Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭briany

Every time I think of Korn and Metallica, I keep hearing that dodgy One cover they did at MTV Icon. Not that they played it bad, exactly, but Davis imparts a pretty distinct flavour on everything he sings with that voice of his.

I suppose, to be fair, all the Icon covers were a bit dodgy, except maybe Sum 41, who, even if you love them or hate them, you could tell it was a real highlight for them to be there playing that medley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

briany wrote: »
    Every time I think of Korn and Metallica, I keep hearing that dodgy One cover they did at MTV Icon. Not that they played it bad, exactly, but Davis imparts a pretty distinct flavour on everything he sings with that voice of his.

I suppose, to be fair, all the Icon covers were a bit dodgy, except maybe Sum 41, who, even if you love them or hate them, you could tell it was a real highlight for them to be there playing that medley.

Snoop dogg and Avril lavigne were horrifically bad at that! Agreed on sum 41, was never a huge fan but they nailed mop of I remember correctly.

Snoop dogg and Avril lavigne were horrifically bad at that! Agreed on sum 41, was never a huge fan but they nailed mop of I remember correctly.

Avril was an order of magnitude better than Snoop. That's how bad Snoop was. To be fair, Avril and her band did a decent job of Fuel, for a bubblegum act, but as a bubblegum act they had particularly little business being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

What about the two lads from Staind doing Nothing Else Matters? That was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Jonathan Davis caught some sort of blood infection and was too ill to come over from Donnington to Dublin to do the show that day, that's what was revealed later apparently.

JD didn't make the Donington show either, i was there and it was class, Korn played but had Benji (Skindred), Corey Taylor and another (can't remember) on vocals
    Was hoping Hetfield would come out and sing One, as other bands had covered for Lars a year or 2 earlier but it didn't hapen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

scudzilla wrote: »
    JD didn't make the Donington show either, i was there and it was class, Korn played but had Benji (Skindred), Corey Taylor and another (can't remember) on vocals
    Was hoping Hetfield would come out and sing One, as other bands had covered for Lars a year or 2 earlier but it didn't hapen

The other was M Shadows of A7X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Yep! I even forgot I was at the RDS gig with Avenged Sevenfold. As in, completely forgot the entire gig until it was mentioned above. I recall avenged played 'walk' by Pantera, that's about it for the day.

They did that in 2009 as well, some kid come on and sang 'Walk' by Pantera - schooled the entire band
    yeah, everyone had a hot tub in their garden back then and a holiday home in Bulgaria

Those were the days
    2003 was Linkin Park & The Darkness

2004 was Slipknot and Lostprophets

I should have seen this sooner. Was at both these gigs, great memories. Do forget which Lizzy song The Darkness covered (because it was Phil's birthday if I remember correctly) - anyone help me out with that?!

I should have seen this sooner. Was at both these gigs, great memories. Do forget which Lizzy song The Darkness covered (because it was Phil's birthday if I remember correctly) - anyone help me out with that?!

It wasn't jailbreak by any chance? Very vague memories :confused:

For those on Instagram Kirk is on and active : fearfestevil

Scudzilla is also on it....and active

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

From the latest Metal Hammer for anyone who hasn't read it or picked up the magazine, it starts on the last night night of Metallica's Ride The Lightning European tour.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/features/2015-02-04/metallica-garage-daze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'm beginning to think.. does the music world need a new Metallica album? I've been a fan of Metallica since I was 14 and I don't think I've ever been so agnostic about an album in the works from a band I care about. There's been so many good metal albums in recent years and I just can't see Metallica releasing something relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    From the latest Metal Hammer for anyone who hasn't read it or picked up the magazine, it starts on the last night night of Metallica's Ride The Lightning European tour.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/features/2015-02-04/metallica-garage-daze

Those books might be worth a read. Anyone read them?

The music world at large may not need a new Metallica album, but i'm 100% certain that Metallica fans around the world would love a new album to drop sometime this year or next year or preferably before the decade is out.

The music world at large may not need a new Metallica album, but i'm 100% certain that Metallica fans around the world would love a new album to drop sometime this year or next year or preferably before the decade is out.

They've been moaning about a new album since 2012. Metallica have never given the indication that they're all that pushed about making one. It feels like the drive to make an album has transferred from an inner one to an outer one borne out of public pressure. I want to hear some passionate Metallica, not an album that is released to satiate the fans and a somewhat disingenuous effort. I'd like to be wrong on this and for them to surprise everyone, but it's hard to see.

There's worryingly little talk coming out of the Metallica camp on what the album actually sounds like. Last time out there was at least Lars giving soundbites. Now, it's just some pics of them working, dutifully, in the studio. There's a lack of buzz and excitement about what they're doing and that's a bit troubling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's worryingly little talk coming out of the Metallica camp on what the album actually sounds like. Last time out there was at least Lars giving soundbites. Now, it's just some pics of them working, dutifully, in the studio. There's a lack of buzz and excitement about what they're doing and that's a bit troubling to me.

I find the lack of updates refreshing tbh,St.anger and death magnetic were preceded by constant updates with people creaming themselves over 3 seconds of a riff and reading into every clip. Go old school, just record the thing and release it without fanfare.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I find the lack of updates refreshing tbh,St.anger and death magnetic were preceded by constant updates with people creaming themselves over 3 seconds of a riff and reading into every clip. Go old school, just record the thing and release it without fanfare.

go even older school and record a classic album in 2 weeks :pac:

Yeah, but I'm wondering is that a calculated decision? You usually have some blurb with Lars talking about the 'nutty' stuff they're doing, and this time - silence. And this is Lars Ulrich we're talking about - the guy who gets excited over the boiled egg he had at breakfast. When you're not hearing much on his end you do kind of begin to wonder...

Every Metallica album since maybe Justice has been released with considerable fanfare. I don't see them going back on that tradition now. That's why a lack of noise coming from their camp seems.....odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone know if any shops in Dublin have Metallica vinyl? Want to pick up AJFA. Bloody expensive though?

Maybe the radio silence coming from Metallica and Lars especially, means they are probably hard at work on the next album. Or am i being too hopeful?

go even older school and record a classic album in 2 weeks :pac:

I reckon even if they rented a garage to bang out another garage days revisited ep it would take them a year to do it.

• Advertisement

I reckon even if they rented a garage to bang out another garage days revisited ep it would take them a year to do it.

I love, love, love the sound on disc 1 of Garage Inc. and I think it's the brevity of the recording period that makes it. It's like they just go in, turn on the amps and go for it, no overthinking things. It's fresh, vibrant, open sounding and chock full of energy and fun, and the liner photos kind of confirm that with them sitting around in a messyish studio live room covered with pedals and wires, and just looking like they're having a good time on a sunny day. That, plus the hilarious inside photos of them as cheesy cabaret band, The Metallicats. I prefer them, even, to the second, Garage Days re-re-visited disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I love, love, love the sound on disc 1 of Garage Inc. and I think it's the brevity of the recording period that makes it. It's like they just go in, turn on the amps and go for it, no overthinking things. It's fresh, vibrant, open sounding and chock full of energy and fun, and the liner photos kind of confirm that with them sitting around in a messyish studio live room covered with pedals and wires, and just looking like they're having a good time on a sunny day. That, plus the hilarious inside photos of them as cheesy cabaret band, The Metallicats. I prefer them, even, to the second, Garage Days re-re-visited disc.

One must remember that they were cover songs on I and II, but yeah, the sound on GD I is brilliant, of it's time I suppose. If only they had gotten something similar on AJFA, where you could hear the bloody bass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Anyone else on here read Scott Ian's book? Some great insights on what things were like for Metallica in the early days.

seachto7 wrote: »
    One must remember that they were cover songs on I and II, but yeah, the sound on GD I is brilliant, of it's time I suppose. If only they had gotten something similar on AJFA, where you could hear the bloody bass!

Agreed. It's mad that the likes of the prince and breadfan were recorded in the same period as AJFA. I remember an interview around that time where one of them said the reason they dropped the bass so much for AJFA is that James had changed his tone around then and had a huge low end. You can really hear that shine through on the Garage Inc tracks from that period, not so much on AJFA. Actually, AJFA with that sort of production would be a fucking monster of an album. Kind of raw, but still really tight.

What do you guys make of this? Trujillo in a supergroup, would Hetfield be happy with this considering what happened with Newsted? Side projects might be a touchy subject.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/02/09/two-new-metal-supergroups-worth-knowing-about-involving-members-of-metallica-torche-tool-and-mastodon/

What do you guys make of this? Trujillo in a supergroup, would Hetfield be happy with this considering what happened with Newsted? Side projects might be a touchy subject.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/02/09/two-new-metal-supergroups-worth-knowing-about-involving-members-of-metallica-torche-tool-and-mastodon/

Well Robb has to do something to keep himself occupied while the saga of the next Metallica album rolls on, James i doubt would give a flying toss really at this point in time, at 51 years old i'm sure he has more important things to worry about than what the bass player in his band is doing in his spare time.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Well Robb has to do something to keep himself occupied while the saga of the next Metallica album rolls on, James i doubt would give a flying toss really at this point in time, at 51 years old i'm sure he has more important things to worry about than what the bass player in his band is doing in his spare time.

But that's just my 2 cents.

As far as I know James didn't have a problem with his bandmates jamming with anyone sure Jason done that with Voivod for years but James was more worried about him taking an album out on tour like what Jason had planned with Echobrain, possibly leaving Metallica in the lurch if they had to tour perhaps.

Hopefully James won't bring Rob's dedication into question if Rob wanted to take the supergroup somewhere, only way I'd see it working right is if the supergroup opened for Metallica or something, that'd be mad.

He could get let off the hook considering the band is older now, all have familes, not touring as much as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

I thought Lords of Summer was a great track, I'm hoping it indicates some enthusiasm for putting out a new album

Finally some video of the 96 show at the Point Depot has surfaced,about three quarters of the show available,brings back a lot of memories.

http://youtu.be/b2Nr_jkOLhI

• Advertisement

As far as I know James didn't have a problem with his bandmates jamming with anyone sure Jason done that with Voivod for years but James was more worried about him taking an album out on tour like what Jason had planned with Echobrain, possibly leaving Metallica in the lurch if they had to tour perhaps.

Hopefully James won't bring Rob's dedication into question if Rob wanted to take the supergroup somewhere, only way I'd see it working right is if the supergroup opened for Metallica or something, that'd be mad.

He could get let off the hook considering the band is older now, all have familes, not touring as much as they used to.

James probably didn't have any problems with his bandmates jamming with other musicians, but given where Metallica were at the start of the millenium and James coming to terms with his alcohol problem, maybe he saw Jason's planning to tour with Echobrain as a sign of Jason abandoning Metallica and decided to stop that dead in it's tracks. Didn't James's father abandon him at an early age?

Now at 51 years old, James is in a better space mentally than he was 15 years ago and probably wouldn't mind Robert doing what he's doing now as long as it didn't interfere with the day job, and like you said that the only way James would/could let it slide is if Robert's supergroup opened a Metallica show on a future world tour.

Anyways, i hope that makes some kind of sense.

Advertisement