Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hi all,

my little man is 6 days old and i have been breast feeding, he was struggling a little bit with a tonuge tie and an immature stuck? so on the advice of HS we will have topping up with expressed milk and the odd formula bottle.

sometimes, when i latch him on, he keeps spitting me out making faces likes it tastes bad. is this because he is getting too used to bottles??

i really want to continue breastfeeding but am afraid of him getting dehydrated again and full of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

John Mason wrote: »
    hi all,

my little man is 6 days old and i have been breast feeding, he was struggling a little bit with a tonuge tie and an immature stuck? so on the advice of HS we will have topping up with expressed milk and the odd formula bottle.

sometimes, when i latch him on, he keeps spitting me out making faces likes it tastes bad. is this because he is getting too used to bottles??

i really want to continue breastfeeding but am afraid of him getting dehydrated again and full of wind.

Hiya congrats x

I had S's tongue snipped at 2 weeks (she's 7 weeks now): it was a posterior tie so milder than an anterior but mild was enough to be giving me a lot of pain and her wind, vomiting etc. And in the hospital I was told she had none! Topping up means they are getting the milk much faster so sometimes they can start to fuss at the breast: if you can look up paced bottle feeding on YouTube it might help?

Have you been referred to anyone for the tongue tie? When I was getting it done I literally help her in my arms and it was snipped and I gave her a feed and went home. It made things much much easier. There's a Facebook group called Breastfeeding with Tongue Tie in Ireland: it's well worth joining for information.

If you haven't been referred please look into it: Tongue Tie is only now starting to be treated properly in Ireland: so you can often be told it's nothing their tongue will stretch etc. If it's done at this age it's so simple and will make the world if difference to feeding. If your sore as well the multi mam compresses are fabulous :)

thanks, havent been referred to anyone. was told they no longer snip as standard and i need to organise it myself.

my brother had his done at 2 because it was accepting his speech. i was going to talk to the doctor at his 2 week check and arrange it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ya it's better to get it done now when there's no anaesthetic involved. Is it causing you pain? The sooner the better with it really.

Honestly I'm impressed they acknowledged it! With my little girls one the hospital said she had none as did phn. The phn that runs the breastfeeding group spotted it within 30 seconds of me walking in. Got it done within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It does seem that the HSE's agenda is to insist tongue tie, even if it's plainly obvious, doesn't exist.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Hey Mammies,
    I need some advice on getting my 7mth old to sleep. I feed her to sleep....take her off the boob and hold her for a while but then I transfer her to the cot....( We're using a three sided Co cot )....she trashes about a bit then starts to wake so I end up picking her up....crying/whinging stops immediately. I try again a while later and same thing happens.....I've tried 3 times now since 11pm..... Any suggestions?

Are you trying to get her to sleep without the boob or to break the association of boob and bedtime?

If so you need to unlatch her just when she's very sleepy but still awake. I think you pull her chin down slightly and this breaks the latch gently.

Then you could give her a little cuddle, say sshh a few times, put her in the cot and say sshh while rubbing her back. Then gradually progress towards putting her in the cot awake. She needs to create a new association of the cot being a nice place to fall asleep.

The no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley deals specifically with sleep techniques for breastfed babies. I'd really recommend it. It worked for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

thanks for your reply How Strange.
    its the transfer thats the problem...shes full, asleep and all cuddled up then wakes when her bum touches the cot :rolleyes:
    shes too used to sleeping being cuddled in my arms..even her daytime naps are in my arms. of course up til now its been lovely but shes getting more active and needing more fun etc so shes wearing me out a bit. i posted last night almost as a way of distracting myself from getting annoyed with her :o
    ill try your suggestion tonight...less cuddling and more getting into bed..even if it takes multiple goes

Don't expect instant results but if you keep at it for a couple of weeks (yes, weeks!) you'll see a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

clare82 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply How Strange.
    its the transfer thats the problem...shes full, asleep and all cuddled up then wakes when her bum touches the cot :rolleyes:
    shes too used to sleeping being cuddled in my arms..even her daytime naps are in my arms. of course up til now its been lovely but shes getting more active and needing more fun etc so shes wearing me out a bit. i posted last night almost as a way of distracting myself from getting annoyed with her :o
    ill try your suggestion tonight...less cuddling and more getting into bed..even if it takes multiple goes

My little lady is difficult to transfer too. She feeds to sleep on the boob. What I do is have a blanket under my leg whilst feeding her. When she's finished feeding I put the blanket over her so it comes up higher than her head along her back.. I then lay her into the cot stretching out the blanket so I can tuck it in. This seems to take the shock of hitting the cold mattress away.

• Advertisement

iam trying to find a support group in Finglas but nothing is coming up on google.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ladies what are your thoughts on the pre natal breast feeding classes? I am booked for one in CUMH on Monday and I hate having to ask for time off work to attend when I seem to have endless ante natal appointments. But if it's worth while I will attend. How much can they really show you when you physically don't have a baby yet? Would I be as well waiting and talking to the lactation consultant post birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

ncmc wrote: »
    Ladies what are your thoughts on the pre natal breast feeding classes? I am booked for one in CUMH on Monday and I hate having to ask for time off work to attend when I seem to have endless ante natal appointments. But if it's worth while I will attend. How much can they really show you when you physically don't have a baby yet? Would I be as well waiting and talking to the lactation consultant post birth?

I went to one in Holles St and it was useful because I had some specific questions related to my own circumstances, and it was also useful to find out what support was in place in the hospital. However from a practical point of view I probably picked up just as much at the antenatal class. Mine was at 6pm so i just went after work and I didn't have the issue of taking time off - I'm not sure if it would be covered under the free time for antenatal classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

ncmc wrote: »

I did this class last year. I thought it was helpful in parts but there was way to much anecdotal conversation about attitudes towards breastfeeding, public perception, people's stories etc. It might have been helpful if you weren't 100% on breastfeeding and needed support to make the choice but as a result there was very little said on specific things like solving breastfeeding related problems. It was touched on but rushed. The woman giving the class realised this and apologised. There just wasn't enough time to cover everything.

The part that I found most helpful was when she explained about the science behind milk production, hormones and the like. She made it clear how important the frequency of feeds is at the beginning, why you shouldn't use formula for night feeds etc. I didn't know any of this before hand.

I'd recommend doing your homework (class or good book) before the baby arrives because one bad first night could be enough to make you give up, before meeting with a lactation consultant. I found the midwives in CUMH to be really helpful with the breastfeeding. One woman spent ages helping me latch on my baby in the middle of the night, giving me tons of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

iam trying to find a support group in Finglas but nothing is coming up on google.

any ideas?

You could ask your phn. There's one in ballygall I know but I'm sure the health centre in the village run one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks ladies for the replies. I did a private one on one ante natal class with one of the midwives from CUMH and she included a lot about breast feeding. She was quite passionate about it without being over bearing and she went through the science behind it, how little milk babies actually need per feed in the first weeks and the importance of a good latch. She also said that I should ask a midwife if I have the right latch every time I feed. I had my ante natal app yesterday and the midwife taking my BP said the same. So it sounds like I've pretty much covered what will be included in the class? I know work probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if I told them I needed the time, but feel I'm always asking for time off these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I found the class to be more about support than hard cold facts, and it sounds like your ante natal class would have covered a lot of it. Just make sure you cancel your place cos I know the class books up quickly and there is probably someone looking for a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't find any antenatal classes very useful. I was in an online group and got more support from that and threads like this. I kind of just powered through on my first, sheer determination to keep going I guess. Second time around it was far easier, it nearly went too well!
    I found the staff in the hospital very hit and miss as regards advice on cluster feeding, latch and expectations when you're breastfeeding. Some told me to pump to bring in supply, others told me to feed little and often, others told me different things. Learning to feed lying down was a good idea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

any ideas?

You'll find that the best way to search for breastfeeding support groups in Ireland is currently through Facebook. Since the Extended Breastfeeding in Ireland group started on it a couple of years ago, most of the regional areas have launched their own local pages on Facebook too.

Try Cuidiu Dublin North West; https://www.facebook.com/groups/107451909290628/ Which is an open group that anyone can look at.

And Breastfeeding Mums in Dublin; https://www.facebook.com/groups/214424325313610/?ref=ts&fref=ts Which is a closed group and you will have to have an account to join, but it will probably have more information about local meetings as it will cover Friends of Breastfeeding and LaLecheLeague meets as well as just Cuidiu.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did any of you ever loose milk on one side only ?
    How did you get it back ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Did any of you ever loose milk on one side only ?
    How did you get it back ?

Hi moonbeam, I've never lost milk on one side but I do know the more baby sucks the more milk is produced. So perhaps try getting your baby to suck on the side you need to produce more milk. If baby wont suck you could try to pump? If you try pumping frequently for short periods it should stimulate milk production.

Im not an expert on this so anyone please feel free to correct me :)

I've never lost milk on one side but I had a had side on both babies. It was the same side.

Perhaps ring a Cuidiu LC for advice. I'd also suggest latching on frequently on that side otherwise pump.

I heard of one woman who only had milk in one breast and apart from them being lopsided (!!?!) she fed successfully and exclusively until the baby weaned after turning 1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I mostly pump so it is pretty even , will try little and frequently .

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I mostly pump so it is pretty even , will try little and frequently .

I didn't lose milk on one side, but I had low supply on one side, when I used to pump only 1/3 used to be pumped from right side compared to left. Then I started latching more often on right side to stimulate it and it's pretty good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just a tip, these cheap rectangular cushions from IKEA are so handy for supporting baby & your arms when feeding. I bought a few & have them around the house.
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80262535?cid=ie%3Esm%3Esms%3Eikea_app_share
    I'd be lost without them (and have very tired arms)

My LO is 7 weeks and seems to have gotten into the routine of going down between 10 and 11pm. Waking around 2.30 for a feed (which takes an hour along with the winding and changing) and again at 5.30am for a feed
    For an hour. This has been going on for a while now and while initially I didn't mlnd I'm starting to wonder would a bottle of EBM before bed help out and make her sleep a bit longer.... I wouldn't mind Having to get up at 3 or 4am or whatever if it was just the once. And I wouldn't even mind the 2 wakes if she was gojng to sleep earlier than 10 or 11pm. I know a lot of people probably have it worse than this.... but any advice or suggestions?

Are you cosleeping? I coslept with my daughter for the first 12 weeks, after resisting it on my son, and I found it great for getting the most sleep possible. By cosleeping she would fall back asleep after a feed or she would snuggle into me and fall asleep.

I know it's little consolation but it could/probably will all change in the next couple of weeks. Both of mine started getting tetchy to go to sleep around 8pm from 8 weeks onwards. They were getting over stimulated by TV, lights etc once they became aware of their surroundings. I was putting my son down in his cot at 7pm by 11 weeks.

Thanks for your reply How Strange. You always seem to have good advice :). We aren't co-sleeping. I've put her in my bed 2 or 3 times ever only... When I was really getting next to no sleep. I spose I'm a bit scared about it tbh... I know there are safe ways of co-sleeping but I'm just not sure if I could do it regularly. The couple of times I did do it tho it was such a relief! I breast fed my son for 5 months and he never once came in to the bed I was so scared id roll on him! Think its mainly because my PHN terrorised me with stories of co-sleeping 3 days after I became a first time mum. I won't go into a particular story... But let's
    Just say I was scared for life after it....

Can I ask when you are co-sleeping... Do you not wind and change baby?? Te couple of times I've done it she'd just fall asleep beside me and I've not needed to wind her or anything... So how come I always need to wind her before putting her in her own cot or she gets a crap sleep!? I'm also worried that once she comes into the bed... I'll never get her out again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Think its mainly because my PHN terrorised me with stories of co-sleeping 3 days after I became a first time mum. I won't go into a particular story... But let's
    Just say I was scared for life after it....

My PHN directed me to this research by Dr J McKenna about co-sleeping: https://cosleeping.nd.edu/
    It might alleviate some fears!

• Advertisement

I don't think I winded my daughter at all. I can't remember ever doing but definitely not at night. I stopped changing nappies as soon as she stopped doing random poo explosions. This time around I had two pillows which I semi reclined on. I then had a pillow under each elbow/arm. That way I could switch her over, feed and fall asleep. Sometimes I'd scooch down into a more lying down position but she preferred me to be a little more upright. Also in that position and with pillows under my elbows I was less inclined to roll over and she was very stable lying on me. It was such a relief to finally give in to cosleeping for those first 12 weeks.

By the way both of mine wanted out of my bed and into their basket/cot at 12 weeks so cosleeping full time at the start doesn't mean you'll be still sharing when she's 3! Both of mine also refused to get into my bed unless they were sick. I'm not into cosleeping long term but you have to do whatever gives you the most sleep at the start.

Advertisement