Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging if you exceed your download allowance?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Just after reading the Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb? thread when I notice the following:

*My empahisis.

Whoa, when did this happen? Or when is it due to come into effect? I'm surprised it's not bigger news.

Also have eircom now added upload to your download cap? i.e. if your cap is 30 GB does that include your download and upload stats?

I use to work for eircom until recently and they actually have to tell you that, as the Communications Regulator is constantly in Eircom offices advising the agents taht there is repercussions against them if they don't mention it and also it has it on your call plan package "Bundle plan" basically think of it this way the higher up the bb speed the higher the gig allowance unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

davo22 wrote: »
    Hi Jonski,

quick question:

have you been charged for 8GB , how much is your excess ? less than 8 or more than 8 GB ?

I am wondering if they are charging for 1 GB more as soon as u got over even by 1KB.

Are you going to NTL ?

Combined usage for September was 39870 MB (38.936 GB) , which is what I am assuming I am being charged for as I wasn't on NGB in August .

UPC is just around the corner from me so I was going to check them out , Already have my TV from them .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

i have been billed big time by eircom for going over by 2 gigs,8gigs ,and 7 gigs during different months, this month is over too...

it was 16euro for 10gigs for them months... that 48euro extra on my bills.

reality is this, im getting Wimax during the week, tell eircom to stick it. They have robbed my as far as Im concerned. wont be going back to them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Johnstan

phonchoman wrote: »
    i have been billed big time by eircom for going over by 2 gigs,8gigs ,and 7 gigs during different months, this month is over too...

reality is this, im getting Wimax during the week, tell eircom to stick it. They have robbed my as far as Im concerned. wont be going back to them either.

Woah woah, were you charged for the months where you didn't have NGB after you got NGB? Or are these the charges after the NGB roll in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

They charge €2 per GB over your limit up to a max of €50.

Hi,

Just a slight clarification on this. The €50 is including your BB rental so the excess usage cap is €24 on NGB Basic and €20 on NGB Regular

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

davo22 wrote: »
    Hi Jonski,

quick question:

have you been charged for 8GB , how much is your excess ? less than 8 or more than 8 GB ?

I am wondering if they are charging for 1 GB more as soon as u got over even by 1KB.

Are you going to NTL ?

Hi dave,

You have to use the full GB before you're charged for it .... effectively, it's rounded down to the nearest GB.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

phonchoman wrote: »

eh why wimax?it has a 30GB limit and if you go over it they screw you over worse than eircom also imagine wimax sucks if there is alot of users of the service in your area it can get very slow.look for other options other than imagine wimax

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emh

I recently received an Eircom bill and was charged for going over 30GB limit. I was particulraly surprised at the upload figures.
    When I checked my usage stats on the Eircom site, I could see that my download:upload ratio has changed from approx 6:1 in August to approx 1:1 in September, October and November. There has been no change in usage at this end, to account for such a significant difference in usage stats. The only change was the switch to NGB in mid-September.
    I looked for an explanation of the metering and I have yet to receive detailled information on how usage is metered, despite being charged for excess usage.
    It's pretty poor customer service from Eircom if customers are expected to pay for something without a full explanation of what it's based on. I cancelled my Eircom account last week.
    I am curious to know has anyone else seen a similar change in their download:upload ratio without changing their usage pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

when you were moved to the NGB depending on what package you were on your upload speed could have increased from 128kbps to 512kbps that could explain the upload difference without anything changing on your end

the usage metering is based on the bytes sent and received by your modem

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emh

Baneblade wrote: »
    when you were moved to the NGB depending on what package you were on your upload speed could have increased from 128kbps to 512kbps that could explain the upload difference without anything changing on your end

the usage metering is based on the bytes sent and received by your modem

Thanks, but I thought the charges are for actual usage, not just for faster speeds. The Eircom agent I spoke to when I cancelled the account, suggested I was using more because of the faster speeds but my download usage is much the same, the upload usage has changed significantly, hence the change in ratio and overall increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

emh wrote: »
    Thanks, but I thought the charges are for actual usage, not just for faster speeds. The Eircom agent I spoke to when I cancelled the account, suggested I was using more because of the faster speeds but my download usage is much the same, the upload usage has changed significantly, hence the change in ratio and overall increase.
    Previously the upload wasn't counted at all - just the download.
    Now both the upload and download count towards your cap.
    Some online TV services act as P2P apps and can use up a significant amount of your bandwidth. Channel 4's DOD used to do this. I'm not sure if it does anymore.

what i was suggesting was that if previously your connection was maxing out the upload and then the upload speed was increased and you started to upload 4x-5x faster then before then that would also explain the jump you saw on the stats page

as mentioned some programs can upload more then they download torrents/p2p/skype that might also explain why the download stats remain the same

its not the only explaination but it does fit with what you have described

what i was suggesting was that if previously your connection was maxing out the upload and then the upload speed was increased and you started to upload 4x-5x faster then before then that would also explain the jump you saw on the stats page

as mentioned some programs can upload more then they download torrents/p2p/skype that might also explain why the download stats remain the same

its not the only explaination but it does fit with what you have described

Nope, shouldn't be...
    You could have a 3mb upload speed and you shouldn't see an increase the amount you upload if your usage is the same.
    You'd upload faster, sure, but not any more than before.

Say you visit a website, which means upload 15kb. You'd upload it faster, but not any more than the 15kb.

I think he's just getting ripped off like the rest of us by eircom. Like many here I'm stuck with them due to no other alternatives :(

thats ture only for one time transactions

in the case of a torrent or p2p program you download one copy of a file but upload x number of partial/full copies of the file so if you download a 4mb file it is possible that you could upload 50mb.

also skype uses p2p so if you have it open you could be uploading data even if your not using it

thats ture only for one time transactions

in the case of a torrent or p2p program you download one copy of a file but upload x number of partial/full copies of the file so if you download a 4mb file it is possible that you could upload 50mb.

also skype uses p2p so if you have it open you could be uploading data even if your not using it

Ah well in the case of p2p, then it's just down to monitoring the setup, limiting upload speeds and checking whats doing what etc.
    Personally, when I get NGB, i'm going to be very pissed off.

Advertisement