Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

We're in the middle of the sleep regression as well. Feeding every hour and a half, super cranky during the day, and possibly teething on top of it. Going slightly spare, but it'll pass, hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Thanks for the replies. Galah I can see my son's bottom teeth under the gum and his two top canines seem to be coming through too; my first boy was 8 months before teeth came through so I'm surprised by this!

I got an energy supplement yesterday and already it seems to be helping. I don't have the option of taking to the bed unfortunately with another child to look after. I'll look back on this time in a few months with rose tinted glasses I'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

What energy supplement did you get bagheera? My 8 month old still wakes every hour or so for a comfort feed. Exhausted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Madisson wrote: »
    What energy supplement did you get bagheera? My 8 month old still wakes every hour or so for a comfort feed. Exhausted!!

I got koyu matcha green tea in the health food store. It was 21 euro and has 30 servings so a little pricey and I was a bit sceptical. However today is the best I have felt in months after drinking it this morning. I woke up feeling my usual wrecked self so it was nothing to do with extra sleep last night! (Which I didn't get).

That sounds so tough. My little one sleeps for 2-3 hours from around midnight, but when he wakes he is on and off the boob constantly then until I have to get up with my older son. Broken sleep really takes its toll on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Must try that too, same problem here, sleepless cranky baby and crazy active toddler, it's exhausting! Still delighted that the breastfeeding works so well this time round though, it could be a lot worse ;-)

• Advertisement

I'll be definitely trying that. Ye I can only imagine how hard it would be to wake up for bottle feeds but there again maybe she wouldn't bother and would sleep through ha. The little munchkin knows shes onto a good thing with booby feeds on tap haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Every single time I think it's getting easier.... Had S weighed today by PHN at breastfeeding group so I could write it in her baby book: no concerns otherwise she's 12 weeks today. She's only gained 7 oz in 4 weeks. She had a tongue tie revised at two weeks. Pneumonia and a week in hospital at 4.5 weeks. Reflux and she's on Zantac.

So anyway she's only pooing once a week, so with low weight gain could be an issue. Although they did say they weren't worried. Anyway just utterly frustrated by it all.

Has anyone else had low weight gain? I know a gain is a gain but obviously with all of the above it's impossible not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We had the opposite and mine were huge which brought about comments of over feeding and perhaps too many sugary foods and drinks until I told them they were exclusively breastfed.

She's had a lot to contend with since birth and yet she's still gaining weight. Look to the baby so if she's feeding well, is meeting her milestones and is generally content then perhaps she's petite. The great thing about breastfeeding when it's established and not being restricted is that the baby is the size they're supposed to be.

I think your phn is being very pragmatic which is fantastic to hear.

As for poos, it's very rare for a breastfed baby to be constipated. Every few days is just normal for her.

We'll always worry no matter what they're doing. However, if you're still worried then perhaps email Dr Jack Newman and see what he says. He's a world expert in breastfeeding and paediatrics. There's very few problems he hadn't come across before.

Phn is amazing! Honestly I know you hear horror stories, but she's just great :)

Seeing doc later because she's dropping down the centile curves: she's dropped to the 85th. They said to me if she was on the 2nd percentile and stayed there it wouldn't worry them, but when they drop off their curve it's better to double check; but it's probably just the reflux!

My poor little baba the thoughts of her being poked at again: she has plenty of wet nappies, but she's very colicky at times and some of her pukes are quite forceful so it's probably best to get her seen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

I am looking for opinions. When you started solids did you continue to exclusively breastfeed or introduced formula? Baby has been exclusively breastfed till now, I am thinking of introducing formula. Did you have say couple of breast feeds in a day and rest bottle? Does baby then latch as well as take bottle no problem? Currently he is refusing to take bottle, hence wondering if i introduced bottle then would he latch? I am looking for experiences, is anyone currently doing both along with solids?

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

I continued to exclusively breastfeed apart from the very odd bottle of formula if I wanted an overnight rest. I think sticking with breastfeeding until they're old enough to drink cows milk from a sippy cup involves the least amount of work. I started cups of cows milk at 11 months on both of mine. 4-6 weeks later we were finished breastfeeding by their choice. There's a strong possibility that introducing formula now would mean the end of breastfeeding which is fine if that's what you ultimately want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

kknitter wrote: »
    I am looking for opinions. When you started solids did you continue to exclusively breastfeed or introduced formula? Baby has been exclusively breastfed till now, I am thinking of introducing formula. Did you have say couple of breast feeds in a day and rest bottle? Does baby then latch as well as take bottle no problem? Currently he is refusing to take bottle, hence wondering if i introduced bottle then would he latch? I am looking for experiences, is anyone currently doing both along with solids?

Thanks for your help.

I wonder if your baby might accept a bottle when you start solids as it is a change of scenery? You could try offering some cooled boiled water from a bottle with every meal just to get him used to the idea of things without the distress of it replacing the breast?

Are you introducing a bottle because you are going back to work, or so you can get some time away? If it's the latter, it is so much easier to get time to yourself even without having to give a bottle of milk when the baby gets established on solid food.

I stayed exclusively breastfeeding when solids were introduced. He has never had formula but will take expressed milk from a bottle when I am away, not very often. He is exceptionally un-fussy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks for your help.

I breastfeed and give formula and solids and all is good! You could try a beaker instead?

Thanks for your help.

I breastfeed and give formula and solids and all is good! You could try a beaker instead?

Thanks for your help.

Im back to work in a while, just wondering what all your routines were when you went back. My baby os 7 months and still wont take more than an ounce or 2 from a bottle. Im back on a 4 day week and in from 8 untill 3. She's also not bothered by solids so its not an option to fill her on solids for the unless she becomes more interested

I continued to exclusively breastfeed apart from the very odd bottle of formula if I wanted an overnight rest. I think sticking with breastfeeding until they're old enough to drink cows milk from a sippy cup involves the least amount of work. I started cups of cows milk at 11 months on both of mine. 4-6 weeks later we were finished breastfeeding by their choice. There's a strong possibility that introducing formula now would mean the end of breastfeeding which is fine if that's what you ultimately want to do.

Thank you very much how strange. I see the point. I don't want to stop breastfeeding but just reduce it. But from your experiences I would be better exclusively breastfeeding I guess.

livinsane wrote: »
    I wonder if your baby might accept a bottle when you start solids as it is a change of scenery? You could try offering some cooled boiled water from a bottle with every meal just to get him used to the idea of things without the distress of it replacing the breast?

Are you introducing a bottle because you are going back to work, or so you can get some time away? If it's the latter, it is so much easier to get time to yourself even without having to give a bottle of milk when the baby gets established on solid food.

I stayed exclusively breastfeeding when solids were introduced. He has never had formula but will take expressed milk from a bottle when I am away, not very often. He is exceptionally un-fussy though.

Thank you livinsane. I want to introduce bottle to have some time away. But I guess I would cobtinue exclusively breastfeeding till I can and see how it goes. Thank you for your help.

I was very lucky as both of mine were easy going and would take a bottle when it was offered as long as it wasn't me giving it. However at this stage I'd say start using a standard sippy cup of water with all meals/eating times. Hopefully he'll get the hang of it quickly. My 13 month old only has a sippy cup now and she loves it. Just don't assume the formula or whatever milk has to be given from a bottle. Perhaps your partner could test him with little amounts of milk from a cup while you're not there. He can hold it and offer him sips. You'll be amazed how quickly they can get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We had the opposite and mine were huge which brought about comments of over feeding and perhaps too many sugary foods and drinks until I told them they were exclusively breastfed.

pmsl (I hope that's the right acronym)

My two were under weight and weighed weekly by the PHN until both were over 6 months. It was so crap, even though I knew they were fine I felt there was and air of suspicion about what I was doing.

One was bottle fed, one breast.

• Advertisement

My first little girl was massive too 97th percentile for ages.so this is totally new to me!! I've started S on carobel now as a paste when feeding her, so that should hopefully solve it. It had better I'm super sick of doctors and the chemist at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi all, my little girl arrived on Thursday, via emergency section. She's 7lbs 5oz of perfection! Feeding going really well so far, had the most amazing lactation consultant called Susan in CUMH. I honestly wanted to take her home with me! She really helped me in the first couple of days when I was doubting if anything was coming out! Christine was weighed this morning and she has only lost 40g! They would have allowed up to 330g! So the feeding obviously going ok.

The thing is, she only nurses for a very short time, 15 mins every 3 hours. She seems to have a powerful suck and pretty much empties one boob in that time. No matter what I do though she won't touch the other boob and as a result, one boob gets very engorged. I am wondering if I should pump the second boob after a feed to release some pressure. I can live with it being uncomfortable but am worried about getting a blocked duct or something. But then does pumping just extend the problem by making the breast produce more? Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your little girl x

It seems you've got a very efficient feeder. I'd leave the other breast alone and the supply will adjust. Just hand express a little off if you're very enforced and sore but pumping will only create an oversupply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all, my little girl arrived on Thursday, via emergency section. She's 7lbs 5oz of perfection! Feeding going really well so far, had the most amazing lactation consultant called Susan in CUMH. I honestly wanted to take her home with me! She really helped me in the first couple of days when I was doubting if anything was coming out! Christine was weighed this morning and she has only lost 40g! They would have allowed up to 330g! So the feeding obviously going ok.

The thing is, she only nurses for a very short time, 15 mins every 3 hours. She seems to have a powerful suck and pretty much empties one boob in that time. No matter what I do though she won't touch the other boob and as a result, one boob gets very engorged. I am wondering if I should pump the second boob after a feed to release some pressure. I can live with it being uncomfortable but am worried about getting a blocked duct or something. But then does pumping just extend the problem by making the breast produce more? Thanks in advance!

I was the same as yourself. Could only ever feed from one side and for 10-15 mins. Never caused a problem. I agree with how strange. Leave it be and you supply will settle. Clearly your little girl is doing great. Enjoy her :-) congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the replies How Strange and Kandr, funny in the last day she has started taking both boobs at each feed so don't have the same problems with being overfull.

I find at times though she is using the boob as a soother, not sucking at all but waking up rooting if I take her off. I tried her with an Avent soother, but she's not keen. I think it's a bit big. Are there any soothers that might be a bit smaller I could try?

Both of mine used me as a soother too. I have my son a soother in the first week but with my daughter I waited for 2 or 3. I used to give her my finger to suck on. She had very mild tongue tie so she couldn't keep the newer types in her mouth and we had to use the old fashioned rubber ones.

I waited with my daughter because of the tongue tie. However I'd say try them all until you find the one that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

hi all. my daughter is 2 weeks old and has started to feed constantly. yesterday she fed for 3 or 4 hrs. then slept for an hour and a half, fed for 20 slept for an hour qnd a half then 20 etc and today she has fed pretty constantly from 11am to 5. she has been asleep since bar a few short feeds which ive woken her up for every2 hrs. is this normal? is there anything i can do?°i am so tired i feel im not properly enjoying this special time. but on the other hand i want to do right by her and know breast is best...

Congrats on your little girl :)

Breastfeeding at the start can be incredibly intense as the first 12 weeks are about laying the foundations or establishing a supply which will sustain them nutritionally for 6+months.

I've breastfed two kids to 1 year, both were boob monsters, and I can honestly tell you if you can stick with it for the first 6 weeks then it gets easier by degrees until you Evebtually find yourself at 13 weeks and you realise how fantastic and easy it is. You'll be so completely free that all you need on a day out is a few nappies and perhaps a change of clothes. No worrying about not having enough bottles etc.

This is the toughest stage but it's so worth it to stick with it. Best of luck x

Have a look at this and it might reassure you
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Detoxkid well done and keep up the good work. I'd agree with everything how strange has said. Tea, toasted sandwiches, biscuits, fruit and all of downton abbey on box set is all u need for the next few weeks.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Does anyone know where to get cheapish nursing tops online? I got a 2 pack from h&m but they're constantly in the wash and my little man peed on both of them this morning in the space of an hour! They're not going to be used long term so I'm not keen on spending €35-40 per top from boob/jojo maman bebe. Especially when they're not even that nice!

Or am I missing a trick and is there a discreet way to feed in normal clothes?

Advertisement