Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QBOX HD Mini COMBO LINUX BOX - 199 EURO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Alibaba is simply an Asian/Far East Trade Directory. Nothing to do with "clones" particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i see this box isnt that easy too get too buy,mostly outside of ireland
    except the link STB and one or two place on ebay which where over 214 euros

by the way,has anyone got one of these boxes yet

i got a price from a supplier in uk got a 264 euros with dvb-t included and 25 euros for delivery so could say 239 for qbox with dvb-t included

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Duolabs support is notoriously bad .
    If their previous products are anything to go by its not worth buying this receiver.
    They promise the sun moon and stars and deliver very little,and the end user spends most of his time tearing his hair out,its just not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

what would you recommend as you seem too know more than me,im looking for a combo box for sat and irish ddt ,be able too record too,dont want too pay mad money,200 too 250 euros max,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Zardoz wrote: »
    Duolabs support is notoriously bad .
    If their previous products are anything to go by its not worth buying this receiver.
    They promise the sun moon and stars and deliver very little,and the end user spends most of his time tearing his hair out,its just not worth the hassle.

Its worth bearing in mind now that the firmware for the QboxHD and QboxHD mini have now ben released as open source so expect support to increase with better firmware .. support may increase because of this

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Its worth bearing in mind now that the firmware for the QboxHD and QboxHD mini have now ben released as open source so expect support to increase with better firmware .. support may increase because of this

do you have one ?

Just awaiting delivery of it.

But then again i have a few sat boxes but want a bit of a challenge, i'm used to compiling images for other boxes so wanted to have some fun with this one

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Just awaiting delivery of it.

But then again i have a few sat boxes but want a bit of a challenge, i'm used to compiling images for other boxes so wanted to have some fun with this one

how much did you get for and from where,i got a total of 265 euro with dvb-t tuner and delivery ,did you do better

• Advertisement

About the same price, we probably looked at the same place over in the UK

Was 3 place i saw,2 in ukand one in italy,think i will get this next week myself,did you orde a dvb-t tuner with it ,or willyou getfrom different source

I got it from the uk with an additional dvb-t tuner, teh tuners apparently will arrive end of next wek

Same as me so,end of week for tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

What site did ye get it from lads, I'm looking at this as an option myself.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

It is still too dear it should be €220 max plus shipping. I wonder if Tony would be interested in distribution ? I'll ask.

I have seen discussion obver on vu+duo. It should be fairly easy to port over the freesat ota epg. Lets hope some of VIX lads get interested.

STB wrote: »
    It is still too dear it should be €220 max plus shipping. I wonder if Tony would be interested in distribution ? I'll ask.

I have seen discussion obver on vu+duo. It should be fairly easy to port over the freesat ota epg. Lets hope some of VIX lads get interested.

its 179 pounds for receiver,getting dvb-t tuner and so total in sterling pound was £220 which was 244 euros ,not too bad considering

tony has nice shop so added qbox hdmini be good but i can tell you antony from sat shop is very helpful and fast replys too and questions etc ,would recommend too
    on same note,i can see that tony is very helpful too forum members here,will alot of good help comming from him,if i wasnt getting the qbox,would have dealt with tony

my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

its 179 pounds for receiver,getting dvb-t tuner and so total in sterling pound was £220 which was 244 euros ,not too bad considering

£220 is around 265 euro not 244 .

£220 is around 265 euro not 244 .
    let me correct,meant delivered without delivery is 244,with delivery is 265 euros plus getting wifi adapter too the 244 euros is without tune as not in stock yet,have next week :-):-)
    good support and price from what i seen so far,not many selling these qbox hd mini yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Looks a good box might be interested myself.

Had a look around and the cheapest I've found so far is this site based in Italy. The receiver is €209, additional tuner €29 and delivery €12 - total €250.

http://www.sat-zone.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_40&products_id=132&language=en

These may be silly questions, but if so hopefully they're easy to answer!

I notice in the video that it has 4 coax inputs to the two tuners, does this mean that you can watch one channel, record another, no matter if its satellite or DTT (assuming one satellite tuner one DTT)?

I know sweet FA about Linux, so is any expertise (beyond copying instructions from a forum post) required to get a 7 day channel guide working on this thing?

Any other English language forums where people are discussing this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

edanto wrote: »
    These may be silly questions, but if so hopefully they're easy to answer!

I notice in the video that it has 4 coax inputs to the two tuners, does this mean that you can watch one channel, record another, no matter if its satellite or DTT (assuming one satellite tuner one DTT)?

You have 4 points because each tuner has an input and an exit (or loop-through). So in the case of a DTT tuner, you can feed the aerial into the QBox and then loop through to your MPEG4 TV for example.

With the current firmware, you can record DTT and watch satellite or vice versa. Apparently, they have also fixed it so you can record two channels on the same mux, though I've yet to test that.
    I know sweet FA about Linux, so is any expertise (beyond copying instructions from a forum post) required to get a 7 day channel guide working on this thing?

You'll need to install the 'CrossEPG' plugin. This can pull data directly from the the Sky EPG data transponder or it can download the EPG from over the net. I find the second approach works best for me with the QBoxHD, though it'll depend on whether you have ethernet/wifi nearby.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352281&page=3
    Any other English language forums where people are discussing this box?

Sat-universe is the best imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I realise the digital tuner add-on for the 'terrestrial' channels probably hasn't been tested here yet, but can anyone tell me what "channel surfing" on one of these is/will-be like (assuming a good, but realistic epg -I know other frontends might come later).

I mean, do you/ will you have to manually switch between "satellite" and "terrestrial" before viewing those channels, or will it be possible to have them all on one 'group' -without a delay in auto-switching between one system and another. ?

Also, if this is set up to use, say the Sky EPG... I assume there's nothing to say that Sky won't block this off at some later date. ?

Apogee wrote: »

With the current firmware, you can record DTT and watch satellite or vice versa. Apparently, they have also fixed it so you can record two channels on the same mux, though I've yet to test that.

Pardon my noobishness, but is a mux a tuner? It's just the the ability to watch one channel and record another is a key feature for me so I'm trying to understand exactly what this box offers. I'll ask on that other forum you recommended.

It doesnt seem like anyone here has one of these yet, but it would be great to hear the answer to the channel surfing experience question in Gunther_Gloops post.

more info on this forum and the sponsors sell the units
    you be able too record 2 channels and watch another,has other new features too,can view recorded items ,has 3 usbs ,one default for firmware,can do wireless with adon,has built in browser,will have one next week setup.let you know how it goes:D
    will post some pictures etc,you can see it on youtube too with users

Did you mean to link to this forum? http://www.sat-universe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393

If it was a different one maybe you could stick up the link.

Someone kindly sent me an explanation of what a mux is -

A mux is the actual radio channel that is used to transmit DTT signals. Each mux can contain several TV stations, radio stations and other information. At the moment RTÉ uses 1 mux for all it's TV and Radio. In UK they need 6 muxes to cover the 70 odd TV, and radio channels they have.
    In some cases a box can watch one TV station and record another IF they are on the same mux. In other words the actual tuner is only "listening" to one signal and splitting the two bits of info from it.

So, from what apogee was saying above, my current understanding is that the Qbox with the latest firmware can do the watch one channel record another channel if the channels are on the same mux (or group). Does the mux concept apply to both DTT and Satelitte channels?

If I were to buy the Qbox with 2 Satellite tuners and a DTT, then I'd be able to watch any channel and record any other - now to contact the supplier and see if they have them with 3 tuners, I came across some posts saying they do and some saying they don't!

Pardon my noobishness, but is a mux a tuner?

A mux is a group of channels. For DTT, a mux is a single frequency. On sat, a mux is a specific frequency on a specific polarisation. A mux/transponder will typically have 5/6 SD channels or 2/3 HD channels.

All of the DTT channels are on the one mux, so you could record RTÉ 1 and 2 and watch TV3.

This is what the output from QBoxHD looks like - expect similar form mini.

When you scan DTT and a satellite, they are listed separately. I have Saorview on DVB-T and 28E and 26E via Diseqc on DVB-S2.

q1.jpg

You can then integrate the channels and pick which ones you want to add to the Favourites with a seamless EPG listing.

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

Recording in operation, recording RTÉ One from DTT and BBC One HD from sat.
    q4.jpg

Note that when recording from sat with one tuner, other channels not on the same mux are greyed out (i.e. you need 2x tuners for full sat recording).
    q5.jpg

Apogee wrote: »
    A mux is a group of channels. For DTT, a mux is a single frequency. On sat, a mux is a specific frequency on a specific polarisation. A mux/transponder will typically have 5/6 SD channels or 2/3 HD channels.

All of the DTT channels are on the one mux, so you could record RTÉ 1 and 2 and watch TV3.

This is what the output from QBoxHD looks like - expect similar form mini.

When you scan DTT and a satellite, they are listed separately. I have Saorview on DVB-T and 28E and 26E via Diseqc on DVB-S2.

q1.jpg

You can then integrate the channels and pick which ones you want to add to the Favourites with a seamless EPG listing.

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

Recording in operation, recording RTÉ One from DTT and BBC One HD from sat.
    q4.jpg

Note that when recording from sat with one tuner, other channels not on the same mux are greyed out (i.e. you need 2x tuners for full sat recording).
    q5.jpg
    looks good

• Advertisement

If I were to buy the Qbox with 2 Satellite tuners and a DTT, then I'd be able to watch any channel and record any other - now to contact the supplier and see if they have them with 3 tuners, I came across some posts saying they do and some saying they don't!

For 3 tuners you need the QBoxHD, not QBox Mini. If you are after 2x sat tuners and 1x DTT setup, then you should seriously consider getting a Vu+ Duo (2x sat) instead and attach a USB DVB-T tuner.

I own both QBoxHD and Vu+ Duo and the Vu+ Duo is far, far superior in terms of hardware, physical build quality and firmware. I would have zero hesitation in recommending the Vu+ over the QBoxHD any day of the week.

Advertisement