Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging if you exceed your download allowance?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

oppiuy wrote: »
    There charging e2 per gig and rounded down so you have .9 g before your charged. also they are capping the usage charge if you exceed. So say your on the basic package and download like mad the max you'll pay is the price of the advanced package and it'll be capped at that. Mind you a sales rep will prob call and pester you to upgrade your package

Close but slightly off .... The most you'll be charged on the NGB 10GB or NGB 30GB package is €49.99 ... the NGB Advanced Package is €39.99.

Aye, I know what you mean mate, it really is a matter of wait and see.

Sad thing for me though, is my line can only support 3mb at most, I get speeds of 2.5mb on a 3mb line, so upgrading to an 8mb for unlimited download allowance isn't feasible to me.

It's a pity Eircom don't do an offer like say charge an extra €10 or €20 a month for unlimited download allowance and make it avaliable to any package. I'd gladly pay it, even for just peace of mind.

Not sure I'm picking you up right but just in case I am .... the NGB products are 'up to' which means you can buy them even if you can only get 3Mb (as you mention above). This means you could get the NGB Advanced package which has the unlimited allowance ... ir you're exchange has been upgraded!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Not sure I'm picking you up right but just in case I am .... the NGB products are 'up to' which means you can buy them even if you can only get 3Mb (as you mention above). This means you could get the NGB Advanced package which has the unlimited allowance ... ir you're exchange has been upgraded!!!

But the area I live in isn't marked down as getting NBG on the Eircom Coverage Map, unfortunately.

But the area I live in isn't marked down as getting NBG on the Eircom Coverage Map, unfortunately.

I see ... well fingers crossed eircom will increase the roll out detail soon. According to an agent I spoke to, there's an update due soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So when will they actually start charging for going over the download limit , is it when the ngb goes to your area or is it from right now?
    Should I be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

*Bump
    Can anyone answer my question above if ya can,
    When will they start charging for going over the download limit?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Pangea wrote: »
    *Bump
    Can anyone answer my question above if ya can,
    When will they start charging for going over the download limit?
    Thanks
    Have a read of this post -->> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65199959&postcount=186

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

I'm being migrated from the 7 Mb package to the NGB Advanced on the 17/04/2010.

When I spoke to eircom last night they said each of the packages are up to 8Mb, depending on line quality.

However today they said if I opt for the NGB Regular package not only will the download usage be capped (30Mb) but the download speed will be capped to 3Mb?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

I'm being migrated from the 7 Mb package to the NGB Advanced on the 17/04/2010.

When I spoke to eircom last night they said each of the packages are up to 8Mb, depending on line quality.

However today they said if I opt for the NGB Regular package not only will the download usage be capped (30Mb) but the download speed will be capped to 3Mb?!

Hi GreySquirrel .... if you are on the 7Mb package then you will be automatically migrated to the Unlimited NGB package. If you opted for the NGB Regular package then you will have a 30GB usage allowance. With regards the 3Mb speed cap .... this is not the case. You will be provided with the max speed your line can attain up to 8Mb.

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi GreySquirrel .... if you are on the 7Mb package then you will be automatically migrated to the Unlimited NGB package. If you opted for the NGB Regular package then you will have a 30GB usage allowance. With regards the 3Mb speed cap .... this is not the case. You will be provided with the max speed your line can attain up to 8Mb.

Well, someone needs to let Customer Support know that there is no 3Mb speed cap. It has fecked up all my cost calculations.

I've been with Eircom since it was P&T and had the only phone on the road. Neighbours used to come in to use the phone and leave 1d (old penny) to use the phone :)

• Advertisement

Well, someone needs to let Customer Support know that there is no 3Mb speed cap. It has fecked up all my cost calculations.

I've been with Eircom since it was P&T and had the only phone on the road. Neighbours used to come in to use the phone and leave 1d (old penny) to use the phone :)

Hi ... I'll sort that out. Thanks for the heads-up. So you had one of the black dial phones which took 20mins to dial a number on :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Many of them were white Bruno and the P&T also did a nice magnolia/beige version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Many of them were white Bruno and the P&T also did a nice magnolia/beige version.

It is ironic that the new Eircom HQ in John's Rd is on the site on an old P&T depot which actually had a factory where telephones were repaired!

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi ... I'll sort that out. Thanks for the heads-up. So you had one of the black dial phones which took 20mins to dial a number on :D

A big black bakelite mofu with a braided cloth covered cable. The dial took forever to rotate back by which time I'd forgotten which digit I'd dialled.

I'm talking early 60's, you know the 60's, The Beatles, George Best and Man on the Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Could not agree more. I am on the 24MB package with a 75GB cap. I'm currently sitting on 175GB. Never been under the cap and never heard a word about it from them.

175GB **** me what have you been downloading? I think the max ive hit was like 60 in a month then BT throttled me! so I hacked into the neigbhors broadband for a few days mwah ha ha ha ha:D

A big black bakelite mofu with a braided cloth covered cable. The dial took forever to rotate back by which time I'd forgotten which digit I'd dialled.

I'm talking early 60's, you know the 60's, The Beatles, George Best and Man on the Moon.

I only barely made it into the 70's so I'll have to google them :) Beatles you say?? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

We had one of those at home until I think about 1995
    Of course back then all of the local numbers were just five digits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey,

I had an Eircom rep at the door saying that the Eircom NGB Basic (€51.78) up to 8mb doesnt have a cap on it, it is meant to be 10gb. I am currently on the Vodafone €67 per month option with 24mb (more like 8mb) and capped at 100gb.

Any chance that what the Eircom rep said was the truth??

Branners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

branners69 wrote: »
    Hey,

I had an Eircom rep at the door saying that the Eircom NGB Basic (€51.78) up to 8mb doesnt have a cap on it, it is meant to be 10gb. I am currently on the Vodafone €67 per month option with 24mb (more like 8mb) and capped at 100gb.

Branners

It's lies.

The lowest package has 10gb usgae

The next one up has 30

and the top has a fair usage policy (basically 250gb)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

crazyderk wrote: »
    175GB **** me what have you been downloading? I think the max ive hit was like 60 in a month then BT throttled me! so I hacked into the neigbhors broadband for a few days mwah ha ha ha ha:D

Bit of this and that, that's about all I can say here ;)

• Advertisement

OK, I'm now on NGB package.

6.96 Mb/s

0.43 Mb/s

About 1 mile from exchange.

6.96 Mb/s

0.43 Mb/s

What package are you on?

6.96 Mb/s

0.43 Mb/s

What package are you on?
    Is your line about 1 mile long, or is the exchange one mile as the crow flies?

Branners all NGB is up to 8Mb up to what your line can handle.

I meant his download allowance package, 10gb etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

All this NGB nonsense will push people away who can get other options in their area. People like myself, in the damn sticks, will have to stick with Eircom for decent broadband, but damn, if it ain't broke, don't fix it; wish Eircom would think of their customers instead of the wallets for a second.
    Not to mention, in a recession too. Bastards.

What package are you on?

Don't know. I think it Advance with a phone package.

Is your line about 1 mile long, or is the exchange one mile as the crow flies?

As Mr Google's crow flies. I'll work out road route.

As Mr Google walks,1.09 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

I don't see what difference it would make.:confused:

If cable / fibre aren't in the area, and if you're not on an upgraded exchange, then you can only get resold Eircom dsl.

i.e current options are

Eicom (up to) 7Mb = 39.80
    Smart (up to) 7Mb = 46.50
    Magnet (up to) 8Mb = 65.50

As far as I can see Eircom would be the only reasonable option. Right?

EH You forgot UPC (aka chorus NTL)
    UPC (up to) 15mb + UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS 39.75 EURO P/M

LOOKS LIKE THE BEST TO ME

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

fitzy94 wrote: »
    EH You forgot UPC (aka chorus NTL)
    UPC (up to) 15mb + UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS 39.75 EURO P/M

LOOKS LIKE THE BEST TO ME

UPC have a FUP of 250gig a month, tbh I wouldnt exactly be a light user and have never been bumped up to the extreme package, I think 250gig is a fair cap, if you go over persistantly they'll put you on a €80 a month extreme package I think of top 30meg speed,

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Hey,

Branners

the rep that signed me up said the same

Advertisement