Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ziedth wrote: »
    What is supposed to be going in there again? Last i remember was some live music venue. when they open that will be how many late bar options in the city? 11 or 12?
    Harveys
    Kazbar
    The Forum
    Masons
    Shorrts
    Crystal
    The Foundry
    The Woodman
    Revolutions
    Mojo Lounge
    Muldoons (when open)

Is that all of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Harveys
    Kazbar
    The Forum
    Masons
    Shorrts
    Crystal
    The Foundry
    The Woodman
    Revolutions
    Mojo Lounge
    Muldoons (when open)

Is that all of them?

Front Lounge

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Front Lounge
    Ah crap! Don't know how I forgot that one.

I left out Dignity as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

They now have sinnotts and bling too. Was told today, since Kavanaghs went bust dinn ri crowd bought those two shops from the bank for a pittance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

So 13 open? That seems like allot to me. i can see prices of drink going fairly low again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ledger wrote: »
    They now have sinnotts and bling too. Was told today, since Kavanaghs went bust dinn ri crowd bought those two shops from the bank for a pittance.

Excellent, will really clean up the area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Shortt's Bar and Crystal Nightclub are up for sale at the Alsop Space distressed property auction in May. They're looking for €495,000 for it. There is a least with another three years left on it worth €240,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think I'm right in saying if you took the old stand property...served good food and drink...had plenty of screens...good entertainment at the weekend...you'd clean up.

People didn't know what they had til it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I loved the Old Stand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I think I'm right in saying if you took the old stand property...served good food and drink...had plenty of screens...good entertainment at the weekend...you'd clean up.

Isnt it now split into 2 seperate buildings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Building is in terrible shape. Trees growing in it like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

There used to be a restaurant upstairs and it was quite good as well.

Didn't The Stand close down during the boom years?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

IIRC the old stand got done up and became the stand and it never really got as popular as it was. i can't remember how long it lasted but it has been closed for quite a while so it can't really have been that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Yes, Eamon Reid owned it, it was a nice place. Then not long before it closed they renovated it again - I didn't think it was as nice, too modern.

But not long after that it closed, which surprised me. I wonde who owns it now and why it never e-opened.

Another nightspot that wasn't bad, but didn't last long was The Bank, on the corner of Gladstone St and O'Connell Street.

They spent a fortune building that, but it closed after only a couple of years I think, and has remained so.

A.

I loved the Old Stand :(

I used to love Ned Kelly's myself. I think it's the Exchange now??? Wonder how that's doing, not much of a drinker these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I used to love Ned Kelly's myself. I think it's the Exchange now??? Wonder how that's doing, not much of a drinker these days.

Changed back to Ned Kelly's and then back to the exchange. Does ok AFAIK

Nypd wrote: »
    Changed back to Ned Kelly's and then back to the exchange. Does ok AFAIK

Does fairly well given the way the thing has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The Old Stand was great until they decided to close it for months and revamp it. It lost all that was special about it, including the clientele. Pity.

I see Masons have gone over 21s, unusual move, basically chucking the last of their crowd out

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

You just be joking right ??? What are they playing at in fairness I have not been in there since I see a few unpleasent people fighting inside " lets just say not your normal customers who you want to be next to drink"

Does it be busy in there like it used to be, my waterford nightlife days are few and fair between

• Advertisement

I'd say Masons is nearly the busiest spot in town give or take but like Nypd just said if they enforce the over 21 rule then i'd say at least half of their regulars would be over in the foundry. It's been a while since i was in masons on a Saturday but i assume the scummy element is still in there.

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd say Masons is nearly the busiest spot in town give or take but like Nypd just said if they enforce the over 21 rule then i'd say at least half of their regulars would be over in the foundry. It's been a while since i was in masons on a Saturday but i assume the scummy element is still in there.

I wouldn't say it's the busiest anymore man,
    Shortts/Kazbar and the foundry are doing the numbers atm.
    Masons recent stint on a certain wedding program has not done them any good,
    Ludicrous PR by them.

Looks like they are trying to reverse everything they are doing, going over 21s, cocktails, local bands.
    It recycles punters now instead of holding them.
    Big difference atm, is the scumbags are older now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

hardybuck wrote: »
    Shortt's Bar and Crystal Nightclub are up for sale at the Alsop Space distressed property auction in May. They're looking for €495,000 for it. There is a least with another three years left on it worth €240,000.

Bank of Ireland probably saw the plan's for Muldoon's corner and want to unload this place before it's too late.

Ludicrous PR by them.

Looks like they are trying to reverse everything they are doing, going over 21s, cocktails, local bands.

Interesting. Like i said it's been yonks since i was in there at a weekend but i just assumed they were still pulling in the crowds.

It's a strange direction to take as Harvey's have that mid 20's crowd and i'd assume Muldoons will be going after them too.

Bank of Ireland probably saw the plan's for Muldoon's corner and want to unload this place before it's too late.
    Are the plans for it still to make it into a live music venue, or was that just a rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would the people that run/own the fourm not think the Muldoons building would suite the fourm ??? ie move operations from the glen to Johns Street.

Ludicrous PR by them.

How can they have an over 21s rule, couldn't they be done for age discrimination?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    How can they have an over 21s rule, couldn't they be done for age discrimination?

Owners reserve the right to refuse admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Was in Masons a couple of weeks ago. Don't like the way the band which were decent get over played by the dance music upstairs. Normally just stay up in the Tap Room nowadays on the Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Odats wrote: »
    Was in Masons a couple of weeks ago. Don't like the way the band which were decent get over played by the dance music upstairs. Normally just stay up in the Tap Room nowadays on the Hill.
    That shouldn't be too much of a problem any more as most bands should hopefully be going through the house PA.

Although I've a soft spot for the Tap Room myself so I don't blame ya. Not that I get out much any more. :(

Advertisement