Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

"The style of rugby I believe in is to do with good athletes being able to express themselves with confidence and self-belief, so they can take their opportunities.

"Players should be thinking on their feet. If you can get your players buying into that and they are comfortable with that approach, as we have seen with Leinster, then you should reap the rewards. I would certainly aspire to that Leinster approach.

"But players must be able to dovetail attack and defence; you can't have one without the other. So, it is a balanced approach. And, essentially, you want to play winning rugby.

"I think the entertainment part comes on the back of players being able to express themselves and enjoy what they are doing, not feeling the pressure of the outcome.

"If we can transmit that attitude to this relatively traditional group of Munster rugby men, we will make some progress.

"Certainly, from the skills I have seen them show on tapes I have watched, they look eminently capable of playing that way."

Sounds like he wasn't impressed watching the videos and he wants the players to play more heads up, intelligent rugby. He also sounds confident of doing it having seen the players available to him.

He also mentions the conservative enviornment and people being open to change. Hes hinting that he intends to change a few things which is good to hear also.

I hope he raises standards for everyone and that includes the underage structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ttankk

i am feeling bery positive about the future of munster rugby with the recent appointment of new head coach and backs coach. i think it will really bring a new style of plaay for our backs. i know penny said it will take a few years to get success again but i think we could really push for silverware next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Lads this long stiff thing is crap.

We would have made the final if Poite had done his job and sent Afoa off.Is anyone here going to dispute that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭launish116

lynchy101 wrote: »

We would have made the final if Poite had done his job and sent Afoa off.Is anyone here going to dispute that?

I hope that's sarcasm! But I guess that's like saying if the backs hadn't missed all there tackles on Gilroy it wouldn't of made a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

lynchy101 wrote: »

Tbh it was a blessing in disguise Munster lost, Leinster would have murdered us in the final with our decimated squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tbh it was a blessing in disguise Munster lost, Leinster would have murdered us in the final with our decimated squad.

Maybe, maybe not but I'd take a trashing in a final over a beating in a knockout game anyday. Getting to a final in a neutral ground and anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

phog wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not but I'd take a trashing in a final over a beating in a knockout game anyday. Getting to a final in a neutral ground and anything can happen.

Me too.

I took the loss to Ulster really badly, I was in a bad mood for a week straight... it was a horrible, horrible defeat and there's no way I'd accept it as a "blessing in disguise".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The future is unwritten. There's no way of knowing for sure what will happen in any given match.

Garrett Quinn-McDonagh has signed for Young Munster.
    Young Munster signed former Shannon out-half Garreth Quinn-McDonagh. A member of Ireland's under 20 squad, the youngster has been making waves in the number ten shirt for a few seasons at senior level and will now be hoping that this move will further enhance his chances of a move into one of the provincial clubs.

He was in the Munster academy this year but I think he left mid season to go to England, things must not have worked out for him.

Garrett Quinn-McDonagh has signed for Young Munster.

He was in the Munster academy this year but I think he left mid season to go to England, things must not have worked out for him.

The Academy called him back. Doncaster wanted to sign him afaik.

• Advertisement

The Academy called him back. Doncaster wanted to sign him afaik.

Was he only on loan so?

Was he only on loan so?

According to rumours about town anyhow. Hope he's better for his time there, he was first choice there pretty much straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Was he only on loan so?
    yes, short term loan deal from feb when he signed contract to end of season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I'm like a broken record at this stage but I really, really want to see JJ concentrate at 10 next year

Hopefully Penny was watching the 20's game. With more game time there the errors in the first half will be cut out too

I'm like a broken record at this stage but I really, really want to see JJ concentrate at 10 next year

Hopefully Penny was watching the 20's game. With more game time there the errors in the first half will be cut out too

Fishooks12 wrote: »

He was class. Kicking out of hand could be improved on but he's a great running threat, brilliant burst of pace and has a lovely pass.

I thought Scannell was superb too, especially in the first half and Rael made a big impact when he came on. Well done to them all.

We could have our own Madigan next year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I assume JJ is in the academy next year as opposed to the senior side?

The raw materials there for a very, very good player. I wouldn't mind seeing him play at 12 if it is outside ROG or Keatley for big games, but I would hope to see him at 10 in a few Rabo games.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

JJ HANRAHAN FOR IRELAND

TomLamp wrote: »
    JJ HANRAHAN FOR IRELAND

Don't think anyone has mentioned anything about Ireland?

Rabo games next year to develop before people look at that

• Advertisement

JJ HANRAHAN FOR IRELAND

He was playing for Ireland today? :confused:

:pac:

Don't think anyone has mentioned anything about Ireland?

Rabo games next year to develop before people look at that

It was a joke. But one based in people wanting him to start ahead of even Keatley on the basis of an under 20 game. Bit over the top no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It was a joke.

Really? But you made the letters so big?! Made it look so serious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was a joke. But one based in people wanting him to start ahead of even Keatley on the basis of an under 20 game. Bit over the top no?

I would like him to start a game or two ahead of Keatley in the Rabo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

We could have our own Madigan next year!

I don't think he'll have such a big impact tbh. I think we'll see him primarily introduced at 12, with the aim to slot him inside to 10 when he begins to adjust to the tempo/physicality of the Pro12. That looked to be the plan up to now anyway; if its good enough for Carter, its good enough for Hanrahan.

One extra positive of Penney's appointment is that he has a great record of bringing through outhalves.

Was JJ Hanrahan just compared to Dan Carter? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Its a little bit of hype and hope, nothing over the top. It doesn't even come close to matching the level of hype expectations leveled on Luke "The Messiah" McGrath up in Leinster.

What's Hanrahan's defence like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Its a little bit of hype and hope, nothing over the top. It doesn't even come close to matching the level of hype expectations leveled on Luke "The Messiah" McGrath up in Leinster.

Keep your heresy off this forum. He's The Messiah. Deal with it.

• Advertisement

What's Hanrahan's defence like?

It's hard to know really...I didn't see him miss any tackles or get walked over, and I did notice one particularly good tackle he made but we'll see against England. South Africa weren't particularly imaginative in their attack.

I think he should definitely get some gametime at 10 and 12 in pro12 next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement