Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom apparently upgrading to 8mb?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

Just changed from perlico to eircom, got the 1mb bundle as rep called to door and said that in june all 1mb and 3mb customers with eircom will be upgraded to 8mb automatically, and most importantly free of charge. Anyone hear of this? He said it should be going up on website in few weeks, 8mb is already available, theyre just waiting to launch it's phase 2 upgrade of broadband speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maccer666

hi,
    up until recently i taught the best eircom had was 7mb,i know they have 24mb now,never heard of 8mb,i reckon the rep ment the 7mb,currently on the 3mb myself but if theres a free upgrade going i aint going to say no to it,cheers for the info will be keeping an eye on that 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Not sure if Eircom will be offering "up to 8Mb" for residential customers but they have been for Business customers for 6 months plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

It will be up to 8Mb
    Basically you will have a 10gig cap on the 1Mb line and on the 3Mb line will be capped at 30gig.
    You will be charged for every gig over this, 2euro per gig I think
    Basically you will get the highest speed up to 8Mb that you line can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Was upgraded last month from 3 Mb to 8 Mb (brother works for them). Holy crap just did a speed test, used the eircom test and sppedtest.net to check and it's averaging at 40 Mb/s and I'm using wireless! :eek:

Could that be cached files producing that result?

Edit: Nevermind, it's fluctuating from 7 Mb/s to 120 Mb/s
    761009831.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

crxsi09 wrote: »
    Just changed from perlico to eircom, got the 1mb bundle as rep called to door and said that in june all 1mb and 3mb customers with eircom will be upgraded to 8mb automatically, and most importantly free of charge. Anyone hear of this? He said it should be going up on website in few weeks, 8mb is already available, theyre just waiting to launch it's phase 2 upgrade of broadband speed.

is that the same speed upgrade that was supposed to happen this january? one of these days the tought might cross your mind that the rep was telling you what you wanted to hear to get you to sign. maybe hes right, but i doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

heard its happening in april in the dublin area

and as aerocell pointed out its cap based pricing so they will start charging for excess usage. notice the way the stats page is only 3 months history now so you cant see your previous usage levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Baneblade wrote: »

as aerocell pointed out its cap based pricing so they will start charging for excess usage. notice the way the stats page is only 3 months history now so you cant see your previous usage levels.

If they're going to start charging for excess downloading , are they going to fix the stats page ? - I'm on the 7meg package with a download allowance of 50GB , but their stats page says I have an allowance of 40GB .

Also , since they changed the stats page , it's running 2 days behind - previously , it was updated at midnight and was easy to keep an eye on what you've downloaded .

ninja 12 wrote: »
    If they're going to start charging for excess downloading , are they going to fix the stats page ? - I'm on the 7meg package with a download allowance of 50GB , but their stats page says I have an allowance of 40GB.
    Yeah same here. I've an email saved from them stating that it should be 50GB just in case the blighters start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Will these be their new packages
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=160&E=0000000000225689169&K=9213&Sxi=12&Case=obj%2810686%29

Anyone know if you can sign up to their unlimited package yet?
    Next Generation Broadband Advanced - Unlimited*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

At least they state their limit on the unlimited package
    *Unlimited usage subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

When did they start charging for overuse? :(

I've never even checked my stats on Eircom. Thought they were going to turn a blind eye to how much we were all downloading and not charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

chilly wrote: »
    When did they start charging for overuse? :(

I've never even checked my stats on Eircom. Thought they were going to turn a blind eye to how much we were all downloading and not charge.

They haven't yet but it looks like they might start with their new package set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If they try charging for me going over their joke of a cap they'll have one less customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The packages will be all upto 8mb meaning your line will sync at the max possible upto that speed. The upload will be 512kb

The packages will be differentiated by download rather then speed.

The 1mb - 8mb package has a cap of 10gb usage as in upload and download.

The 3mb - 8mb package has a cap of 30gb usage

The 7mb - 8mb package has no cap but a fair usage policy

They will all remain the same price

Eircom will be rolling this out until the end of the year.

Initially it will just be in Dublin.

Do not worry about going over the limit to much. Regardless of how much you download you won't be charged to much.

Eircom will be rolling this out until the end of the year.

Initially it will just be in Dublin.
    Awww I was hoping I'd have my new unlimited cap next month :( I believe the new charges come in on Sunday so I thought the new packages would come in after Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

so my 7mb package will go up to 8mb?
    im usualy getting between 4-5mb tops i dont imagine i will see any average improvement?also my upload is 384kbps will that be increased also?
    hopefully my ping is improved i need that for ps3 gaming:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

marko91 wrote: »
    so my 7mb package will go up to 8mb?
    im usualy getting between 4-5mb tops i dont imagine i will see any average improvement?also my upload is 384kbps will that be increased also?
    hopefully my ping is improved i need that for ps3 gaming:D

You probaby won't see an increase in download speed but you may see an increase in upload speed.

The key to this ngb is that it is uncongested so the people moved to the the new 8mb service won't get slowdown in the evening time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

So when is this happening? I'd love 8mb. I know I can get the full 7 mb on my line already so I'd say 8 should be grand too.

You probaby won't see an increase in download speed but you may see an increase in upload speed.

The key to this ngb is that it is uncongested so the people moved to the the new 8mb service won't get slowdown in the evening time :D

thats still great news would more upload speed = better online ping etc?

also since the 3mb lines are being upgraded to 8mb just like the 7mb should i downgrade to the 3mb package since next month ill be paying more for the same thing:confused:sorry it seems all chinese to be:o

I rang up and said I was thinking of cancelling and they told me it would be the next few months until this comes in :(

• Advertisement

I rang up and said I was thinking of cancelling and they told me it would be the next few months until this comes in :(

argghh...i came on boards ay in search of whats the best isp but seeing this thread i may aswell stay with eircom until i try this out at leist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is coming in next week, in Dublin.

Do a tracert to www.boards.ie and carefully note any change in hop 2 or 3, the BRAS hop, over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

anybody know if the 75gb cap on the 24mb package will move to the 250gb fair use policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Sounds like good news at last, the no contention part in particluar. Maybe it's just coincidence, but since the introduction of the 25Mb packages my 7Mb connection drops to an average of about 1.5Mb to 2Mb every evening now, prior to that I got full speed all the time.

I've complained to Eircom several times to no avail. They sent me a text last week to say that the problem had been resolved at the exchange (Lucan) but it hasn't made any difference at my end.

I was thinking of switching but I think I'll hold off for now and see how this works out.

Does anyone have any info on the technical side of implementing this? What has changed that allows them to offer an uncontended service now?

The unlimited (250GB) sounds OK too. When I moved up to 7Mb package I never thought I'd use the 50GB a month but now I get close to it every month. Here's hoping things improve and we finally get a decent service.

Just had a look at the coverage map and it seems it's only available in Dublin, east of the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭_John C

Lots of new scheduled areas have appeared on their map this evening. This morning it was only showing a green area over Dublin and no blue areas.

_John C wrote: »
    Lots of new scheduled areas have appeared on their map this evening. This morning it was only showing a green area over Dublin and no blue areas.
    What map? Can I get a link please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭_John C

http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

Click on "Coverage map"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

The 1mb - 8mb package has a cap of 10gb usage as in upload and download.

The 3mb - 8mb package has a cap of 30gb usage

The 7mb - 8mb package has no cap but a fair usage policy
    a cap of 250gb

FYP
    Do not worry about going over the limit to much. Regardless of how much you download you won't be charged to much.

You're basing this on...?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    FYP

You're basing this on...?

According to Eircom,

Caps will be enforced, 2 euro for every GB over the cap - to a max of 50 euros.

Seems a pretty crap deal, at least as is they dont enforce the cap which makes the broadband at least usable.

If they start enforcing the caps then the broadband will be nothing short of a joke. Getting broadband seriously sucks in this country.:mad:

• Advertisement

According to Eircom,

Caps will be enforced, 2 euro for every GB over the cap - to a max of 50 euros.
    Could I ask your source for this? Surely you couldn't, say, go over by 100GB and still be charged for 25GB (€50)?

Advertisement