Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it would have lost 15m or so before the dvd and album was released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

it would have lost 15m or so before the dvd and album was released

They lost money on the Orion festival too apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They lost money on the Orion festival too apparently.
    and their faith in the American music scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭briany

They've lost money on recent ventures and can't have made much money on others. I shouldn't imagine Lulu quite netted a windfall of any serious kind. Kind of gives more credence to the theory that they have to play it safe with this upcoming album. Sure, they'll still figure they can make money through their other income streams (touring and Blackened Recordings) but a successful album would great relieve the pressure. Don't forget that a big album also helps keep them relevant. Metallica are big, but nothing's 'too big to fail'. Or, rather, 'too big to downsize'. Maybe Kirk could have to move into that bungalow one day after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

briany wrote: »
    They've lost money on recent ventures and can't have made much money on others. I shouldn't imagine Lulu quite netted a windfall of any serious kind. Kind of gives more credence to the theory that they have to play it safe with this upcoming album. Sure, they'll still figure they can make money through their other income streams (touring and Blackened Recordings) but a successful album would great relieve the pressure. Don't forget that a big album also helps keep them relevant. Metallica are big, but nothing's 'too big to fail'. Or, rather, 'too big to downsize'. Maybe Kirk could have to move into that bungalow one day after all...

Well Kirk spends $480,000 per annum on security and helpers for his ranch, and that's just the ranch, throw in the other houses, his love of private jets and god only knows what he's spending per year. At least James will travel with the rest of us "civilians" when he's not touring.

He's on YouTube on regular flights, can't post a link, not enough posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Referring to the forthcoming 10th album, Paul Brannigan sums it up nicely here on Metal Hammer:

"Perhaps the keys then to Metallica’s future lie somewhere in the foundations of their remarkable career. While they work upon their new album, Metallica are also currently engaged in over-seeing the upcoming deluxe reissues of Kill ‘Em All and Ride The Lightning, and helping collate material for writer Matt Taylor’s forthcoming book on Master Of Puppets. As they sift through relics of the past, it might just be that Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield in particular are reminded of what fearless, intuitive, cocky little ****s they used to be in their late teens and early 20s, how little they gave a **** about outside perceptions of their band and how bold and unapologetic each step forward was undertaken. For beyond specific sounds and songs, if Metallica fans want anything from their favourite band in 2015 it’s surely this – the knowledge that once again their heroes are playing from their ****ing hearts. Thirty years ago, as he sat down to pen the lyrics of Metallica mission statement Damage Inc., James Hetfield wrote of his band’s desire to “follow instinct not a trend”, to “go against the grain until the end.” Exactly how close to “the end” the quartet are right now we don’t know, but those defiant words can still inform Metallica’s DNA in 2015... without any guidance from corporate ‘brand consultants’. **** it all and ****ing no regrets, remember James? We’re waiting gents, we’re waiting…"

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/features/2015-01-20/metallica-album-10-suicide-or-redemption

It's a lot easier, though, to be artistically uncompromising when you have little to lose. Clearly they are in a different place than they were 30+
    years ago, and that has certain unavoidable implications. I mean, if they truly shut off the outside and just listened to their own hearts, they might have made that 'Echo Chamber' song.

briany wrote: »
    It's a lot easier, though, to be artistically uncompromising when you have little to lose. Clearly they are in a different place than they were 30+
    years ago, and that has certain unavoidable implications. I mean, if they truly shut off the outside and just listened to their own hearts, they might have made that 'Echo Chamber' song.

What was the echo chamber song?

It was a little idea that they were tricking about with in the Presidio Sessions after attending a Sigur Ros concert. Lars' father heard it and thought it was rubbish, commenting that it sounded like it was recorded in an echo chamber. It's not even a song really, just a fragment. Lars said on SKOM that Cliff Burnstein (their manager) thought this should open the record. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It was a piece of music that Lars thought should open St Anger.

Lars' Dad heard it and said "Delete that!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I actually think that it wouldn't be that bad as an intro......

This is why I would never make it in the music industry!

I actually think that it wouldn't be that bad as an intro......

This is why I would never make it in the music industry!

Maybe on a different record, but hard to hear anything like it prefacing St. Anger.

So Jason is out of Metallica 14 years, that was the quickest 29 years ever. I still remember when they hired him!, Cliff will be dead 30 years next year. AJFA is 27 years old, Puppets is 30 years old next year.

Anyone else feel old? What's great about those albums is that they don't sound old, the crap that's peddled out these days will be forgotten quickly. I regularly listen to AJFA, it's probably my favourite Metallica album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Puppets is 30 years old next year.

Even I feel old when I think that I saw the anniversary show for when Puppets was 20 years old. And I'm not even old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Just listening to the St Anger album again. James Hetfield has a good screaming voice.

Some good screaming lyrics are:

"Not only do I not know the answer" from My World:

@3:25

The 2nd and 3rd "Frantic tic tic tic toc" verses in Frantic

@5:03

"Set it FREEE" from St Anger

@6:05

Probably more that I forgot. Here's a few live ones:

@2:18

@30:00

@6:30

Robert Trujillo is on the latest episode of Talk is Jericho. He talks about his career, his time with Metallica so far and the new documentary on Jaco Pastorious he's making. Here is a direct download link .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I think St. Anger still had good qualities, I understand that it's obviously not the best album they put out but Kirk gave a good description of it on MTV Icon I think it was, he said it was more of a statement of where they were as a band at that time.

I had only just discovered Metallica as a teenager when that album came out, it was actually the first Metallica album I bought, I had heard them in the previous year but didn't really have the dosh to buy albums then so I bought all their albums throughout 2003.

When I listen to St. Anger now, it takes me back to the time when I discovered their music and how great it was listening to song after song and having my socks blown off. So St. Anger to me will always be a great album, not as good as the old stuff but still it's relevant to me.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I think St. Anger still had good qualities, I understand that it's obviously not the best album they put out but Kirk gave a good description of it on MTV Icon I think it was, he said it was more of a statement of where they were as a band at that time.

I had only just discovered Metallica as a teenager when that album came out, it was actually the first Metallica album I bought, I had heard them in the previous year but didn't really have the dosh to buy albums then so I bought all their albums throughout 2003.

When I listen to St. Anger now, it takes me back to the time when I discovered their music and how great it was listening to song after song and having my socks blown off. So St. Anger to me will always be a great album, not as good as the old stuff but still it's relevant to me.

I was the opposite, I discovered them when Master of puppets came out, to me back in 2003, St Anger was what I thought to be their final album, I was gutted Jason left and I just thought they should stop and hang up the guitars before they embarrass themselves even further.

It's great to see now all those years later, the comeback they have made touring and mega shows, the movie was cool, and their sound is refined. I'm glad they didn't pursue the St Anger sound much further after the album.

Dyres eve has only been played 35 times live, this video is the cleanest, most flawless version of the song I have ever heard, it's amazing, it has to be one of my favorite metallica live videos at the moment. This is better that the album version, have a look at this.

• Advertisement

I was the opposite, I discovered them when Master of puppets came out, to me back in 2003, St Anger was what I thought to be their final album, I was gutted Jason left and I just thought they should stop and hang up the guitars before they embarrass themselves even further.

It's great to see now all those years later, the comeback they have made touring and mega shows, the movie was cool, and their sound is refined. I'm glad they didn't pursue the St Anger sound much further after the album.

Would have been great to discover them in their heyday and even see them live then too, they were absolutely flawless back in the day, nobody could touch them in regard to the intensity and heaviness of their musicianship.

Wasn't a fan of the band when Jason left, but even I would like to see him back in the band, his backing vocals were awesome and he was really good to the fans so I'm told. It was just an awful shame Jason felt he had to jump ship due to the power struggle and big egos from James and Lars and not letting him contribute more so that he wouldn't feel the need to go and do a side project. I do like Trujillo though, great player and seems like a very mellow dude.

One thing though that's been pestering me about the band now is that they don't sound gainy enough, like their sound used to be ugly but good ugly if you get me, now they sound a bit flat, even live. If you see any older footage, bootleg or professionally shot, the sound had a lot more bite in it. It's missing the bite your head off quality. They can pull the rabbit out of the hat sometimes but other times you just know something is missing.

If you see any older footage, bootleg or professionally shot, the sound had a lot more bite in it. It's missing the bite your head off quality. They can pull the rabbit out of the hat sometimes but other times you just know something is missing.

Yeah there is the flatness these days, definitely never going to play like this again.

Yeah there is the flatness these days, definitely never going to play like this again.

Epic performance,

Shows like this make me wish I was 10-15 years older than I am!

That Seattle performance was fueled by youth, anger, alcohol, coke (for Lars and Kirk), and the knowledge that there would be several soapy local women waiting for them in the shower after the gig. I think since they've given all those things up (to the best of our knowledge), any performance these days that gets anywhere close is some achievement.

Look at the Dyres eve performance, brilliant!

Look at the Dyres eve performance, brilliant!

Great performance alright, one song I'd love to get to hear next time they're in Dublin. Going to try score a meet and greet pass too since I'm in Metclub. They are still throwing the odd date in the mix for Europe during the summer, Italy got announced as a one off last week.

We might get a show if we keep our fingers crossed, no Dublin show since 2009, we're due one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Great performance alright, one song I'd love to get to hear next time they're in Dublin. Going to try score a meet and greet pass too since I'm in Metclub. They are still throwing the odd date in the mix for Europe during the summer, Italy got announced as a one off last week.

We might get a show if we keep our fingers crossed, no Dublin show since 2009, we're due one

Extremely doubtful, i remember an interview from Peter Mensch (may have been Burnstein) where he says they look into economies and all that crap before booking, to see if a show is financially feasible, and IMO Dublin just isn't.

As part of a World tour we may get one, but as a one off gig in a very small tour, not a chance

scudzilla wrote: »
    Extremely doubtful, i remember an interview from Peter Mensch (may have been Burnstein) where he says they look into economies and all that crap before booking, to see if a show is financially feasible, and IMO Dublin just isn't.

As part of a World tour we may get one, but as a one off gig in a very small tour, not a chance

Well they did come here during the Escape From The Studio Tour in 06, that wasn't in support of any album, but I suppose that was before the economic crash. In 08 and 09 it was for the hype leading up to the Death Magnetic release and the world tour that followed.

The economy is still pretty hit and miss and we're only really getting bands coming here that recently have an album out. Shame really, we often miss out on bands that do European runs. We really need our own festivals similar to say Donnington/Sonisphere or Rock Am Ring that have a good mix of music. Forget Oxegen, it's turned into a heap of s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Well they did come here during the Escape From The Studio Tour in 06, that wasn't in support of any album, but I suppose that was before the economic crash. In 08 and 09 it was for the hype leading up to the Death Magnetic release and the world tour that followed.

The economy is still pretty hit and miss and we're only really getting bands coming here that recently have an album out. Shame really, we often miss out on bands that do European runs. We really need our own festivals similar to say Donnington/Sonisphere or Rock Am Ring that have a good mix of music. Forget Oxegen, it's turned into a heap of s**t.

yeah, everyone had a hot tub in their garden back then and a holiday home in Bulgaria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I think even back in 08 and 09 there was still an element of touring to support/promote an album - I'm taking about bands in general not just Metallica.

Since then album sales have dropped even further so the notion of touring an album is completely gone. On a pure numbers basis it doesn't really make sense for any band to play Ireland. A lot of smaller bands actually lose money by playing here.

For larger touring bands they have to make the decision of playing Ireland for one show versus possibly 2 shows in the UK or Europe as the logistics of getting crew and gear off our island and onto the next show means they will probably lose an extra day.

Advertisement