Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys for the replies. I understand Kelticknight what you are saying about the soarview cert, but am I right in thinking that we will not get any combo box that is soarview and freewiew/freesat approved,so we always have to take some risk when looking at combo boxes?

I guess my main question is, have rte or bbc/uk plans to change to newer broadcasting systems that would make this qbox useless in the next few years.I guess rte are unlikely to change having just launched the damn thing. But I think I did read somewhere that bbc/uk are changing from DVD-S to something new,is that correct and would that make these current boxes useless?

the tuner cars in these type of poxes are different from lets say triax etc ,where in there type of boxes you can change the tuner easly in 5 mins as its plug and play setup,so lets say they change from dvb-s too something else,all you do is open the box,take out tuner card in it and put in new one,simple

Has anyone actually gotten one of these for 199 Euro as stated in the topic title?
    nope,cost me 212 euros plus tuner plus delivery,was good value

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Topic title should be changed so as tis a wee bit misleading.

Where did you get yours as a matter of interest?

Topic title should be changed so as tis a wee bit misleading.

Where did you get yours as a matter of interest?
    the thread was started before the box was release a,that was a guide price,maybe you can get for that price i havent seen it for that

got mine at sat-shop.co.uk,the guys where very helpful with everything,ask for antony

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you want PVR that's for TV with no DTT, you need dual tuner. (see DCENR) If the TV can receive Saorview without a setbox, then a PVR only needs one DTT tuner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

the tuner cars in these type of poxes are different from lets say triax etc ,where in there type of boxes you can change the tuner easly in 5 mins as its plug and play setup,so lets say they change from dvb-s too something else,all you do is open the box,take out tuner card in it and put in new one,simple

Many thanks for that. Good to know that this box has a few years life at least. Thanks for all the info you posted on this box to date. Look forward to reading more. I'm almost convinced now that this is the box for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

Here's a question I would like to ask which may hopefully help a lot of people out. Is MHEG5 a hardware based standard. Or is it a case that software can be used to make a tuner MHEG5 compliant.

Say, can all DVB-T tuners be made capable of receiving MHEG5.
    Or, can all DVB-T2 tuners be made capable of receiving MHEG5 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

ULMarc wrote: »
    Here's a question I would like to ask which may hopefully help a lot of people out. Is MHEG5 a hardware based standard. Or is it a case that software can be used to make a tuner MHEG5 compliant.

Say, can all DVB-T tuners be made capable of receiving MHEG5.
    Or, can all DVB-T2 tuners be made capable of receiving MHEG5 etc.

MHEG5 is software, not hardware.

Theoretically yes MHEG5 could be added to DVB-T/DVB-T2 boxes without. BTW, DVB-T or DVB-T2 is only a tuner module.

Will it happen ? No of course not. Each OEM writes the initial software for their box, this differs from box to box. To rewite and recompile the software for each box would require the code for each box which aint public domain. You would also need a MHEG5 software engine - not free written by the likes of Cabot/S&T/RedButton.

From end 2012 all new TV over 30" are required to have CI+ under Nordig spec. CI+ can run MHEG5 via its pcmia slot. But most of those TVs will have MHEG5 anyhow.

LG have open use of MHEG5 in their TVs as they wrote their own MHEG5 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I ordered QBox HD Mini from sat-shop.co.uk. sat-shop don't have the QBoxHd with the four tuner modules but HISAT.com (UK) has both.

I got a QBox HD Mini today but I can't find any Irish terrestrial channels. Any idea why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

Galen wrote: »
    I got a QBox HD Mini today but I can't find any Irish terrestrial channels. Any idea why?

Not enough info.

Where are you located? Have you been able to receive the DTT channels before this? Have you done a manual scan and with what frequency? What firmware version are you using?

Hi Apogee, I'm in Swinford, Co. Mayo. I am able to receive the Irish DTT on my Mvision HD300 without any problem. I have updated Qbox's firmware. At the moment It's scanning for fta channels 'slowly' so I'll try a manual scan later.

I just got Irish channels on a manual scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

The standard terrrestrial.xml file in the Qbox and many linux typre receivers do not have a full listing of DVB-T frequencies, so you have to do some searching to get the channels you want.
    I do know of another forum that deals heavily with the qboxhd and provides an updated terrestrial.xml on line to help you ... but not sure i can post the forum name here ....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Not sure how you got it for that price:confused:

I just contacted them and its £200 for the box with 2nd tuner + £20 delivery
    so that makes it 252 euro in total?

Which is about the same as KELTICKNIGHTT stated !

So yes, good value

cheers Robxxx7,was about too say the same
    qbox mini cost me £179.00 plus t-tuner cost ,plus delivery,which is what i said,cheap for open source linux system

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Alright ladies dont get your knickers in a twist. When you said plus i thought you meant it was included in the price:rolleyes:

I have purchased one but i still think the delivery was a bit steep at £20 considering its free to england.

Alright ladies dont get your knickers in a twist. When you said plus i thought you meant it was included in the price:rolleyes:

I have purchased one but i still think the delivery was a bit steep at £20 considering its free to england.

ok lady :D,i know you think its expensive for delivery but most things cost for a box that size £20 or more,as i get alot stuff from uk,
    there was a cheaper site for box but didnt have the t-tuner for the box so didnt get here,i think stb posted a link on the thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

hey guys
    just noticed this thread about qbox mini
    does anyone use this with 2 sat tuners instead of the extra terrestial tuner,
    will it work ok that way for recording 1 channel and watching another

• Advertisement

its a bit off thread considering this is the terrestrial section but in answer to your question .. 2 x DVB-S is no problem and will do as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

Two DVB-S tuners would be the setup I'd recommend anyway. considering at the moment we have only one mux to work off

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DVB-S2 is what is needed now. Not DVB-S (For Satellite)

On Terrestrial there will be 2x Mux soon and DVB-T needed, only one if TV is compatible, dual tuners for any real PVR for un-compatible TV.

Just to confirm that the qbox does work with DVB-S2 tuners

Does anyone want a one month old secondhand QBoxHD Mini? It's taken me a month to sort out it's software problems but I'm sick of it now. I'm posting it here because who'd be interested on Adverts.ie

PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

What are the software problems?

I've had trouble with the crossepg plugin causing my dtt tuner to stop but I've that sorted now thanks to people on the Sat-Shop forums. Everything else seems to be working okay now.

Gallen. I think you are saying it's now working 100% , but you've been put off the box with the problems that you've had with it?

Can you please post or pm the price and if you can send it by courier or if it's for local collection only?

Also how do you find the boot up time on it?

It's sold. A mate is taking it off my hands.

• Advertisement

No probs Gallen.Will probably hold off now for a couple of months to see what way the combo boxes and saorview/freesat go.

Advertisement