Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging if you exceed your download allowance?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Skerries wrote: »
    the rep that signed me up said the same

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/14/#fragment-3

Thats a lie what the rep told you, it has a measly 10Gig cap according to here,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

wtf 10gb cap on an 8mb connection? Whats the point of 'ngb' if you cant do **** all. rant over, probably will be switching to upc when it comes in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

They cannot not be serious about a 10GB cap on a 8MB Connection, in all honestly like that is ridiculous

Iv got 7MB @ home and the cap is 50GB per month, also from Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Whats the point of 'ngb' if you cant do **** all.
    The point is that eircon can monetize the torrenters, youtube watchers, RTE Player watchers etc and move from a flat fee (however exortionate it is at least it's a flat fee) back to a metered service which will bring in more revenue for eircon. They were probably feeling nostalgic for the days when they practiced daylight robbery with their charges for using dialup.
    "NGB" makes perfect sense from eircon's point of view but perhaps not from the user's viewpoint. After all do you really need an 8MB connection if you're just browsing the web?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

One would have to laugh at the whole "OMG Next Generation Broadband!!" mantra from them. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

nuxxx wrote: »
    They cannot not be serious about a 10GB cap on a 8MB Connection, in all honestly like that is ridiculous

Iv got 7MB @ home and the cap is 50GB per month, also from Eircom

You will have a 250GB usage cap when the NGB gets rolled out to your area.
    DeepBlue wrote: »
    The point is that eircon can monetize the torrenters, youtube watchers, RTE Player watchers etc and move from a flat fee (however exortionate it is at least it's a flat fee) back to a metered service which will bring in more revenue for eircon. They were probably feeling nostalgic for the days when they practiced daylight robbery with their charges for using dialup.
    "NGB" makes perfect sense from eircon's point of view but perhaps not from the user's viewpoint. After all do you really need an 8MB connection if you're just browsing the web?

10GB is fine per month if you are just web browsing.

You will have a 250GB usage cap when the NGB gets rolled out to your area.
    Did they ever enforce the limit anyway? I don't know why they wasted time with limits and whatnot when they never were going to charge for them. Are they charging people on the new NGB thing that go over their limit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

10GB is a joke, on any package....it's easily used up just for surfing and warching YT, or embedded flash video, adds etc.

It's just not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

So now that NGB is slowly being rolled out across the country, anyone who has been on it for a full month that has dared to go over the limit?

I think they may have to enforce the new said limit, otherwise there's no difference between the 3 NGB packages as they all are 8mb dl speed; the higher cap customers will feel scammed if everyone is getting free dl's. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yet another own goal for Eircom. True to form at least. You know UPC must be looking at Ireland like it's a hotbed of untapped opportunity and revenue and if they could provide decent service for the forseeable future and somehow get their services out there to the rest of the country then Eircom would sink in such a spectacular fashion. Maybe we'd only be replacing one monopoly with another but if it stood up for the customer a little bit more well then hey it's all good. On topic : I agree 10GB is a joke. That's what? 15 films? How many games could you download from Steam (or elsewhere for that) One or two if you're lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are Eircom seriously calling 10Mb DSL "next generation broadband"? Ahahahahahahahaha!
    Third world broadband is a more apt description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

So now that NGB is slowly being rolled out across the country, anyone who has been on it for a full month that has dared to go over the limit?
    I was switched from 3Mb to NGB last month and went over the 30GB limit, as I always do. My 'useage limit' for this month now says 4GB instead of 30. So im over this months limit already in one day :pac:

I don't know what they're playing at, but if they even think of charging me excess it'll be the push that makes me switch to UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DBK100

I have just popped this in the post to eircom (registered of course).
    It might be of interest to others who find themselves in a similar situation.
    I am now back with UTV who have always provided an excellent service, including 'customer service'.

Eircom Ltd
    Customer Services
    Telephone House
    Marlborough Street
    Dublin 1

Dear Sir or Madam,

Eircom Invoice Error – Bundled Phone & Broadband Service.
    Accont No. XXX. Stated as commenced 23/06/10.

We have recently received an invoice from you in relation to a service which you have not provided.

An Eircom salesperson called to our home and sold us an Eircom “Bundle” service which was to have included both telephone and broadband internet services. The salesperson offered these services at a combined price of €46.79 per month. The salesperson also advised that there was no requirement to give advance notice of termination to our current service provider.

Following your salesperson’s visit we discovered that a notification period of 4 weeks was in fact required by our current provider, that Eircom’s charges were higher than those stated by the salesperson, and that you were unable to provide the bundled service you had offered (refer to your letter concerning your inability to provide a broadband connection which we received on 05/07/10).

As you have not provided the services which formed part of this bundled package in accordance with the agreed terms, you have reneged on the contractual agreement entered into. As a result we have been left us with no option other than retain the services provided by our current provider. Your non-performance has also inconvenienced us by leaving us without any broadband service for a period of time.

You should only contact us again to confirm that your erronous invoice has been cancelled. You might consider speaking to your sales person (George) who gave us the information on your service prices and the notification required by current service providers which transpired to be incorrect. We would also advise that no eircom sales people (for any eircom product) should call to our home in future.

Yours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

10GB is true. I was talking to an eircom rep last week, he was offering 1Mb broadband with talk and other crap for 46euro a month with a 10Gb cap. The cap is so low because its only 1Mb and as you all know the cap goes up as you buy a more expensive package. Now I signed up to the package because the package will be upgraded for free to 8Mb NGB. I rang eircom and asked about the cap and she said because the original package was the 1Mb option the cap will stay at 10Gb because only the speed increases and not the allowance. She suggested an additional like 20Gb for a 5er extra a month. Its fair crap because I usually go over 100Gb a month.

Thanks my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got charged €16.50 for going 10gb over the allowance, goodbye eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ShaneU wrote: »
    That's the first time I've seen anyone post that eircom are actually enforcing the new quotas. I suspect that quite a lot of people will be waving goodbye to them if they have a decent alternative.

I remember reading on one of their leaflets that if you pay €5 extra a month you get unlimited downloads, are they still doing that?

edit: just looked it up, it's €10 a month :(

It was actually €16.50 before VAT, so it was €20, €2 a GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Just to clarify; you're on the NGB now, correct?

azzeretti wrote: »
    Just to clarify; you're on the NGB now, correct?
    yes, I had always gone over the limit before and was never charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 peterdaly

Same here, they start charging for exceeding 10gb per month. Bye Bye , I jumped over to UPC 15mb DL with unlimited download , fair usuage I think is 250gb per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

if your on NGB then you will get charged for over usage if your on their normal service non NGB they dont enforce caps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

*goes over download limit before NGB*

*downloads flac songs*

DAMN SLOW CONNECTION!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Just got my bill yesterday and the exact same, got charged 16.50 for going 10gb over the limit. Will be ringing them to cancel my service.

Adios Eircom, hello UPC :D

bombs away wrote: »
    Just got my bill yesterday and the exact same, got charged 16.50 for going 10gb over the limit. Will be ringing them to cancel my service.

Adios Eircom, hello UPC :D
    it's €20 after VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

The funny thing about it is that the service is actually worse since I was upgraded. I lose my connection more frequently during gaming and the download speed is slower than it was before. So I'm paying more for a service that's worse than the previous one, where the heck is the logic in that :confused::confused:. Makes a lot of sense though in this screwed up country.

I seriously hope Eircom go out of business for this and it would serve them bloody right it they did :mad:

Former Eircom customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Darzinho

Has anybody else been phoned by Eircom to say they were over there limit / or are close to going over their limit?

I'm just back from abroad and whilst I was away the bill-holder downgraded to the cheapest package. She received a call today informing her she was over the limit (or will go over the limit - she wasn't sure which).

bombs away wrote: »
    I lose my connection more frequently during gaming and the download speed is slower than it was before.

Same here, highest speed I've had since the "upgrade" is 1.2mb

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

I remember reading on one of their leaflets that if you pay €5 extra a month you get unlimited downloads, are they still doing that?

edit: just looked it up, it's €10 a month :(

Sorry to drag this thread up again but would you by any chance have a link to this €10 per month offer for unlimited downloads? Can't find anything on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I have never gone over my limit even though I watch hundreds of youtube videos per day! I cant wait to switch to UPC though!

Advertisement