Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

agree 100% with what StiofanD said and would like to add that you should also be prepared for an up to 18 month wait, took me almost 2 years from initial application to start of training.

you get plenty of time to reconsider along the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

How soon after the first interview do you find out if you were sucessful?

I did mine today and felt like the interview sucked. I'd prepared but the way they questioned me kinda threw me off a bit :/

Written was cool though, everyone else said they didn't get it finished, and I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

How soon after the first interview do you find out if you were sucessful?

I did mine today and felt like the interview sucked. I'd prepared but the way they questioned me kinda threw me off a bit :/

Written was cool though, everyone else said they didn't get it finished, and I did.

For me it was about 1 week afterwards.....I got a letter in the post.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

hey! hav my interview tmorow. any tips or advice!?

was told by a senior garda that the process moves swiftly after the interview phase. seems to be a conflict with what was said here! typical beauracracy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Scouser wrote: »
    hey! hav my interview tmorow. any tips or advice!?

was told by a senior garda that the process moves swiftly after the interview phase. seems to be a conflict with what was said here! typical beauracracy lol

hey Scouser, how did you find it went for you today?

• Advertisement

:D I done my Interview & Report Writting last week and found out this morning that I passed it. Oh, I am just over the moon. The moratorium is but a distant memory now when I think of the experience I will be gaining in the interim. This time last year I got the "dear John" for the full-time, what a difference a year makes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Well done Kerry4Sam! Thats great news, I got word myself last week delighted too, hope process does not take too long from here...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

kerry4sam wrote: »
    :D I done my Interview & Report Writting last week and found out this morning that I passed it. Oh, I am just over the moon. The moratorium is but a distant memory now when I think of the experience I will be gaining in the interim. This time last year I got the "dear John" for the full-time, what a difference a year makes :D

Me too!! :D:D

I'm thrilled... I really thought I failed the interview. I actually thought half-way through "this is going sh!t" but seems not.

I'm guessing you were there last thursday too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

I'm thrilled... I really thought I failed the interview. I actually thought half-way through "this is going sh!t" but seems not.

I did mine thurs 12th and got word last week! :)

Mun23 wrote: »
    Well done Kerry4Sam! Thats great news, I got word myself last week delighted too, hope process does not take too long from here...:)

Oh gosh I seriously hope things move along smoothly now. I don't mind waiting for the backgrounds checks once I get the medical done & passed.

But still though it really is great knowing the supposed hardest part is done now by us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭billyhead

MCJ,

When did you sit the interview and written test?

I did mine in February. Does anyone have an idea as to how long on average does it take before your called for the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

billyhead wrote: »
    MCJ,

When did you sit the interview and written test?

I did mine in February. Does anyone have an idea as to how long on average does it take before your called for the medical

Interview 26th March 09, Based in Dublin...Letter came with good news 2nd April 09 That's fast...........

Medical I think? Comes quicker in Dublin then any where else...

Where are you based?

Mc J. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭billyhead

MCJ,

I had that meeting with the Seargenat. I am not sure if its the same interview that others had with both the Seargeant and the Super. You just sit down with the Seargeant and he signs it before he sends it off to HQ. He gives you a sheet with his siganture on it as proof that you handed it in. I would say we could be waiting for months before anything else happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

billyhead wrote: »
    MCJ,

I had that meeting with the Seargenat. I am not sure if its the same interview that others had with both the Seargeant and the Super. You just sit down with the Seargeant and he signs it before he sends it off to HQ. He gives you a sheet with his siganture on it as proof that you handed it in. I would say we could be waiting for months before anything else happens.

I know that one... This is different, The Skipper wants to meet for 10mins to fill out some paper work, what ever that entales..??

I think this is running along pritty fast...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Hi,
    was just wondering how its all going, i had my interview the other day, i think it went ok but i didnt get to finish my written, none of the eight of us did!!!
    Im excited, i want it so much, i eventually want to be a full member but this is the way to go til they take on again. im afraid that ill be treated like sh*t though!!
    Iv heard a few stories about full members refusing to go out with a reserve in the car etc. (he told me not to go 4d reserves too!)
    I know ill have to earn respect but how could i if i dont even get the chance!! See im getting myself all worked up already. I wouldn go for it (and not get paid!) if i didnt want it more than anything.
    I guess im just looking for some advice and how everyone else feels about it!
    Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Look it, everyone is different. What I say to everyone is go in as an individual you are doing this for yourself and no one else so dont mind what anyone says to you. Whoever that Guard was that tried to discourage you from joining was, in my opinion wrong to do so. If you want to be a guard full time then why shouldnt you join the reserve? Im in the middle of my reserve training and the general feeling i recieved from reserves who are in my station a while is very mixed. Some feel they are accepted some not. You must make effort with people yourself. As for any full time member who doesnt want to get into a car with a reserve, well thats their problem you are there to assist in their duties and if they dont want you to then you go to your sergeant. A lot of full time Guards have respect for reserves as a lot of them want to become full time members and they are doing this for free. Like I sadi everyone is different go in with your head held high and do the best you can

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Hi,
    was just wondering how its all going, i had my interview the other day, i think it went ok but i didnt get to finish my written, none of the eight of us did!!!

Hi Dentalnurse,

I assure you there is nothing to worry about re: the report writing. I did mine in Febreuary and did not finish all of it (as far as I remember I finished four or five pages and left 2-3 pages untouched). A week later got a letter informing that I passed. I think what they care about more is the quality rather than quantity (within reason). If you paid attention to details both written and graphic and produced an accurate description of 70% of the scenario you will be fine (according to my experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Thanks everyone for your reassurance!!!!! Its much appreciated. I feel much better now! xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 donna1984

hey! did anyone have an interviewand exam for the reserve's on the 19th of may, or around then? I think I did ok, well I hope so. how long do you have to wait to hear from them, I hope i get a call to say to book a medical. I hate this waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Have my interview for the Reserve tomorrow morning- any tips from anyone who's done it, or anyone else here doing it tomorrow in Dublin?

Also, is the dress code is full formal or do people turn up smart casual/other? Was gonna just play it safe and wear the suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

sdonn wrote: »
    Have my interview for the Reserve tomorrow morning- any tips from anyone who's done it, or anyone else here doing it tomorrow in Dublin?

Also, is the dress code is full formal or do people turn up smart casual/other? Was gonna just play it safe and wear the suit.

hi sdonn, its full formal for most people, wear the suit!!! good luck!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Yes wear the suit and be yourself it isn't as though the rest of your life depends on it. You will be asked about your role in the community and conflict resolution.Good luck.

Firstly, best of luck tomorrow sdonn :). The interview panel will be fair & you will feel relaxed from the get go. Try and come with various scenarios for the sections you know they will touch on but also a scenario or two on conflict resolution. Confidence & Honesty should shine through. It is formal so a suit would be advisable alright.

You don't have to finish the report but they will be checking for spelling & grammar mostly on the amount that you do write. That section is okay being honest but I would advise keeping an 'odd' eye on the time though.

Do keep us posted sdonn, good luck again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well, that's the interview and written put away - can't really judge how I got on but your man the former Super is fairly tough allright, think I was talking a bit much for him because he cut me off a couple of times. Got the impression he thought I was a bit of a young pup which can't be good. The lady was very nice though, and I was able to answer everthing even if they did seem a little ameteurish compared to what a Garda or reserve would do.

The writen was tougher that I imagined, mainly because it was a little confusing. Can't elaborate too much or I'll break the rules re scenarios but suffice is to say I don't reckon the characters were explained properly. Very strict on the pens down, the supervisor got fairly spatty at one lad :P

We shall see...

As for the stats, 8 of us there altogether this morning/afternoon. Had my interview at 11.15 and the report writing at 1, there were a few who stayed and were doing interviews this afternoon. Best of luck to anyone in the same boat, t'was nerveracking! Cheer to kerry/baton/dkill for the advice, too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richiedelight

hi there,i

I had my interview week before.....i passed it heard tuesday....so im happy i agree with what you said....very tough your man wasbut fair i think.....test was too short time....and girl was very harsh i stopped half way through a word as she was heading for me like a bull

richie:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

I passed the interview three weeks ago and just back from talking to an inspector in my local station. It went well he seemed pleased with me. Does anyone know how long it takes for the next stage to happen? Do they only accept a certain amount to each station??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Hi donna, I did my interview on the 19th of May and I got a letter last week saying I had passed. I'm just filling out the form br now, hopefully I'll be dropping it into the station at the weekend. How did you get on? Did you do your interview in Ennis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

i hope you enjoy waiting because thats the name of the game like:pac::D:pac:

DavidH82 wrote: »
    Hi donna, I did my interview on the 19th of May and I got a letter last week saying I had passed. I'm just filling out the form br now, hopefully I'll be dropping it into the station at the weekend. How did you get on? Did you do your interview in Ennis?

hey david! ya got my letter to say i passed! i did my interview and exam in ennis filled out the BR FORM, which took forever, gave it to the garda station. so fingers crossed! i did ring reserves headquaters, and they said it could take 2 more months to get confirmation. i hope thats not the case!! let me know if you hear anything please! i hope i hear something soon, would love to go training and get going with it!!

• Advertisement

da__flash wrote: »
    i hope you enjoy waiting because thats the name of the game like:pac::D:pac:

how long have you been waiting for????

Advertisement