Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

andrewdcs wrote: »
    I'm off to the printers to get 5k t-shirts done:

SNAKEBITE CHAMPIONS
    Leinster RFC 2011
    Magners League
    Heineken Cup

will go on sale when we win at Lansdowne on the 28th. Will also be splashing a 50k digital media "frape" on all facebook pages, its viral and contagious etc. twitter. social meeja. winning.

The best thing about this plan is that there is no way it can backfire and bite you in the ass, leading to international ridicule.

"Snakebite", I like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

andrewdcs wrote: »
    I'm off to the printers to get 5k t-shirts done:

SNAKEBITE CHAMPIONS
    Leinster RFC 2011
    Magners League
    Heineken Cup

will go on sale when we win at Lansdowne on the 28th. Will also be splashing a 50k digital media "frape" on all facebook pages, its viral and contagious etc. twitter. social meeja. winning.

I think for completeness you should bring in the six in a row that well be winning in thomond next week

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

bamboozle wrote: »
    i think the best way to Judge POD is to consider his career since himself and Keatley were playing in the AIL for Clontarf, they had come off a season where they won the U20 grandslam and a lot was expected from both, at the end of that season Keatley (arguably the less rated of the two) went west and has seen his career on an upwards spiral with over 50 ML games and 2 international caps, POD stayed at Leinster and hasnt had any luck in getting any game time except at A and AIL levels.

POD needs to leave Leinster this summer and go to a team where he can get a run of games to start building experience, be that with Connacht or at a smaller team in england or france. He's a quality player, just needs consistent exposure at top level to build on his ability.

I never warmed to POD - I just have never really saw him play a great game for Leinster. Even in the couple of B&I games I went to in Donnybrook last season when he was captain, he did nothing exceptional and if anything seemed off the pace.

In some ways he reminds me of TOL (an inferior version)- very physical, keeps defences honest around the fringes with some good breaks but offset with too much box kicking and a slow delivery. Maybe a move away will be the making of him, but honestly I dont think he has what it takes to make it as a top scrummie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Amongst those set to be included in the panel for Sunday’s game in Newport are Leinster skipper Leo Cullen while Eoin Reddan and Jonathan Sexton could also feature. Any decision on their availability will be made at Friday’s team announcement. Both Sexton and Devin Toner’s next appearances will be their 50th for the province in the league.

Shane Jennings (ankle) and Shaun Berne (Achilles) remain doubtful due to injury.

Fergus McFadden could be in the frame, while Stan Wright continued his rehabilitation during the province’s ‘A’ interprovincial friendly game in Connacht last weekend.

It is hoped, meanwhile, that Shane Horgan (knee) who has missed the last two months through injury will also be available for selection. Andrew Conway (ankle) is rated as doubtful for this weekend’s game.

With players such as Ian Madigan, Ian McKinley, Rhys Ruddock and Dominic Ryan all in the mix, the Leinster management expect to be able to call on a squad mixed with youth and experience for the first of two successive away ties in the Magners League before the Heineken Cup quarter final on April 9th.

Isa Nacewa’s 142 points to date in the Magners League puts him in joint third place in this year’s standing, while he joins Horgan and David Kearney as the province’s joint top try-scorers in the league with four to date.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7804.php

Squad update.

Based on the update we'll probably be looking at something like:

15. Nacewa
    14. Horgan
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    11. Kearney
    10. McKinley/Madigan
    9. Boss

1. Heinke
    2. Strauss
    3. Wright
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin
    7. Ryan
    8. Ruddock

16. Harris-Wright
    17. McGrath
    18. Shawe
    19. Hines
    20. Keogh/P. Ryan
    21. Reddan
    22. Sexton
    23. O'Malley

O'Malley might start at 13 with Fitz on the wing, I just think Fitz might get a run in the centre. Strong team considering we're missing 6 internationals! If that ends up being the bench we've some serious firepower to bring on in the second half!

• Advertisement

CouchSmart wrote: »

O'Malley might start at 13 with Fitz on the wing, I just think Fitz might get a run in the centre. Strong team considering we're missing 6 internationals! If that ends up being the bench we've some serious firepower to bring on in the second half!

I think we should definitely go with Fitz on the wing and bring O'Malley into the centre. Luke's confidence can't be great after poor form before and during the Six Nations - throwing him into another unfamiliar position may not be the best move.

Seriously strong squad whatever the selection is. That is a seriously big, powerful back row of Kev, Ruddock and Ryan, but I'd still much rather see Jennings get fit and get some game time ahead of Munster and the HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think we should definitely go with Fitz on the wing and bring O'Malley into the centre. Luke's confidence can't be great after poor form before and during the Six Nations - throwing him into another unfamiliar position may not be the best move.

Seriously strong squad whatever the selection is. That is a seriously big, powerful back row of Kev, Ruddock and Ryan, but I'd still much rather see Jennings get fit and get some game time ahead of Munster and the HC.

This.

I think Jennings is essential to our defensive game. To have any chance in Thomond and Lansdowne, we need him fit.

He is the player that is more noticed in his absence (i.e. oppo get lots of quality quick ball!) than when he is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Blured wrote: »
    I never warmed to POD - I just have never really saw him play a great game for Leinster. Even in the couple of B&I games I went to in Donnybrook last season when he was captain, he did nothing exceptional and if anything seemed off the pace.

In some ways he reminds me of TOL (an inferior version)- very physical, keeps defences honest around the fringes with some good breaks but offset with too much box kicking and a slow delivery. Maybe a move away will be the making of him, but honestly I dont think he has what it takes to make it as a top scrummie.

playing in the AIL for clontarf he has oozed class (although he hasnt been involved much this season) given a run of games i'd certainly rate him on an equal footing with Frank Murphy and far better than Willis and O'Loughlin.
    Elwood has signed another of that U20 grand slam team Eoghan Grace for next season and wouldnt be suprised if POD is also targetted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I'd like to see

1.VDM
    2.Strauss
    3.Wright
    4.Cullen
    5.Toner
    6.Ruddock
    7.Ryan(if Jennings is injured)
    8.McLaughlin
    9.Boss
    10.Sexton
    11.Fitzgerald
    12.McFadden
    13.O'Malley
    14.Horgan
    15.Nacewa

16.Harris-Wright
    17.Healy
    18.Ross
    19.Hines
    20.O'Brien
    21.Reddan
    22.McKinley
    23.Darcy

That leaves out Heaslip and BOD, but I'd be confident that they can slot straight back in for the Munster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Mike Ross agrees new deal

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/22729.php

• Advertisement

David900 wrote: »
    Mike Ross agrees new deal

Not unexpected but great news all the same. It's discussed earlier in the thread, but between VDM, Healy, Strauss, Cronin, Ross and Wright, we have two international-class front row line-ups. Throw Hagan into the mix and it's a rosy picture alright, and I must say I was impressed by Shawe in his last outing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 laft foot

David900 wrote: »

Absolutely delighted; the form tight head and has probably been noticed by teams across the Euro especially in France where they love their scrummaging.

Leinster Rugby are pleased to announce that Rhys Ruddock and Eoin O'Malley have each agreed new one and two year deals respectively with the province...

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7811.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Id be nailing ruddock down for more than one year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yeah a 1 year deal is a very short...just going to put us in the same position 10/12 months down the line.

I wonder if he would only sign a 1 year contract? With so much competition, maybe he wants to see how the next year pans out before making a long term decision. If he's not playing regularly he might seek a move elsewhere. He's a monstrously talented player who I can only presume is desperate to play week in week out. [/idle speculation]

With the potential to be a key player in the Irish set up for years to come I hope he does get regular rugby, and I hope its with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

WeeBushy, I'd imagine that's exactly what the reason is. Crowded area, had to spend a bit of time behind Dom Ryan earlier this season, wants to see how things pan out.

It's great news for leinster that the guys have commited. Ruddock is going to be a star and Eoin O'Malley looks a smashing centre, and wil be a key player during the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Ruddock was clever there. He's backed himself to get a better deal next season and he will too. I'd imagine Munster are keeping a close eye on the situation too. ;)

profitius wrote: »
    Ruddock was clever there. He's backed himself to get a better deal next season and he will too. I'd imagine Munster are keeping a close eye on the situation too. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Munster are eying up some Leinster talent. With Wallace looking set to retire after next season they're going to need more back-rowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Get your own academy!

TBH, I can see Rhys looking to go to Wales if Leinster doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Yeah if I was McGahan I'd have Ruddock at the top of my list. Their back row isn't one of the strongest in Europe anymore and Ruddock would add so much. Even if Ruddock gets ahead of McLaughlin and Ryan (as he probably is now), it's tough to see him getting ahead of Heaslip or SOB for Leinster.

• Advertisement

Ruddock would be more interested in Ulster than Munster imo..

As would many younger players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

We have a decent number of backrows, it's just none of them are physical freaks like Ruddock who developed fairly early and is well able to mix it up at this level. TOD looked decent and I'm disappointed Ronan jumped ahead of him straight away, likewise Butler will probably get some more gametime next year and Peter O'Mahoney seems ot be in McGahan's plans.

Risteard wrote: »
    We have a decent number of backrows, it's just none of them are physical freaks like Ruddock who developed fairly early and is well able to mix it up at this level. TOD looked decent and I'm disappointed Ronan jumped ahead of him straight away, likewise Butler will probably get some more gametime next year and Peter O'Mahoney seems ot be in McGahan's plans.

Butler >> Ruddock 2 years ago.

What's changed?

Player development at Leinster is a different world than at Munster it seems. Ruddock may have been captain, but Butler was the standout backrower of that 6N winning team.

Its for this reason that I think that Ruddock would have no interest in going to Munster, they seem to have stunted Butler's progression for one thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Sin a bhfuil

tolosenc wrote: »
    Get your own academy!

lets see now .... Reddan, Ross, Cronin, Fogs, etc. etc.

Emmet

With Ferris at Ulster, would that be a good option for Ruddock?

What's changed?

Player development at Leinster is a different world than at Munster it seems. Ruddock may have been captain, but Butler was the standout backrower of that 6N winning team.

Its for this reason that I think that Ruddock would have no interest in going to Munster, they seem to have stunted Butler's progression for one thing!

Is the main issue not just size, with Irish players generally a bit slower to develop. (Bear in mind that Ruddock came through the Wales Under age system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

lets see now .... Reddan, Ross, Cronin, Fogs, etc. etc.

In fairness SAB, listing those players is like a Leinster fan saying Leinster was the making of Ian Keatley which is obviously untrue.

No doubt that we've struggled to produce players though in certain positions in the past, particularly the ones you've listed; prop, hooker and scrum half along with lock have often been an issue for Leinster in the past 10 years in terms of producing young players. Luckily that seems to be changing at prop currently. We're still very bare in terms of lock and scrum half though where Munster luckily enough continue to excel in production.

In closing, we'll trade you Ruddock for Murray and Dave Foley. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

tolosenc wrote: »
    Get your own academy!

At least Ireland have locked him in ;).

GerM wrote: »
    In fairness SAB, listing those players is like a Leinster fan saying Leinster was the making of Ian Keatley which is obviously untrue.

No doubt that we've struggled to produce players though in certain positions in the past, particularly the ones you've listed; prop, hooker and scrum half along with lock have often been an issue for Leinster in the past 10 years in terms of producing young players. Luckily that seems to be changing at prop currently. We're still very bare in terms of lock and scrum half though where Munster luckily enough continue to excel in production.

In closing, we'll trade you Ruddock for Murray and Dave Foley. :D

Tolensc said Munster should 'Get your own Academy" - well all of those came through the Munster Academy:p (though Ruddock didn't spend too much time in the Leinster academy)!

Foley maybe, no way Murray. Leinster should have a look at Duncan Williams though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What's changed?

Butler has the skills but none of the strength. Simple as, really. Ruddock and Dom Ryan are very powerful guys.

Skillswise, Peter O'Mahony and Paddy Butler are up there with any young backrower in Ireland but they don't have the power, and it remains to be seen if they can develop it.

• Advertisement

Emmet

With Ferris at Ulster, would that be a good option for Ruddock?
    Devastatingly enough, it remains to be seen just how much we will see of Ferris. :(

Also, Ulster have completely embraced the "back row of 3" instead of a 6 a 7 and an 8. He'd fit in at 6 and 8 no problem, and could play 7 just as Ferris has this season too.
    Butler has the skills but none of the strength. Simple as, really. Ruddock and Dom Ryan are very powerful guys.

Eat more, gym more. Its not rocket science. I'm talking about the difference in development over the last 2 years, when it can be agreed that the lads were on a far more even footing. What has been the difference? Is this not clear as day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement