Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

donna1984 wrote: »
    hey david! ya got my letter to say i passed! i did my interview and exam in ennis filled out the BR FORM, which took forever, gave it to the garda station. so fingers crossed! i did ring reserves headquaters, and they said it could take 2 more months to get confirmation. i hope thats not the case!! let me know if you hear anything please! i hope i hear something soon, would love to go training and get going with it!!

I had my interview the same day, I think I was talking to you there. Are you from Limerick or Galway?

I'm just finished filling out my Form BR and its long, I mean loooooong. It's going to take them years to check everyone on my form. I did read somewhere though that you can be called for a medical before your background checks are completed. It would be great to get that done while you're waiting.

As already mentioned it seems that the Gardai, or at least Garda recruitment, is all about waiting so I'm going to the gym and reading up on some law to make the best use of the time. I know the feeling though, would love to be able to get into training now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

how long have you been waiting for????

well i m in phase 2 of training with the reserves like i was waiting about 6 months from applying in total before i was called to templemore for the training now we are finished our phase 2 training and have to wait till the end of july to go for phase 3 it s all a waiting game :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 donna1984

DavidH82 wrote: »
    I had my interview the same day, I think I was talking to you there. Are you from Limerick or Galway?

oh yes i remember you now! i'm from limerick, the other girl from galway was not succesfull. I have not got much aunts and uncles, so was lucky in that part of the form, but did move houses alot!!!!

ya im the same, at the gym alot, can run a mile under 12 mins now!! which is good for me, considering at christmas i couldn't run accross the road without passing out!!

so i guess it's the waiting game now!!!

da__flash wrote: »
    well i m in phase 2 of training with the reserves like i was waiting about 6 months from applying in total before i was called to templemore for the training now we are finished our phase 2 training and have to wait till the end of july to go for phase 3 it s all a waiting game :pac:

at least it has started for u!! and you are half ways through it now! u are lucky!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

at least it has started for u!! and you are half ways through it now! u are lucky!!! :)

ya the only thing is the waiting game is sicking like:mad::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hi all, anyone else waiting to be called for interviews on 30th June, 1st & 2 July 2009. have sent off the application but haven't heard anything, should i have been given an appointment by now, i emailed the application form back, should i have received a confirmation that the application has been received. thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hi all, anyone else waiting to be called for interviews on 30th June, 1st & 2 July 2009. have sent off the application but haven't heard anything, should i have been given an appointment by now, i emailed the application form back, should i have received a confirmation that the application has been received. thanks:)

Hi, I am waiting to be called for interview as well:D (but I'm in Dublin region)I emailed back my application form last week and didn't receive confirmation,don't think you are supposed to, I sent a follow up email to ask a Q about my application and they replied to that straight away!!
    Are these the only dates for interviews in your area? They could be planning to contact people this week!!hope I get a week or twos notice before the interview:)

spudz21 wrote: »
    Hi, I am waiting to be called for interview as well:D (but I'm in Dublin region)I emailed back my application form last week and didn't receive confirmation,don't think you are supposed to, I sent a follow up email to ask a Q about my application and they replied to that straight away!!
    Are these the only dates for interviews in your area? They could be planning to contact people this week!!hope I get a week or twos notice before the interview:)

hi spudz, the email says
    "interviews for applicants in the Cork / Kerry Region Dublin Region will take place 30th June, 1st & 2 July 2009. Interviews will take place at the Malton Hotel, Killarney (http://www.themalton.com/) and the Public Appointments Service, Dublin (publicjobs.ie)."
    so i was hoping for 2 weeks notice aswell, but not sure if were going to get it now. hopefully we get contacted this week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

spudz21 wrote: »
    ...hope I get a week or twos notice before the interview:)
    ...so i was hoping for 2 weeks notice aswell, but not sure if were going to get it now. hopefully we get contacted this week.:)

They sent you both out an e-mail saying about a month in advance that they will be holding interviews in x place on x date & that is your notice. They really couldn't be any fairer with applicants. Since you applied you know for certain now that you will be called for interview/report writting within one of those 3days they are holding them, which one or what time shouldn't matter. You should be preparing to be called on for any one of them. They will be more specific about a week or two before hand but you should know that you will definitely be called on to present yourself on one of the dates they told you about in the months' notice.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    They sent you both out an e-mail saying about a month in advance that they will be holding interviews in x place on x date & that is your notice. They really couldn't be any fairer with applicants. Since you applied you know for certain now that you will be called for interview/report writting within one of those 3days they are holding them, which one or what time shouldn't matter. You should be preparing to be called on for any one of them. They will be more specific about a week or two before hand but you should know that you will definitely be called on to present yourself on one of the dates they told you about in the months' notice.

i understand thats my notice but iam hoping i will get more then a few days notice for my interviue. i have to organize work and things, and i cants say i need one of these 3 days off, i have to give 1 weeks notice of time off, and in the current climate if i asked for 3, in short notice i wont get it :) i agree they have been fairr, but not sure if iam certian of being called, maybe i just need to be positive, :D once i get a call i dont really care if its an hour notice, will just have to work around it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

oh yes i remember you now! i'm from limerick, the other girl from galway was not succesfull. I have not got much aunts and uncles, so was lucky in that part of the form, but did move houses alot!!!!

ya im the same, at the gym alot, can run a mile under 12 mins now!! which is good for me, considering at christmas i couldn't run accross the road without passing out!!

so i guess it's the waiting game now!!!

I brought my form br into the station yesterday so that's another bit done. I think it's the interview with the sergeant next. Let me know how you get on.

DavidH82 wrote: »

I will let you know, take care, talk soon, Donna..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just got the letter to say I passed the interview and report writing! Really wasn't expecting it at all so I'm delighted.

Now to attempt to fill in this marathon of a form... :D

I had about 2 weeks' notice of my interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

sdonn wrote: »
    Just got the letter to say I passed the interview and report writing! Really wasn't expecting it at all so I'm delighted.

Congrats on passing the 1st stage, Here's a Tip...Get all your forms off asap...:eek:

Well done..:cool:

Mc J.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah sdonn, I'm delighted for ya - It really is a great feeling knowing you are one step closer eh :D

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah sdonn, I'm delighted for ya - It really is a great feeling knowing you are one step closer eh :D

This is it - although my teeth are a national disgrace so they need serious root canal-type fixing before I go anywhere. :pac:

Question for any of ye actually regarding the BR form - I don't actually know a Garda (although my Mam knows a retired Det Garda) - can I get one at the station to reccommend the application after the interview with Sgt/Super, or must the form be handed in before the interview? Also, I presume under Uncles/Aunts all you need is those directly related to you and not their spouses/partners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

This is it - although my teeth are a national disgrace so they need serious root canal-type fixing before I go anywhere. :pac:

Question for any of ye actually regarding the BR form - I don't actually know a Garda (although my Mam knows a retired Det Garda) - can I get one at the station to reccommend the application after the interview with Sgt/Super, or must the form be handed in before the interview? Also, I presume under Uncles/Aunts all you need is those directly related to you and not their spouses/partners?

i can help u with that hahaha
    yep someone at the station will reccommend u if they are nice enough lol if all else fails iv a few friends that will be happy to help hahahahaha
    I handed in my form br and a week later i had the interview with the super (he had my form in his hand)so after d interview it was sent off, different stations do it different ways.
    exactly u dont need ur uncles and aunts partners just immediate uncles and aunts!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

Hi All,

First Interview coming up for me on Thursday at Abbey court Hotel, Nenagh.

Any other Reserve wannabee get called for this?

Anyone got a link to part of this forum or anything else that can give me heads up about questions and report writing etc for the first interview stage?

Thanks in advance,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

murphman wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anyone got a link to part of this forum or anything else that can give me heads up about questions and report writing etc for the first interview stage?

Thanks in advance,

Questions asked:
    1.Community Involvement.
    2. Working as Part of a Team and
    3.Solving a Difficult problem.
    4.Why join up.

The writen report:
    Our report was <snip>

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

For me, Interview:

1. Work Experience
    2. Education, job ambitions (as Im in college)
    3. Teamwork/Problem Solving
    4. Reasons for wanting to join, experience of Gardaí etc
    5. Community Involvement

For Report Writing:

The material you get for the report writing actually prepares you quite well, as does the practice on the day. It would be very hard for any of us to demonstrate further (without breaking rules) other than to say if you're not sure about something, think hard and logically as I found one little thing a bit confusing which had a bearing on the rest of the story. Looking over it and thinking it out helped.

Keep an eye on the time but process time planning quickly, dont dewll on it, they're very strict to 30mins, and even I, who normally leaves exams at the 1/2 or 3/4 mark, was writing until the end.

got my interview date for the 30th June, anyone else doing it that day in killarney. :) cant wait :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

For me, Interview:

1. Work Experience
    2. Education, job ambitions (as Im in college)
    3. Teamwork/Problem Solving
    4. Reasons for wanting to join, experience of Gardaí etc
    5. Community Involvement

For Report Writing:

The material you get for the report writing actually prepares you quite well, as does the practice on the day. It would be very hard for any of us to demonstrate further (without breaking rules) other than to say if you're not sure about something, think hard and logically as I found one little thing a bit confusing which had a bearing on the rest of the story. Looking over it and thinking it out helped.

Keep an eye on the time but process time planning quickly, dont dewll on it, they're very strict to 30mins, and even I, who normally leaves exams at the 1/2 or 3/4 mark, was writing until the end.

Thanks for all your advice lads and ladies.
    Had the interview and report writing last Thursday.

Report writing was very intense, a few of the applicants failed to finish it.

I finished it but you don't really get a chance to study the images before you start writing..
    Not sure how I did on it, last time I did so much intense writing was back in the leaving cert.. very strict on 30 min time limit.

Had Interview after that - lasted 35-40 mins.

There was alot of focus on work issues and how problems were solved between workers and how you would handle certain situations...

Reasons for joining reserve was another big question.

Will just sit back now and wait for response from interview...

Thanks again, out of my hands now..

Thanks for all your advice lads and ladies.
    Had the interview and report writing last Thursday.

Report writing was very intense, a few of the applicants failed to finish it.

I finished it but you don't really get a chance to study the images before you start writing..
    Not sure how I did on it, last time I did so much intense writing was back in the leaving cert.. very strict on 30 min time limit.

Had Interview after that - lasted 35-40 mins.

There was alot of focus on work issues and how problems were solved between workers and how you would handle certain situations...

Reasons for joining reserve was another big question.

Will just sit back now and wait for response from interview...

Thanks again, out of my hands now..

Best of luck ;)

Got my date for interview and written exercise in the post today:D:D
    2 weeks time!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

i got e mail from publicjob.ie that saying i should fill the interview form and post it,also say( 4 copies in total).Can i photocopy after i filled out or i should fill each????
    should i go for interview preperation course....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Coud you explain about the four copies thing, i got an email aswell to fill out forms for the interview and cant see anything about four copies, dont want to mess this up so could you explain what it says, thanks

jypo wrote: »
    Coud you explain about the four copies thing, i got an email aswell to fill out forms for the interview and cant see anything about four copies, dont want to mess this up so could you explain what it says, thanks

Hey, I think the 4 copies thing applies to you if you are posting your application into public jobs but if you are emailing it back, you don't have to worry about it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Im sending off my four copies by post, do i need to put a photo with each form because im sending off four?

• Advertisement

ok, the long awaited interview is tomorrow, wish me luck!:eek: o yea, did anyone here on the 6.1 news that it is reported they will cut 2000 gardi, more scare mongering from rte. like they can reduce the force by that amount, a load of codswallop, :D my new word!!!!:P

Advertisement