Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I'd run if I was you. The QBox is the biggest pain in the arse. Damn dtt tuner just stopped working again - I thought I had it sorted once and for all. Obviously I was wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Galen wrote: »
    I'd run if I was you. The QBox is the biggest pain in the arse. Damn dtt tuner just stopped working again - I thought I had it sorted once and for all. Obviously I was wrong..

selling mine too if anyone is interested,pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

jaysus are they that bad

you have too be into open source box and have time too play too have the likes of linux box,i dont im afraid

DuoLabs have released a new filesystem and bootloader for the QBoxHD mini http://www.qboxsvn.com/ and look what's in the bugfix list: Bugfix: Ticket #713: Sometimes there isn’t a stream from DVB-T (source of my trouble)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭Zardoz

you have too be into open source box and have time too play too have the likes of linux box,i dont im afraid
    Same old story with Duolabs so ,their software was always poor and buggy.
    I thought they would get it right with this receiver but obviously not .
    Hard to beat the Dreamboxes for support .

Zardoz wrote: »

going by other forums,its enigma 2 mostly but its also up too company,theres another user of qbox on boards who doesnt have any trouble,my problem was crossepg too and ddt ,wont be using crossepg and with new firmware will sort it,as im not much into Linux, probably why im off the box ,happy with all the feature and 3 usbs,playing media, picture and sound is the best i have seen so far, Duolabs and sellers do see threads like this and helps them im told,so we see,will update firmware etc and have it working right and sell it as family looking for something more simple too use with less features,as for dream boxes,little over priced just for sat and ddt for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Sorry to hear that the experiences have not been so great.I guess we want all the features, but we also want plug n play simplicity. Although at the moment the plug n play combo receivers, even like triax certified one has problems. Can I ask you guys that are selling up,what are your plans now. Will you go with another combo and if so which one or wait to see what new combos come out. Or will you go with a new DTV with Saorview and mheg5 and then add a freeview/freesat hd box or..... ??

Trying to decide myself, as my freesat box has packed in and the picnic box I have has a couple of problems. It takes about 5-10 minutes before it will power up from standby, always says there are new channels available and suffers from time to time from freezing. my preference was for a combo, as the wife is fed up with changing scart inputs on the tv and having to use 2 boxes.hmmm decisions, decisions...

gooner99 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that the experiences have not been so great.I guess we want all the features, but we also want plug n play simplicity. Although at the moment the plug n play combo receivers, even like triax certified one has problems. Can I ask you guys that are selling up,what are your plans now. Will you go with another combo and if so which one or wait to see what new combos come out. Or will you go with a new DTV with Saorview and mheg5 and then add a freeview/freesat hd box or..... ??

Trying to decide myself, as my freesat box has packed in and the picnic box I have has a couple of problems. It takes about 5-10 minutes before it will power up from standby, always says there are new channels available and suffers from time to time from freezing. my preference was for a combo, as the wife is fed up with changing scart inputs on the tv and having to use 2 boxes.hmmm decisions, decisions...
    thwere a firmware out,will see how it does,was looking at triax combo but too much problems,might look at new mvision combo ,not sure yet,let you know maybe after next week ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

No issues with my box .. all working sweet

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »

Dreambox never have problems do they :D

All Enigma2 software suffers from issues no matter which box you have. They all have bugs and its a matter of getting these fixed, these boxes have only been out 3 or 4 months or something ..still early days in ironing out some bugs.

The software on the whole is fine, and if you think this box is rubbish then good luck on your next purchase but i would advise to stay away from linux boxes unless you can put up with some bugs or indeed use the SVN yourself and fix them

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    No issues with my box .. all working sweet

@ Robxxx how do you find them compared to Dm 800 performance wise

2 different beasts relying on different architecture aswell as a big enough price difference.

Its fair to say that DM800 has far more support around compared to the QBox but DM800 is only single tuner.

Performance wise, the CPU on the QBox although slower is not as fully utilised compared to the DM800, the DM800 runs at about 8% occupancy and the Qbox about 7%.
    Sure there are still some bugs on the Qbox but they are being worked through.
    There are more teams supporting DM800, but there are still a few supporting the Qbox such as SIF Team.

QBoxHD software used to be buggy and poor on their older receivers, but the software here on the mini has been totally rewritten and is far more stable.
    All Linux receivers are not plug and play, and some people find it hard to get their heads around how to get things working .. but for the price its a good little box, i don't use it as my main box as i have a DM800, but for my bedroom and its never really missed a beat

hopefully the new updates for qbox mini will fix few bugs and i be happy,as its has alot of features and promise
    i do use it as main box in living room

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shezsharks

HEY iVE BEEN READING THREADS FROM THE START AND WAS WONDERING HAVE YOU SOLD YOUR BOX AND MOVED ON TO ANOTHER BOX AS UPC have now cancelled my analogue channels so need to get sorted - I have an Open Box S9 in sitting room but would prefer a twin tuner and this one seemed to be the cheapest, do you not recommend it anymore?

if your into linux based unit at a cheap price,then yes but if your not into messing with linux,i say no,there few here ,think powercity are selling golden media combo.seems good,mvision seems good also,talking too few installers say Ferguson combo can be abit of a pain,you could also try the triax combo seems ok,abit messing with menu ,hope it helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shezsharks

Thanks for the fast reply, my openbox is grand really it was just a twin tuner Id prefer but now need a combo to get the DTT Irish channels as I dont have them at all anymore so making it a bit more difficult to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Go on to adverts.ie and check out Sam Russel's (frequent poster here) little box. Now available for 45 yoyos + postage. This will tune in all the Irish DTT channels and you can connect up a hard drive to it to record onto.

Shezsharks wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply, my openbox is grand really it was just a twin tuner Id prefer but now need a combo to get the DTT Irish channels as I dont have them at all anymore so making it a bit more difficult to decide.

i know several sat installers and being told,mvision a good buy,best way too see is a supplier who carries both Ferguson and m vision,they have more returns from Ferguson,seems the older triax combo hd 527 combo is good too,the newer one the 537 while it has the mbeg5 ,have few menu issues,if your handy with Linux box.the the qbox mini ok but it can be a pain, personnaly i wouldnt touch again after my experience,while the picture and sound was brilliant ,was slow too bootup,maybe common with linux,editing was a pain too think the bigger qbox one is way better machine with built-in wifi,seems too work good
    from i can see now,mvision would be good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,133 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi

Sorry for the newbie question but a few months back I posted on the Sat form wondering if there was a DDTV+FTA alternative to SKY+

Essentially a box that does everything that SKY+ does but uses a DDTV and FTA feed.

I want to get rid of Sky for cost reasons but enjoy the the functionality of Sky +

Functionality would include, record from EPG (on external devise I am aware), playback, pause and rewind live TV, record up to two programs simultaneously, allow 'series link' type functionality

On that thread someone mentioned the QBOX HD Mini ?

Can the QBOX HD Mini do all the above ?

Again sorry for the newbie question.

• Advertisement

Hi, I wouldn't recommend a newbie taking on the Qbox HD Mini. I had one of those boxes but it would crash every day or two. I'd recommend the Technomate TM-6902 Combo or the MVision 300HD or the Ferguson Avira. EPG isn't brilliant on satellite with any of them (I've all three).

have too agree with Galen
    had one of these minis too,nice box with nice features but open source and linux based,support if ok too a point but had its problems ,like crashes,last update seemed too fix that,its slow too boot up,almost 3-4 mins from cold boot,
    mvision according too many installers i know say is good box

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I think the box you're looking for is a Vu+ Duo. The main unit does FTA sattelite (more if you'd like to add a card). You use a USB TV tuner to add Digital Terrestrial. You can view all in whatever order you like (all in one EPG). It can take internal or external SATA hard disk. Series link (by name, or part-thereof).

There's a bit of setting up/ understanding to be done in order to get it working first time, but you should have a pretty solid SKY+ rival (and better) satt-box with no sub required -and no sub to _SKY_ more importantly).

Loong thread on it here, but maybe you'll get the gist of it by reading just from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,133 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Galen wrote: »
    Hi, I wouldn't recommend a newbie taking on the Qbox HD Mini. I had one of those boxes but it would crash every day or two. I'd recommend the Technomate TM-6902 Combo or the MVision 300HD or the Ferguson Avira. EPG isn't brilliant on satellite with any of them (I've all three).
    have too agree with Galen
    had one of these minis too,nice box with nice features but open source and linux based,support if ok too a point but had its problems ,like crashes,last update seemed too fix that,its slow too boot up,almost 3-4 mins from cold boot,
    mvision according too many installers i know say is good box
    I think the box you're looking for is a Vu+ Duo. The main unit does FTA sattelite (more if you'd like to add a card). You use a USB TV tuner to add Digital Terrestrial. You can view all in whatever order you like (all in one EPG). It can take internal or external SATA hard disk. Series link (by name, or part-thereof).

There's a bit of setting up/ understanding to be done in order to get it working first time, but you should have a pretty solid SKY+ rival (and better) satt-box with no sub required -and no sub to _SKY_ more importantly).

Loong thread on it here, but maybe you'll get the gist of it by reading just from here.

Thanks for the replies.

I have seen the Vu+ Duo thread before and will now start trying to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭irishgeo

would this do astra and soarsat?

Sat tuner has only one inward connect and one pass through connection plus you need to two LNBs on dish.

I used to own one but my memory is rusty so I stand to be corrected on the tuner but you will need two lnbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Any DVB-S2 receiver that supports DiSEqC switching will work with Saorsat + other satellite positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any DVB-S2 receiver that supports DiSEqC switching will work with Saorsat + other satellite positions.

whats the cheapest one?

I am getting the LNB off TVTrade as well a dual LNB Holder. hopefully ill be able to get it all of the existing dish but it may not be big enough.

Current setup is sky dish with Quad LNB and i want to get rid of the sky sub and get freesat and soarsat.

OK i need 2 LNBs and holder and i have then 2 wires , all i need to get is a DiSEqC switch and then have one cable into the box.

SO what the cheapest box i can get that will do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

A Sky dish won't be any use for Saorsat. You will need an 80cm solid dish for Saorsat alone. Tvtrade have a "Saorsat & Freesat" kit, which uses 2 lnbs on a single 80cm dish, but I'd doubt that's big enough for reliable reception of both.

Another option, if you can get a Saorview signal, would be a combo satellite/terrestrial receiver (what this thread is actually about).

• Advertisement
Advertisement