Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

padraig.od wrote: »
    Just because you do something incorrectly once doesn't mean you have to do it again. That is called learning from your mistakes.

Central contracts should be reserved for the exceptional (BOD, POC, Ferris, Sexton) and for positions where we have little depth and need to protect a player (Ross) not for a winger who has been injured on and off for 18 months and was woefully out of form before injured (6 nations 2011).

Yeah but we all know that Bowe and Fitz (and Earls when he's there) are the best wingers in Ireland and need to be kept there. 2011 was a joke of a season - Fitzy was out of form, and allowed to play at FB where he wasn't any better. Serious issues with confidence and over thinking things in space. But anyone with a head on their shoulders has to admit that his form for club has come on leaps and bounds and is looking to be a stand out player for Leinster who are already awash with world beaters in the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Lets say I agree with you, surely Leinster should be allowed to sit down with Luke and negotiate a deal.

Certainly, yes, 100% they should be able to.

In form, uninjured Donnacha Ryan got a central contract last week, he shouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Certainly, yes, 100% they should be able to.

In form, uninjured Donnacha Ryan got a central contract last week, he shouldn't have.

I don't think you really understand the concept of the central contract system tbh

Fitz shouldn't get a central contract.

I hope he gets a Leinster one though.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but we all know that Bowe and Fitz (and Earls when he's there) are the best wingers in Ireland and need to be kept there. 2011 was a joke of a season - Fitzy was out of form, and allowed to play at FB where he wasn't any better. Serious issues with confidence and over thinking things in space. But anyone with a head on their shoulders has to admit that his form for club has come on leaps and bounds and is looking to be a stand out player for Leinster who are already awash with world beaters in the backline.

Fitz hasn't shown to be one of the best wingers in Ireland for a few years now. That he is being offered a central contract tells me that the IRFU subscribe to the "class is permanent, form in temporary" view. Which is at the heart of a lot of the criticism of Kidneys and previously EOS selection policy.

I think there is a conflict of interest between national team selection and the central contracts system.

Let Fitz & Leinster Branch sort out a contract and if he's playing well he'll be selected for Ireland. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

The central contracts thing has become a bit of a joke anyway.

When Denis Leamy signs a new 2 year contract in the last few weeks you know there's a serious problem.

Realistically, I don't think Fitz should get one based on injury and form. To me, Central Contracts are those who are almost nailed down starters in the Irish team and it'd be tough to get Fitz in with Earls, Trimble and Bowe all in decent form at the moment.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I don't think you really understand the concept of the central contract system tbh

Care to enlighten me?

Seph503 wrote: »
    The central contracts thing has become a bit of a joke anyway.

When Denis Leamy signs a new 2 year contract in the last few weeks you know there's a serious problem.

Realistically, I don't think Fitz should get one based on injury and form. To me, Central Contracts are those who are almost nailed down starters in the Irish team and it'd be tough to get Fitz in with Earls, Trimble and Bowe all in decent form at the moment.

Did Leamy get one? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Did Leamy get one? Ridiculous.

Unfortunately. IRFU announced it the start of February I believe.:mad:

Seph503 wrote: »
    Unfortunately. IRFU announced it the start of February I believe.:mad:

whomever was involved in the IRFU side of that deal deserves to get thrown out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We have an abundance of backrow talent in this country. We all know about Fez/SOB/Heaslip and that they are our starters. Then there is POM who is starting to force his way into Kidneys selection thoughts. Then there is Ruddock and Dom Ryan at Leinster. Both are internationals in the making imo and would offer more to Ireland than Leamy can at this stage of his career.

There was absolutely no need to give Leamy a new central contract. It just smacks of politics behind the scenes at the IRFU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Clegg wrote: »
    We have an abundance of backrow talent in this country. We all know about Fez/SOB/Heaslip and that they are our starters. Then there is POM who is starting to force his way into Kidneys selection thoughts. Then there is Ruddock and Dom Ryan at Leinster. Both are internationals in the making imo and would offer more to Ireland than Leamy can at this stage of his career.

There was absolutely no need to give Leamy a new central contract. It just smacks of politics behind the scenes at the IRFU.
    Wasn't Leamy's new contract at a stage when he was benching for POM, Ronan, and Coghlan in Munster.

I'd also have Muldoon and Henry ahead of him.

Is disgraceful that Leamy got a central contract when the likes of SOB doesn't have one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wasn't Leamy's new contract at a stage when he was benching for POM, Ronan, and Coghlan in Munster.

I'd also have Muldoon and Henry ahead of him.

Is disgraceful that Leamy got a central contract when the likes of SOB doesn't have one imo.
    It must be politics at work here. I refuse to believe that the IRFU are this incompetent. Leamy has been dogged by injury over the last few years and is now in his 30's. There is no way they can actually believe that he's one of the best backrow's we have in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I presume the purpose of a central contract is to give the IRFU some degree of control over the player correct?

I.E they can tell Leinster to rest a centrally contracted player, but can't make them rest a Leinster contracted player?

errlloyd wrote: »
    I presume the purpose of a central contract is to give the IRFU some degree of control over the player correct?

I.E they can tell Leinster to rest a centrally contracted player, but can't make them rest a Leinster contracted player?
    I'm pretty sure SOB is contracted with Leinster and has been rested
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7054.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

errlloyd wrote: »

They can and do. The IRFU are the branches. People assume too much of a distinction between them.

A central contract is merely the IRFU paying directly for the top players wages. I've heard rumours that they potentially have to pay less in terms of match bonuses etc, but I have no idea how true that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Have to say I thought SOB was excellent Saturday, was a constant menace at the breakdown, cut down ball carriers early by rushing out of the line and put in a few big hits.

Can somebody tell me would there be a significant difference between the training regime for an openside and other backrow forwards? Less weights more fitness and agility work etc. I'm just wondering as maybe if O'Brien could get himself more physically suited to playing 7 he could be a real force there. He's not naturally a huge guy like Ferris so shedding a few kilos mightnt be a problem. I actually thought he looked a bit smaller for the England game, maybe I just imagined it as I'd heard he'd lost a few kilos after his infection but I did struggle to tell the difference between him and Best when he was on, although they were wearing the same colour scrumcap.

shuffol wrote: »
    Have to say I thought SOB was excellent Saturday, was a constant menace at the breakdown, cut down ball carriers early by rushing out of the line and put in a few big hits.

Can somebody tell me would there be a significant difference between the training regime for an openside and other backrow forwards? Less weights more fitness and agility work etc. I'm just wondering as maybe if O'Brien could get himself more physically suited to playing 7 he could be a real force there. He's not naturally a huge guy like Ferris so shedding a few kilos mightnt be a problem. I actually thought he looked a bit smaller for the England game, maybe I just imagined it as I'd heard he'd lost a few kilos after his infection but I did struggle to tell the difference between him and Best when he was on, although they were wearing the same colour scrumcap.
    I heard close to a stone which would be noticable

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

OBrien had the most tackles on the Irish team over the 6 Nations I think, which is impressive given he didn't play a game. (That's not an ESPN stat either). 44 or something I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey Guys

I think I seen this before but did anyone confirm for the B&I cup semi is there booze available?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I think I seen this before but did anyone confirm for the B&I cup semi is there booze available?
    RDS is allowed sell, I don't know if they are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

RDS is allowed sell, I don't know if they are

Pretty sure they are, wasn't the match supposed to be in Donnybrook and got moved to the RDS as it can sell booze? That's what I heard in any case.

Burgo wrote: »
    Pretty sure they are, wasn't the match supposed to be in Donnybrook and got moved to the RDS as it can sell booze? That's what I heard in any case.

That was rumor around here but didnt see anything confirmed by Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

OBrien had the most tackles on the Irish team over the 6 Nations I think, which is impressive given he didn't play a game. (That's not an ESPN stat either). 44 or something I think.

He missed about another 60 minutes because of being subbed. Compared to Ferris who gets the plaudits but played all 400 minutes.

SOB and Heaslip are in poor form apparently. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

tolosenc wrote: »
    He missed about another 60 minutes because of being subbed. Compared to Ferris who gets the plaudits but played all 400 minutes.

I suppose all you can do is laugh.

People are saying that SOB won't make the plane for the Lions now.

He played the entire tournament with a celluitis infection in his foot. He lost a stone in a week. He was clearly unfit and yet he still was pretty damn good.

Burgo wrote: »
    I assumed the reasons for the move was more along the lines of capacity. This is a semi-final and its Leinster versus Munster. Even if its only the A teams more than 6,000 people will show up. Selling booze is probably only a bonus

I assumed the reasons for the move was more along the lines of capacity. This is a semi-final and its Leinster versus Munster. Even if its only the A teams more than 6,000 people will show up. Selling booze is probably only a bonus

Yeah I wouldnt think they just moved it because of booze, I guess they expected a big crowd with it being Good Friday and it also against Munster.....maybe one of the reason was booze but I was just wondering if that was confirmed by anyone? can't see anything on Leinster website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

tolosenc wrote: »

I think the problem for SOB was that most of his best work was done in defence, most notably his tackle count which although is what you want your 7 doing is really Ferris's forte. If you've 2 identical tackles in a game by SOB and Ferris the commentators will wet themselves over the Ferris one and barley notice SOBs. Of course it works the opposite way with ball carrying.

Similar forces were at work when POM got his start against Scotland and won a turnover, pundits and commentators rejoiced at the birth of a genuine no.7 oblivious to the fact that SOB had been winning a couple of turnovers in every game he's played.

But for his high penalty count SOB had a great 6N, its a pity that he wont be able to settle into any one position for province and country for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

I don't think Leinster will announce it on their website!!! Sends out the wrong message.

Watch and listen for it to come out through various press / mdeia channels but not official Leinster ones - my tuppence worth....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Interview with Fanagan up on LTV. Have to say the guy is very good in front of camera. Seems to have a good attitude too. There's obviously a lot of very good work going on with the players around the whole media thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement