Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

briany wrote: »
    The really weird thing, to me, about Jason is that he consciously pulled most of, if not all, his online presence. That was calculated by him or someone close to him after he would have given the say-so. A lot of celebrities would just straight up abandon their accounts or leave a note to say they won't be posting as much. Jason just did away with it all in one fell swoop and the suddenness, open-endedness and totality of it is a pretty striking. Also, Jason's a smart guy, he surely would have figured that such a move would make people even more curious about his situation, his state of mind and that in a total info void wild speculation can abound.

Then again, for all we know, he could be laughing his head off in his Montana ranch right now. It just seems unlikely since the way he's conducted his public affairs doesn't usually seem to stem from being in a good place.

I've heard james illuminati tattoo ordered a hit on him for doing so well, so he quit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Depression. Happens to the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

ush wrote: »
    Depression. Happens to the best of us.

I think most people figure Jason's down, they're just wondering what brought it all on. Jason has no history of manic depression that I know of. He has a history of depression but that was due to circumstances like being unable to play music because of injury, which is an understandable depression. You would have thought Newsted, with his new band, would have been on top of the world but apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think most people figure Jason's down, they're just wondering what brought it all on. Jason has no history of manic depression that I know of. He has a history of depression but that was due to circumstances like being unable to play music because of injury, which is an understandable depression. You would have thought Newsted, with his new band, would have been on top of the world but apparently not.

That's the thing with depression. It can happen to anyone. Rich, poor, famous or your next door neighbour. Obviously not the thread for going into it in detail but you just never know what someone is going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The shit thing about depression is that it doesn't need a reason. That's what makes it so awful, it just creeps in one day and hangs around. You feel blue, well not blue, just disconnected, apathetic and empty, but don't know why, and aren't arsed doing anything about it as you are depressed. Vicious cycle. It helps to talk, but even that can seem pointless at times. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, hope that's not what is going on with Jason :(

• Advertisement

I know a few folks here might dismiss this, but Jason May be depressed that he's not in the Metallica machine anymore. I know at the time he said it was good for him to leave, but James is calm and sober, James has also said that rob has contributed more than Jason. The movie was made, which Jason probably thought he should have been part of. It was a good movie, and Jason was part of the best times of Metallica

Maybe Jason is jealous of the Metallica success these days and really wants that back.

I know a few folks here might dismiss this, but Jason May be depressed that he's not in the Metallica machine anymore. I know at the time he said it was good for him to leave, but James is calm and sober, James has also said that rob has contributed more than Jason. The movie was made, which Jason probably thought he should have been part of. It was a good movie, and Jason was part of the best times of Metallica

Maybe Jason is jealous of the Metallica success these days and really wants that back.

We know that Jason never really wanted to leave Metallica, but at the time he felt like he was given little other option. Look at any live performance during his time there and you can tell Jason LOVED playing in that band. They all did, and do, but Jason had a particular energy about him because he was basically the superfan who made it big and that showed in his intensity. He was and still is, in my opinion, the evangelist of Metallica. So yeah, it is possible that no longer being part of Metallica is a sore point for him even if it was the necessary move at the time, although I personally doubt it's anything to do with whatever is currently going on with him.

The evangelist of Metallica? :rolleyes:

ush wrote: »
    The evangelist of Metallica? :rolleyes:

Yes, as in someone who puts their message out with a lot of fervor. In Jason's case that was Metallica's music and being very in touch with the fans. I think James jokes on Behind the Music, IIRC, that they all signed autographs and that stuff, but Jason would practically be chasing down fans to give 'em stuff. He was pretty intense about Metallica is what I'm saying, and although you might disagree, I think evangelical, or evangelist is a pretty good adjective for it.

Yes, as in someone who puts their message out with a lot of fervor. In Jason's case that was Metallica's music and being very in touch with the fans. I think James jokes on Behind the Music, IIRC, that they all signed autographs and that stuff, but Jason would practically be chasing down fans to give 'em stuff. He was pretty intense about Metallica is what I'm saying, and although you might disagree, I think evangelical, or evangelist is a pretty good adjective for it.

Yeah Jason was all that, but did anyone think for a second about the interview he did in January 2013 with Scuzz? This would have píssed James off to no end. James is a grudge holding vindictive fūcker, how you know this is listening to his lyrics, he holds grudges, Dyres eve etc.. Jason would have been introduced to all the major players through metallica, those major producers, managers etc. it wouldn't surprise me if James wanted to crush his career and told them not to work with him/ or made it really hard for him.

Wild speculation obviously, but James has major pull in the metal industry and he's a vindictive fúcker, if you are not loyal to him you are finished, you could see it at the reunion, James wanted nothing to do with Jason, and Jason looked a little miffed and hurt, especially when James hugged Rob. If that was me, I would be depressed about it too, fúck the 40 million, He was happy in metallica.

Which he was, and the brotherhood they have now probably kills him.

• Advertisement

Yeah Jason was all that, but did anyone think for a second about the interview he did in January 2013 with Scuzz? This would have píssed James off to no end. James is a grudge holding vindictive fūcker, how you know this is listening to his lyrics, he holds grudges, Dyres eve etc.. Jason would have been introduced to all the major players through metallica, those major producers, managers etc. it wouldn't surprise me if James wanted to crush his career and told them not to work with him/ or made it really hard for him.

Wild speculation obviously, but James has major pull in the metal industry and he's a vindictive fúcker, if you are not loyal to him you are finished, you could see it at the reunion, James wanted nothing to do with Jason, and Jason looked a little miffed and hurt, especially when James hugged Rob. If that was me, I would be depressed about it too, fúck the 40 million, He was happy in metallica.

Which he was, and the brotherhood they have now probably kills him.

I never got a vindictive feeling off of James. He might have been mad at the time of Jason's leaving, but James was going through plenty of his own issues at that point as well. James may even be grateful to Jason for doing what he did because his leaving put a gear in the works of the Metallica machine, allowing the members to take a much needed break and go work on themselves.

I never got a vindictive feeling off of James. He might have been mad at the time of Jason's leaving, but James was going through plenty of his own issues at that point as well. James may even be grateful to Jason for doing what he did because his leaving put a gear in the works of the Metallica machine, allowing the members to take a much needed break and go work on themselves.

To be honest, Jason Newsted saved metallica, and put them in the place they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rob took the job and retired

Rob took the job and retired

That's fair to say alright, he's just loving being a super heavy metal band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

To be honest, Jason Newsted saved metallica, and put them in the place they are now.

How did he save them?

How did he save them?

It's clear that Metallica were hurting back in 2000/1. That's part of what necessitated the hiring of Phil Towle, to act as a group therapist. It's also fair to say that Newsted's departure knocked some of the momentum out of the group. Jason even says in his Scuzz interview that he suggested Metallica take a hiatus of one year to sort themselves out but his suggestion was shot down in order to keep the Metallica machine going. In SKOM, the impression I get is that his departure brought other things to a head and that eventually led to some healing, particularly for James. Did Jason save the band by leaving? We don't have a crystal ball to know what course events would have taken if Newsted had stayed but in the course of events we do know, his departure led to some needed soul-searching that improved the harmony of the band and James in particular.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

So, this could be good news

http://instagram.com/p/x7_cdkyS__/

How did he save them?

What briany said, it was the catalyst for their future, Jason made them all look inside and realise the treated him like a schmuck, 40 million can never get the brotherhood that is so evident in metallica now.

They are now the band Jason wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How did he save them?

They were as good as Finished after the black tour...Jason was the rock!

Still get the sinking feeling that Metallica will end up putting out an album that's basically Death Magnetic Pt. II (7/8) years on. Holy cr*p, it's been that long...

And don't get me wrong, Death Magnetic was a cool sounding record and I enjoyed it for what it was, but I would like to hear the band come out with something a bit surprising, a bit challenging at times even, because it was always a strength of theirs to push on and do something that was an evolution. However, I feel like I'm a bit in the minority in this sentiment and that a DM pt. II is exactly what a lot of people would like to hear. I wonder, though, is it what the band really wants to hear, or make? It's been stated by Kirk Hammett, for one, that there isn't the money in making records that there used to be and touring (and I would imagine merch, also) is where the money is made nowadays. I suppose that means that whatever record they do make has to do well enough in the marketplace to justify the money spent on making and promoting it - a decent profit margin. Even if they wanted to take a creative departure, they couldn't really afford to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Still get the sinking feeling that Metallica will end up putting out an album that's basically Death Magnetic Pt. II (7/8) years on. Holy cr*p, it's been that long...

And don't get me wrong, Death Magnetic was a cool sounding record and I enjoyed it for what it was, but I would like to hear the band come out with something a bit surprising, a bit challenging at times even, because it was always a strength of theirs to push on and do something that was an evolution. However, I feel like I'm a bit in the minority in this sentiment and that a DM pt. II is exactly what a lot of people would like to hear. I wonder, though, is it what the band really wants to hear, or make? It's been stated by Kirk Hammett, for one, that there isn't the money in making records that there used to be and touring (and I would imagine merch, also) is where the money is made nowadays. I suppose that means that whatever record they do make has to do well enough in the marketplace to justify the money spent on making and promoting it - a decent profit margin. Even if they wanted to take a creative departure, they couldn't really afford to.

It's not like they need the money though.....???

The record justifies touring for a few more years. Half the staff used on production are probably kept on retainer. Blackening Recordings is their own label, so the don't have to worry about Warner anymore. I suspect anything experimental will either be individual tracks or held over for solo projects.

It's not like they need the money though.....???

It is, actually. That is if they wish to keep up the lifestyle "to which they are accustomed" and provide for their families well into the future, maybe even a few generations hence. A lifestyle such as they're used to takes a lot of money to maintain, with multiple houses, cars, ranches, expensive educations for the kids, horror collectibles to be bought etc. etc. There's also pressure, I would imagine, to make money for the whole Metallica organisation, not just the band.

Sure they could all sell the houses and everything else, move into a modest bungalow and drive a second hand four door sedan, and chip away at those millions (and millions!) for decades to come but I don't think that's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

It is, actually. That is if they wish to keep up the lifestyle "to which they are accustomed" and provide for their families well into the future, maybe even a few generations hence. A lifestyle such as they're used to takes a lot of money to maintain, with multiple houses, cars, ranches, expensive educations for the kids, horror collectibles to be bought etc. etc. There's also pressure, I would imagine, to make money for the whole Metallica organisation, not just the band.

Sure they could all sell the houses and everything else, move into a modest bungalow and drive a second hand four door sedan, and chip away at those millions (and millions!) for decades to come but I don't think that's happening.

That's right sure, its a big business really, they have a lot of people working for them, especially in their HQ and the mountain of merch they have to sell, they have a rediculous amount of merch. Wouldn't touch half of it to be honest, t-shirts is the only thing I go for.

I also posted this question on the MetallicaBB and a poster mentions that financial worries wouldn't be concern since they now own all of their master recordings since going independent with Blackened Recordings, a good point which I hadn't thought of. If that's the case, though, why the concern from Kirk, and why have they kept up touring since 2012 when the deal came into place? They have said they'd spend more time at home with the family if they could, but seemingly they can't. Couldn't they, as now full owners of their back catalog, rest easy knowing the lion's share of every future royalty from record sales will be coming their way? There must be something I'm over looking as that poster then later edited their post down to just a sheepish 'nvm....'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I also posted this question on the MetallicaBB and a poster mentions that financial worries wouldn't be concern since they now own all of their master recordings since going independent with Blackened Recordings, a good point which I hadn't thought of. If that's the case, though, why the concern from Kirk, and why have they kept up touring since 2012 when the deal came into place? They have said they'd spend more time at home with the family if they could, but seemingly they can't. Couldn't they, as now full owners of their back catalog, rest easy knowing the lion's share of every future royalty from record sales will be coming their way? There must be something I'm over looking as that poster then later edited their post down to just a sheepish 'nvm....'.

The thing with rich people is that the more more money than have, the more they want. Could be an ego thing, I don't know (and unfortunately never will..!!)

The thing with rich people is that the more more money than have, the more they want. Could be an ego thing, I don't know (and unfortunately never will..!!)

I never got the feeling that Metallica would be money hungry in the way that, say, Gene Simmons might be. Well, maybe Lars might be, but the other guys, I don't get a 'more, more, more' feeling off them. I'm sure they enjoy the very comfortable lifestyle that a lot of money might afford them, but not in a sitting in a leather chair gazing into a ledger book, rubbing their hands together type way.

I never got the feeling that Metallica would be money hungry in the way that, say, Gene Simmons might be. Well, maybe Lars might be, but the other guys, I don't get a 'more, more, more' feeling off them. I'm sure they enjoy the very comfortable lifestyle that a lot of money might afford them, but not in a sitting in a leather chair gazing into a ledger book, rubbing their hands together type way.

Except for Kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

With regards the money thing, didn't the band make a huge loss on the film? Can see the logic in trying to recoup that but would not count it as money grabbing?

Advertisement