Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So can anyone confirm is it just a typical crappy overcast day or is it Iceland ruining the nice blue sky we've had all week? It certainly doesn't look like ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Christ. Myself and a mate have a flight from Dublin to Fuerteventura for 7:20 on Saturday morning. This sh1t better blow over.

I can see it now......

Q:"Hey Fizman how did your chill out week in the sun go?"
    A:"Oh we couldn't go because of volcano smoke in Iceland".
    Q:"Ahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahaa".
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We won't see any effect until dinner time (that's 6pm for you culchies).

It's just an overcast day.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You can see the lack of flights over UK and Ireland from the link below. It shows live flight tracking. You can click on any particular flight to see where its coming from and going to. Was only sent the link for the site yesterday. The ones in red are about to crash as far as I know.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

There's a question mark flying over Wicklow! The Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Great. Absolutely brilliant. Haven't been home since September and was scheduled to fly out today. Annoyingly, my flight is still listed as 'on time' and 'scheduled' but it surely can't be. I see Irish airspace is closed until 8pm, I'm scheduled to fly into Belfast for 8.30 - does that count as Irish airspace?
    Looks like I'll have to hang around waiting all day, I can't rebook until my flight is cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I remember an Icelandic volcano dumped a coating of red ash over here about 10 years ago - it made cars dirty but didn't close any airports as far as I can remember.

It could have been this

The same happened in Ireland about 15 years ago but I can't find a source! I remember it so well because I was getting in the car to go to school and we were curious about the red powder on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Great. Absolutely brilliant. Haven't been home since September and was scheduled to fly out today. Annoyingly, my flight is still listed as 'on time' and 'scheduled' but it surely can't be. I see Irish airspace is closed until 8pm, I'm scheduled to fly into Belfast for 8.30 - does that count as Irish airspace?
    Looks like I'll have to hang around waiting all day, I can't rebook until my flight is cancelled.

I'd imagine this is British Airspace which is closed until 6pm (at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

kelle wrote: »
    It could have been this

The same happened in Ireland about 15 years ago but I can't find a source! I remember it so well because I was getting in the car to go to school and we were curious about the red powder on the car.

I remember all the red powder, was that not sand from the Sahara Desert though? Or were my parents bull sh1tting me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I remember all the red powder, was that not sand from the Sahara Desert though? Or were my parents bull sh1tting me?

That was Sahara dust. There are even places to check the dust forecast from the Sahara : http://forecast.uoa.gr/dustindx.php

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What a sickner for people travelling. Of all the reasons you might have reasonably have expected for a cancellation, volcanic ash probably wasn't one of 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah the red dust was saharan sand which came down with the rain. It happens a good deal more often.

This is the best-known case of what happens when you fly through volcanic ash:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

I'm going travelling for a year starting tomorrow.

Looks like I'm stuck here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Webmonkey wrote: »
    The good looking women are in Thailand, ive no more interest in western ones
    Men who go to Thailand for women are normally into trannys or 10 year old's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Anyone know what direction the cloud is heading?

Also is it due to clear Ireland by tomorrow evening?

Due to fly back from Poland tomorrow evening into Dublin

kelle wrote: »
    It could have been this

Yes you're right, that's what my link is about (sorry, I posted the wrong link before!!)

shinny wrote: »
    I'd imagine this is British Airspace which is closed until 6pm (at least)

Perhaps they really are intending to fly. It's just irritating not knowing either way. I better not get all the way out to Heathrow to be told it's cancelled.
    Stupid Iceland! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Wazdakka wrote: »
    That's a really cool website.

This one is better, gives you the details of the plane such as the airline, speed and where's it going to and from

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

Jip wrote: »
    This one is better, gives you the details of the plane such as the airline, speed and where's it going to and from

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

And on it right now is an Icelandair plane which is going from Reykjavik to Amsterdam - WTF??? If planes can take off from Reykjavik, why not north UK?

It's south of Rosslare Harbour now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

but, but, a VOLCANO Joe

Liveline today will be hilarious:D

There's also a cityjet flight from Paris approaching London. Will it have to circle the airport until tomorrow? :D

• Advertisement

I wonder if Saturday will be OK. I've rebooked for Saturday morning, thinking that tomorrow will be chaos after today's cancellations. I'm already thinking I should've gone for the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Trying to rebook with ryaniar online but none of the flights from ireland are listed as cancelled after 8am so you cant do it even though they are cancelled. Ryanair not answering any phones...any ideas anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You can see the lack of flights over UK and Ireland from the link below. It shows live flight tracking. You can click on any particular flight to see where its coming from and going to. Was only sent the link for the site yesterday. The ones in red are about to crash as far as I know.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Savage website. There's just been a collision over Prest in France. Should I call someone?!?

s_carnage wrote: »
    Savage website. There's just been a collision over Prest in France. Should I call someone?!?

Nah, sure it's only France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The dots might appear to be hitting each other but aircraft are separated vertically. i.e. one is at 25,000 ft, another at 27,000 ft.

Plus, them sites are just for fun. Not accurate at all. They don't have access to radar feed from most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

I was supposed to have a job interview in England for a position I really wanted and thought I had a pretty good chance of getting.

Volcano ash, come on. Surely that's a sign i'm destined to be unemployed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

kraggy wrote: »
    The dots might appear to be hitting each other but aircraft are separated vertically. i.e. one is at 25,000 ft, another at 27,000 ft.

Plus, them sites are just for fun. Not accurate at all. They don't have access to radar feed from most countries.

Sorry I forgot to add :rolleyes: to my post!!

Sorry I forgot to add :rolleyes: to my post!!

You should always be carefull using the rolleyes smiley, people always think you're being smarmy. I'd have used :p, but then again I got your joke without any smileys, but I am a super genius. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I bet Jim Corr has a theory on this already.

Jim? Come in Jim. You there Jim? It's me, AnonoBoy!

Somebody might need to shine the Corr light into the night sky to get his attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Im in south Norway now, perfect blue skies at the moment, can't see a thing. The whole Norwegian airspace is closed for the day.

Advertisement