Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

karlokarl wrote: »
    Oh, by the way, Shakin, I didn't do any prep courses cause there's nothing really to prepare for. It's all about your community and life so you can't exactly do a course for that! The report writing went fine I felt - plenty of time. Have you applied for the Reserves?

not yet have for the fulltime, must fill up the reserves soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

CO19 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Karl :( you probably got two gits for interviewers,mine just stuck to the 3 things that the notes for candidates says i.e community involvement-team work and differences you've made in your community that's it, so I wouldn't be really blamin yourself for not gettin through as I said you may have just been unfortunate with the two you got for the interview.

community involvement-local gaa and soccer?
    team work-local gaa and soccer+ actual work environment?
    differences youve made????

help!

whats the general answer for these anyone know?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

shakin wrote: »
    community involvement-local gaa and soccer?
    team work-local gaa and soccer+ actual work environment?
    differences youve made????

help!

whats the general answer for these anyone know?:)

For community involvement say your in your neighbourhood watch scheme,you help out at your local community center etc anythin like that.
    Team work again you can take from anywhere, working together as a team in a sport,in charity work,from college,school,work etc.
    Then you can say for differences you've made in your community somethin like how you look out for the elderly in your area makin sure they're safe and help them out if they need it etc etc,stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

CO19 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Karl :( you probably got two gits for interviewers,mine just stuck to the 3 things that the notes for candidates says i.e community involvement-team work and differences you've made in your community that's it, so I wouldn't be really blamin yourself for not gettin through as I said you may have just been unfortunate with the two you got for the interview.

Yeah I had prepared a good bit of stuff on the three main points and it was all legitimate stuff i.e. playing music for fundraising events...but they spent a good part of the interview on conflict/resolve in the part time bar job I have. The super asked me a good deal on this and just when I thought it was over the PAS lady started going on bout it! Wasn't really prepared for that plus I don't really have any probems at work so I didn't have any good examples.
    So for anyone going for it I'd say look at conflict/resolve and have a few answers ready even though this isn't one of the three points mentioned in the interview material. I have a good feeling that's what failed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

karlokarl wrote: »
    Yeah I had prepared a good bit of stuff on the three main points and it was all legitimate stuff i.e. playing music for fundraising events...but they spent a good part of the interview on conflict/resolve in the part time bar job I have. The super asked me a good deal on this and just when I thought it was over the PAS lady started going on bout it! Wasn't really prepared for that plus I don't really have any probems at work so I didn't have any good examples.
    So for anyone going for it I'd say look at conflict/resolve and have a few answers ready even though this isn't one of the three points mentioned in the interview material. I have a good feeling that's what failed me!

Hey can you apply for feedback like you can with An G.S.?

I failed on Stage2 in the G.S. and when my feedback arrived i was surprised at the area i went down in ... The section i thought i done well i actually failed by 2points and what i thought was my weakest was actually my second strongest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Hey kerry4sam, yep you can apply for feedback. All you have to do is ring up the Garda Reaerve Unit in the PAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

I have to say the recruitment process has been quick for me to date. I applied and then got a phone call within minutes on my mobile and they offered me a date the next day for interview in Dublin but I couldn't make it that day. I have done my interview and report writing exercise now and I heard back that I passed both within days. Got my GR2 3 days after interview (before I even heard I had passed) and will send it back now soon.

The interview went well as the sup. and person from the PAS are very friendly. .

good luck to anyone else still awaiting etc

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    I have to say the recruitment process has been quick for me to date. I applied and then got a phone call within minutes on my mobile and they offered me a date the next day for interview in Dublin but I couldn't make it that day. I have done my interview and report writing exercise now and I heard back that I passed both within days. Got my GR2 3 days after interview (before I even heard I had passed) and will send it back now soon.

The interview went well as the sup. and person from the PAS are very friendly. .

good luck to anyone else still awaiting etc

wow fair play ... well done ciaran ... sincerely hope it works out for you in the reserves :)

I received a letter in the post to fill out the Interview Application Form ... yey! at last like :D .

They are holding interviews in Cork during August and also in Killarney in early October.

I was beginning to wonder about the process but i will go for it anyways considering i will be re-applying for An Garda Siochana at the next recruitment drive (probably in October). Hopefully my interview for An G.S. will stand to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kilkcat

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I received a letter in the post to fill out the Interview Application Form ... yey! at last like :D .

They are holding interviews in Cork during August and also in Killarney in early October.

I was beginning to wonder about the process but i will go for it anyways considering i will be re-applying for An Garda Siochana at the next recruitment drive (probably in October). Hopefully my interview for An G.S. will stand to me
    hi kerry 4 sam,read these boards all the time,but i dont reply much.def keep goin.my son in phase 2 very informative,like learning the real thing.i't'l stand to you,give you an idea if you'll like it or not.intense but good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Friend of mine has his interview next week after 7 month wait

Got email with interview form today, day just gets better, first get my no 1 on the cao now tihs. I emailed thme as i plan to spen a portion of the year rougly 4 months from now and was equiring when my interview might be, they got back to me within minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Got email with interview form today, day just gets better, first get my no 1 on the cao now tihs. I emailed thme as i plan to spen a portion of the year rougly 4 months from now and was equiring when my interview might be, they got back to me within minutes

I think you applied about the same time as me (early July), didn't you? I haven't gotten any email from them, but I did get a letter that simply 'acknowledged my registration of interest' ??? I was hoping for more than that. Maybe I'll call them and see how I can move the process along. Are you in Dublin Fyr.Fytr ?

I just emailed asking for a rough idea when my interview would be, got th for emailed back to me in minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Hi all I applied to the reserves and have mi interview next week...its all happinging really quick...is there a shortage for reserves?i hope to become a full time member some day does anyone have any advice as to whether I should join reserves and if you become a reserve is it easier to get in to full time or is it harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

when did you apply?
    padlad88 wrote: »
    Hi all I applied to the reserves and have mi interview next week...its all happinging really quick...is there a shortage for reserves?i hope to become a full time member some day does anyone have any advice as to whether I should join reserves and if you become a reserve is it easier to get in to full time or is it harder?

I applied for the reserves mid august and got my letter last friday to ask If i still wanted to go ahead so i sent off my interview application form and was called back yday to say i have interview next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

I applied for the reserves mid august and got my letter last friday to ask If i still wanted to go ahead so i sent off my interview application form and was called back yday to say i have interview next week!

best of luck with your interview, how it goes well x

I went for the interview and the written test yesterday. I think it went well, although I ran out of time towards the end of the written test - I think I spent too long reading the scenario. Just be sure you have an answer for each of the points listed in the interview preparation material, and you'll be fine.

Can't wait to find out if I've passed and move on to the next stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

stiofanD wrote: »
    I went for the interview and the written test yesterday. I think it went well, although I ran out of time towards the end of the written test - I think I spent too long reading the scenario. Just be sure you have an answer for each of the points listed in the interview preparation material, and you'll be fine.

Can't wait to find out if I've passed and move on to the next stage!

Best of luck with the process Stiofan, GR2 comes next, dob's for all your family members, can be a pain if you're from a big family with relations overseas.

One tip for anyone doing the written assessment: bring your own pen/biro, one you know will work. They handed us out a new box of pens that were probably stored upside-down, major time was lost getting the feckin things to ink up, time we could have done with at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Thanks for that. Just I have been invited to my first interview next week and it seems to become a reserve garda is a quite long process... Well it will be clear next week. Anyway thanks for that again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

I have the preliminary interview scheduled within the next 2 weeks. Could anybody advise me as to what sort of questions they ask and what the written test is like? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

I have the preliminary interview scheduled within the next 2 weeks. Could anybody advise me as to what sort of questions they ask and what the written test is like? Cheers

One of the questions they will ask you is, why do you want to join the Garda Reserve. The written test is simple enough, they will ask you to look at a Video or a comic Scene of an Accident or say House Fire and then ask you to write a Report on it.

For the report writing exercise you are given a handbook with a scenario...its in picture format and its in order..in the pics there could be someone saying something about the incident or for a car crash could be a pic of the car and its reg,colour,etc...you have to write a report on what you see on what you believe to be relevant and anything that is irrelevant you dont put it in because you will lose points...think its 40min long but when i done it i was non stop writing!interview is pretty much what your gona expect...dont think i was asked anything out of the ordinary! best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

have a read over everything you've gotten from them so far, there are notes for candidates with certain points you will be questioned on like..

making a difference
    community involvement
    teamwork
    dealing with a crisis

can't remember exactly but it's that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

I presume the interview is very formal and you would not get away with wearing a shirt, trousers and jumper to it i.e will I need to wear a suit?

I wore a shirt and tie to my interview, but there were others there dressed less formally. Of course, I don't know if they were accepted or not ;)

I'd recommend you treat it like any other interview and dress accordingly.

I applied there a few weeks back, closing date was the 14th(?) of Jan' and interviews were meant to be held ''at the end of January'' haven't recieved any clarification on my interview, starting to think now that there over and the letter never came(haven't seen anything to say they have or haven't been on), im located in Galway!

Anyone else apply from here and get word?!

Trying to use this as a stepping stone to getting into the force proper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

sorry for the stupid qustion but i have my interview on wednesday and am wondering do i wear shirt and tie or something more casual?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

lanno25 wrote: »
    sorry for the stupid qustion but i have my interview on wednesday and am wondering do i wear shirt and tie or something more casual?

Definitely wear a suit. Dress like you are interviewing for the last job you will ever have.I use this approach for any interview/meeting in my present job and also when I was interviewing for AGS. Always does the trick ;)

Advertisement