Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I have not been able to find the answer in the specs ....... what filesystems are supported on the USB media that gets plugged in to this device?

Just trying to determine if it will play video from Linux native filesystems .... which I expect it should ...... but the info seems to be difficult to see (for me anyway) :D

Most STBs with PVR are FAT32 format dependent. Linux reads and writes the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

FAT32 is potentially a big problem with HD films. Interestly the LG TV we have (running a Linux) can read NTFS. Also some PVRs do NTFS or EXT3.

Even my Router's USB port can do EXT3, NTFS or FAT32.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

From memory, I have a 250GB external HDD formatted in EXT3 attached to a QBoxHD. Would presume similar should work for Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

i post more about it as i play with it and get too know the setup better

http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/

Thanks for the link and feedback.

Any further updates on how the Qbox Mini is working out for you ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

its my first linux box ,so was a learning curve
    have epg working for sat and idd,can record while watching ,can watch movies and media with vlc player,also can stream any content from pc
    picture excellent and sound as well as hd ,can use any usb or sata hard drive with no problem,does what i want it too,theres alot of other features it can do but havent had time too try yet,for a open source linux box at the price ,its good value,let you know about it more as i get too use the features more
    will say i was looking at the new triax sthd537 combo ,but glad i didnt now,as thsi can do way more and is future proof as far as addons and software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

I am using one of these for the last week and have to say i am very happy with it.I have it setup with dual satellite tuner which works great .
    I also have setup so it can play movies that i have recorded on my VU+ Duo and NAS harddrive in the attic.
    Great receiver and worth every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

Where could one purchase this box with the dual satellite tuner? Been looking around and the best price I can find for it is approx 250euro including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Where could one purchase this box with the dual satellite tuner? Been looking around and the best price I can find for it is approx 250euro including shipping.

250 is a good price i paid 265 from world of sat

what site was that
    ,i got mine from sat-shop,guys where very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

what site was that
    ,i got mine from sat-shop,guys where very helpful

yep, and you can get a 5% discount aswell

• Advertisement

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    yep, and you can get a 5% discount aswell

did you get one of these qbox mini

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I am thinking of getting a 2nd DM800 for the bedroom. Just wondering does this Qbox run enigma 2? Does it do all of the streaming etc that a DM800 will do? Can it do wifi instead of ethernet?

Ive a DM800 that has one of those faulty tuners so was going to move that into the bedroom and use a Belkin wifi dongle in it, then replace that in the living room with either an openbox (Dont think that does streaming), or Qbox or a newer version of the DM800?

snaps wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting a 2nd DM800 for the bedroom. Just wondering does this Qbox run enigma 2? Does it do all of the streaming etc that a DM800 will do? Can it do wifi instead of ethernet?

Ive a DM800 that has one of those faulty tuners so was going to move that into the bedroom and use a Belkin wifi dongle in it, then replace that in the living room with either an openbox (Dont think that does streaming), or Qbox or a newer version of the DM800?

qbox mini runs on enigma 2 like othe lixux boxs,you can have addons and plugins ibstalled ,you can do wifi option but i ran a cable for now ,will run wifi later when i get a dongle,it does streaming from pc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

qbox mini runs on enigma 2 like othe lixux boxs,you can have addons and plugins ibstalled ,you can do wifi option but i ran a cable for now ,will run wifi later when i get a dongle,it does streaming from pc etc

Okay i am glad you are happy with it. How about some screen grabs of the combined EPG and its functionality or a little video clip of it working showing channel change epg etc. Would you do that ?

STB wrote: »
    Okay i am glad you are happy with it. How about some screen grabs of the combined EPG and its functionality or a little video clip of it working showing channel change epg etc. Would you do that ?

will do when i have played with it more,still learning as its my first linux box,was looking at triax sh hd537 as second box but with all the issues,think i cancel that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

will do when i have played with it more,still learning as its my first linux box,was looking at triax sh hd537 as second box but with all the issues,think i cancel that idea

How are you getting on with the Qbox. Ordered 1 last week but have to wait as there out of stock any Pictures of the Epg

razor_ryan wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the Qbox. Ordered 1 last week but have to wait as there out of stock any Pictures of the Epg

haven't got a chance,will during week ,you can use multi epg or single or graphic epg ,theres more too thsi box than i though,have browser working on it how with net, YouTube player also works good,theres few other addons and plugins i waiting on ,will take some pictures maybe tomorrow and post up on link
    quality of picture like rte etc is so crisp and sharp ,hard too believe and sound good too

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

IN the market for buying a box considering moving from my original idea of a HUMAX 320Gb freesat box to one of these.

So to get this up an running fully I would need the following ?

1 QBox Mini
    2 Pen Drives (1 for op sys and one for updates)
    1 usb HDD for PVR recording
    1 extra DVB-T tuner
    1 Wi-Fi card

Some questions
    does it get the EPG from the web i.e. my router is some distance from where the box would be necessitating a wi-fi card.
    Would any USB Wi-fi dongle do ?

KelticKnight was the add on turner in sat-shop complient with irish DTT ie mpeg 4 as they don't give any specs for this? Don't see them selling a wi-fi card either ?

bifl wrote: »
    IN the market for buying a box considering moving from my original idea of a HUMAX 320Gb freesat box to one of these.

So to get this up an running fully I would need the following ?

1 QBox Mini
    2 Pen Drives (1 for op sys and one for updates)
    1 usb HDD for PVR recording
    1 extra DVB-T tuner
    1 Wi-Fi card

Some questions
    does it get the EPG from the web i.e. my router is some distance from where the box would be necessitating a wi-fi card.
    Would any USB Wi-fi dongle do ?

KelticKnight was the add on turner in sat-shop complient with irish DTT ie mpeg 4 as they don't give any specs for this? Don't see them selling a wi-fi card either ?
    the epg downloaded from sat,there epg simple,theres epg mulit and a single epg

sat-shop is usb wifi which they sell,i dont have at moment so cant give you spec,but theres a spec list of usb dongles that shows what works,sat-shop are selling a usb wifi dongle that vu-duo and dream use,im using at moment a cat 5 cable from router,,
    the dvb-t tuner that gets irish ddt is great,picture and sound is very good,way better than i hoped for,easy too setup and use

the epg downloaded from sat,there epg simple,theres epg mulit and a single epg

sat-shop is usb wifi which they sell,i dont have at moment so cant give you spec,but theres a spec list of usb dongles that shows what works,sat-shop are selling a usb wifi dongle that vu-duo and dream use,im using at moment a cat 5 cable from router,,
    the dvb-t tuner that gets irish ddt is great,picture and sound is very good,way better than i hoped for,easy too setup and use

So if I can get the EPG directly from the tuners themselves (sat and dtt) then to have a working PVR with 7 day EPG I don't really need wi-fi (have PS3 for streaming from PC) as firmware updates are done through pen drive anyway.

The DTT tuner you got I presume has an connector to hook up to a proper aerial. I would worry about my ability to get a digital signal otherwise.

• Advertisement

bifl wrote: »
    So if I can get the EPG directly from the tuners themselves (sat and dtt) then to have a working PVR with 7 day EPG I don't really need wi-fi (have PS3 for streaming from PC) as firmware updates are done through pen drive anyway.

The DTT tuner you got I presume has an connector to hook up to a proper aerial. I would worry about my ability to get a digital signal otherwise.

any updates are done with usb stick,wifi or interent if you want too stream media or use builtin web broser,i use 500 gb hard drive for recorded media like movies and shows,have 400 g for pvr recording,all works very good
    the dvb-t tuner has a in and out for Aerial as you see on any ddt/sat combo setup ,as far as signal in digital,its perfect,couldnt be better,sharp,crisp,good quality picture and sound,can also view hd freesat channels

any updates are done with usb stick,wifi or interent if you want too stream media or use builtin web broser,i use 500 gb hard drive for recorded media like movies and shows,have 400 g for pvr recording,all works very good
    the dvb-t tuner has a in and out for Aerial as you see on any ddt/sat combo setup ,as far as signal in digital,its perfect,couldnt be better,sharp,crisp,good quality picture and sound,can also view hd freesat channels

I'm begining to get sold on this box !!!! To be fair the Humax does Freesat the best with series link etc but this seems to do a good job or integrating DVB-S and DVB-T. Good bang for the buck I don't think I could justify the extra cost of the Vu+Duo for the sake of an extra tuner.

for the price,i bought it and the features,its my first linux box and also open source too,there maybe other boxes out during the year but wanted a box too receive irish ddt and freesat with pvr,i looked at every box out there ,was also looking at triax 537 combo but as shown on another thread,it has alot of problems so thats out,even doe a learning curve for me,im very happy with box and future proof

Buy a set of homeplugs for connecting the box to your router if its far away. I find those wifi dongles are very unreliable.

You could pick up a pair of homeplugs for 45euro shipped. I got them on 7dayshop.com

Buy a set of homeplugs for connecting the box to your router if its far away. I find those wifi dongles are very unreliable.

You could pick up a pair of homeplugs for 45euro shipped. I got them on 7dayshop.com

what you mean homeplugs,you mean the one you plug into electric socket and same at other end at router

what you mean homeplugs,you mean the one you plug into electric socket and same at other end at router
    Yup!

Yup!

cheers ,never thought of that,i see how much they cost,i think you can get in maplins or argos

cheers ,never thought of that,i see how much they cost,i think you can get in maplins or argos
    Maplin will rob ya, you'll be looking at around 80/90euro for their cheapest option where you could get a pair on 7dayshop for half that.

Maplin will rob ya, you'll be looking at around 80/90euro for their cheapest option where you could get a pair on 7dayshop for half that.

maybe ebay or amazon might be cheaper,i saw on argos,99 euros :eek:

• Advertisement

just checked amazon,can get a set for 48 euros delivered,abit better than argos

Advertisement