Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging if you exceed your download allowance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,985 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

folks iv just gone over my 30gb allowance, will eircom charge me extra and am i right in thinking that for every extra 1gb its 2 euro or somthing?

btw iv a 3mb broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Eircom just charged me 20 euro in download charges...

good thing i'm switching to UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

dermo1990 wrote: »
    Eircom just charged me 20 euro in download charges...

good thing i'm switching to UPC

Are you on NGB?

I noticed they have changed their download usage site to now show the actual download limit. I have a 50GB limit but the site only ever showed 40GB for some reason.

Anyway, has anyone NOT on NGB been charged yet for going over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

azzeretti wrote: »
    Are you on NGB?

I noticed they have changed their download usage site to now show the actual download limit. I have a 50GB limit but the site only ever showed 40GB for some reason.

Anyway, has anyone NOT on NGB been charged yet for going over the limit?

Yea, I'm on eircoms ngb.....was originally on a 1MB line, i'm barely getting 2MB with NGB and I'm only a few minutes walk from my exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

filo87 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this thread up again but would you by any chance have a link to this €10 per month offer for unlimited downloads? Can't find anything on the website.
    It's not an offer, it's just an upgrade, it's called NGB advanced http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/ngb/22/?view=Standard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shanefromcahir

Relax guys im a sales rep for eircom n i know for a fact eircom not only dont charge for going over your limits but they dont even have a system in place to meter how much people download!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Relax guys im a sales rep for eircom n i know for a fact eircom not only dont charge for going over your limits but they dont even have a system in place to meter how much people download!!

Hear that everyone? Fantastic news! Maybe ol' Shelly, I mean Shane will get one more lick of the brass ring after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I changed from Eircom to UPC, its an awful lot better. The data allowance is great, it means you can download high definition movies (8-15GB in size) without having to worry about costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Then why did they ring me a few days ago, telling me exactly how much I had downloaded, and how much I had downloaded in the last few months? And I was charged €20 for going 10GB over the limit, so you're talking complete crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Get rid of this troll ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I have the Eircom Business Lite 3Mb package, and I'm happy with that beacuse of the unforced download limit.

But I don't have the choice to change to UPC where I live, if I could I'd leave Eircom in flash.

Are people on Home broadband being forced to change to NGB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I was charged €10 for exceeding my cap. I would liked to get some warning. Thinking of transfering to UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Are people on Home broadband being forced to change to NGB?
    My understanding is that if you are in an NGB area then you will be "upgraded" to NGB whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Eircom would be wise to up their caps as follows if they want to keep any of the power user market with decent options to go elsewhere. Something like this : 30 GB (basic) 80 GB (standard) unlimited (advanced) and turn a blind eye to the fair usage, plus 1 euro for every extra GB with a limit of 10 euros. Much more fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

What kind of cap to Vodafone give you. I presume if you have Eircom you can easily switch to vodafone.

Edit:
    I just checked. €52 gets you 120GB up to 8Mb and anytime calls.
    Thats way better than Eircom. It Eircom charge for less than that im gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

FOR INFORMATION ONLY

Vodafone offer 40GB as standard for entry level (€40 or €45 package), 120GB at mid level (€48 or €52 package) and 300GB at top level (€62 or €67 package).

You can also add an optional 30GB extra to any package for €3.99 per month or add 150GB to the mid or top level package for €5.99 per month.

Out of this, usage is charged at €1 per GB.

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/

Mods - if you feel this is inappropriate in ANY way feel free to edit or delete.

VF has it's own forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

I just got a good result with Eircom.
    They actually did charge me 16.50 + Vat for going over my cap.
    I rang them and complained so I said I wanted to cancel the phone line and broadband that I was going to go to Vodafone just for the cap and it was cheaper anyway.
    So they gave me another number to ring to cancel. I explained the whole thing again and they said fine, I could cancel.
    Fast forward 2 weeks until today and they rang me. They are increasing my cap from 30GB to 100GB and it will not cost me anymore.

I guess they've started losing customers because of this.
    I might move to Vodafone anyway but im a bit scared of the reviews of vodafones service on here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I rang them and complained so I said I wanted to cancel the phone line and broadband that I was going to go to Vodafone just for the cap and it was cheaper anyway.
    So they gave me another number to ring to cancel. I explained the whole thing again and they said fine, I could cancel.
    Fast forward 2 weeks until today and they rang me. They are increasing my cap from 30GB to 100GB and it will not cost me anymore.

I might move to Vodafone anyway but im a bit scared of the reviews of vodafones service on here.

A word of advice - when dealing with these kind of offers it is always as well to ask them to confirm it in writing irrespective of who the isp is. I can hear it now "I am sorry Sir there is no record on our system of any such promise":rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    A word of advice - when dealing with these kind of offers it is always as well to ask them to confirm it in writing irrespective of who the isp is. I can hear it now "I am sorry Sir there is no record on our system of any such promise":rolleyes:

I asked them to send it in writing and I would withdraw the cancellation only when I received it.
    I also recorded the call :)

Ive read some more vodafone reviews and im not going to risk moving to them if thie new cap works out. So many bad experiences posted about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,985 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so you were on 3mb package I take it?

btw can you reply here or pm me that number you rang to get 100gb cap please

fair play on getting that deal anyway, would absolutely love that

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    so you were on 3mb package I take it?

btw can you reply here or pm me that number you rang to get 100gb cap please

fair play on getting that deal anyway, would absolutely love that

I was on 3Mb and I never asked to go to NGB either, but they started charging me for going over the cap anyway.

I just called the number on the bill for queries - 1901
    I complained and then said I wanted to cancel.
    They put me through to someone else and I said cancel the phone account altogether. And they let me.
    Couple of weeks later they phone me with the offer. I didnt even ask for it. I guess they knew after 2 weeks I was serious about cancelling

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think Eircom made a very serious miscalculation with the caps on the NGB.

The ironic thing about Eircom is that for years they claimed to have caps and yet offered virtually unlimited downloads (at least to judge by constand posts here) whereas of course the industry practise is the reverse i.e. one of the deceit and claims of unlimited but with real caps.

How they arrived at the new caps (and charging for going over) for the NGB products is totally mystifying to me. The must have anticipated lots of lost business with such a drastic change in policy?

I notice now they are also using "congestion" rather than "contentio" is this yet another sleight of hand to deceive?:rolleyes:

When will businness in Ireland realise that customers expect honestly upfront and not after a painful journey to realisation that you have been deceived?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Im on NGB Basic right now and the cap is 10GB (:eek:I know but its not MY house) so can I just fill out the form online to upgrade to this with unlimited cap? And thats €39 every month? Seems graaaand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

I have just been switched over to the NGB . I rarely if ever go over the 30G cap ... in downloads ... but when you factor in uploads aswell I go to between 30 and 34 gig a month .

This is with myself and 3 teenagers in the house facebook/bebo/msn/youtube and gaming , xbox and pc . There is no downloading of movies or music or TV series . There is some watching of machinima on youtube .

If I am charged for going over the cap then I will be going over to UPC .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Here at home we are on 10gb allowance, and today being the 9th, I am up to 9.8gb used.

If they end up charging me for this, I will most likely end up ringing them to complain and probably tell them I'm switching to Vodafone or o2 etc etc.

Have been an eircom customer for the last 2-3 years for broadband, and alot longer phone-wise, and this is the first time we've (me) gone over the limit, would be sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davo22

So prepare you application form for UPC :cool:. It seems that they are charging everyone now over the CAP [NGB].

Last month I got over 30GB [29GB dl +4up] and got charged. Was so surprised when I saw the charge then I read the conditions online and they are also accounting the upload...

On the short term Eircom is going to make money charging for excessive usage and probably someone is also going to switch package offer.

In the long run Eircom is going to lose customers [UPC similar prices and better conditions.].
    jonski wrote: »
    I have just been switched over to the NGB . I rarely if ever go over the 30G cap ... in downloads ... but when you factor in uploads aswell I go to between 30 and 34 gig a month .

This is with myself and 3 teenagers in the house facebook/bebo/msn/youtube and gaming , xbox and pc . There is no downloading of movies or music or TV series . There is some watching of machinima on youtube .

If I am charged for going over the cap then I will be going over to UPC .

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Just got charged 40€ for excess bandwith and im already 20GB over my limit this month. lol Goodbye Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Excess Usage −Phone Number xxx-xxxxxx September 10 8.00 GB 1.65 13.20

Time to cancel me thinks .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davo22

Hi Jonski,

quick question:

have you been charged for 8GB , how much is your excess ? less than 8 or more than 8 GB ?

I am wondering if they are charging for 1 GB more as soon as u got over even by 1KB.

Are you going to NTL ?

• Advertisement

They charge €2 per GB over your limit up to a max of €50.

Advertisement