Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

Hi guys,

I noticed there on the last page of the thread some people were asking about wifi dongles and also using homeplugs. I have a solution for you guys which some of you might benefit from if all you're looking to do is install updates (or similar tasks)

You can share your laptops wifi connection over ethernet. It's straighforward, reliable and will get you out of a hole.

For windows
    1) Open control panel
    2) Enter Network and Sharing Center
    3) From the left task menu select Change adapter settings
    4) Right click on the wifi connection and choose properties
    5) Select the Sharing tab
    6) (This is where I have to rely on my source as I can only run windows virtually) Tick the two boxes. Then select the settings button. And tick and confirm every option on this list.
    7) OK out of every preference pane to apply the changes.

For Mac
    1) Enter the system preferences pane.
    2) Select sharing under internet and wireless
    3) Highlight the Internet sharing option in the menu on the left.
    4) Enable the radio button next to it
    5) Set it to "Share your connection from AirPort" "To computers using Ethernet."
    6) Exit system preferences and connect your set top box via ethernet.

It's an intuitive enough process but there it is in black and white. Don't forget to revert the changes once you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

I suppose the only downside to this box is that if it is your only source to the TV then potentially when you are recording something you are then locked out of the box as you cannot watch another program (that you really really want to watch ) on a different MUX.

Just chancing my arm here, but I was considering getting a single DVB-S and DVB-T turner to merger both sat and terrestrial. Would it be possible to buy instead it config'd with 2xDVB-S tuners and then install a USB DVB-T turner off one of the available USB ports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

maybe eventually they will support dual tuner USB sticks, needed when 2nd Mux starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

bifl wrote: »
    I suppose the only downside to this box is that if it is your only source to the TV then potentially when you are recording something you are then locked out of the box as you cannot watch another program (that you really really want to watch ) on a different MUX.

Just chancing my arm here, but I was considering getting a single DVB-S and DVB-T turner to merger both sat and terrestrial. Would it be possible to buy instead it config'd with 2xDVB-S tuners and then install a USB DVB-T turner off one of the available USB ports ?

who said you cant watch a program while recording other programs.of course you can

Not later when there are 2 x DTT mux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

When the second mux starts on dtt you will only be able to watch on same mux as recording.
    At the moment its ok because only one mux.
    Also there is no problem recording dtt and watching sat or vice versa.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    When the second mux starts on dtt you will only be able to watch on same mux as recording.
    At the moment its ok because only one mux.
    Also there is no problem recording dtt and watching sat or vice versa.

i can record sat while watching irisg ddt,will try tonight too record 2 channels on sat while watching ddt,and let you know

I read it earlier on this thread or saw it on a user video.

I take it that recording on DDT at the moment is not a problem (as said above) so when I am recording on one Mux I can watch channels on that same Mux. Currently all DTT transmissions are on the same Mux at the moment so as present it is not an issue.

Satellite use a number of different Mux so in theory the restriction I am talking about is that if I am recording BBC1 on Mux A then I am locked out of watching say ITV which is on Mux B which would be greyed out on the EPG.

I'd be interested to have this confirmed or denied as I say it's the only limitation with the system if true

They was round I was hoping for was to buy one with two DVB-S tuners and then use a USB DVB-T for which only one is needed at the moment to get all the Irish channels.

I read it earlier on this thread or saw it on a user video.

I take it that recording on DDT at the moment is not a problem (as said above) so when I am recording on one Mux I can watch channels on that same Mux. Currently all DTT transmissions are on the same Mux at the moment so as present it is not an issue.

Satellite use a number of different Mux so in theory the restriction I am talking about is that if I am recording BBC1 on Mux A then I am locked out of watching say ITV which is on Mux B which would be greyed out on the EPG.

I'd be interested to have this confirmed or denied as I say it's the only limitation with the system if true

They was round I was hoping for was to buy one with two DVB-S tuners and then use a USB DVB-T for which only one is needed at the moment to get all the Irish channels.
    i so far have being able too record a sat while watch either ddt or sat channel and other way around,what i want too check is can i record 2 channels while watching another channel

I know you wont be able to record two sat channels at same time unless there on same transponder which is very limited.
    I think the question is can you record DTT and sat at same time?
    Maybe when saorsat starts you could change the DTT tuner for dvb-s2 and then you would have a proper twin tuner pvr.

I have Vu+ duo and can record two sat channels from different transponders and from DTT all at same time.

• Advertisement

I know you wont be able to record two sat channels at same time unless there on same transponder which is very limited.
    I think the question is can you record DTT and sat at same time?
    Maybe when saorsat starts you could change the DTT tuner for dvb-s2 and then you would have a proper twin tuner pvr.

I have Vu+ duo and can record two sat channels from different transponders and from DTT all at same time.

i dont think you can get irish ddt without dvb-t tuner,correct me if im wrong

I didnt say anything like that?

Just to point out I do have usb dvb-t stick in Vu+ duo, maybe thats what you mean?

I didnt say anything like that?

Just to point out I do have usb dvb-t stick in Vu+ duo, maybe thats what you mean?

for the price the qbox was good deal,yes the vu-duo better but cost twice as much,maybe after soarview gets sorted this year,there be more combo options,triax has it share of problems at moment,for me the linux offered other features you wouldnt get with a triax combo
    is a learning curve but good at the same time,lie that you can have addons and plugins etc,anything i recorded so far has being very good from picture quality too sound,so we see
    i check dual recording later or tomorrow when i get a chance,will try different ways so i know

I would agree about "official" combos becoming available. These all have single tuner dtt which will only be much use until second mux starts.
    I know mheg5 not supported on Vu+ duo, qbox etc but my tv can cope with that.

be nice if we had a tv that could but then theres the problem of recording,you ever looked at spiderbox,i was asked by the retailer who sold me the qbox was big seller in uk and t tuner too,any thoughts

Dont know anything about spiderbox.

not reallyas i didnt look at it,so dont know much about it,if the spiderbox suited over here,i would have thought we hear more about ti

i check dual recording later or tomorrow when i get a chance,will try different ways so i know

How did you get on , did you get a chance to try it ?

Ultimatly the query I have is that in a box with 1 DVB-T and 1 DVB-T tuner when you are recording from satellite are you still able to choose to watch any of the 100 say satellite channels available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

Ultimatly the query I have is that in a box with 1 DVB-T and 1 DVB-T tuner when you are recording from satellite are you still able to choose to watch any of the 100 say satellite channels available ?

No, that's physically impossible. With 1 DVB-T and 1-DVB-S tuner, when recording from satellite, you are limited to the remaining satellites on the same mux (plus the DVB-T channels). The other sat channels are greyed out.

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

Apogee wrote: »
    No, that's physically impossible. With 1 DVB-T and 1-DVB-S tuner, when recording from satellite, you are limited to the remaining satellites on the same mux (plus the DVB-T channels). The other sat channels are greyed out.

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

apogee
    did you get too use the multi epg or graphic epg like you see with sky,i got it going but the screen shot of the single epg you show i use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

apogee
    did you get too use the multi epg or graphic epg like you see with sky,i got it going but the screen shot of the single epg you show i use

I have the 'Graphical Multi EPG' assigned to the green button, but layout isn't great, too little channels listed at one time and the font is too small. So mostly tend to use the single EPG as in above pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

Is it easy to install a tuner yourself? Like is it a simple plug and play job, no messing with settings or firmware etc?

Thinking of buying one of these and don't really wanna pay someone £25 to fit it.

Is it easy to install a tuner yourself? Like is it a simple plug and play job, no messing with settings or firmware etc?

Thinking of buying one of these and don't really wanna pay someone £25 to fit it.

its plug and play,takes 2 mins too install,easy thing too do

its easy thing too do too install,takes 2 mins

Apogee wrote: »
    I have the 'Graphical Multi EPG' assigned to the green button, but layout isn't great, too little channels listed at one time and the font is too small. So mostly tend to use the single EPG as in above pic.

i use single epg myself,find it easiest of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi. Looking at buying a combo box. Can you guys that own one of these Qbox's tell me why you went wth this box over the others that are currently on sale or slated for sale shortly. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet now or wait and see what comes up when soarview launches in April.What I mean is will there be more changes to the services from Rte or Freeview in the next few years that will make this box obsolete. Don't want to spend a lot of money on a box that will be useless if/when Rte or Freeview change their broadcasts.Guess what I'm saying is will this box be future proof for our Irish/UK viewing needs?

Can I distribute the signal from the box to more than one tv?

Is Mpeg5 teletext working on this box (I have no digi tuner on my TV)?

Does the BBC red interactive service work on this box?

Any other boxes in the pipeline that I should be aware off?

Thanks in advance for your info and sorry if I posted any stupid questions!

MHEG5, not MPEG5: No it doesn't
    BBC Interactive has two levels:
    1) Basic Text works on MHEG5 receivers (This is NOT an MHEG5 box).
    2) Full video Interactive only currently on actual Branded/Licensed "Freesat" or "Freesat HD" boxes for satellite or actual Branded/Licensed "Freeview" or "Freeview HD" boxes for UK terrestrial.

watty answered most of questions for you,
    you ask if any more better boxes coming, probably ,think triax is first of these but at moment you see on another thread,it has its problems
    another question you asked,about future proof
    dont think at moment there is such a box but that being said any linux box will do the job good even doe wont have the soarview cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks Guys for the replies. I understand Kelticknight what you are saying about the soarview cert, but am I right in thinking that we will not get any combo box that is soarview and freewiew/freesat approved,so we always have to take some risk when looking at combo boxes?

I guess my main question is, have rte or bbc/uk plans to change to newer broadcasting systems that would make this qbox useless in the next few years.I guess rte are unlikely to change having just launched the damn thing. But I think I did read somewhere that bbc/uk are changing from DVD-S to something new,is that correct and would that make these current boxes useless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Has anyone actually gotten one of these for 199 Euro as stated in the topic title?

Advertisement