Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

dkhill47 wrote: »
    ok, the long awaited interview is tomorrow, wish me luck!:eek: o yea, did anyone here on the 6.1 news that it is reported they will cut 2000 gardi, more scare mongering from rte. like they can reduce the force by that amount, a load of codswallop, :D my new word!!!!:P

What did RTE say? Like lay off people ?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

ok, the long awaited interview is tomorrow, wish me luck!:eek: o yea, did anyone here on the 6.1 news that it is reported they will cut 2000 gardi, more scare mongering from rte. like they can reduce the force by that amount, a load of codswallop, :D my new word!!!!:P

best of luck with the interview :D ya heard that and the tv3 news i find it quiet funny the goverment spent so much on the accelrated recruitment drive to get the total up to 14,000 and now they want to reduce numbers by 2000 great little country we live been run by the brainest people ever:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

da__flash wrote: »
    best of luck with the interview :D ya heard that and the tv3 news i find it quiet funny the goverment spent so much on the accelrated recruitment drive to get the total up to 14,000 and now they want to reduce numbers by 2000 great little country we live been run by the brainest people ever:D:cool:

What I really hope they dont do is reduce the numbers of the full time members of AGS and think that the Reserve will be there to make up the shortfall just because they cost less. This would not be good for the public, the Reserves or full time members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

What did RTE say? Like lay off people ?!?

i cant remember exactly, but it was mentioned in a OB link, I think he said cut the Force by 2000. when i heard that i kinda panicked, not sure of the context so might be wrong!

i cant remember exactly, but it was mentioned in a OB link, I think he said cut the Force by 2000. when i heard that i kinda panicked, not sure of the context so might be wrong!

looks like it will be the final nail in coffin as regards to Garda Recruitment for the next few years.

Joined the reserves over 2 years ago as I thought it would help me when applying for the full time but it looks to have backfired now as it looks like the reserves will give the impression to the public that numbers are still high and we cost nothing substantial to run :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

my gosh it seems like yesterday you were enquiring about applying heehee. Sincere best of luck, I'll be in town tomorrow - send me a PM if you want to meet for an coffee, no bother.

That does sound like pure codswallop alright by RTE, I won't give it much credence until dept. justice makes an official statement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mac51

hi all just after sending my application form away...just woundern if any one has any further info regarding the time frame etc..

kerry4sam wrote: »

That does sound like pure codswallop alright by RTE, I won't give it much credence until dept. justice makes an official statement though.

RTE were only mentioning what is purpose by An Bord Snip Nua, was also on TV3.

They said a copy was going to the Minister maybe tomorrow so suppose see what happens:rolleyes:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    my gosh it seems like yesterday you were enquiring about applying heehee. Sincere best of luck, I'll be in town tomorrow - send me a PM if you want to meet for an coffee, no bother.

ah thanks kerry, they do grow up fast. hopefully your advice will push me over the line. how do you know i'm not some kinda crazy nutter from the west!!!! :eek: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Good Luck tomorrow!:D
    Take some notes for me!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ah thanks kerry, they do grow up fast. hopefully your advice will push me over the line. how do you know i'm not some kinda crazy nutter from the west!!!! :eek: :p

heehee I'll know in the morning I guess in my local coffee-shop, Alan will sort you out at that hour if you're not :D but from talking to you via PM , you're genuine enough for me. I'll se ya soon dkhill47, hope you're not awake at this hour but getting some sleep before your reserve interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Anybody here go for interview over the past few days down in Killarney? I was there today and thought it went quite well. You really do have to write till the end with the written exercise though, don't you?

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Anybody here go for interview over the past few days down in Killarney? I was there today and thought it went quite well. You really do have to write till the end with the written exercise though, don't you?

hey EGOSHEA, yea i was there Tuesday, went quite well, but the more i think about it the worse i think i did. are you from kerry? the PAS Lady told me that it was mostly people form cork that were going to be there.36 over the 3 days i think she said. the report was grand, just got it finished when she said pens down :)

hey EGOSHEA, yea i was there Tuesday, went quite well, but the more i think about it the worse i think i did. are you from kerry? the PAS Lady told me that it was mostly people form cork that were going to be there.36 over the 3 days i think she said. the report was grand, just got it finished when she said pens down :)

Hey DK, how did you find the interview?and written?
    Ive mine next Wednesday:eek::D

spudz21 wrote: »
    Hey DK, how did you find the interview?and written?
    Ive mine next Wednesday:eek::D

hey spudz, how you, well the interview was on a par with the full time one, just not as long, so if you've done the full time interview you know what to expect, the competencies aren't the same but you know the 3 areas they will want to discuss, just know what you want to say.

the report, i would say, is easier then the full time one, you have a series of sketches with speech bubbles, you have to write a report on it. all the information in in front of you, just make sure you only give them what tey are looking for. all in all, its noting to worrie about. very fare and quite friendly. good luck:)

by the way, rooster or kerr pink?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Hey dk, I'm from cork myself - and you? i'd say you did just fine. you got it finished and everything and your explanation of it sounds spot on. i had one more sentence to write but i doubt that'll make a big difference!

the PAS lady told me we'd know within two weeks - looking forward to it (if i pass, that is). Another PAS lady who was there was quite frank before the interview and suggested that many of the top brass are going to retire (in order to avoid the pension levy) - she called this a 'brain drain'! so that, along with the recruitment moratorium (which may last for two years), is going to really thin the ranks. i wonder what kind of reception reserve gardai are going to get from full-timers if we end up being perceived as 'filling the gaps' left by the retirees. that was exactly what the GRA were wary of at the launching of the reserve. only time will tell, i guess.

Good luck to you, spudz.

Hey dk, I'm from cork myself - and you? i'd say you did just fine. you got it finished and everything and your explanation of it sounds spot on. i had one more sentence to write but i doubt that'll make a big difference!

the PAS lady told me we'd know within two weeks - looking forward to it (if i pass, that is). Another PAS lady who was there was quite frank before the interview and suggested that many of the top brass are going to retire (in order to avoid the pension levy) - she called this a 'brain drain'! so that, along with the recruitment moratorium (which may last for two years), is going to really thin the ranks. i wonder what kind of reception reserve gardai are going to get from full-timers if we end up being perceived as 'filling the gaps' left by the retirees. that was exactly what the GRA were wary of at the launching of the reserve. only time will tell, i guess.

Good luck to you, spudz.

the issue of full-times attitude came up in my interview, and the super was adamant that the fulltimers have no proublem with reserves. after all you have a defined role, and i think members would sooner a reserve to being on there own, once the reserve is competent, and sure if you pull your weight and know your place i dont think there will be a prob. iam from kerry, not may reserves down here!

hey spudz, how you, well the interview was on a par with the full time one, just not as long, so if you've done the full time interview you know what to expect, the competencies aren't the same but you know the 3 areas they will want to discuss, just know what you want to say.

the report, i would say, is easier then the full time one, you have a series of sketches with speech bubbles, you have to write a report on it. all the information in in front of you, just make sure you only give them what tey are looking for. all in all, its noting to worrie about. very fare and quite friendly. good luck:)

by the way, rooster or kerr pink?:D:D:D

Haha, any type of spudz!!Im not fussy:p:D

Have never had the opportunity of doing the fulltime interview, but have a fair idea what its like?!Tough enough!!Am thinking about what I might say for each of the areas so hopefully I'll be ok:D:D
    I'd say the 15 mins flew by!

Good luck to you, spudz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cathykelly

hey there,Can anyone help?

I missed the Nenagh interview dates... Can you do your 1st interview in a diff county?? Say Galway.. its the nearest one to me now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

cathykelly wrote: »
    hey there,Can anyone help?

I missed the Nenagh interview dates... Can you do your 1st interview in a diff county?? Say Galway.. its the nearest one to me now...

Yes you can. Give them a ring and they can add you to the list

Well, interview and written is tomorrow:eek::eek:
    PAS rang me today to change the time?!short notice...but its grand because I had taken the day off work anyway:D
    Best of luck to anyone else doing it in Dublin tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Well, interview and written is tomorrow:eek::eek:
    PAS rang me today to change the time?!short notice...but its grand because I had taken the day off work anyway:D
    Best of luck to anyone else doing it in Dublin tomorrow!!
    How'd it go?

lavman wrote: »
    How'd it go?

Phew!!its over:D
    To be honest, it was a tough panel?! They interupted alot when I was speaking!! And there was a lot of probing questions, they kept rephrasing the same questions on the one topic until they got an answer they wanted?!
    Dont know how I feel about it, could have gone either way?!:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richiedelight

hi ya all,have interview with station on sunday next,therte is a garda over the reserves,he seems really nice........it takes so long but worth it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

To be honest, it was a tough panel?! They interupted alot when I was speaking!! And there was a lot of probing questions, they kept rephrasing the same questions on the one topic until they got an answer they wanted?!
    It's done now hope you've done well. you'll find out soon enough they seem to be fairly quick with the results on that part of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

they did the same with me and i felt the same after i left the interview room but i passed it anyway and you have to remember they want to pass u they are not trying to fail u at all lol id say u have it passed no prob!!!!! :D

Well, did the interview last Wednesday and got letter in the post today saying I have been sucessful:D:D
    Talk about a speedy reply!
    Thanks to everyone for their invaluable advice on this thread!

Well, did the interview last Wednesday and got letter in the post today saying I have been sucessful:D:D
    Talk about a speedy reply!
    Thanks to everyone for their invaluable advice on this thread!

hi spudz, congratulations, did mine 2 weeks ago tomorrow, no letter yet, scared its bad news. anyone got any ideas?:confused:

• Advertisement

hi spudz, congratulations, did mine 2 weeks ago tomorrow, no letter yet, scared its bad news. anyone got any ideas?:confused:

Maybe its cos u live in Kerry:p
    Ah, but seriously stay positive:D:D
    I was scared about mine!?!

Advertisement