Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging if you exceed your download allowance?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

Just after reading the Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb? thread when I notice the following:
    aerocell wrote: »
    It will be up to 8Mb
    Basically you will have a 10gig cap on the 1Mb line and on the 3Mb line will be capped at 30gig.
    You will be charged for every gig over this, 2euro per gig I think*
    Basically you will get the highest speed up to 8Mb that you line can handle.

*My empahisis.

Whoa, when did this happen? Or when is it due to come into effect? I'm surprised it's not bigger news.

Also have eircom now added upload to your download cap? i.e. if your cap is 30 GB does that include your download and upload stats?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=70&E=0000000000226450729&K=1742&SXI=14&case=7240&branch=4
    * eircom reserves the right to apply a charge of 1 cent (inc. VAT) per Megabyte for downloads in excess of specified limits of the broadband package you are using. For details on download limits for each broadband package, click here or here.
    So €10 per gig over your cap. I've yet to stray above the limit, but by the wording of that disclaimer I don't think they charge the extra unless you regularly abuse the limit. If you go over by a couple hundred MB one month once off, I'd doubt they'll charge you the extra few € like...I haven't heard from anyone who's been charged extra so far...They've always had this disclaimer stuck into the user agreement, maybe now they're just starting to crack down on it or something? :confused:

For the 30GB cap at least, it only includes download stats. Above your graph on the dslstats check it shows download and upload amounts separately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Every single month of the 4 years i've had their broadband i've gone over the allowance. If they ever enforce this i won't pay and more to the point i'll leave them just as quick. I think they'll find at least half of their customers will do the same thing. We're not with them for their competitive prices thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

corny wrote: »
    Every single month of the 4 years i've had their broadband i've gone over the allowance. If they ever enforce this i won't pay and more to the point i'll leave them just as quick. I think they'll find at least half of their customers will do the same thing. We're not with them for their competitive prices thats for sure.

Could not agree more. I am on the 24MB package with a 75GB cap. I'm currently sitting on 175GB. Never been under the cap and never heard a word about it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

We're not with them for their competitive prices thats for sure.
    Amen to that!!

This is what they're rolling out - http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

From my cursory reading of it you're no longer paying for speed but usage. Your usage is calculated according to your download and upload stats so if you use your broadband for torrenting your cap has effectively halved. For every GB you go over it's gonna cost you 2 euro up to a max of 49.99 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

I'd imagine most people with Eircom aren't there because of the competitive pricing or high speeds.

They're with them because there's no other option in their area (Like me:().

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

As I said in the other thread if they try and charge for it they'll be at least losing one customer. Also, good luck to them trying to charge me €400 for last month alone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

yeah if this hits, I'm screwed.

Only hope is that if they still don't bother, I mean in my current contract they already say that they'll charge you if you go over. 4 years over the limit at this stage and no charge. There'll be chaos if they decide to make it stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

+1 if this comes to fruition i'll be moving to a different provider. Also, i'll be hammering my broadband 24/7 in the weeks before it comes into place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

I'd imagine most people with Eircom aren't there because of the competitive pricing or high speeds.

They're with them because there's no other option in their area (Like me:().

If you can get Eircom DSL, you can get DSL from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone else finding that they cant log onto the usage meter ?

I'm putting in my ph. no. and account no. correctly but it's saying that they're invalid.

• Advertisement

chilly wrote: »

I'm putting in my ph. no. and account no. correctly but it's saying that they're invalid.

Mines working fine. Just logged in.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Amen to that!!

This is what they're rolling out - http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

From my cursory reading of it you're no longer paying for speed but usage. Your usage is calculated according to your download and upload stats so if you use your broadband for torrenting your cap has effectively halved. For every GB you go over it's gonna cost you 2 euro up to a max of 49.99 euro.

Just reading the FAQ on the support website.
    Am I charged excess usage on my NGB Advanced Product?

No, there is Unlimited usage on NGB Advanced. However, there is a fair usage policy which is applied to this product. For more information please refer to standard broadband terms and conditions.

Suits me fine. 1:1 contention with no cap.

chilly wrote: »

If your phone number is 01-1234567 make sure you enter the '-' as well.
    In other words don't just enter 011234567. If you don't enter the '-' it will tell you your entry is invalid.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean the current stat's checker at http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/

If you meant the Next Generation Broadband usage meter then I'm not sure. I can't use it 'cos it's f***ing Windows only :rolleyes:.

Isn't "Fair Usage" just a cap with another name? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

This is all ComReg again. They took away Eircom's free mobile minutes offer and still seem to want to tear the company down with all these restrictions they place on them. They justify this by pointing at Eircom's market share but what's even worse is the fact that they allow other companies to basically slander the company at the same time (that Vodafone ad that was like 'show Eircom the door' etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

DeepBlue wrote: »
    If your phone number is 01-1234567 make sure you enter the '-' as well.
    In other words don't just enter 011234567. If you don't enter the '-' it will tell you your entry is invalid.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean the current stat's checker at http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/

If you meant the Next Generation Broadband usage meter then I'm not sure. I can't use it 'cos it's f***ing Windows only :rolleyes:.

Thank you!:)
    I had been trying to use the Next Generation Broadband yoke! That mustn't work yet.

The link you gave me works fine though. I'm at 59% for this months. Oh relief. :)

It says my cap is only 40GB on the 7mb package. I thought it was 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

Just reading the FAQ on the support website.

Am I charged excess usage on my NGB Advanced Product?

No, there is Unlimited usage on NGB Advanced. However, there is a fair usage policy which is applied to this product. For more information please refer to standard broadband terms and conditions.

This is very slyly worded.
    The FAQ's refer to the new, lets call it NGB, for arguments sake.

But it is referring to their top package only in this instance though.
    People will read "advanced" in this context and assume they are referring to the new system (advanced broadband or as they call it Next Generation Broadband) and not their recently made up package names.
    Very sly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is this going to be mandatory ?
    Im not fully understanding this, How will they go about this , I have 3mb line now and pay 25 a month now , Can we choose what mb speed we buy .

If your area is due for the "Upgrade" then it would be mandatory, yes.
    Although it is worded to sound like they're doing you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    If you can get Eircom DSL, you can get DSL from others.

I don't see what difference it would make.:confused:

If cable / fibre aren't in the area, and if you're not on an upgraded exchange, then you can only get resold Eircom dsl.

i.e current options are

Eicom (up to) 7Mb = 39.80
    Smart (up to) 7Mb = 46.50
    Magnet (up to) 8Mb = 65.50

As far as I can see Eircom would be the only reasonable option. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

I don't see what difference it would make.:confused:

If cable / fibre aren't in the area, and if you're not on an upgraded exchange, then you can only get resold Eircom dsl.

i.e current options are

Eicom (up to) 7Mb = 39.80
    Smart (up to) 7Mb = 46.50
    Magnet (up to) 8Mb = 65.50

As far as I can see Eircom would be the only reasonable option. Right?

http://www.mulley.net/2006/02/09/broadband-choices-in-ireland/

Probably a bit out of date, but google is a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

p2p2p wrote: »
    This is very slyly worded.
    The FAQ's refer to the new, lets call it NGB, for arguments sake.

But it is referring to their top package only in this instance though.
    People will read "advanced" in this context and assume they are referring to the new system (advanced broadband or as they call it Next Generation Broadband) and not their recently made up package names.
    Very sly indeed.

Had a read of this ... it's related to the NGB Advanced package which is sold as unlimited. The question / answer is simply stating that there is no excess usage charges on the NGB Advanced package. Obviously there is excess usage charges on the other two because it says there is on the site ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

Pangea wrote: »
    Is this going to be mandatory ?
    Im not fully understanding this, How will they go about this , I have 3mb line now and pay 25 a month now , Can we choose what mb speed we buy .

It looks like all the NGB products are 'up to' 8Mb so you will be given the highest speed your line can attain up to a speed of 8Mb .... these products are usage based (10GB, 30GB & Unlimited) so you would be moved to the price equivalent NGB product ... which would be the 30GB I assume .....

Had a read of this ... it's related to the NGB Advanced package which is sold as unlimited. The question / answer is simply stating that there is no excess usage charges on the NGB Advanced package. Obviously there is excess usage charges on the other two because it says there is on the site ....

That's what I said.
    The FAQ's all relate to gereric NGB questions but the important one of "Am I charged excess usage on my NGB Advanced Product?" THEN refers to their TOP package which is obviously a sly way of compiling them.
    Otherwise it would say "Am I charged excess usage on my NGB Product?", to keep to the generic nature of the other questions.

Generic
    Generic
    Generic
    Will I be charged extra [refer to top package here]
    Generic
    Generic
    Throw in a stupid question to pad and hide slyness "What is a Gigabite" ffs
    Generic
    Generic

Eh, how is that not sly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If you are migrated to NGB during a month, the usage is counted from the date you are migrated to NGB until the end of the calendar month.

So would I be right in thinking that if they switch me to the NGB tomorrow (as that article says), I have a download allowance of 30GB from tomorrow until the end of March?(Wed) .

I'll be doing some fierce downloading for the next couple of days if thats the case, make up for this poxy useage charge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

I found the following at the Eircom site here It seems the Fair Usage is 250 Gigs now. Usage is downloaded AND uploaded.

"The products are differentiated based on usage, the usage allowances are as follows:

* Next Generation Broadband Basic - 10Gb
    * Next Generation Broadband Regular - 30Gb
    * Next Generation Broadband Advanced - Unlimited*
    * Business Lite Next Generation - 10Gb
    * Business Lite Plus Next Generation - 30Gb

*Unlimited usage subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB. For more information, please visit www.eircom.net/ngb"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

*Unlimited usage subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB* on the advanced package is the same as UPC offer and is higher than smarts which aint too bad imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

And on the 24Mb package it's 75GBs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

what way do the upgrades work, i am on the 7mb will that become the Next Generation Broadband Advanced automatically?

never mind i found my answer.

there is a maximum charge for going over your downloads of €49.99 it under the NGB product section on their site in usage allowance explained.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Voltwad wrote: »
    This is all ComReg again. They took away Eircom's free mobile minutes offer and still seem to want to tear the company down with all these restrictions they place on them.

Comreg were very much in the right for their ruling on Eircom's plans, Eircom's plan was anti-competitive as they also own Meteor.
    They justify this by pointing at Eircom's market share but what's even worse is the fact that they allow other companies to basically slander the company at the same time (that Vodafone ad that was like 'show Eircom the door' etc).

Eircom has had a monopolyin this country for years and you seem very quick to forget that, this monopoly has meant that ADSL rollout in Ireland has been **** slow and that a high percentage of PSTN lines within Ireland cann't support ADSL because Eircom failed to invest money in them,

Intead eircom choose to beat a dead horse that was dialup and ISDN for years longer then they should have instead of pushing ADSL like providers in other countrys were doing.

In relation to your frankly laughable comments about other companies slandering eircom....I'm sorry but have you seen the most recent Eircom advert?, you can hardly try and defend eircom when they do the same to other companys. Its all poking fun and is certainly not slander :rolleyes:

In relation to eircom charging for going over the cap given that people continue to speculate on this I honestly don't think they'll be happy untill eircom do.

Advertisement