Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Good man, that's something for me to watch tomorrow!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Metallica need to do more live albums, something along the lines of Live ****: Binge & Purge would be cool, they have a tonne of stuff to choose from should they ever decide to go down that road again.

I think the fact that every gig is available on livemetallica probably rules out an audio live CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Epic doesn't even cover that, legendary would be a better description for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

That Moscow concert is stunning. I had that tape the year after it came out and watched it over and over and over. The only thing better than the Metallica performance is the AC/DC performance that follows.

Actually, the whole concert is brilliant. Pantera kill it, too. Love that bit where Dimebag is playing the Cowboys from Hell solo and there's a big gozzier hanging off his tongue. It's completely disgusting, but you can't help but love it.

Only band I didn't like was the Black Crowes. Their brand of loose, southern rock inflected good time music didn't really fit with the other tight-as-a-gnat's bands on the bill. Even E.S.T. were better.

The only thing about that concert that kills me is that I know the performances were filmed in their entirety, because I've seen the source footage on YT, but why couldn't Isham and co. have done the same post production job on the whole concert that they only did on a handful of songs and release it as a box set? Those full performances from Pantera, Metallica and AC/DC with the Isham post-production would be three of the greatest rock performances in history, and all on the same bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

briany wrote: »
    That Moscow concert is stunning. I had that tape the year after it came out and watched it over and over and over. The only thing better than the Metallica performance is the AC/DC performance that follows.

Actually, the whole concert is brilliant. Pantera kill it, too. Love that bit where Dimebag is playing the Cowboys from Hell solo and there's a big gozzier hanging off his tongue. It's completely disgusting, but you can't help but love it.

Only band I didn't like was the Black Crowes. Their brand of loose, southern rock inflected good time music didn't really fit with the other tight-as-a-gnat's bands on the bill. Even E.S.T. were better.

The only thing about that concert that kills me is that I know the performances were filmed in their entirety, because I've seen the source footage on YT, but why couldn't Isham and co. have done the same post production job on the whole concert that they only did on a handful of songs and release it as a box set? Those full performances from Pantera, Metallica and AC/DC with the Isham post-production would be three of the greatest rock performances in history, and all on the same bill.

A full release of that concert would be incredible! The video of harvester of sorrow on YouTube is just brilliant. Definitely in my top 5 live performances, between James smashing the cymbals, the choppers flying over the crowd, the Russian army smacking fans, the shots that show the sheer size of the crowd, it is incredibly atmospheric. I think kirk said it's been his favourite gig to date?

• Advertisement

A full release of that concert would be incredible! The video of harvester of sorrow on YouTube is just brilliant. Definitely in my top 5 live performances, between James smashing the cymbals, the choppers flying over the crowd, the Russian army smacking fans, the shots that show the sheer size of the crowd, it is incredibly atmospheric. I think kirk said it's been his favourite gig to date?

Well, it can't really get any better than playing to almost a million up-for-it people, can it? I also like the way the Russian soldiers went from beating on the fans to, at some point, getting drunk and apparently joining in.

That Sandman intro is the absolute pinnacle of live Metallica for me, though. Everything about it, from the lead up with Ecstasy of Gold playing and the big chopper flying across to the crowd going absolutely mental in the song's buildup. It's the definitive Metallica performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I had a video years ago with highlights of the Moscow show.
    Lineup was some Russian band, Black Crowes, Pantera, Metallica.

I think the Metallica set on the video was: Enter Sandman, One, Harvester of Sorrow, from what I recall. Or was Sad But True included as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

What I'd love to know was if the Day On The Green 1985 show was filmed in it's entirety. I have seen the usual clip of them playing For Whom The Bell Tolls with Cliff and a short snippet of them playing Ride The Lightning. Would love to know if the whole thing was filmed and is sitting in some dusty corner.

Like their early career hasn't got much footage, wish there was more.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I had a video years ago with highlights of the Moscow show.
    Lineup was some Russian band, Black Crowes, Pantera, Metallica.

I think the Metallica set on the video was: Enter Sandman, One, Harvester of Sorrow, from what I recall. Or was Sad But True included as well....

Yes, I had that video as well. It was entitled 'For those about to Rock'

Here's the cover. Memories for me.

For_Those_About_to_Rock_%28film%29.jpg

The Russian band was 'E.S.T.' with their song 'Bully'. Not bad, if you ask me. I like the way that lead guitarist is milking it at the beginning. Basically, I think he knew this would be the largest show he'd ever play by several orders of magnitude and he intended on enjoying it as such.

It's amazing how the demos for Death Magnetic sound better than the finished album, can actually listen at full volume without the tinny noise forcing me to turn it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

It's amazing how the demos for Death Magnetic sound better than the finished album, can actually listen at full volume without the tinny noise forcing me to turn it down.

That was because the album's dynamics were compressed to make it as loud as possible but they botched it sounds annoyingly distorted especially when wearing earphones. Lucky for them the Guitar Hero guys remixed the album for the game they put out, saved their arses!

They wouldn't want to mess that up on the next album, actually they should just let Activision mix the next album and be done with it!

What's the point of the loudness war anyway? I've never met a person, or read an article that said anything good about albums that were boosted up to f**k, so who exactly is demanding that they be that way?

I'd hazard a guess and say it was Metallica's record label at the time that demanded/asked that Death Magnetic be boosted to hell, has anyone replaced the album itself with the demos album?

I'd hazard a guess and say it was Metallica's record label at the time that demanded/asked that Death Magnetic be boosted to hell, has anyone replaced the album itself with the demos album?

I thought it was the band decided on the mix, and that having four lads who have been constantly standing in front of loud amps for the last 30 years decide on the most sonically pleasant representation of their music was what went wrong with the mix.

I've replaced it with the decifier / rock band version. I also have the vinyl which sounds alright. Still very flat, but at least there's no clipping on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I was watching this today, strikes me as unusual, the tone and the manner of which he speaks just seems to be almost as if he wants to get something off his chest. I think - much like at the VH1 awards - he knew this would be one of the final things he did for the band

I believe he recorded this the weekend that he told Kirk he was leaving Metallica, in November 2000, and then he announced it formally in January 01 at that meeting they spoke about on MTV Icon

I'm kind of in two minds after watching that. On the one hand, Jason is a fan favourite, a gent, and someone we all like from the treatment he got from the band. But on the other, sure he wanted mysery to be an instrumental, but at the end it wasn't, but what does that matter?

Metallica went through a huge change for the black album, bringing in an external producer for the first time, going for a more poppy song structure, after the long ambitious, almost prog-style songs on justice. So in that mindset, perhaps there wasn't a desire to go with the 8 minute instrumental.

That time actually set in motion imo a great development period for the band that continued for the load and reload albums before they decided to go back to playing it safe on St. Anger and subsequently death magnetic. Coincidentally it wouldn't be until death magnetic that they had another instrumental track. So it's not as if mysery was sang over as an intentional diss to Jason, but I'm kind of getting that vibe from him.

At the end of the day, for better or worse, Metallica have been all about the partnership of James and Lars. When the others bring good stuff to the table, sure they give it a whirl, but there's a difference between coming up with a riff, and making a 7 minute whopper out of it. Case in point, the sandman riff that kirk came up with compared to the album track that became their biggest track.

At the end of the day, for better or worse, Metallica have been all about the partnership of James and Lars. When the others bring good stuff to the table, sure they give it a whirl, but there's a difference between coming up with a riff, and making a 7 minute whopper out of it. Case in point, the sandman riff that kirk came up with compared to the album track that became their biggest track.

That's very true, I notice that 'Lords of Summer' is only credited to Ulrich/Hetfield/Tjuiro - which was odd enough alright

I think Newsted's last official writing credit for the band was the most interesting and probably the one which we'll know nothing about the composition or originality of

Anybody else making firm plans to see the band in Leeds or Reading later this year? Or does anyone on here think an Irish date is overdue and possible? I'll be honest, I'd attend both if I was able.

And on another subject, not being unkind, but wanted to bring something up I noticed while watching Rock Am Ring 2003 yesterday

metallica_420.jpg
    James Hetfield, 2003

glasto-saturday-highlights-1.jpg
    James Hetfield, 2014

He's happy and that's great, but has the cut back of his drinking - or just age - been the cause of this....because that is a dramatic change in a decade...

For the 2003 & 2014 pictures of James, i'd say it's a little bit from Column A & a little bit from Column B, cutting out the booze must've marvelously helped him big time, and like everyone else James just aged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Baha the more I look at James' face in the 2014 pic the funnier it gets.

On a similar note, I'd like to see him with a moustache and beard these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

The 2003 pic is a man just at his 40th the 2014 is a 51 year old man

Time waits for no one.

He looks happy and healthy, and that's the important thing. All indications seem to tell us that James has never been at a better place in his personal life and that's great. Evidently Lars' former 'no smiling' is longer enforced.

It's a double sided thing because it's primarily James' troubled upbringing and other issues which have provided subject matter for basically all of Metallica's best music, but these are things which James seems to have worked through and left behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

For ****s sake people...Pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nabbed from Ross Halfin's page, Donington 1985

Was there somewhere, look at the state of that fcukin stage!!!!!!

tallica_zps7edc6d11.jpg

Jesus, Metallica must've been brutal if they had all that ****e thrown on stage.

Jesus, Metallica must've been brutal if they had all that ****e thrown on stage.

I think that was par for the course at Donington in those days no matter who was playing. Bottles of piss were regular missiles and I think a pig's head appeared on stage during this Metallica set if I remember correctly.

I think that was par for the course at Donington in those days no matter who was playing. Bottles of piss were regular missiles and I think a pig's head appeared on stage during this Metallica set if I remember correctly.

Even if you were good you were bottled, even pre Master Of Puppets Metallica were no exception, the pig's head being tossed on stage was actually during Ratt's set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Maiden had a trifle thrown on stage.

• Advertisement

Remember :

When you throw nasty stuff at the stage, it's a sign of small and insignificant genitalia.

Advertisement