Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Looking forward to the first home game in a while and the second coming of BOD...

I have a feeling he'll be better than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

durkadurka wrote: »
    Dyin' to get to a game.

My team for ospreys assuming fitness etc:
    vdm, Cronin,White
    Cullen, Toner
    Ruddock Jennings Auvaa

Boss?? Madigan

Fitzgerald McFadden BOD d Kearney
    Nacewa

Strauss McGrath White Thorn Ryan Cooney Berquist Carr.

You'd work White pretty hard - starting and sub :D

I hope Thorn gets a start.

It's amazing how there is such a contrast between feel good Leinster rugby... and Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

ambid wrote: »
    You'd work White pretty hard - starting and sub :D

I hope Thorn gets a start.

It's amazing how there is such a contrast between feel good Leinster rugby... and Ireland :(

D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The vagueness of the Leinster Squad Update leads me to believe bench at best for BOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Theyre always infuriatingly vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really hope they don't start VDM AND White.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Would like to see Hagan get in ahead of White. Will Leinster bring in another tight head next season when White goes to Connacht?.

Would like to see Hagan get in ahead of White. Will Leinster bring in another tight head next season when White goes to Connacht?.
    They might, or they might trust in OConnell as 3rd choice

I hope that they don't go near any other props, unless it's a 24 year Irish old lumpy freak that can lean in a straight line.

They taught Ross to play rugby when he knew how to scrummage, they could do it again if they had to.

I hope that they trust that with Ross - Hagan - McGrath - O'Connell - Healy - VDM we'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

My team for Ospreys

1. Van Der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Thorn
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. Auva'a

9. Boss
    10. Madigan
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley
    14. Carr
    15. Nacewa

16. Cronin 17. McGrath 18. White 19. Browne 20. Ruddock 21. Cooney 22. Berquist 23. Conway

And team for Munster..

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. White
    4. Cullen
    5. Thorn
    6. O'Brien
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Nacewa
    15. R. Kearney

16. Cronin 17. Van Der Merwe 18. Ross / Hagan 19. Toner 20. McLoughlin 21. Boss 22. Madigan 23. D. Kearney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Guys, Leo is only at best available for bench, interview with Joe on Leinster website.....at best he will make bench. He more or less has said that BOD is ready to go but I would guess he will start on bench

Guys from 6 nations have a week break, those who didn't play much in 6N will be back at end of week....

emmet02 wrote: »

I hope that they don't go near any other props, unless it's a 24 year Irish old lumpy freak that can lean in a straight line.

They taught Ross to play rugby when he knew how to scrummage, they could do it again if they had to.

I hope that they trust that with Ross - Hagan - McGrath - O'Connell - Healy - VDM we'll be fine.
    Tadgh Furlong will be second year academy as well, so we might see him once or twice. As will Moore and James Tracy

There are plenty of props in Leinster. We could survive with 0 NIQs in the front row next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Tadgh Furlong will be second year academy as well, so we might see him once or twice. As will Moore and James Tracy

There are plenty of props in Leinster. We could survive with 0 NIQs in the front row next season.

Ideal IMO would be an experienced versatile NIQ who doesnt mind being 3rd choice and would also be able to contribute off the pitch. I'd like to see McGrath being promoted to 2nd choice as much for Irelands benefit as Leinsters. I think after a run of games he could reveal himself to be one of the best looseheads in the country. I dont think the country can afford to have guys with his apparent talent languishing as 3rd choice in a province.

I suppose a bit of experience might be vital.

Also thinking about it both Ross and Hagan could get called up. Leaving us with just academy guys.

I suppose an NIQ is unavoidable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shuffol wrote: »
    Ideal IMO would be an experienced versatile NIQ who doesnt mind being 3rd choice and would also be able to contribute off the pitch. I'd like to see McGrath being promoted to 2nd choice as much for Irelands benefit as Leinsters. I think after a run of games he could reveal himself to be one of the best looseheads in the country. I dont think the country can afford to have guys with his apparent talent languishing as 3rd choice in a province.
    Perhaps someone from the NPC or Currie cups who isn't involved in SuperRugby and would be able to come for the season (from October) and go home at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Guys, Leo is only at best available for bench, interview with Joe on Leinster website.....

Joe in interviews gives such a confident and reassuring account of himself. It's impressive.

#manlove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

tolosenc wrote: »
    Joe in interviews gives such a confident and reassuring account of himself. It's impressive.

#manlove

Are you saying you find Joe's interviews more coherent than Declan Kidney's? :p

ambid wrote: »
    Are you saying you find Joe's interviews more coherent than Declan Kidney's? :p

"I'm not saying I didn't say it, but there is an element of the maybe about it, perhaps it was said, perhaps it wasn't, what was more important was the question was asked, and the answer was, eh, the lads gave it a shot sure, we'll regroup and talk about it and at the end of the day if the ball bounces the wrong way its a tough game to get to grips with with the weather conditions that are out there and the

what was the question?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

[QUOTE='[Jackass]And team for Munster..

4. Cullen
    5. Thorn
    [/QUOTE]

I hate to say it but unless Browne is finally getting his shoulder looked at this isn't a combination I particularly want to see that often.

I think we should be giving Toner and Browne as much big game time as possible and I think they will step up to the mark if given the opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just read there in the Times about Schmidt's concern with how the IRFU are handling Fitzy's contract. Absolute joke shop as usual. Hope they pull their finger out soon.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Just read there in the Times about Schmidt's concern with how the IRFU are handling Fitzy's contract. Absolute joke shop as usual. Hope they pull their finger out soon.
    Didn't Schmidt say he's confident they'll get the deal done? He sounded pretty positive from what I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Didn't Schmidt say he's confident they'll get the deal done? He sounded pretty positive from what I read.

It did, but Schmidt can be as confident as he likes, it still doesn't change the fact the IRFU are messin about.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

.ak wrote: »
    It did, but Schmidt can be as confident as he likes, it still doesn't change the fact the IRFU are messin about.

Why should Fitz be nailed on for a central contract? He hasn't any international form for 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

padraig.od wrote: »
    Why should Fitz be nailed on for a central contract? He hasn't any international form for 2 years now.

When has that ever come into it? DOC and ROG are on central contracts. The IRFU has no clue what it is doing.

If he isn't nailed on for a contract I'd expect the IRFU to give the responsiblity to renew his contract to Leinster. However in a previous interview it was claimed that we couldn't even make an offer for him and we just had to wait for the IRFU to sort things out.

I would be unbelievably pissed if Fitzgerald ended up leaving Leinster without so much as sitting down with Dawson and Schmidt to talk about a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Didn't the same thing happen at the start of last years 6 Nations? The IRFU were stalling on Heaslips and Sextons contracts but they eventually gave them the new deals.

I think Fitz will stay. This is just the IRFU being stubborn.

Fitz is the one messing about guys. He is claiming he gas offers from overseas and dragging his feet in order to get the best deal. And all power to him. Hardly the IRFUs fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fitz is the one messing about guys. He is claiming he gas offers from overseas and dragging his feet in order to get the best deal. And all power to him. Hardly the IRFUs fault though.
    I think both sides are waiting for the other to back down. It would be extremely foolish for Fitz to leave Leinster and the IRFU won't want one of their internationals possibly leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

tolosenc wrote: »
    When has that ever come into it? DOC and ROG are on central contracts. The IRFU has no clue what it is doing.

Just because you do something incorrectly once doesn't mean you have to do it again. That is called learning from your mistakes.

Central contracts should be reserved for the exceptional (BOD, POC, Ferris, Sexton) and for positions where we have little depth and need to protect a player (Ross) not for a winger who has been injured on and off for 18 months and was woefully out of form before injured (6 nations 2011).

• Advertisement

Just because you do something incorrectly once doesn't mean you have to do it again. That is called learning from your mistakes.

Central contracts should be reserved for the exceptional (BOD, POC, Ferris, Sexton) and for positions where we have little depth and need to protect a player (Ross) not for a winger who has been injured on and off for 18 months and was woefully out of form before injured (6 nations 2011).

Lets say I agree with you, surely Leinster should be allowed to sit down with Luke and negotiate a deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement