Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Does anyone know where to get cheapish nursing tops online? I got a 2 pack from h&m but they're constantly in the wash and my little man peed on both of them this morning in the space of an hour! They're not going to be used long term so I'm not keen on spending €35-40 per top from boob/jojo maman bebe. Especially when they're not even that nice!

Or am I missing a trick and is there a discreet way to feed in normal clothes?

I found most of the nursing tops doubled as maternity so were far too big on the belly area. I Wear two tops, one a stretchy vest that you can pull down, the other pull up. That way your boobs and tum are covered. Pennies have loads on long stretchy vest tops under a fiver at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

effibear wrote: »
    I found most of the nursing tops doubled as maternity so were far too big on the belly area. I Wear two tops, one a stretchy vest that you can pull down, the other pull up. That way your boobs and tum are covered. Pennies have loads on long stretchy vest tops under a fiver at the mo.

I also found this so much better than nursing tops and more discrete cos you can cover more boob with the top layer. Also it gets you back into your 'normal' clothes quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Thanks - that makes sense. Stupid question (because my brain is mush) but would the stringy vests work better than the singlet type, as I can't see how easy it would be to pull down the vest while managing baby and another top? As I said, my brain is mush...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

I use boob tubes...again pennys have them for a fiver i think. But yea stringy vest would be better than the singlet tank top style.
    Agree on the nursing tops....total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Think it depends on the size of your boobs :P

I use both single and stringy vests, and just some floaty tops or shirts on top, works a treat (but my boobs aren't huge, so easy to get out).

Also recommend to put a nappy on your guy to prevent peeing on your tops :D

• Advertisement

clare82 wrote: »
    I use boob tubes...again pennys have them for a fiver i think. But yea stringy vest would be better than the singlet tank top style.
    Agree on the nursing tops....total rip off.

Thanks, that's a great idea! Right - penneys it is as soon as I'm back driving! Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I never got the hang of vest tops and pulling them up and down. I decided I was saving money on formula so I could afford some breastfeeding tops that weren't totally hideous. People often sell them on ebay and adverts secondhand or on breastfeeding groups on Facebook.

My little fella is going on a bottle strike after the holiday we were on, we didn't bother with bottle as he only has one at night. He's 9.5 months and I was planning to drop bottles at a year anyway. Would anyone have a view on whether I should bother (or rather get his dad to bother) trying to get him on a bottle again or just ride it out? His sister self weaned at one or thereabouts so I'm half hoping he'll do the same, although he looooooooooves the boobs.

Thanks - that makes sense. Stupid question (because my brain is mush) but would the stringy vests work better than the singlet type, as I can't see how easy it would be to pull down the vest while managing baby and another top? As I said, my brain is mush...

So if you put your hand up between the two tops and release your boob over the top of the vest one while still covered with the top one, then pick up your baby put him into position and then lift the outer layer just enough for him to latch on ... Et voila! Works the same as if you were only wearing one normal top just your tummy stays covered.

On a side note, Just saw a lady in Barcelona breastfeeding her baby while walking (using a carrier). Thats the work of a pro. Fair dues to any of you who can manage that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was given a boob long sleeve top when feeding my daughter and I was instantly converted. They're just fantastic and so clever. On my son I used the vest under the top and it worked fine but the boob tops are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Another question. When did periods return? I've been feeding for over nine months this time, night feeds are almost gone, apart from one or two for comfort the odd time. I got my period back at five months last time. I'm delighted to be doing without them, just wondering if there's an average time for periods to return. I'm pretty much exclusively breast-feeding with an attempt at a bottle of formula here and there.

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    So if you put your hand up between the two tops and release your boob over the top of the vest one while still covered with the top one, then pick up your baby put him into position and then lift the outer layer just enough for him to latch on ... Et voila! Works the same as if you were only wearing one normal top just your tummy stays covered.

Great thanks for that! You'd think that would all be obvious to me but I'm so awkward managing baby and clothes - I was basically topless most of the time in hospital!

Great thanks for that! You'd think that would all be obvious to me but I'm so awkward managing baby and clothes - I was basically topless most of the time in hospital!

Not at all! I was exactly the same :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

+1 to that contrary Mary, I would have been quite prudish before having the baby, now I'm wandering around with my baps out for the world to see! LOL, I have no shame!

ncmc wrote: »
    +1 to that contrary Mary, I would have been quite prudish before having the baby, now I'm wandering around with my baps out for the world to see! LOL, I have no shame!

I know! I've always been very shy about my little boobs but they're always having out these days!

Had anyone got any tips for pumping? Baba is 3 weeks and feeds around the clock. I'd like to get him used to the odd bottle and maybe get a few feeds into the freezer so I can get out of the house without him every now and then (in a few weeks time). I have a medela swing and I managed to express around an ounce this morning when I got a few minutes to spare. It's slow going and he only sleeps after a big feed so I'm not sure how to get any stock. Any tips or hints?

I know! I've always been very shy about my little boobs but they're always having out these days!

Had anyone got any tips for pumping? Baba is 3 weeks and feeds around the clock. I'd like to get him used to the odd bottle and maybe get a few feeds into the freezer so I can get out of the house without him every now and then (in a few weeks time). I have a medela swing and I managed to express around an ounce this morning when I got a few minutes to spare. It's slow going and he only sleeps after a big feed so I'm not sure how to get any stock. Any tips or hints?

Honestly at 3 weeks I'd be delighted with an ounce a day provided it's not taking you too long to get it. The baby might only take 3 or 4 oz at a push so you'd have maybe 2 bottles a week. Some days you might get more and some less. That's plenty to just get him used to bottles since he's still so little. After another few weeks your baby will settle into more of a 'routine' (apply term loosely!) and it'll be easier to predict the feeds. It gets much easier to pump after that. You'll start to see your supply settle a bit.

I'd freeze each ounce and then you could try the bottle every few days when a feed builds up. Don't rush it though cos it's a pain to pump and breastfeed often (I'd to do it for every feed for the first 2weeks).

You can get freezer bags to store breastmilk which are handy. I bought a box of plastic containers in boots. They each hold 1oz and they're a bit better if your planning to do it long term cos they're reusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I do the same, I bought a rake of string vests in Penneys & I just wear them under my normal clothes. As long as the top layer is stretchy or loose enough to pull up comfortably, I'm sorted!

BTW decided to buy Mothercare's reusable breast pads instead of the Boots disposable ones (which we're working perfectly) they're kinda crap. The smallest bit of milk & it leaks through!!! I can't depend on them at all.

Honestly at 3 weeks I'd be delighted with an ounce a day provided it's not taking you too long to get it. The baby might only take 3 or 4 oz at a push so you'd have maybe 2 bottles a week. Some days you might get more and some less. That's plenty to just get him used to bottles since he's still so little. After another few weeks your baby will settle into more of a 'routine' (apply term loosely!) and it'll be easier to predict the feeds. It gets much easier to pump after that. You'll start to see your supply settle a bit.

I'd freeze each ounce and then you could try the bottle every few days when a feed builds up. Don't rush it though cos it's a pain to pump and breastfeed often (I'd to do it for every feed for the first 2weeks).

You can get freezer bags to store breastmilk which are handy. I bought a box of plastic containers in boots. They each hold 1oz and they're a bit better if your planning to do it long term cos they're reusable.

Thanks. So basically after every feed you would just pump the remainder, am I understanding correctly? How does that work with the equipment - do you need to wash/sterilise each time? I'll be out all day tomorrow which is a pain, I'd love to give it another go.

Well his Dad gave him the ounce in the bottle yesterday evening. He wasn't that long after a feed but was rooting for more - he guzzled it in seconds and screamed like a madman until he got onto me and emptied both breasts! He's such a hungry little fella - I'd say he loved how quickly he was able to get it out of the bottle!

Thanks. So basically after every feed you would just pump the remainder, am I understanding correctly? How does that work with the equipment - do you need to wash/sterilise each time? I'll be out all day tomorrow which is a pain, I'd love to give it another go.

Well his Dad gave him the ounce in the bottle yesterday evening. He wasn't that long after a feed but was rooting for more - he guzzled it in seconds and screamed like a madman until he got onto me and emptied both breasts! He's such a hungry little fella - I'd say he loved how quickly he was able to get it out of the bottle!

Yeah basically cos my little girl needed top ups. I wouldn't recommend pumping more than once a day if you don't have to do it. It's a pain to have to wash and sterilise bottles along with breastfeeding. Completely takes away the convenience.

I always found I'd get more milk in the morning I think it's quite common. If you had a chance to do it then you might get a bit more but as I say if you store up a few ounces in the freezer you'll have a full feed for the little man in a few days, even if you only got an ounce a day.

The other side of it is you're not recommended to pump til 6 weeks because of establishing your supply etc. I gave expressed milk for about 3 weeks then stopped (in my case because the top ups were no longer required) and went back to it at 7 weeks at which point she started refusing the bottle. For that reason I don't think it's any harm to take an oz a day and offer a bottle even once a week just to get him used to it.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness hope it makes sense!!

olaola wrote: »
    I do the same, I bought a rake of string vests in Penneys & I just wear them under my normal clothes. As long as the top layer is stretchy or loose enough to pull up comfortably, I'm sorted!

BTW decided to buy Mothercare's reusable breast pads instead of the Boots disposable ones (which we're working perfectly) they're kinda crap. The smallest bit of milk & it leaks through!!! I can't depend on them at all.

Have you tried the boots reusables? I found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Have you tried the boots reusables? I found them good.

Might give them a shot. The Mothercare are nearly worse than nothing. They seem to wick the milk through faster than normal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've already searched the thread and can see that it is common at this age but my 8 month old is biting the crap out of me the last few days. He's even doing in his sleep at night. He has cut his seventh tooth a week ago so the eighth should be following soon so he is actively teething. He has bit me before but not like this. He is stretching the nipple out with it between his teeth. Terrified feeding him!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

livinsane wrote: »
    I've already searched the thread and can see that it is common at this age but my 8 month old is biting the crap out of me the last few days. He's even doing in his sleep at night. He has cut his seventh tooth a week ago so the eighth should be following soon so he is actively teething. He has bit me before but not like this. He is stretching the nipple out with it between his teeth. Terrified feeding him!

The first time he did it to me, I yelped and I jolted him with my squeal. Then he bawled with fright. The second time he drew blood, but he was half asleep when I yelped and he nearly jumped out of his skin. And I firmly told him off "no biting mama!" Never did it again.

Take him off the breast each time he uses his teeth, and firmly tell him "no biting". He will understand quickly enough. He probably wont do it when he is hungry, but watch out towards the end of a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Neyite wrote: »
    The first time he did it to me, I yelped and I jolted him with my squeal. Then he bawled with fright. The second time he drew blood, but he was half asleep when I yelped and he nearly jumped out of his skin. And I firmly told him off "no biting mama!" Never did it again.

Take him off the breast each time he uses his teeth, and firmly tell him "no biting". He will understand quickly enough. He probably wont do it when he is hungry, but watch out towards the end of a feed.

Up to now, he has only been biting as you describe - when not interested in feeding - and I've unlatched and said no (will start using the specific word "biting") but this week it seems like some of it is out of discomfort, since he is doing it in his sleep. This morning he bit me but then immediately started feeding. He's extremely crabby and needy this week too. Thankfully it's sunny so we can sit out a lot!

My little boy is 5 weeks old and feeding has been going well. However I'm delirious from lack of sleep! he will feed every 2 hours or so throughout the night, meaning I'm only getting short snatches of sleep here and there. sometimes I think it is actually gas waking him rather than hunger as he seems to get annoyed by his farts! (he doesn't cry but when he wakes he'll lie there pulling up and kicking out his legs, grunting, moaning and straining etc until he cracks one out that a grown man would be proud of!)

I have 2 friends with babies of similar ages, both breastfed too, and they have been getting 4/5 hour stretches at night since early on. what the hell am I doing wrong?! I haven't got more than 3 or 4 hours of broken sleep in a 24 hour period for over 5 weeks and sometimes I feel so "out of it" I think I must be dangerous.

He's a great baby otherwise, seems happy and doesn't cry excessively. He's gaining weight at a great rate. any words of encouragement or advice? I just can't see an end in sight and sometimes it's hard to enjoy him when I'm so tired

Congrats on your little baby x

Believe me we've all been there and it's the most exhausting time. BUT there's an end in sight! There will be an improvement after the 6 week growth spurt and then it'll get easier by degrees until you find yourself around 3 months realising how easy it is.

The early weeks are all about laying good foundations for successful breastfeeding so it can be exhausting and feel never ending.

All I can suggest us to stick with it, sleep or rest when he is, cosleep during the day at least, feed on demand and don't try to put a routine in place. The most content babies are those who are fed when they're hungry. Forget about housework or anything else that means you're stressed or too busy to rest. This is the one time in your life when you should have your feet up as much as possible.

The gas and farts seem to be normal. Both of mine were like that in the early weeks.

Finally stop comparing your baby with your friends as it'll only drive you mad :P

Thanks. I know I shouldn't compare but it's hard when I feel everyone else is sleeping!

So is the "painful" farting normal? When any of the grandparents see him pull up his legs they tell me he had colic even though he doesn't really cry much (at the moment - i know it could kick off after 6 weeks) so I disagree!

Thanks. I know I shouldn't compare but it's hard when I feel everyone else is sleeping!

So is the "painful" farting normal? When any of the grandparents see him pull up his legs they tell me he had colic even though he doesn't really cry much (at the moment - i know it could kick off after 6 weeks) so I disagree!

Congrats on the new arrival!
    How strange is right. I second everything she said :)
    My little one fed exactly the same way until about 7or 8 weeks and then started sleeping 10 hours at night! There's no telling now what way your boy will go but one thing guaranteed is that you will soon get more than 2 hours. Could be 4 or 6 or 10 but it will improve.
    As regards the wind, does he seem in pain for a while before passing it or is it just while he's working through it? If it's just while he's farting I'd be grateful that he's able to take care of wind himself :)
    Is colic not excessive crying for no discernible reason? I feel like it's one of those things people say when a baby's giving out no matter what's wrong with them drives me mad! If you think he's suffering with it you could try the likes of gripe water, sitting him upright for a while after feeds etc. I'm sure the others on here have some good suggestions for wind. Follow your instincts though.

My son had 'colic' and cried every night for hours from 6-11 weeks and then he just stopped one night and it was over. There's degrees of colic and hysterical crying in the evening is one to worry about least. It's fairly common and it doesn't last past 12-13 weeks. I found gripe water and doing bicycle leg massages effective. Also putting the baby in a sling or carrier.

Don't let anyone tell you a breastfed baby can't have colic. They can but it's just not as bad as a formula fed baby as breastmilk is easier to digest and much lighter.

If you think your baby is in distress or pain with wind talk to your phn.

Grunting and snorting and kicking their legs up in the air seems to be something all babies do. We used to call our son a truffle pig because of the noise that came from his Moses basket.

Is colic not excessive crying for no discernible reason? I feel like it's one of those things people say when a baby's giving out no matter what's wrong with them drives me mad!

yes prolonged crying with wind suggests colic - at the moment my little fella doesn't really cry much at all (a little crabby in the evenings) but at a week and a half old he was a little whiny when my mother in law was holding him and she claimed he's "very colicky"!

I don't think he's in terrible pain, he doesn't really cry but whinges and grunts when he's working on a fart! Glad to hear it's normal.

Here's another one - up until a few days ago he was pooing after every feed, then over the past few days they started decreasing in frequency. Yesterday he only had 2 and none so far today. Is that normal at 5 weeks? Is he getting out of the "newborn"phase? They're bigger and have a slight aroma of sour milk too. Oh the joys!

• Advertisement

yes prolonged crying with wind suggests colic - at the moment my little fella doesn't really cry much at all (a little crabby in the evenings) but at a week and a half old he was a little whiny when my mother in law was holding him and she claimed he's "very colicky"!

I don't think he's in terrible pain, he doesn't really cry but whinges and grunts when he's working on a fart! Glad to hear it's normal.

Here's another one - up until a few days ago he was pooing after every feed, then over the past few days they started decreasing in frequency. Yesterday he only had 2 and none so far today. Is that normal at 5 weeks? Is he getting out of the "newborn"phase? They're bigger and have a slight aroma of sour milk too. Oh the joys!

I didn't think wind is a cause of colic. 'They' say they don't know the causes of excessive crying...whoever they are! But I guess there's varying opinions on that one.
    I wouldn't worry about the dirty nappies once he's not having trouble passing them. We'd often go a week or more without seeing one. Like that you'd notice if he was constipated. Oh I was so glad to move to solids cos the poos stopped smelling so sour lol :)

Advertisement