Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

stuchyg wrote: »
    Had my bottle of Yellow Snow last night, v disappointed. For a beer that receives such good reviews I felt it was average as it gets, nothing distinctive about it bar the hoppy bitterness

I have to be honest, I generally find Rogue beers over-priced and over-hyped, barring the Mocha Porter and the St Rogue Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sierra Nevada Pale ale on tap in Mulligans.

Doesn't seem as hoppy as a bottle but still nice all the same.

The Sierra Nevada Tumbler has just finished so didn't get any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Pale ale on tap in Mulligans.

Doesn't seem as hoppy as a bottle but still nice all the same.

I don't like it as much on draft. It's filtered as opposed to the extra flavour you get when it's bottle conditioned. Tumbler is great on draft though.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Tumbler is great on draft though.

Had it at the Easterfest recently. Really nice, the hops had a very strong coppery bitterness to them. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

I will be trying some Krombacher later hopefully. I've heard good things about it.

I tried Lech last night for a second time, at a warmer temperature then the previous attempt, and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was compared to my first try. Very tasty beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think I've said it before, but Punk IPA from a can is seriously delicious. More so than from the bottle. I've only had 5.AM Saint on draught, so I can't compare it to draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Just picked up a Bavaria 8.6 8% 'Strong Red Beer', a red super lager, it seemed so disgusting I had to try it.

Also got the Philips Show Case Sampler box which has their pale ale and kolsch which we have on draught in work but also their dunkel and cream ale, probably the first cream ale I've had anyone know what to I should expect of the style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

matrim wrote: »

Craft beer is worth 2.4 bn to the Oregon economy! :eek

Oi Noonan make craft beer tax free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    anyone know what to I should expect of the style?
    Crappy lager, usually full of sweetcorn. Dutch Gold is arguably true-to-style for a cream ale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

BeerNut wrote: »
    Crappy lager, usually full of sweetcorn. Dutch Gold is arguably true-to-style for a cream ale.

Is it just the Bavaria red. I had staropramen red on tap In Germany and couldn't get enough of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

The Krombacher was slightly bland for my taste buds. Won't be buying it again in a hurry.

Have some Brooklyn Larger and Warsteiner in for later in the week, so all is well on the beer front:D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Having a Mikkeller porter, tis grand. Had a Leann Folain on tap last week, so good to see an Irish Brewery making a beer as good as Mikkeller.

Really? I tottled over to Wikipedia which basically said it was a kolsch fermented with ale yeast, so it's basically just a beer someone with no taste can order in a craft beer bar....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Having a little bottle of Duvel tonight. I think it's time to admit that this is my go-to beer for when I just want something nice to help me relax.

so it's basically just a beer someone with no taste can order in a craft beer bar
    I don't really know how "craft" breweries have treated the style. There's a Mikkeller Cream Ale sold in Ireland but I've never tasted it. The archetype is Genessee Cream Ale which I doubt you'll find in many craft beer bars.

I don't really know how "craft" breweries have treated the style. There's a Mikkeller Cream Ale sold in Ireland but I've never tasted it. The archetype is Genessee Cream Ale which I doubt you'll find in many craft beer bars.

I really liked the Mikkeller one. Nice summery beer, almost like a fruit beer but not as sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I really enjoyed Mikkeller Cream Ale. I remember it being creamy and citrusey, a tiny bit like cream soda.

anyone know what to I should expect of the style?
    There we go then. If the brewery makes nice beers you can expect it to be nice; if they don't it probably won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is the Mikkeler the one with the gun on the label? If so, yeah, it's a decent summery beer.

Nothing hugely special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Having a little bottle of Duvel tonight. I think it's time to admit that this is my go-to beer for when I just want something nice to help me relax.

No better choice tbh, I find myself going back to it a lot if it's there

There we go then. If the brewery makes nice beers you can expect it to be nice; if they don't it probably won't be.

Not really true, many breweries make some good and some bad beers, I was asking about the style which I haven't had before.

Okay. Well in that case you're flying blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Has anyone come across any beers from the NZ brewery Monteiths in Ireland?
    They have some great beers/Ale. I would love to get my hands on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Haven't seen Monteiths but Redmons in Ranelagh have some NZ beers from Renaissance and Epic

Had some in the Salt House in Galway when I was there last summer.

Monteiths beers have definitely been around recently but I don't know if they still are.

Ok, thanks for response. I will have to keep looking.
    I'll hassle my local OL too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've definitely bought Monteith's in McHugh's in Artane, so you could try them, there is also a branch in Kilbarrack.

Artane - (01)8311867
    Kilbarrack - (01)8394692

• Advertisement

I've definitely bought Monteith's in McHugh's in Artane, so you could try them, there is also a branch in Kilbarrack.

Artane - (01)8311867
    Kilbarrack - (01)8394692

Great thanks, will take a trip to Artane tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement