Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging if you exceed your download allowance?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd really like to know how eircom can call this Next Generation Broadband. It's 8Mbps ADSL, which isn't current gen, it isn't even previous gen, it's the one before that again.

I think it's time to submit another pointless complaint to Comreg and the ASAI again.

Once you are moved to the new structure, which will be based on usage rather than speed, I fully expect them to start charging for over use. Otherwise, what would be the point of changing it to a usage based pricing strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Cabaal wrote: »
    In relation to eircom charging for going over the cap given that people continue to speculate on this I honestly don't think they'll be happy untill eircom do.
    Newsflash. They are now charging for going over the cap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Newsflash. They are now charging for going over the cap.

Fair enough, we seen people being billed yet though?

To be honest its in no way surprising, eircom have always reserved the right, they are in debt and they need to make more money as their fixed line revenue is in the hole at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jor el wrote: »
    I'd really like to know how eircom can call this Next Generation Broadband. It's 8Mbps ADSL, which isn't current gen, it isn't even previous gen, it's the one before that again.

I think it's time to submit another pointless complaint to Comreg and the ASAI again.
    It is an up to 8mbits product based and delivered to the customer on the G 992.3 standard that was approved in 2002 . The original G 992.1 standard was 7 down and one up and was approved in July 1999. The backhaul may be more modern but the final mile and customer equipment certainly ain't

There is nothing next generation about an adsl standard approved in 2002 especially when eircom also offer ADSL2+ products ( 12mbits and 24mbits) that date from a 2003 Standard.

Timeline page 2

http://www.broadband-forum.org/downloads/About_DSL.pdf

ASAI here we go. :(

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fair enough, we seen people being billed yet though?
    No but previously it was buried in the small print of the terms and conditions afaik. Now it's front and centre.
    Their new usage monitor (which only works in Windows!!) will prompt you on your usage if it's getting close to your limit and helpfully prompt you to upgrade!

If, after doing all that, they don't charge for going over the cap I'd be pretty amazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is an up to 8mbits product based and delivered to the customer on the G 992.3 standard that was approved in 2002 . The original G 992.1 standard was 7 down and one up and was approved in July 1999. The backhaul may be more modern but the final mile and customer equipment certainly ain't

On the DSL page of the web config for my eircom router it has the modulation as 'DMT'. Can I interpret that as the G992.1/G.dmt standard?

When an area is capable of a certain standard, can eircom choose to use an older standard? (i.e. Using G992.1/G.dmt even though the area is capable of G992.5/ADSL2+)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

Too lazy to read this whole thread, but to get it straight; Am I going to start getting charged for going over the limit, yes, no, probably, not likely, same as before? I am on a standard 3mbps, 30GB connection.

If yes, or probably, then can you please direct me to the cheapest rope and chair store?

Too lazy to read this whole thread, but to get it straight; Am I going to start getting charged for going over the limit, yes, no, probably, not likely, same as before? I am on a standard 3mbps, 30GB connection.

Yes. But only if you live inside the M50 at present and then only from April unless you download 30gb+ by the months end, starting this morning.

As you are more likely on a bundle here is how eircom do it.

1. Bundle = €50 a month.
    2. Line rental component charged full rate €25.37.
    3. Calls = €5 a month.

3Mbit charged at the balance which is €19.63. Eircom will then charge you €2 a GB for the next 16GB you use on top of the 30GB , this amounts to €32 but as eircom cap their own cap at €49.99 for Broadband they will only charge you a fraction of the 16th GB

The max bill in that case will be

€25.37+€5+€49.99 a month = €80.36 a month.

They may force you to upgrade to the Advanced package instead which comes with a higher cap.

There is word of an absolutely fixed bundle for €47 but you will have to pay to downgrade to 1mbit to get that absolutely fixed bundle.

To celebrate the price gouging eircom brought THIS in to launch the product.

If you go over your 30 GB (download AND upload) then yes.
    If yes, or probably, then can you please direct me to the cheapest rope and chair store?
    Probably Argos as I don't think ALDI or LIDL are doing specials at the moment. :pac:

Can I ask something please? I'm on a 7mb bundle in Limerick (which has been totally forgotten by Eircom) and not on NGB. If I go over the 50gb limit will I get charged? Whereas if I was in Dublin I'd be paying the same price and would have unlimited (fair usage blah blah blah) usage? Just curious as it seems a little well illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

+1 if this comes to fruition i'll be moving to a different provider.

I'll be moving to a different country...seriously, I can't physically afford the bill if it included all my downloads over my cap...my friend has been downloading 3x his limit for a while and never been overcharged, atm I'm just stepping over my limit...if this hits for sure, then not only will I tell them to go f themselves, I'll move country and come back when Ireland becomes a communist country...

...or when Eircom goes bankrupt.

They'll be making hundreds off each customer per month!

They'll be making hundreds off each customer per month!
    Well no, they'll only be charging you 2 euro for each GB you go over your cap up to a maximum of only 50 euro.
    So as most people's bills are bi-monthly your two month bill could contain up to a maximum of only 100 euro extra.
    Edit: Wrong info. See below ↓ ↓

I love the way eircom use the word only in their blurb. It makes it sound like it's just a small extra.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So as most people's bills are bi-monthly your two month bill could contain up to a maximum of only 100 euro extra.

A maximum of 100 euros extra less 2 x the nominal cost of your package or the actual cost if not in a bundle.

You will only be affected if on a 3 or 1 mbit package or bundle. a 3mbit standalone is €30 a month so they can only hit you for €20 extra a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I've just typed in my phone number and details into the coverage map on the Eircom website, to see if I'm going to be automatically upgraded to this NGB and was greeted with a message saying that the area I live in won't be getting NGB at this stage.

So, what does that mean for me then? I can continue to not worry about being charged for excess download allowance etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I've just typed in my phone number and details into the coverage map on the Eircom website, to see if I'm going to be automatically upgraded to this NGB and was greeted with a message saying that the area I live in won't be getting NGB at this stage.

So, what does that mean for me then? I can continue to not worry about being charged for excess download allowance etc?

They have always had the ability in their t&c to charge for excess useage. So if they are going to start charging people who are now on their so-called NGD package, its possible they will also start to charge people who arent. Otherwise you'd have people complaining about the consistency of their charges.

The truth is that we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Easy solution people:

http://business.eircom.net/bundles/products/?package=8MbBundle
    ONLY €67.99 a month

Includes:
    • Up to 8Mb Always On Broadband
    • Unlimited local & National Calls‡ {max of 2500 minutes (plenty for most people)
    • 60 any network mobile minutes‡‡
    • Line rental included
    • Unlimited download allowance
    • Free connection online
    • Free WiFi access

All you need is a line that can support up to 8 mbit (or you can join me here to help pester them to let slower lines take the package)

The package is even better value than the "eircom talktime chatter & up to 7Mb broadband"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Easy solution people:

ONLY €67.99 a month

only e67...what planet do you live on?

bealtine wrote: »
    only e67...what planet do you live on?
    Planet Marketing*

*Where putting "only" in front of a price suddenly makes it seem reasonable and easily affordable.

well it is a good deal considering the other packages eircom offer :rolleyes:
    the:
    Eircom talktime chatter & up to 7Mb broadband
    is €61.73
    with 30 minutes for mobiles

Up to 8Mb Value Business 8Mb Bundle
    is €67.99
    with 60 minutes for mobiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

They have always had the ability in their t&c to charge for excess useage. So if they are going to start charging people who are now on their so-called NGD package, its possible they will also start to charge people who arent. Otherwise you'd have people complaining about the consistency of their charges.

The truth is that we will have to wait and see.

Aye, I know what you mean mate, it really is a matter of wait and see.

Sad thing for me though, is my line can only support 3mb at most, I get speeds of 2.5mb on a 3mb line, so upgrading to an 8mb for unlimited download allowance isn't feasible to me.

It's a pity Eircom don't do an offer like say charge an extra €10 or €20 a month for unlimited download allowance and make it avaliable to any package. I'd gladly pay it, even for just peace of mind.

• Advertisement

therokerroar Come onto the eircom connect forum and help me pester them for it

im in the same boat as you btw http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64794079

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Easy solution people:

http://business.eircom.net/bundles/products/?package=8MbBundle
    ONLY €67.99 a month

Includes:
    • Up to 8Mb Always On Broadband
    • Unlimited local & National Calls‡ {max of 2500 minutes (plenty for most people)
    • 60 any network mobile minutes‡‡
    • Line rental included
    • Unlimited download allowance
    • Free connection online
    • Free WiFi access
    All you need is a line that can support up to 8 mbit (or you can join me here to help pester them to let slower lines take the package)

The package is even better value than the "eircom talktime chatter & up to 7Mb broadband"

Eh, nope..
    Only 67.99 a month Plus VAT

Actual price (to a residential user that can get it) = 82.61 a month

oh right right, forgot the vat, i always forget the vat
    still a pretty good deal imho

Edit: does the home package of 61.73 include vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Edit: does the home package of 61.73 include vat?

Yes.

Generally with business prices most companys quote ex vat.
    From a (purchasing) business point of view it is only 61.73 as they can claim the vat back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

err I'm confused, since when is that price considered a good deal?

Most people don't give a crap about free evening and weekend calls and that lark as they can get much cheaper services to do that via the likes of Blueface.

People want good value Broadband,

its free anytime local and national calls ;)

Spoke to some girl at eircom not long ago and she said eircom will be sending out letters before they start implementing the excess usage charge

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

There charging e2 per gig and rounded down so you have .9 g before your charged. also they are capping the usage charge if you exceed. So say your on the basic package and download like mad the max you'll pay is the price of the advanced package and it'll be capped at that. Mind you a sales rep will prob call and pester you to upgrade your package

its free anytime local and national calls ;)

Not exactly a deal breaker when your looking for a decent ADSL service in fairness

Anybody know what's happening the people on the old packages? Will I get charged €2 per GB and is there a max? I rang twice but no one there knew :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anybody know what's happening the people on the old packages? Will I get charged €2 per GB and is there a max? I rang twice but no one there knew :rolleyes:
    No didn't think so. Bit like the reaction I got from the Eircom reps.

Advertisement