Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thank you Very, Very Much for that extremely helpful advice. I'l try and source some prices on the Vu+ Duo.

Fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

There's a long thread on foreign satellite forum on Vu+.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055816677

Many people, including myself, have picked then up from iElektoniks using a promotion code for about €390 including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Looks great!

...How about when surfing through favourites, is there much delay between channels in general? ...More importantly, when going between a satellite and DTT channel is there a longer delay?

Are these screenshots from the default EPG? ...Or _is_ there a default EPG?
    How about a 7-day guide... can you view a 7-day programme info guide for all channels of your choosing (eg. view listings for all DTT & Sat channels) and series record, etc.

Also, is it possible to use the network port to stream movies from PC?

...In short, is this "The Golden Box" as is, or will there be endless updates from various sources for the foreseeable future before it is attained?

Sorry for the blast of questions. Answer at your leisure by all means. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Apogee wrote: »

Sat-universe is the best imo.

Very good forum, but vodafone seem to be blocking this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

In fact the site is blocking vodafone customers.

• Advertisement

Looks great!

...How about when surfing through favourites, is there much delay between channels in general? ...More importantly, when going between a satellite and DTT channel is there a longer delay?

See video. Note C4HD and Five HD are slower than the others because it's reading the FTV card.

Are these screenshots from the default EPG? ...Or _is_ there a default EPG?
    How about a 7-day guide... can you view a 7-day programme info guide for all channels of your choosing (eg. view listings for all DTT & Sat channels) and series record, etc.

See end of vid for 7-day EPG. The appearance (or skin) is a default one though there are many others. DTT has native 7-day listings, but for 28E you need the CrossEPG to populate the grid. There is no series record for any 3rd party boxes apart from offical Sky+, Freesat+ or HTPC setups.
    Also, is it possible to use the network port to stream movies from PC?

I don't know but VLC player is available as a plugin and you can play divx movies directly from external hard drive anyway.
    ...In short, is this "The Golden Box" as is, or will there be endless updates from various sources for the foreseeable future before it is attained?

There are no Golden Boxes. There are various boxes at different prices all with their own pluses and minues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

heres 2 forums you get more info
    http://www.duolabs.com/forumz/index.php

http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/

ill have my qbox hd mini next week and will wifi or cable straight too qbox
    with these boxes being open source,there will be plenty of options and updates now and future

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Thanks very much for that Apogee. Looks very nice. The only disadvantage with this (and any other non-Freesat, etc. unit) is the lack of series record.

Is it true that units like this can be modded to use the Freesat EPG -and get series record that way? Sorry if that question is against the rules. I'm not looking for links, just in theory. ?

I'm not quite sure what advantage the Vu+ Duo has over this and the non-mini Qbox.

Thanks very much for that Apogee. Looks very nice. The only disadvantage with this (and any other non-Freesat, etc. unit) is the lack of series record.

Is it true that units like this can be modded to use the Freesat EPG -and get series record that way? Sorry if that question is against the rules. I'm not looking for links, just in theory. ?

I'm not quite sure what advantage the Vu+ Duo has over this and the non-mini Qbox.

Vix 1.3 image on Vu+ has series record type function.

when i have the qbox,.ill know more

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Vix 1.3 image on Vu+ has series record type function.

Are you sure? Can you post a link?

Its called autotimer works great. The website is down at moment for maintenence so no link.

But that's not proper series link as it doesn't use the CRIDs from the EPG data stream. It's more like a repeat timer function AFAICS which searches the EPG grid for similar instances of a programme name and makes a best guess. Though will prob work fine 95%+ of the time. Must check it out.

Apogee wrote: »
    But that's not proper series link as it doesn't use the CRIDs from the EPG data stream. It's more like a repeat timer function AFAICS which searches the EPG grid for similar instances of a programme name and makes a best guess. Though will prob work reasonably well 90% of the time. Must check it out.

Its better than anything else on fta boxes.

Its better than anything else on fta boxes.

do you have a link for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Its called autotimer works great. The website is down at moment for maintenence so no link.

Thats just a plugin that will work on any broadcom based machine (and a few others) and not specific to VIX image.

do you have a link for it
    you will find the file for sh4 based receivers on sat-universe or do a search on google and you should be able to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Looking forward to hearing how you all get on, I'm seriously considering one myself. Only thing bothering me is that I'd like my next box to be a bit more flexible recording-wise than my current Ferguson Ariva. So two Sat tuners a must.

I wonder though, could USB DTT tuners be added to the Qbox mini, if someone could add the drivers to an image? Or would the fact that Qbox actually sell DTT tuners put them off, unlike say the Vu+ crowd, where USB is the only option.

rurs wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing how you all get on, I'm seriously considering one myself. Only thing bothering me is that I'd like my next box to be a bit more flexible recording-wise than my current Ferguson Ariva. So two Sat tuners a must.

I wonder though, could USB DTT tuners be added to the Qbox mini, if someone could add the drivers to an image? Or would the fact that Qbox actually sell DTT tuners put them off, unlike say the Vu+ crowd, where USB is the only option.

ill ask where i bought it and see what they say
    i know usb wifi support is there

There is a possibility ,if it doesn't already, for drivers to be compiled into the firmware

• Advertisement

WELL GUYS,have the qbox hd mini up and going,impressed so far,both sat and irish ddt working perfect,can watch recorded stuff off a usb hard drive no problem with vlc player built in,3 usb in back,will get used too it some more ,give more detail ,good buy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm late to the thread. Does this box merge FreeSat and Saorview into a single box with a combined 7 day EPG and series link type PVR functionality?

I have FreeSat and was hoping to get a FreeView signal so I could have FreeView and Saorview combined on a single box but I'm not high enough to get the FreeView signal.

Really want the combined FreeSat/Freeview and Saorview content on a single box with 7 day EPG and series link type recording. Throw streamed sport and DL'd movies on top and it's bye bye UPC which would help offset some of the Universal Social Charge I got nailed with on Friday :mad:

Ben

I have qbox hd mini working 7epg for freesat and irish ddt,its my first linux,where i bought the qbox sat-shop.co.uk,found the guys specially antony very helpful,if i needed anything,was got for me,can play media content with vlc player,have a 500 gb usb powered harddrive working perfect off it for recording,any updates or addons i can get from where i bought it on there forum,when i first got it running,i updated the firmware,then added other addons,so overall. happy with it,adding wifi too use with web and can use usb powered keyboard and mouse so using keyboard with builtin touch pad,got rid of sky+ for this and havent looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

I have qbox hd mini working 7epg for freesat and irish ddt,its my first linux,where i bought the qbox sat-shop.co.uk,found the guys specially antony very helpful,if i needed anything,was got for me,can play media content with vlc player,have a 500 gb usb powered harddrive working perfect off it for recording,any updates or addons i can get from where i bought it on there forum,when i first got it running,i updated the firmware,then added other addons,so overall. happy with it,adding wifi too use with web and can use usb powered keyboard and mouse so using keyboard with builtin touch pad,got rid of sky+ for this and havent looked back

Hey Kelticknightt - The Qbox mini sounds like it is delivering on all that it promised as per specs
    [URL="[http://www.duolabs.com/datasheet/QBoxMini_Specs.pdf"][http://www.duolabs.com/datasheet/QBoxMini_Specs.pdf[/URL]

Can you give some feedback on some of the following though :-

- NAS connectivity for streaming Video content over the ethernet connection e.g. AVI, MP4, MKV files.

- Integrated Web Browser with Keyboard and Mouse support - what browser does it use ? Is it usable ?

- Built in Youtube player

- Connectivity with Apple devices (iPOD, iPhone, iPAD) for playing Music and Video

- Remote Web Interface

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Another couple of questions, if you don't mind!

How many simultaneous recordings can you do?

How are recordings named? ie, do they have the full title of the program from the EPG, or is it just a date and time?

Thanks in advance

patrickpc wrote: »
    Hey Kelticknightt - The Qbox mini sounds like it is delivering on all that it promised as per specs
    [URL="[http://www.duolabs.com/datasheet/QBoxMini_Specs.pdf"][http://www.duolabs.com/datasheet/QBoxMini_Specs.pdf[/URL]

Can you give some feedback on some of the following though :-

- NAS connectivity for streaming Video content over the ethernet connection e.g. AVI, MP4, MKV files.

- Integrated Web Browser with Keyboard and Mouse support - what browser does it use ? Is it usable ?

- Built in Youtube player

- Connectivity with Apple devices (iPOD, iPhone, iPAD) for playing Music and Video

- Remote Web Interface

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

as far as media goes,works good with media on usb hardrive,havent tryed browsers yet but will this week,havent had much time too,was alot too learn as has alot of features,waiting on wifi dongle from suppler
    if you connect a cable from router which i did too see if i could addons and i could straight away too qbox, has tube player,from other tell me it works great and also others are streaming from pc too the qbox with media and tube player
    as i dont have iphone,i couldnt tell you,all i can say so far is picture is sharp and nice and sound good too ,which i was surprised with

Another couple of questions, if you don't mind!

How many simultaneous recordings can you do?

How are recordings named? ie, do they have the full title of the program from the EPG, or is it just a date and time?

Thanks in advance

can record 2 while watching and full name ,im using a 500 gb usb powered hardrive with no problem so far and a second with media on it too watch through the vlc player,im told theres options for other media players but i have got that far yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

as far as media goes,works good with media on usb hardrive,havent tryed browsers yet but will this week,havent had much time too,was alot too learn as has alot of features,waiting on wifi dongle from suppler
    if you connect a cable from router which i did too see if i could addons and i could straight away too qbox, has tube player,from other tell me it works great and also others are streaming from pc too the qbox with media and tube player
    as i dont have iphone,i couldnt tell you,all i can say so far is picture is sharp and nice and sound good too ,which i was surprised with

Thanks for the feedback - would be interested in hearing more whenever you get a chance to go through all of the features.

Can you let me know the address of any internet forum you are on for Qbox Mini users so that I can follow any additional threads on there please?

Thanks again.

patrickpc wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback - would be interested in hearing more whenever you get a chance to go through all of the features.

Can you let me know the address of any internet forum you are on for Qbox Mini users so that I can follow any additional threads on there please?

Thanks again.
    i post more about it as i play with it and get too know the setup better

http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have not been able to find the answer in the specs ....... what filesystems are supported on the USB media that gets plugged in to this device?

Just trying to determine if it will play video from Linux native filesystems .... which I expect it should ...... but the info seems to be difficult to see (for me anyway) :D

Advertisement