Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would be very surprised if the likes of Murphy, O'Connell or Maguire had a sniff of being in the senior squad next season. They haven't made a single appearance as of yet and have a year or two each on their academy contracts. Think the only ones who will be making the move are those in the final year and at that, several of them will probably be let go like Sexton and maybe Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

GerM wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if the likes of Murphy, O'Connell or Maguire had a sniff of being in the senior squad next season.
    I agree that O'Connell and Maguire won't play for the first team next season since there's too much traffic in front of them at present. Murphy could feature. With the World Cup likely to mean Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip are away for a couple of months, there's definitely scope for somebody new to step up. Murphy could easily force his way past Paul Ryan and Stephen Keogh to get some bench action at least.

Jedwardian wrote: »
    I agree that O'Connell and Maguire won't play for the first team next season since there's too much traffic in front of them at present. Murphy could feature. With the World Cup likely to mean Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip are away for a couple of months, there's definitely scope for somebody new to step up. Murphy could easily force his way past Paul Ryan and Stephen Keogh to get some bench action at least.

Quite possible that he would get a bench spot once or twice but I cannot see him being in the senior squad. Would envisage him getting game time from his spot in the academy, just as Madigan and McKinley have done this season. There's such a queue for the back row in Leinster though that someone like Murphy might have to look at moving. McLaughlin, Jennings, Ruddock, Ryan, P Ryan and D Ryan are all likely to be left behind by Ireland. Not sure what the situation is with Keogh's contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Quite possible that he would get a bench spot once or twice but I cannot see him being in the senior squad. Would envisage him getting game time from his spot in the academy, just as Madigan and McKinley have done this season. There's such a queue for the back row in Leinster though that someone like Murphy might have to look at moving. McLaughlin, Jennings, Ruddock, Ryan, P Ryan and D Ryan are all likely to be left behind by Ireland. Not sure what the situation is with Keogh's contract.
    I'm pretty sure that P Ryan and S Keogh are out of contract this summer. I reckon Jennings will go to the world cup. I think he is Ireland's 6th choice backrowers (should be 5th imo) and we are likely to bring backrow forwards and I can't see all 5 ahead being fit.

If Jennings go Leinster will have McLaughlin, Ruddock, D Ryan, Murphy, then if their contracts are renewed Keogh and P Ryan.

If McLaughlin to lock is serious then I see Leinster as being rather short at backrow.

That said I don't think Murphy will get a senior contract, just another year in the academy and some game time with the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Do we think all the internationals will be back for the munster game?

I think they were last time but I could be mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

durkadurka wrote: »
    Do we think all the internationals will be back for the munster game?

I think they were last time but I could be mistaken.

yeah. they have been previously. A full-blooded warmup for the european qfs the following week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

crisco10 wrote: »
    yeah. they have been previously. A full-blooded warmup for the european qfs the following week....

Yeah pretty much this, if they ain't injured they will play. Ya don't really want players having a three week break before a HC QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Plus Leinster-Munster are the two biggest games of the season, the IRFU would want full compliments for each team!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Oh god I can't wait for Leinster vs. Munster! I love these games so very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Oh god I can't wait for Leinster vs. Munster! I love these games so very much.
    I don't. :(

• Advertisement

Just like last year when I didn't want Munster to finish 4th as they'd face Leinster, I don't want Leinster to finish 4th as they'll probably face Munster in the ML play offs. The less games between the two, the better. Of course there's a big satisfaction to be garnered from beating your rivals but the build up, the spite, the fairweather fans who suddenly spring out of the woodwork to spout bile, the losers always complaining about the treatment by sections of the opposition support, the victors mocking the losing team....ugh. It makes forums and media outlets pretty bitter and depressing things to read for about a fortnight. Not really looking forward to the Munster/Leinster match at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Just like last year when I didn't want Munster to finish 4th as they'd face Leinster, I don't want Leinster to finish 4th as they'll probably face Munster in the ML play offs. The less games between the two, the better. Of course there's a big satisfaction to be garnered from beating your rivals but the build up, the spite, the fairweather fans who suddenly spring out of the woodwork to spout bile, the losers always complaining about the treatment by sections of the opposition support, the victors mocking the losing team....ugh. It makes forums and media outlets pretty bitter and depressing things to read for about a fortnight. Not really looking forward to the Munster/Leinster match at all!

But the game is always awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Nigel Owens for the QF........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

lemansky wrote: »
    Nigel Owens for the QF........

That would have been great news 2 years ago. Now though it's very much the opposite... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

He's not been great of late. But I still like to think there's a Leinster jersey in his closet at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

tolosenc wrote: »
    He's not been great of late. But I still like to think there's a Leinster jersey in his closet at home.

Pun intended?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Sure a lot of bile is spouted pre, during and post Leinster vs. Munster matches, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

The friendly banter with the old man and his son in the seats beside me at the Aviva, the incredible intensity shown by both sides for 80 minutes, the quality of rugby, the almost tangible atmosphere, the chance to see ~25 of Ireland's finest rugby players giving their all (and more) to get one over an old rival, the intruiging match-ups (O'Gara & Sexton, TOL & Reddan, Earls & Firzgerald etc.), a sea of blue and red... Maybe its just me, but godammit, I love these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Sure a lot of bile is spouted pre, during and post Leinster vs. Munster matches, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

The friendly banter with the old man and his son in the seats beside me at the Aviva, the incredible intensity shown by both sides for 80 minutes, the quality of rugby, the almost tangible atmosphere, the chance to see ~25 of Ireland's finest rugby players giving their all (and more) to get one over an old rival, the intruiging match-ups (O'Gara & Sexton, TOL & Reddan, Earls & Firzgerald etc.), a sea of blue and red... Maybe its just me, but godammit, I love these games.

Agreed, it's also a serious warm up game before both teams play in Europe a week later, the timing of it is a great benifit to both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Hope it's not TOO serious a warm-up, need our players in top shape! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'd say munster will be keen to end the run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

durkadurka wrote: »
    I'd say munster will be keen to end the run

But they won't. They'll play the way they've played against Leinster in the last few years and it'll be the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

With DOC/POC/Wallace coming off a very good six nations that might be in better than shape than previous match ups though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

munster will always be favourites in limerick, last year poc and earls had to pull out at the last min. this had a huge effect on them.

i would say munster will be favourites again in the game in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

CatFromHue wrote: »
    munster will always be favourites in limerick, last year poc and earls had to pull out at the last min. this had a huge effect on them.

i would say munster will be favourites again in the game in limerick.
    Hopefully! Then off to the bookies I shall go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hope it's not TOO serious a warm-up, need our players in top shape! :)

No, what most of them need is a full-on, high intensity game. It's no coincidence that the Munster v Leinster games are always on the week before the resumption of the HC, and it's worked out well for Leinster the last two seasons - we wouldn't have beaten Clermont last year if we hadn't been at full tilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

All of our remaining games are massive now.

We need to win everything for home semi in league and winning the Heineken Cup is a realistic goal with the draw, but damn it's a tough run in, we'll have to beat the two best foreign teams in Europe to get there. Ironically, whoever we would get, the final would be are easiest game left in the Heineken with likely Toulouse in the semi if we get there.

Very nervous about the Leicester game.

Very tempted to head down to Limerick for the Munster game. It'll be like a cup final. That's going to be a massive game for both teams. As long as there's no injuries I can live with any result. Even if we lose and advance in the Heineken, I'd say we can take them in the play-offs, home or away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

(brought over from connacht discussion thread so as not to drag off topic)
    David900 wrote: »
    Jesus you should think before you write. Do you even know the chap?
    Last year he was second in line at Leinster, do you know exactly why he stayed this year, maybe he was contracted?

That is a pretty damming assessment of his character to say he only stayed as a hanger on. Make the point if you want, but maybe you should be a bit more tactful.

Be tactful?

I hope I don't hurt his feelings, granted, but just stating fact really. He only got into "second choice" towards the end of that season and spent most of the first half behind the retiring Chris Keane and even Simon Keogh at times. (I'm not sure if he had an injury, but I do recall him being completely off the radar and seem to recall he was spending all his time in the A's by then).

When he was "second choice" i'm not sure he was used off the bench once, and was often the only player not used on the entire bench in many games iirc...hardly a massive vote of confidence in being there on merrit rather than emergncy cover...

The signing of Boss was the curtain call for O'Donohue at Leinster.

I don't think it's particulalry "damning assesment of his character" to say he was desperate to make it at Leinster....he gave it a good few years and never moved on despite never making an impact on the senior team, only getting a handfull of appearances in weakend squads at times....it's more of an accurate statement of affairs than any attack on his character....and if the word "desperate" is misleading, I don't mean it in a negative sense, he really gave Leinster his best shot, that's where he wanted to play, and that's fair enough, it just really doesn't seem likely that he'll ever make the breakthrough now at Leinster at least.

I'd suggest trying not to be so precious..

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

[Jackass] wrote: »

Be tactful?

I hope I don't hurt his feelings, granted, but just stating fact really. He only got into "second choice" towards the end of that season and spent most of the first half behind the retiring Chris Keane and even Simon Keogh at times. (I'm not sure if he had an injury, but I do recall him being completely off the radar and seem to recall he was spending all his time in the A's by then).

When he was "second choice" i'm not sure he was used off the bench once, and was often the only player not used on the entire bench in many games iirc...hardly a massive vote of confidence in being there on merrit rather than emergncy cover...

I don't think it's particulalry "damning assesment of his character" to say he was desperate to make it at Leinster....he gave it a good few years and never moved on despite never making an impact on the senior team, only getting a handfull of appearances in weakend squads at times....it's more of an accurate statement of affairs than any attack on his character....and if the word "desperate" is misleading, I don't mean it in a negative sense, he really gave Leinster his best shot, that's where he wanted to play, and that's fair enough, it just really doesn't seem likely that he'll ever make the breakthrough now at Leinster at least.

You could have said he was desperate to make it at Leinster, you said his biggest flaw was being best buddies with O'Driscoll and desperate to hang around Leinster, implying that rugby was his second thought in his mind.
    Look I don't really want to go into a slagging match or anything, just that these are peoples lives and can't always just pack in in for Connacht if things aren't going well. I don't know the chap but I know he was in his last year of college in Dublin this year, maybe that was at the front of his thought?

And precious... Come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

[Jackass] wrote: »

Be tactful?

i think the best way to Judge POD is to consider his career since himself and Keatley were playing in the AIL for Clontarf, they had come off a season where they won the U20 grandslam and a lot was expected from both, at the end of that season Keatley (arguably the less rated of the two) went west and has seen his career on an upwards spiral with over 50 ML games and 2 international caps, POD stayed at Leinster and hasnt had any luck in getting any game time except at A and AIL levels.

POD needs to leave Leinster this summer and go to a team where he can get a run of games to start building experience, be that with Connacht or at a smaller team in england or france. He's a quality player, just needs consistent exposure at top level to build on his ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

I'm off to the printers to get 5k t-shirts done:

SNAKEBITE CHAMPIONS
    Leinster RFC 2011
    Magners League
    Heineken Cup

will go on sale when we win at Lansdowne on the 28th. Will also be splashing a 50k digital media "frape" on all facebook pages, its viral and contagious etc. twitter. social meeja. winning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement