Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

GerM wrote: »
    Jayzus, I knew Church was into a bit of scribbling but I didn't know he was actually any good...
    http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/cian-healy-a-man-of-many-talents/

Have to laugh at the gun show he gave Drico though.

The lad is incredibly talented. He also is excellent at rollerblading and DJing. Not only that but I once saw him lay out 4 scumbags who started a fight with him at barcode a few years ago

*swoon*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Great news about Ross signing up. I'd be quite hopeful of Stan staying as well, he likes it here and is too good to let go. Still no clarification on the Hagan issue either, I wonder will it definitely happen, I'd love it but I can't really see the sense in it for the union as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Great news about Ross signing up. I'd be quite hopeful of Stan staying as well, he likes it here and is too good to let go. Still no clarification on the Hagan issue either, I wonder will it definitely happen, I'd love it but I can't really see the sense in it for the union as a whole.
    http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/2/09/Hagan-move-disappoints-Elwood/gnid-87960/

"We believed we had agreed terms but subsequently London Irish entered the frame and then Leinster, and Jamie said he was moving to Leinster on a three-year deal.

Jedwardian wrote: »
    http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/2/09/Hagan-move-disappoints-Elwood/gnid-87960/

"We believed we had agreed terms but subsequently London Irish entered the frame and then Leinster, and Jamie said he was moving to Leinster on a three-year deal.

Ye but there's been no confirmation from our end. A number of things could have happened since then. One thing's for sure, we're gonna have a serious squad for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ye but there's been no confirmation from our end. A number of things could have happened since then. One thing's for sure, we're gonna have a serious squad for next season.

Yeah, a week earlier he had definitely signed up again at Connacht and there were quotes saying how he was happy with the new contract etc. so until there is something official from Leinster I'm not banking on it.

It does look like he's coming but I'm surprised there has been nothing from Leinster yet.

We're well sorted at prop either way, though I would always welcome back an Irish prop.

All we need is someone to replace Hines and we will have an even better squad than this season. The young guys will have gained so much from getting exposure this season and will really push the big guns from the off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

WeeBushy wrote: »
    It does look like he's coming but I'm surprised there has been nothing from Leinster yet.
    It seems to be the way Leinster do things. There was no official announcement that Nathan Hines, Richardt Strauss or Mike Ross signed until after they had arrived for pre-season training. As far as I remember it was a couple of months after news leaked out that Isaac Boss and Ed O'Donoghue were joining Leinster that it was officially announced too. Eoin Reddan's transfer was only announced after Ian McGeechan let the cat out of the bag after Wasps last home game in the 2008/09 season.

Jedwardian wrote: »
    It seems to be the way Leinster do things. There was no official announcement that Nathan Hines, Richardt Strauss or Mike Ross signed until after they had arrived for pre-season training. As far as I remember it was a couple of months after news leaked out that Isaac Boss and Ed O'Donoghue were joining Leinster that it was officially announced too. Eoin Reddan's transfer was only announced after Ian McGeechan let the cat out of the bag after Wasps last home game in the 2008/09 season.

Hmm, have never noticed that before, thanks.

Interesting that Cronin's signing was announced earlier, and considering they're both coming from the same club it's interesting that Hagan's situation has been handled differently.

Sure we can only wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Now that the 6 Nations is finished we can move back to the provinces, I'm really looking forward to the H Cup for one. I was a bit worried about some of the Leinster lads coming back into the team as their Leinster form seemed to dip going into the 6Ns. After yesterdays performance, where everyone stood up and the boys really put in a performance it has to carry back into the provinces.

I hope yesterday was a sign of things to come for English teams in Lansdowne Road. ;)

I was similarly worried but I am fine now. The only player who has disimproved is Fitzgerald and he was behind McFadden at Leinster anyway. Sexton can hold his head high after putting in the best 10 display in an Ireland shirt in the last 2 years (his display against SA in 2009 comes close) whilst Healy improved tenfold this tournament. Ross is now an international tighthead and O'Brien is an international six. Huge confidence boosts for Sexton, Healy, Ross and O'Brien.

And Cullen will be riled to make a point after being shunned so it might be a very good thing from Leinster's POV. Hopefully Schmidt can get Fitzy back, he should never have been picked for Ireland as hes still nowhere match fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Pretty ridiculous depth in the front row...

Cover for loosehead : Healy, VDM, Wright, McGrath
    Cover for tighthead : Ross, Hagan, Wright, McGrath

You can add Maguire and O'Connell to that list too, two of the most promising front-row forwards in the country.

And to round off the deal, hookers not bad either, with Strauss, Cronin and Harris-Wright.

The future's birght, the future's Blue.

• Advertisement

Is there such things as too much strength in depth?

Having so many options fighting for each position might be detrimental. Only 4 props get chosen each week so people are inevitably going to miss out. Will they all get enough game time to keep them happy, improving and part of the team?

I know with the WC Ross and Healy will be gone, but for the most part of the season there are going to be some unhappy props (not something I'd like to meet ;)). This could affect the moral in the dressing room, not to mention be detrimental to their career.

Hopefully Schmidt is able to rotate them in a balanced way and keep them all sweet. He's done so very well this season with the squad, but having 6 props (and two very promising youngsters) vying for 2 starting positions will be tough to handle.

Better than having too few props though, I should add.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I was preparing to post here about how Leinster would go about unbreaking their players after the 6n but thankfully that's not a problem. A few boys need a week or so off now like sob, Healy, Ross, bod, darcy , heaslip.

Don't know what to do with fitz.

I'd like to give him a stretch at 11 to regain his confidence maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

durkadurka wrote: »
    ...Don't know what to do with fitz.

I'd like to give him a stretch at 11 to regain his confidence maybe.

Franno says the same, and I'm sure Fitz will start against Dragons next weekend. But what after that?

Munster and Tigers follow in the next two weeks and I wonder if Schmidt will start Fitz in those games or will he go with McFadden. On form, McFadden seems the obvious choice with Fitz on the bench.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

id say mcfadden will start in the centre next week with luke fitz on the wing.

id imagine both darcy and o driscoll will be given a break after the 6 nations. especially with munster and leicester games the weeks after.

our fixture left in the magners are:

dragons (a)
    munster (a)
    ulster (h)
    aironi (a)
    glasgow (h)

a win next week in the dragons be very handy for the league run in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'd say it's close enough to a must win, because munster will be 'somewhat' keen to avoid a six in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

5/6 in those last fixtures would be very nice indeed,Anyone any Idea if Rob is back for Leicester?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Anyone any Idea if Rob is back for Leicester?
    If he is he shouldn't be just thrown into the HEC QF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I'd expect to see something like:

1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Wright
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. McLaughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. Ruddock
    9. Boss
    10. Berne/McKinley
    11. Fitz
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley
    14. Kearney
    15. Nacewa

Will depend on status of Jennings and Berne I suppose but we're entering the business end of things now and I suspect Schmidt will want to get his frontliners back on the pitch within reason rather than giving games to the youngsters. I believe Kearney and Horgan won't be available although Shaggy could be back for the Munster game. Very important that we get Jennings back in and quickly so he's back up to speed come Leicester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

[Jackass] wrote: »
    You can add Maguire and O'Connell to that list too, two of the most promising front-row forwards in the country.

And to round off the deal, hookers not bad either, with Strauss, Cronin and Harris-Wright.

The future's birght, the future's Blue.

Maguire is off to Connacht (a good thing IMO)

Is O'Connell that highly rated?? I haven't seen anything of him other than the U-20s. Martin Moore is very promising and James Tracy has had a reasonable performance.

There's so many props being produced in Leinster right now. Maguire/Moore/Tracy/O'Connell/McGrath and that guy Edward Byrne looks absolutely fantastic.

Maguire is off to Connacht? Has that been announced??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Maguire is off to Connacht? Has that been announced??
    Its a rumour thats been floated since Hagan's return was announced. I assume that its wishful thinking of Leinster fans who want to send him west and have him come back in a few years when ross is ready to retire

Don't think Maguire's going anywhere, for another year anyway. They'll let him finish his time in the academy first.

Team for next week should be interesting. I'd be hopeful of a fair few internationals being back, the one who didn't start every game at least. I think Fitz is gonna start at 13, call it a hunch. McFadden - O'Malley axis hasn't looked great yet. Both great players in their own right but they don't seem to go well together. Hopefully Jennings is back but I won't be holding my breath.

15. Nacewa
    14. Morris
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    11. Kearney
    10. Sexton
    9. Boss

1. Heinke
    2. Strauss
    3. Wright
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin
    7. Ryan
    8. Ruddock

Not too shabby. Really need to win next week and the following before the Quarter, momentum will be key!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

Don't think Maguire's going anywhere, for another year anyway. They'll let him finish his time in the academy first.

Team for next week should be interesting. I'd be hopeful of a fair few internationals being back, the one who didn't start every game at least. I think Fitz is gonna start at 13, call it a hunch. McFadden - O'Malley axis hasn't looked great yet. Both great players in their own right but they don't seem to go well together. Hopefully Jennings is back but I won't be holding my breath.

15. Nacewa
    14. Morris
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    11. Kearney
    10. Sexton
    9. Boss

1. Heinke
    2. Strauss
    3. Wright
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin
    7. Ryan
    8. Ruddock

Not too shabby. Really need to win next week and the following before the Quarter, momentum will be key!

I think that putting Luke 13 would be a mistake on two fronts. Firstly, O'Malley is our form centre (other than BOD) and deserves his start. McFadden can start at 12 or on the wing and it may well be at wing with an eye to the upcoming big games. This could mean Fitz at 12 although my second argument would be that I think he could do with a run in his usual position on the wing to regain confidence and form (although I am one of the few who still rates him as a centre). Counting all this I would go:
    15. Nacewa
    14. Kearney
    13. O'Malley
    12. McFadden
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Madigan
    09. Boss

1.VDM
    2.Strauss
    3.Wright
    4.Cullen
    5.McLaughlin
    6.Ruddock
    7.Ryan
    8.Keogh (everyone forgetting how well he played last time?)
    9.Boss
    10.Sexton
    11.Fitzgerald
    12.McFadden
    13.O'Malley
    14.D.Kearney
    15.Nacewa

Is what I'd go with personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Jemo wrote: »
    I think that putting Luke 13 would be a mistake on two fronts. Firstly, O'Malley is our form centre (other than BOD) and deserves his start. McFadden can start at 12 or on the wing and it may well be at wing with an eye to the upcoming big games. This could mean Fitz at 12 although my second argument would be that I think he could do with a run in his usual position on the wing to regain confidence and form

Agreed.

Fitz has been in poor form since he came back in January. I'd be surprised if they asked him to play another new position. He's played his best at 11, and I guess they'll put him there.

I'd expect to see McFadden or Kearney ahead of him for the Munster and Tigers matches. Fitz form has been bad for a long time I'm afriad, and both of them could expect to be ahead of him on form this year.

My team:

1. Van Der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Wright
    4. Cullen
    5. McLoughlin
    6. Dom Ryan
    7. Jennings
    8. Rhys Ruddock

9. Boss
    10. McKinley
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley
    14. Conway
    15. Nacewa

16. Harris-Wright 17. McGrath 18. Maguire 19. Toner 20. Murphy 21. O'Donohue 22. Madigan 23. Morris

(if Conway isn't fit, Morris to 14 and D. Kearney on the bench)

Re Keogh, I think Schmidt is looking beyond squad players like Keogh and Hogan etc. for now, and looking to build for the future, and rightfully so imo. I don't think Keogh will be there next season, and Ruddock is a superb emerging talent and I don't think Keogh would do better than him, and don't see why we'd waste any more time on him (to be perfectly blunt, despite agreeing with you that his form came back very nicely and he has been a great servant to Leinster, but we've got to keep moving on and developing players and letting go of the past players on the way out).

Re squad next season, so far it's shaping up as follows: (including assumed academy promotions and players assumed leaving and losely put into positions in some cases)

1. Healy, Van Der Merwe, McGrath, O'Connell
    2. Strauss, Cronin, Harris-Wright
    3. Wright, Ross, Hagan, Maguire
    4. Cullen, Sherriff
    5. Toner, O'Donoghue
    6. O'Brien, McLoughlin
    7. Jennings, D. Ryan, P. Ryan
    8. Heaslip, R. Ruddock, Murphy

9. Reddan, Boss, O'Donohue
    10. Sexton, McKinely, Madigan
    11. Fitzgerald, D. Kearney
    12. D'Arcy, McFadden
    13. O'Driscoll, O'Malley, Macken
    14. Horgan, Conway, Morris
    15. Nacewa, R. Kearney

That's 4 NIQ, 3 in the front row, one who will qualify for Ireland and one in his last season presumably (Wright), which would bring it down to two in near future.

That leaves room for major second row signing, the only place where we don't have extreme depth and a quality mix of experience and very promising youth.

We would need at least one absolute world class signing here post world cup. Very excited to see who we may get. Important to remember that we're not just replacing Hines, but Cullen doesn't have more than one more season left in him at top level imo, so we need to blood either Sherrif and hope he steps up, or hope McLoughlin excells thee, or consider two NIQ second rows.

Two top class second row signings though would make our pack by far the best in Europe imo. Not ideal not to have Irish, but very tempting none the less and would make us an absolute nightmare to play during international windows as we'd have a full international quality pack to play all through the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Very little mention of Berne on this thread, but I hadn't heard anything about him leaving, what's the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Re squad next season, so far it's shaping up as follows: (including assumed academy promotions and players assumed leaving and losely put into positions in some cases)

1. Healy, Van Der Merwe, McGrath, O'Connell
    2. Strauss, Cronin, Harris-Wright
    3. Wright, Ross, Hagan, Maguire
    4. Cullen, Sherriff
    5. Toner, O'Donoghue
    6. O'Brien, McLoughlin
    7. Jennings, D. Ryan, P. Ryan
    8. Heaslip, R. Ruddock, Murphy

9. Reddan, Boss, O'Donohue
    10. Sexton, McKinely, Madigan
    11. Fitzgerald, D. Kearney
    12. D'Arcy, McFadden
    13. O'Driscoll, O'Malley, Macken
    14. Horgan, Conway, Morris
    15. Nacewa, R. Kearney

That's 4 NIQ, 3 in the front row, one who will qualify for Ireland and one in his last season presumably (Wright), which would bring it down to two in near future.

That leaves room for major second row signing, the only place where we don't have extreme depth and a quality mix of experience and very promising youth.

We would need at least one absolute world class signing here post world cup. Very excited to see who we may get. Important to remember that we're not just replacing Hines, but Cullen doesn't have more than one more season left in him at top level imo, so we need to blood either Sherrif and hope he steps up, or hope McLoughlin excells thee, or consider two NIQ second rows.

Two top class second row signings though would make our pack by far the best in Europe imo. Not ideal not to have Irish, but very tempting none the less and would make us an absolute nightmare to play during international windows as we'd have a full international quality pack to play all through the season.

who's Murphy?

I'd be very suprised is Paul O'Donoghue remains at Leinster, time for him to leave and get serious game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bamboozle wrote: »
    who's Murphy?

I'd be very suprised is Paul O'Donoghue remains at Leinster, time for him to leave and get serious game time.
    Jordi?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement