Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Morzadec wrote: »
    This is looking really bad...

Had a flight booked to Seville for this morning, rebooked for Tuesday morning. From what I can tell it looks likely that this will be cancelled too, am I correct in assuming this?

I think it is very safe to assuem that it will be cancelled but fingers crossed it's not. I have a flight on Wednesday and from what I've been reading the cloud will be hanging over us causing problems until next weekend and my flight is unlikely to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

watna wrote: »
    I think it is very safe to assuem that it will be cancelled but fingers crossed it's not. I have a flight on Wednesday and from what I've been reading the cloud will be hanging over us causing problems until next weekend and my flight is unlikely to go.

Yeah it's not looking good is it...

It's very annoying because I have paid for a language course and accomadation and I don't know what the prospects of a refund are. It looks like I will miss at least a week of the course at this stage. There's no other real way of getting to Sevilla either without it taking a lot of time and money!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

No it looks bad enough alright now infairness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I really feel for people who have no choice but to get to there destination. I dropped a guy to the ferry yesterday who's travel plans sounded like an expedition. Ferry to Holyhead,wait 4 hours,train to London,train to paris,train or bus to Norway. Luckily he had the means to pay,pity the people who don't.
    On the other side of the coin John Cleese is reported to have paid a taxi €5700 to bring him from Norway to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

dubtom wrote: »
    On the other side of the coin John Cleese is reported to have paid a taxi €5700 to bring him from Norway to Paris.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

dubtom wrote: »
    I really feel for people who have no choice but to get to there destination. I dropped a guy to the ferry yesterday who's travel plans sounded like an expedition. Ferry to Holyhead,wait 4 hours,train to London,train to paris,train or bus to Norway. Luckily he had the means to pay,pity the people who don't.

I'd buy a reasonable banger from the donedeal and drive to Norway and abandon it there before paying that to a Taxi driver. Imagine pure Cleese having to listen to how it was the Polish and Nigerians fault for causing the Volcano and not the Icelanders for several hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The volcano ash god?
    No, you're a bit wide of the mark there. She's the primal Greek goddess of the Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'd buy a reasonable banger from the donedeal and drive to Norway and abandon it there before paying that to a Taxi driver. Imagine pure Cleese having to listen to how it was the Polish and Nigerians fault for causing the Volcano and not the Icelanders for several hours.
    Are Norwegian taxi drivers racists?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,256 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theres no telling how long this ash plume could last for. Days or Longer. But the forecast outlook seems to be that a Low Pressure System will move up and over Britain and Ireland and the North Atlantic Stream will be shoved up as a result. If the plume is still going by then it will start flowing across the Netherlands while the sky should clear up over much of Western Europe, opening up a window for air travel to resume.

Imagine if this thing took weeks to die down... The Mt. Saint Helen eruption in 1980 spewed ash for close to a full month.

• Advertisement

This might sound ridiculous but I have a flight on 11th May and I can't afford to miss it. Do you think it will be sorted by then or am I being really idiotic even asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

As long as it's sorted by July for my expensive-ass holliers I don't give a shite. In fact I'm smugly laughing at all those people on my facebook with a life who are flying back n forth between here and London for weekends etc, but are now whinging that they can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

peanuthead wrote: »
    This might sound ridiculous but I have a flight on 11th May and I can't afford to miss it. Do you think it will be sorted by then or am I being really idiotic even asking?

You either need to be a volcanic god, or have a 100% reliable crystall ball to have a true answer to this.
    I have a flight booked to Dublin for the 2nd of May. None of us can be sure a) when the volcano stops erupting (if it does at all, there is a bigger one called Katla just beside it, so far they have used to erupt in pairs....) b), if it stops, where the winds will blow from, where will the ash be?

So, there is no answer. Everyone (authorities, flight companies, scientists) is in reactive mode, they just cannot afford to admit this , as there would be global panic.

Geographically speaking, what actually causes a volcano? Just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

peanuthead wrote: »
    Geographically speaking, what actually causes a volcano? Just wondering

When two tectonic plates colliide, one is pushed underneath causing it to become molten. This molten material finds a passage to the surface, and so erupts out onto the surface.

consultech wrote: »
    When two tectonic plates colliide, one is pushed underneath causing it to become molten. This molten material finds a passage to the surface, and so erupts out onto the surface.

OR (and in this case), 2 tectonic plates are actually departing, leaving a gap between them -> and the lava finds it way to the surface similarly.
    The middle of the Atlantic is a very long gap like that, all the way from the north to the south.

Another small correction: it is not only the collision that causes the plates to "become molten" - molten material is is below every tectonic plate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you want to see in real time aircraft in flight atm checkout

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/#

And

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Click on any aircraft to get info like type of plane, air speed & ground speed, altitude, departure and arrival etc..

Feck all flying over Northern Europe at the moment.

Looking at the latest ash chart http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271545732.png one of the comments that stood out is the fact that the concentrations of ash within the zone are unknown! According to the BBC news site, KLM sent up a test flight
    but..
    A spokesman for the international airline industry said: "We don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet."

It appears to me that the aviation authorities are unsure what the safety margin is and are playing safe.

Better safe than sorry despite my flight being cancelled!

Looking at the latest ash chart http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271545732.png one of the comments that stood out is the fact that the concentrations of ash within the zone are unknown! According to the BBC news site, KLM sent up a test flight
    but..

It appears to me that the aviation authorities are unsure what the safety margin is and are playing safe.

Better safe than sorry despite my flight being cancelled!

True. I'm not gonna fly unless everyone firmly states it is 100% safe again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 wasssuuup

Did anyone hear that noise outside and see the sky light up???!!!
    probably the wrong place to post this....maybe not actually!

wasssuuup wrote: »
    Did anyone hear that noise outside and see the sky light up???!!!
    probably the wrong place to post this....maybe not actually!

Yes, it was the missus giving out about the flight being cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

but..

I posted this in the CT forum because, well..

http://avherald.com/h?article=42a3d003&opt=0

after everything that's happened in the last week, that just seems.. odd!

I posted this in the CT forum because, well..

http://avherald.com/h?article=42a3d003&opt=0

after everything that's happened in the last week, that just seems.. odd!

"Fuel Emergency!" maybe flying at a lower than planned atitiude could have used up more fuel than planned... or did ash get into the "works".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

"Fuel Emergency!" maybe flying at a lower than planned atitiude could have used up more fuel than planned... or did ash get into the "works".

Dunno.. for a 'test' flight you'd reckon they'd have done the maths. It's not going to fill people with confidence should the other test flights be a success :D

Either way, flying below 10,000 feet is not going to be a viable solution for regular air traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you want to see in real time aircraft in flight atm checkout

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/#

And

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Click on any aircraft to get info like type of plane, air speed & ground speed, altitude, departure and arrival etc..

Feck all flying over Northern Europe at the moment.

Feck all flying over the states either....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Feck all flying over the states either....
    Their sources look lacking, is all. And localized to a few major hubs.

They did however cancel the Charleston Expo earlier this week. My guess being so the AFB could fill as many flights as it could while it could still hop through Europe. Anyway, I had to settle for the Blue Angels down at the harbor (awesome show) but no F-22 demonstration :( very disappointed.

http://charlestonairexpo.com/

Dunno.. for a 'test' flight you'd reckon they'd have done the maths. It's not going to fill people with confidence should the other test flights be a success :D

They are not the same flights one was an official KLM test flight the one you linked to was a scheduled flight, by a different airline!.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

True. I'm not gonna fly unless everyone firmly states it is 100% safe again.
    superman where have u been

Advertisement