Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Even if you were good you were bottled, even pre Master Of Puppets Metallica were no exception, the pig's head being tossed on stage was actually during Ratt's set.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-lars-ulrich-on-the-strangest-time-he-has-ever-had-at-a-festival/

Probably happened during Ratt's set as well but according to Lars, a pig's head arrived on stage when they were playing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

WHERE DA FOCK IS JASON????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

WHERE DA FOCK IS JASON????????????????????????????????

Love to know this too, been worried for the guy for the past few months.

He was REAL active on social media, came out with an awesome album, was looking forward to the announced tour, then it got cancelled in weird circumstances and nobody has heard from him since

His website has more or less gone, just says he's not on any social media etc

Really hope he's ok

That Donington pic is something else, i went from 85 through to 2010 ish, the one's i went to in the 80's were something else though.

The space between the stage and crowd was maybe 5ft, and that had to do for security and photographers, between each band a huge net was pulled in front of stage to stop **** landing on in, when the bands were on they were fair game!!

You used to be allowed in with 10 gallon containers of drink, you'd drink it, then piss in it and lob it, if you were at the front and one landed on ya you were ****ed.

Great days indeed, until Copping and Download got their dirty mits on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

scudzilla wrote: »
    Love to know this too, been worried for the guy for the past few months.

He was REAL active on social media, came out with an awesome album, was looking forward to the announced tour, then it got cancelled in weird circumstances and nobody has heard from him since

His website has more or less gone, just says he's not on any social media etc

Really hope he's ok

I have to assume there's some heavy private stuff he's had to go deal with. He's always been one of the guys in metal who's been most earnest about his craft and taking his music to the fans. For him to suddenly cancel a tour, and subsequently pull his social media presence would not be a light decision.

But I don't think we should be worried for Newsted. He's always struck me as a real down to earth type with his head screwed on right. If this is what he needs to do, for whatever reason, then that's what he should do, and he'll come back when the time is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It seems the wheels are turning at Metallica HQ for the new album. Rob Trujillo has said that the band are carefully working on the arrangements for the new album and sort of explains why they like to take their time.
    I'm having a great time, and we're having a really great time. And it's actually fun.

"We've been jamming on lots of new ideas — frameworks, so to speak. And, you know, James is getting into working up melodies and experimenting on that level. But it's really, like, kind of, you work out parts, a process of elimination, and then you jam 'em out. We jam' em out and get 'em into your system, make 'em a part of you.

The rest can be read here.
    http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/you-guys-metallica-is-actually-finally-working-on-their-new-album

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It seems the wheels are turning at Metallica HQ for the new album. Rob Trujillo has said that the band are carefully working on the arrangements for the new album and sort of explains why they like to take their time.

To be fair, it's just more excuses and doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. They're writing songs of God's sake, not coming up with a cure for cancer. So all that bollox about frameworks and experimenting is just excuses.

Would anyone have MP3/Flac of either donington 2004 or 2006 or Wembley 2007??

I have them on my old iPod but not syncing anymore (refuse to get itunes)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I should have Wembley 07, I'll have a look tomorrow for you, think it's on an external hard drive somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I have Wembley 07 too. First gig I ever went to actually!

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    I should have Wembley 07, I'll have a look tomorrow for you, think it's on an external hard drive somewhere.
    I have Wembley 07 too. First gig I ever went to actually!

I purchased all 3 from the met site, just had the idea that my purchase should still be there, and that i could re-download them, but they've expired :mad:

I purchased all 3 from the met site, just had the idea that my purchase should still be there, and that i could re-download them, but they've expired :mad:

They're all on Youtube so a simple program to stream audio will get them for you. I use Audio Hijack Pro on my Mac. I'm sure there are PC equivalents

They're all on Youtube so a simple program to stream audio will get them for you. I use Audio Hijack Pro on my Mac. I'm sure there are PC equivalents

yeah, familiar it YT grabs, do it for the odd song etc but when it's a full live gig prefer the mp3/flac as all songs seperated

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Have both Doningtons, will upload them now and pm you the link when done.

3wayswitch wrote: »

Thanks a lot, just need Wembley now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thanks a lot, just need Wembley now :D

When I get in from work later I'll dig Wembley up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

3wayswitch wrote: »

Any chance of a pm?

Any chance of a pm?

forwarded pm i got

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

These three blokes decided to record the entire St Anger album "the way it should have sounded".

While the vocals are a bit iffy in places, I think the production sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

These two blokes decided to record the entire St Anger album "the way it should have sounded".

That sounds fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

These two blokes decided to record the entire St Anger album "the way it should have sounded".

I was expecting silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

That sounds fantastic!

Sweet Amber sounds class, was always my favourite St. Anger song

They went to all that amazing effort to cut the tracks and then use a horrible guitar tone that sounds like the 'metal' preset on a Zoom 707. That's not really how St. Anger was supposed to sound or even a nice update. Everything else is fine, but that's a step back.

It seems to me that there's still a lot of people who don't really get St. Anger. James voice cracking, Lars' downtuned snare drum, these aren't oversights, they're sort of calculated imperfections. It's supposed to be an angst ridden, ugly sounding record. Granted, that's not going to make for the most listenable record for the general public and I think the sales figures pretty much reflect that, but that's what the band was going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Yeah, calculated to sound like Slipnot.

briany wrote: »
    It seems to me that there's still a lot of people who don't really get St. Anger. James voice cracking, Lars' downtuned snare drum, these aren't oversights, they're sort of calculated imperfections. It's supposed to be an angst ridden, ugly sounding record. Granted, that's not going to make for the most listenable record for the general public and I think the sales figures pretty much reflect that, but that's what the band was going for.

That may well be true but the way I see it when a sh!tty soundmix / production / whatever makes some decent songs difficult to listen to then you've done something wrong.

That may well be true but the way I see it when a sh!tty soundmix / production / whatever makes some decent songs difficult to listen to then you've done something wrong.

What you or I see as right/wrong in terms of production or style is a very subjective thing. Although they're probably in the minority of people who ever heard it, there's people out there who love that record and don't see or hear much wrong with it. In the same vein, there's people out there who balked at the Black Album when it came out even though that album was met with overwhelming mainstream praise. I suppose you can't really say either side is right or wrong about their attitude, it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Re Jason,
    I've been looking around for any sign of him. Found an interview from June where he was excited about the tour, he said he was 15 gigs in and they haven't hit top form yet and is looking forward to reaching that point.

Then i found an interview with his guitarist, and he said "jason, he....ya know....it wasn't like the old days ..and ...(changes subject)"

something happened!

briany wrote: »
    What you or I see as right/wrong in terms of production or style is a very subjective thing. Although they're probably in the minority of people who ever heard it, there's people out there who love that record and don't see or hear much wrong with it. In the same vein, there's people out there who balked at the Black Album when it came out even though that album was met with overwhelming mainstream praise. I suppose you can't really say either side is right or wrong about their attitude, it is what it is.

Yes of course it's very much subjective. But in fairness the general consensus is that St Anger doesn't sound very good in terms of the way the instruments, particularly the overpowering snare drum, were recorded and produced.

The actual artistic intent of the record and the fact that the band wanted it to sound like that is entirely another matter.

For me, and this is entirely subjective, it just surprised me how much I liked the actual songs when I heard them re-recorded by these chaps.

Conversely when AJFA came out back in the day I paid very little attention to the production, other than noting that it sounded "different". And to this day have never actually listened to any of those unofficial remasters or Rockband mixes that turn the bass up to 11. Maybe I should give one of those a go.

At the end of the day though what the artist releases is the definitive version of their artistic vision.

Re Jason,
    I've been looking around for any sign of him. Found an interview from June where he was excited about the tour, he said he was 15 gigs in and they haven't hit top form yet and is looking forward to reaching that point.

Then i found an interview with his guitarist, and he said "jason, he....ya know....it wasn't like the old days ..and ...(changes subject)"

something happened!

I think we all know something big has happened, but have no idea what

• Advertisement

The really weird thing, to me, about Jason is that he consciously pulled most of, if not all, his online presence. That was calculated by him or someone close to him after he would have given the say-so. A lot of celebrities would just straight up abandon their accounts or leave a note to say they won't be posting as much. Jason just did away with it all in one fell swoop and the suddenness, open-endedness and totality of it is a pretty striking. Also, Jason's a smart guy, he surely would have figured that such a move would make people even more curious about his situation, his state of mind and that in a total info void wild speculation can abound.

Then again, for all we know, he could be laughing his head off in his Montana ranch right now. It just seems unlikely since the way he's conducted his public affairs doesn't usually seem to stem from being in a good place.

Advertisement