Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

sorry for the stupid qustion but i have my interview on wednesday and am wondering do i wear shirt and tie or something more casual?

was thinking that,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

lanno25 wrote: »
    sorry for the stupid qustion but i have my interview on wednesday and am wondering do i wear shirt and tie or something more casual?

I myself just went casual nothing fancy really but its up to the individual themselves how they feel really

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

lanno25 wrote: »

I wore a shirt,tie trousers and shoes but you don't necessarily have to wear that you can make it smart casual (just don't go in jeans, runners and a t-shirt :p:D ) .
    I'd go in in a shirt and tie etc think it just gives a better impression that way but this is just my opinion on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

WELL THATS THAT...IM OUT.
    Two and a half years of waiting for nothing, but a Dear John..
    Yes, I am really disapointed but I knew it was always a possibility in the back of my mind due to a family member i suspect but will never know for sure.
    I fully respect the decision from the top as it is in everybodys interests I guess. But a big blow to me as an individual especially the idea of not being able to work for free.! will bounce around in my head for a while but i will get over it. To all those who made it and all those applying i wish you the best of luck for the future.
    A SLIP OF THE PEN IS NO FAULT OF THE MIND
    Signing off On Standby..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

on standby wrote: »
    Yes, I am really disapointed but I knew it was always a possibility in the back of my mind due to a family member i suspect but will never know for sure.
    I fully respect the decision from the top as it is in everybodys interests I guess. But a big blow to me as an individual especially the idea of not being able to work for free.! will bounce around in my head for a while but i will get over it. To all those who made it and all those applying i wish you the best of luck for the future.

bad luck.

is it possible to find out for sure why they turned you down, rectify it and apply again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Sorry to hear about that you should make a appeal

You should look abroad if im turned away i shall be moving to New zealand or Canada after college

there recruiting at the moment so you should check it out

Sorry to hear that mate im sure you are not the only 1 just others have not come on and told people but i myself and others could be in the same boat :( and until we are called we have to presume we are in with a chance

Best of luck with what ever you decide to do now ;)

hi lads i have my interview and test tomorrow and just wonering dose anyone have any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

Hi, sorry to hear that you were not accepted, although I would push for an answer, seen your posts and you have been patient, hope you find something suitable for you to do, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

I have applied for the garda reserve but have yet to choose my interview date.

is there any current members on here who could provide me with some advice as im rather anxious to be as prepared as possible for the interview, report writing assessment and medical etc

Im currently a volunteer with the RDF but I do not find this as fulfilling as a Garda would. Being a Garda has been my dream!(soppy? oh well!)

perhaps PM those who wish to help me out as I dnt want to harass the disinterested! and i can provide you with my info bout myself and ask more questions bout the job

Cheers all!

Scouser wrote: »
    I have applied for the garda reserve but have yet to choose my interview date.

is there any current members on here who could provide me with some advice as im rather anxious to be as prepared as possible for the interview, report writing assessment and medical etc

Im currently a volunteer with the RDF but I do not find this as fulfilling as a Garda would. Being a Garda has been my dream!(soppy? oh well!)

perhaps PM those who wish to help me out as I dnt want to harass the disinterested! and i can provide you with my info bout myself and ask more questions bout the job

Cheers all!

I would advise reading back over this thread everything has nearly been covered and you will prob get a better incite into the mechanics of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Hi Guys,

Have my interview in 2 weeks time for the reserves! Would appreciate any info that would help me or any questions that may have threw people off in the past? Have went over all the "common" questions but just wondering if anyone got asked anything out of the ordinary...
    All help appreciated,

Thanks...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Mun23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Have my interview in 2 weeks time for the reserves! Would appreciate any info that would help me or any questions that may have threw people off in the past? Have went over all the "common" questions but just wondering if anyone got asked anything out of the ordinary...
    All help appreciated,

Thanks...:)

From memory questions will centre around your involvment in the community and conflict resolution type questions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey all.

Have my first interview in about two weeks. I've read over this entire thread (took a while! :P) and it has helped a lot. Just want to make sure I'm totally clear on a few things though!

1) The area of question will be community involvement and conflict resolution. I've done a martial art and drama for about four years, as well as being in the RDF for about three years. Would this be sufficient for the community work?

2) With regards the conflict resolution questioning, can anyone expand on that a little? I'm afraid that there's a 'wrong' answer and that I'll give it!

3) I'm shortsighted, and will need laser surgery to correct this. If I get as far as the medical stage, can I then postpone the medical to get the surgery done? As I'm only getting it to join the force.

4) Should I make it clear that I'm looking at the full time force as a future career? I've a degree already, but don't wish to pursue that field - I want to be a Garda instead.

Any help and advice would be excellent. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread, helps us newbies an awful lot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

Hey all.

Have my first interview in about two weeks. I've read over this entire thread (took a while! :P) and it has helped a lot. Just want to make sure I'm totally clear on a few things though!

1) The area of question will be community involvement and conflict resolution. I've done a martial art and drama for about four years, as well as being in the RDF for about three years. Would this be sufficient for the community work?

2) With regards the conflict resolution questioning, can anyone expand on that a little? I'm afraid that there's a 'wrong' answer and that I'll give it!

3) I'm shortsighted, and will need laser surgery to correct this. If I get as far as the medical stage, can I then postpone the medical to get the surgery done? As I'm only getting it to join the force.

4) Should I make it clear that I'm looking at the full time force as a future career? I've a degree already, but don't wish to pursue that field - I want to be a Garda instead.

Any help and advice would be excellent. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread, helps us newbies an awful lot! :)

Hi Jimmy,

As someone who had an interview recently I think the best piece of advice I can give is to prepare the things outlined in the preparation material. The interview went exactly as outlined (i.e. i was asked questions about the 3 themes Community Involvement, Working as Part of a Team and Solving a Difficult problem)....the lady from PAS asked questions about teamwork in my job and why I felt it was important etc...

Then it passed over to the Super who asked about community involement (dont know much about the RDF but I would think that this would be looked on favourably as involvement in the community). Then he asked about solving a difficult problem and I gave him an example from work...he then asked about solving one in a social setting (so as it mentions in the prep material have a few prepared, maybe you can bring in problems you have faced in the martial arts or drama here and how you resolved them??).

After that the Super asked about my reasons for wanting to join and what areas I would enjoy/dislike the most. The time really flies by and I felt I didn't get to say all I had prepared. With regards getitng across that you want to join full time I'm sure that would be a good thing to say (it never came up in mine though)

Dont know about the medical sorry!!

Hope this helps,
    sf

sf94 wrote: »
    Hi Jimmy,

As someone who had an interview recently I think the best piece of advice I can give is to prepare the things outlined in the preparation material. The interview went exactly as outlined (i.e. i was asked questions about the 3 themes Community Involvement, Working as Part of a Team and Solving a Difficult problem)....the lady from PAS asked questions about teamwork in my job and why I felt it was important etc...

Was I supposed to receive preparation material? I only got the letter, and the material outlining the written exercise.

Then it passed over to the Super who asked about community involement (dont know much about the RDF but I would think that this would be looked on favourably as involvement in the community). Then he asked about solving a difficult problem and I gave him an example from work...he then asked about solving one in a social setting (so as it mentions in the prep material have a few prepared, maybe you can bring in problems you have faced in the martial arts or drama here and how you resolved them??).

I presume the problem would be one between people (i.e. a disagreement between colleagues), and not an actual problem with the job (copier breaking constantly!). I almost feel stupid asking that question! :o
    But I just want to clarify it.

Same as with the social setting question - would a problem between two sports guys count?

Was I supposed to receive preparation material? I only got the letter, and the material outlining the written exercise.

Sorry maybe "preparation material" was a bit misleading.....it's just the 2 pages that you get with the letter. The first page and half talks about the interview and then the rest is about the written test

I presume the problem would be one between people (i.e. a disagreement between colleagues), and not an actual problem with the job (copier breaking constantly!). I almost feel stupid asking that question! :o
    But I just want to clarify it.

Actually I used a technical problem that I was having in work....I think that they just want to see your thought process as to how you go about solving problems so it doesn't really matter what the problem is.
    Same as with the social setting question - would a problem between two sports guys count?

Like I said I dont think its necessarily the problem that matters its your thought processes they are interested in

Sorry maybe "preparation material" was a bit misleading.....it's just the 2 pages that you get with the letter. The first page and half talks about the interview and then the rest is about the written test

I only got the cover letter with the time and date of the interview, and a 6 page handout on the written part... :confused:

I only got the cover letter with the time and date of the interview, and a 6 page handout on the written part... :confused:

To be honest I cant actually remember where I got that 2 page'r......a lot of it is just general interview tips the main things to remember are the 3 areas they will concentrate on.....Community Involvement, Working as part of a team and Sloving difficult problems aswell as why you want to join the Reserves

• Advertisement

To be honest I cant actually remember where I got that 2 page'r......a lot of it is just general interview tips the main things to remember are the 3 areas they will concentrate on.....Community Involvement, Working as part of a team and Sloving difficult problems aswell as why you want to join the Reserves

No worries man, you've covered what needed to be covered!!

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kg08

hey guys jus lookin fur sum info i am lookin to join the reserves at d min interviews in april is der a course i can doto perpare thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

HI have my interview in two weeks,any advice from the people who have been through the process

THE PIPER wrote: »
    HI have my interview in two weeks,any advice from the people who have been through the process

Hi PIPER, I had my interview a few weeks ago.....if you look back a few pages in this thread I have outlind the types of questions I was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

Thanks sf94

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well, took the plunge and applied - anyone else think 20 is a bit young for this? I'm in college but am interested in joining the regulars after I get my degree. Any of ye who follow the ES forum will probably be able to tell I have a genuine interest in the area.

If I don't get in - which with my feck all community activity (that isn't web-based), I expect will be the result - will that be regarded as a bar to entry into the permanent force or would it just be put down to inexperience?

Lastly, I've had a look through the thread and I may be blind but can someone revise what powers a reserve has, or maybe make a sticky as it's probably an FAQ? For example, I heard you were getting power of arrest without warrant under certain acts only -was that simply rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    If I don't get in - which with my feck all community activity (that isn't web-based), I expect will be the result - will that be regarded as a bar to entry into the permanent force or would it just be put down to inexperience?

Well done for applying. Being honest I think you should stay and keep positive about your application. When you apply then for the full-time I would guess they would put your reserve application down to dedication and if not successful, then lack of experience at this time. It certainly wouldn't be a bar to entry to full-time, but they may ask you about what you have done in the time before applying to full-time after the reserves in terms of gaining experience & community-work. Just my guess mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Well, took the plunge and applied - anyone else think 20 is a bit young for this? I'm in college but am interested in joining the regulars after I get my degree.

YOu are not too young at all. Get your degree then go for the full time position if ye still want to. Remember always keep your options open even when applying. Dont go giving up college unless you know for sure you are in. Always have a back up plan in case the recruitment drags out.

Ever played football or soccer?
    Ever helped a neighbour out with work in a farm or go to shop for them?
    Ever done anything at all where your community is involved?

You should find something that you did..
    Lastly, I've had a look through the thread and I may be blind but can someone revise what powers a reserve has, or maybe make a sticky as it's probably an FAQ? For example, I heard you were getting power of arrest without warrant under certain acts only -was that simply rumour?

Rumours, rumours, rumours.

The guards is the biggest rumour mill I have ever come across. Worse than a hairdressers salon on a Staurday morning.

Dont believe anything until it is in law

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

hey!

hav the interview next month, really excited!

can anyone tell me what the time line is to going to templemore if the interview is successful? i would expect the medical to follow etc soon after.

would it be reasonable to assume that training would commence in the early summer months or am i being optimistic? if its anything like the Army Reserve it wont be anytime this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Scouser wrote: »
    hey!

hav the interview next month, really excited!

can anyone tell me what the time line is to going to templemore if the interview is successful? i would expect the medical to follow etc soon after.

would it be reasonable to assume that training would commence in the early summer months or am i being optimistic? if its anything like the Army Reserve it wont be anytime this year!

I think you need to prepare yourself - the whole process can take quite some time to go through. Based on my experience, if you've your interview next month, and you are successfull, then you can expect the background checks to take a further 1 - X months. Once background checks are complete, you have one or more interviews with a local Inspector/Super. Then wait another 1-3 months for a medical.

If you pass the medical, you are then accepted as a GR candidate. Once there are approx 40 candidates that have also gone through the process and been accepted, they will organise the first weekends training in Templemore.

The biggest delay would seem to be background checks - assuming you and all your family have a clean record and all your family live in Ireland, then you could be through the process and accepted 4 months after your interview. Then you just wait for the next training intake. If there are any hiccups along the way, then it will take longer.

An interesting statistic that I've heard is that for every 1000 applicants to the GR, only 20 actually make it to the first days training. Don't let that put you off though - Good luck with the application!

Advertisement