Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Well they did come here during the Escape From The Studio Tour in 06, that wasn't in support of any album, but I suppose that was before the economic crash. In 08 and 09 it was for the hype leading up to the Death Magnetic release and the world tour that followed.

The economy is still pretty hit and miss and we're only really getting bands coming here that recently have an album out. Shame really, we often miss out on bands that do European runs. We really need our own festivals similar to say Donnington/Sonisphere or Rock Am Ring that have a good mix of music. Forget Oxegen, it's turned into a heap of s**t.

When they played here in 2006(the same weekend as GN'R, it was part of the Download festival. They dubbed the weekend "Download Dublin".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

When they played here in 2006(the same weekend as GN'R, it was part of the Download festival. They dubbed the weekend "Download Dublin".

Oh yeah I remember they tried to do a Download fest here as a once off. The posters with the logo were all over Dublin when my mates and I went up that weekend for the gig.

Clearly it didn't take off, personally I think it's lame that we once tried to copy England and hijack their festival title. Ireland should be able to come up with it's own. Maybe when I win the Euromillions, like one of those mega huge jackpots, I'll buy a big chunk of land and host my own festival, you're all invited lads! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I remember they tried to do a Download fest here as a once off. The posters with the logo were all over Dublin when my mates and I went up that weekend for the gig.

Clearly it didn't take off, personally I think it's lame that we once tried to copy England and hijack their festival title. Ireland should be able to come up with it's own. Maybe when I win the Euromillions, like one of those mega huge jackpots, I'll buy a big chunk of land and host my own festival, you're all invited lads! :pac:

Not true it was tried by the Download festival organizers they tried it in Scotland too said its highly unlikely to done again

Not true it was tried by the Download festival organizers they tried it in Scotland too said its highly unlikely to done again

Oh really? I stand corrected, kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The gig in 2003 was billed as 'Reading Ireland' as it was the same week as the Reading & Leeds festivals. Although with only 3 bands it was a bit of a stretch to call it a 'festival'...

• Advertisement

peter1892 wrote: »
    The gig in 2003 was billed as 'Reading Ireland' as it was the same week as the Reading & Leeds festivals. Although with only 3 bands it was a bit of a stretch to call it a 'festival'...

Was that the year Stinkin Park and Losprophets(featuring that scumbag) supported?? Place was full of bloody kids :-(

Was that the year Stinkin Park and Losprophets(featuring that scumbag) supported?? Place was full of bloody kids :-(

2003 was Linkin Park & The Darkness

2004 was Slipknot and Lostprophets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

2003 was Linkin Park & The Darkness

2004 was Slipknot and Lostprophets

I bumped into the darkness when I was walking to the jacks after their set and got to high five them. I was surprised that they smelled amazing. Lovely bunch of chaps.

Didn't stone sour play at the same time as Linkin Park? There was some sort of tent set up as a second stage that year.

Didn't stone sour play at the same time as Linkin Park? There was some sort of tent set up as a second stage that year.

That was 06 they played in a tent while Alice and Chains were on

That year was Metallica doin MOP/Avenged Sevenfold/AIC

Stone Sour were one of a few bands playing in a tent

Korn were meant to play but pulled out so A7X got bumped up to main support.

06 at the RDS was the one dubbed Download Festival Ireland other day was Guns N' Roses/Bullet for my Valentine/Funeral for A friend among others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭briany

I bumped into the darkness when I was walking to the jacks after their set and got to high five them. I was surprised that they smelled amazing. Lovely bunch of chaps.

2003 was the year of the Darkness, as I recall. Remember the great concert they did in Brixton Academy that was televised on MTV2? I think The Music played that one as well.

Speaking of bands that supported Metallica, didn't Soil play one of those concerts in 2003/04 as well. Remember them? They had that 'Halo' song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

briany wrote: »
    2003 was the year of the Darkness, as I recall. Remember the great concert they did in Brixton Academy that was televised on MTV2? I think The Music played that one as well.

Speaking of bands that supported Metallica, didn't Soil play one of those concerts in 2003/04 as well. Remember them? They had that 'Halo' song.

Completely forgot about Soil! Serious flashback there! Can remember them vaguely supporting them in '03 I think? They're still going too it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The last few pages of this thread have made me laugh. We're all like Abe Simpson trying to remember things from only 10-12 years ago. Our brains are mush it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The last few pages of this thread have made me laugh. We're all like Abe Simpson trying to remember things from only 10-12 years ago. Our brains are mush it seems.

Yep! I even forgot I was at the RDS gig with Avenged Sevenfold. As in, completely forgot the entire gig until it was mentioned above. I recall avenged played 'walk' by Pantera, that's about it for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Soil didn't play in 03 anyway. Maybe on the second stage in 06 but don't think so. Fairly sure we're only two support acts in 04 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

Mushy wrote: »
    Soil didn't play in 03 anyway. Maybe on the second stage in 06 but don't think so. Fairly sure we're only two support acts in 04 too.

04 was Lostprophets and Slipknot. No other support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I remember at the RDS gig in 06 with Avenged and AIC, there was a rumour spreading like wildfire that Korn were scheduled to play but the singer fell out a window or something like that hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭briany

I first heard Metallica in 1932. In those days, they didn't have Kirk Hammett but a sort of red haired dancing ape that danced when a barrel organ was played. An orangutan I believe it was called. That was one talented monkey! 'Course, no-one had really figured out how to mosh yet so we all ran around in a circle around a chair and fought to sit down when the music stopped, as was the style at the time.

Completely forgot about Soil! Serious flashback there! Can remember them vaguely supporting them in '03 I think? They're still going too it seems.

I actually saw them around this time last year supporting Skindred in the Manchester Academy was good auld craic, think I heard the singer had an accident or something not long after.

Don't remember a band called "Soil" supporting Metallica in the RDS???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I remember at the RDS gig in 06 with Avenged and AIC, there was a rumour spreading like wildfire that Korn were scheduled to play but the singer fell out a window or something like that hahaha

He had to pull out due to some blood thing. Had to pull out, A7X got bumped, AIC got moved to mainstage. What imbicile thought AIC should play second stage?

http://www.mtv.com/news/1534074/korns-jonathan-davis-hospitalized-with-blood-ailment-tour-canceled/

• Advertisement

Not only were they moved to the main stage but they went on earlier too. I remember strolling down to the gig thinking that song sounds like an AIC one and sure enough they were nearly finished their set by the time I got in. I heard two songs I think.

briany wrote: »
    I first heard Metallica in 1932. In those days, they didn't have Kirk Hammett but a sort of red haired dancing ape that danced when a barrel organ was played. An orangutan I believe it was called. That was one talented monkey! 'Course, no-one had really figured out how to mosh yet so we all ran around in a circle around a chair and fought to sit down when the music stopped, as was the style at the time.

1932??? Lol :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Metallica tours have become so repetitive that only the support act tells them apart.

ush wrote: »
    Metallica tours have become so repetitive that only the support act tells them apart.

Surely you could say the same about numerous bands that have had the same longevity.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

1932??? Lol :-)
    I first saw them in 1862 when Dave Mustaine was still in the band.

ush wrote: »

Was 03 the one when Enter Sandman was the last song before the encore or was that 04?

PMSL

<snip> double post. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The 2006 show is easy to remember because they played all of Master of Puppets. Other than that I dug Alice in Chains but was disinterested with Avenged Sevenfold. Also, lol at the disappointed people I saw in the queue wearing Korn shirts.

• Advertisement

Jonathan Davis caught some sort of blood infection and was too ill to come over from Donnington to Dublin to do the show that day, that's what was revealed later apparently.

Advertisement