Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

olaola wrote: »
    My PHN directed me to this research by Dr J McKenna about co-sleeping: https://cosleeping.nd.edu/
    It might alleviate some fears!

Thank you Olaola... I will watch this tonight when my toddler is in bed :). I have to say... When I was so the hospital after giving birth and was getting no sleep coz L was feeding all night the midwife actually told me to co-sleep (I was really surprised). So for the 3 nights I was on we did this and I have I say it was so handy!! With my now toddler we didnt do this while on hospital which resulted in him getting a formula top up at night with the midwife. Never had to do this this time around yet...

By the way both of mine wanted out of my bed and into their basket/cot at 12 weeks so cosleeping full time at the start doesn't mean you'll be still sharing when she's 3! Both of mine also refused to get into my bed unless they were sick. I'm not into cosleeping long term but you have to do whatever gives you the most sleep at the start.

Ok that's good to know :). Some friends f mine have had problems getting their now toddlers out of their beds because they let them In at an early age. One of their kids is now 3 and they get no peace
    At night. That would've been a big concern of mine.

Sorry if this is too personal... But can I ask if your OH still sleeps in the bed while it co-sleeping? The couple times I've had to do it at home he slept in the spare room and te other time he stayed awake while we slept.... (I know that prob sounds silly.....). I don't think I would want to spend nights apart from him u less absolutely necessary... Wouldn't be too bad if I knew he could be in the bed beside me aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thank you Olaola... I will watch this tonight when my toddler is in bed :). I have to say... When I was so the hospital after giving birth and was getting no sleep coz L was feeding all night the midwife actually told me to co-sleep (I was really surprised). So for the 3 nights I was on we did this and I have I say it was so handy!! With my now toddler we didnt do this while on hospital which resulted in him getting a formula top up at night with the midwife. Never had to do this this time around yet...

My first night in hospital the midwife showed me a few latch positions, incl how to feed while lying down in bed. Which was a Godsend when he started clusterfeeding on night two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

If you're worried about co sleeping in your own bed, i can highly recommend a co sleeper cot that basically extends your bed, like a cot with the side removed and pushed on to your bed. It's the best thing i ever got for baby, they're close for breastfeeding, no bending over cot bars, but yet in their own space (so hubby can still play starfish...;-p)

Also, during the night I'd only change a nappy if it's pooey or very very wet, otherwise i usually wouldn't bother.

Thanks Galah. Maybe I should look into co-sleeping cots. They seem like a good investment.I bought some new silicon nuby bottles today. They meant to feel a little bit more like breast than other bottles so hopefully they might work... As it is I can barely go out the door without her because she won't take a bottle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We had no choice but to all share a bed. Keeping my daughter on my chest while I was secured (!!) with pillows meant I didn't have to worry about my husband rolling over on to her. I also had a cosleeper cot which we used as a side car until she was practically jumping out of it at 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

And one tip if you're looking for those cots - check out German amazon, amazon.de. they have a bigger selection of cheap co sleeper cots (the original baby bay ones sold here in Ireland are ridiculously overpriced) and they'll deliver to Ireland. I got ours for 90 quid and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Today was the first day where I had no screaming at my nipple, no gumming of my nipple, no tongue lashing back and forth just plain old regular feeding :)

I don't think I can explain how happy and relieved I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

This is my first time posting on this thread. Am due my 2nd baby in a few months and really want to give breast feeding a go again.
    I have a 14 month old and when he was born i was determined to breast feed. He had lost 10% of his birth weight by the time i was leaving the hospital after 2 nights and the hospital said that i would have to give him formula top ups because of this - basically said they would let me leave with him on condition i did this. I would have done anything to get out so said yep, no problem. First few days went ok (I think - its a bit of a blur) - was tough but he was feeding and latching on ok most of the time. PHN was a great support and told me to stop the top ups so that was fine too. I went back to her when he was a week old, as advised - it had been a tough day and i had booked a lactation consultant to come over to help me later that day. Basically Tom was screaming every time i put him to the boob, it was really hard to get him to latch on and it was all very stressful. But i visited her, he fed while i was there and she was happy and said he was gaining weight so all was good. But when i went home and the lactation consultant came, he was going nuts when i tried to get him to latch on. She basically said he was colicky and advised me to go to a craniosacral therapist and wasn't much help to be honest. I was so upset and just gave up that day as I couldn't handle the stress of it. I felt so guilty and upset and pumped for a few weeks supplementing with formula before moving to just formula.

Would really appreciate any advice for the next time. I know I'll be more relaxed about the whole thing and not as upset if it doesn't work but would really love it to!

Oh dear, you had quite a tough time of it. Unfortunately, as you found out, not all LCs are good or helpful. Some have been trained in their hospital to be the LC and they then decide to provide a private service as well but it doesn't mean they're very knowledgable. I met one of those with my son but thankfully a phn friend had given me a la Leche league training book and I got great advice from there so by the time she visited we were over the worst of it.

Losing up to 10% of weight is normal as they can lose fluid in the first day or two or they may have been bloated when they were born due to pain relief given to the mother. Another thing to make sure is that the same scales is used and the baby is weighed in an identical way ie in a nappy (new or wet), with or without a vest on. When you're talking about a tiny weight it's important that everything is exact.

Definitely seek out a local ciudiu or LLL breastfeeding group in your area and put the leaders numbers into your phone so you can call them if you need to.

Formula feeding and babies being exclusively fed formula from birth is so entrenched in Ireland that most healthcare professionals don't know what is biologically normal if a baby is being breastfed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Thanks How Strange, will definitely save a few numbers. Would appreciate if anyone could pass on the name and number of a lactation consultant that they've used and would recommend that serves the Kildare area too please (PM me). I also bought the Womanly Art of Breast feeding and read that before and while breast-feeding the last one. Any other books or recommendations would be great. I really hope that my next experience is different. Annoying thing is that i was enjoying it when it worked and I wasn't having too many issues in terms of sore nipples or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Second time around I told nurses in the hospital and the Phn that I was not to be bothered with charts and numbers. I got totally stressed first time with weighing baby and % of this and that, it made me doubt my ability to feed my child and I like you had to top up to get agreement to leave hospital. On my second I stayed in bed, co slept and fed around the clock. I left hospital a day early and went to bed at home and fed lying down. Everything went really well and it was at least six weeks before we started giving formula to give me a break once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Stay away from the dreaded charts. My daughter has been 'underweight' according to the 'professionals' from day 1. But yet shes healthy, so alert and at nearly 7 months shes crawling.

A mother knows her own baby and if there is something wrong. If they feed you a load of ****e about weight just smile and nod..unless you're worried about something obviously.

Healthcare professionals dont have a clue about breastfeeding. Im lookijg to have a great gp that really encouraged me. My daughter had colic for 3 months and used to just scream day in day out...if I heard baby gaviscon one more time from my phn I was going to explode. My gp took me off dairy and everything was sorted.

With breastfeeding there is always a solution so make sure you have support in place from someone who knows about breastfeeding and not just going to list off a loaf of medication that will just mask the problem.

Hello, im exclusively bf my 9 week old son. He is a great little sleeper at night but . . . . . I cant get him to take a nap during the day. He also feeds every 1-2 hrs. Any tips how to balance out the feeds? Thks My days are exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Sunnyspot wrote: »
    Hello, im exclusively bf my 9 week old son. He is a great little sleeper at night but . . . . . I cant get him to take a nap during the day. He also feeds every 1-2 hrs. Any tips how to balance out the feeds? Thks My days are exhausting.

I know you've heard it before but sleep when he sleeps, or at least rest. In another few weeks from about 12 weeks they do start to stretch well kind of anyway. I find a sling a lifesaver: they sleep longer up on you and you have hands free to get things done. I found the best thing to lengthen feeds was to be busy; go for a walk/drive and they start to stretch out naturally. I know it's utterly exhausting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Hello sunnyspot, my LO fed every 1 and hour consistently till 14 weeks and he fed for 45 mins at a time hence just 45 mins break in between feeds. hence I feel your pain but after 14 weeks he went in for longer and I was relieved. So it does get easier, I don't have any advice regarding stretching the feeds but just wanted to let you know it does get easier. It was exhausting 14 weeks to say the least.

All the Boob before and after collection has been reduced by 40% for today and tomorrow. I can't recommend these clothes enough if you're breastfeeding or pregnant and planning to. They hide the dreaded mummy tummy for the months after birth too.

http://shop.boobdesign.com/sv/product/312/amningslinne-before-after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

All the Boob before and after collection has been reduced by 40% for today and tomorrow. I can't recommend these clothes enough if you're breastfeeding or pregnant and planning to. They hide the dreaded mummy tummy for the months after birth too.

http://shop.boobdesign.com/sv/product/312/amningslinne-before-after

Love these tops! One of mine has holes in it so time to get a new one, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Re the naps, he might be a bit small yet but have you tried side lying nursing in bed during the day? Even if you don't get to sleep, at least it's a bit of rest. Once you get the knack, it can be very comfortable. At 7 months, I still try to do one daytime feed in bed lying down. I find the bedroom is a great chill out zone. If you stay downstairs, it's impossible not to think about housework etc.

Sunnyspot congrats on your little boy. I wouldn't stress too much about daytime napping at 9 weeks. It'll all come together over the next few months. I used to take my daughter into bed with me during the day and she'd fall asleep. My son refused to nap anywhere except the buggy so we went to parks and shopping centres quite a lot.

Both fell into a regular nap routine around 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

I can see upper tooth and he is 16 weeks :eek: I m super excited!
    I feel difference when he sucking now :confused: anyone else with teething this early?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Is anyone else having a tough time with the 4 month sleep regression? My son is coming up to 20 weeks and the last few weeks have been the hardest of my life hands down. The newborn stage was a walk in the park compared to this. I don't remember my first son going through this but he was formula fed so maybe that's the difference. The last few days in particular I've been seriously contemplating changing to formula, but I haven't got the energy to even attempt it.

I'd love to hear others experiences and how you got through it.

Yes I found it was the worst time on both babies. I think there's a drop in the good, happy hormones too. At least I felt there was so I was exhausted and feeling quite down at times. You just have to rest whenever you get the chance and go to bed early. Forget the housework etc. It's a phase (a particular tough one!) but it will pass. I also started taking a good tonic around this time to counteract the exhaustion and I found it helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Bagheera wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a tough time with the 4 month sleep regression? My son is coming up to 20 weeks and the last few weeks have been the hardest of my life hands down. The newborn stage was a walk in the park compared to this. I don't remember my first son going through this but he was formula fed so maybe that's the difference. The last few days in particular I've been seriously contemplating changing to formula, but I haven't got the energy to even attempt it.

It was awful and I wanted to give up breastfeeding too!! He is 6 months now and wakes around 3 for an hour or more. No idea what I've done wrong! Should have passed by now. I'm wore out but I feel much better than when we were in the middle of it cos slot of it did pass!!! I'm vitamin d deficient and just found out so I was wore out. Might be worth taking some vitamins or something and get your partner or someone to help at night! There's nights I couldn't deal with him!! And my husband did! Good luck!

Hey guys looking for opinions!

I am down to 2 breast feeds with my 6 month old. Around 6am and 11am. I am going to a hen weekend fri lunch time. Do people think I would be ok to express late afternoon on the Saturday and sunday? Or would I end up being too sore? We have to be out early the sat for activities so might be unlikely to have time to do it the sat morn! Just lppkon for ppls opinions/ experiences! Thanks

I am down to 2 breast feeds with my 6 month old. Around 6am and 11am. I am going to a hen weekend fri lunch time. Do people think I would be ok to express late afternoon on the Saturday and sunday? Or would I end up being too sore? We have to be out early the sat for activities so might be unlikely to have time to do it the sat morn! Just lppkon for ppls opinions/ experiences! Thanks

I'd try feed before you leave and then express late sat evening. You may have to pump before you go to bed Saturday night and then once more Sunday morning. I was feeding a lot more at 6 months and I went for 2 nights away. I pumped sat evening, again before bed, the next morning, that evening, before bed and the next morning. However I'm very prone to mastitis so I always had to be careful.

Just see how you feel on the day but don't ignore any signs of being over full. Enjoy your weekend away :)

I'd try feed before you leave and then express late sat evening. You may have to pump before you go to bed Saturday night and then once more Sunday morning. I was feeding a lot more at 6 months and I went for 2 nights away. I pumped sat evening, again before bed, the next morning, that evening, before bed and the next morning. However I'm very prone to mastitis so I always had to be careful.

Just see how you feel on the day but don't ignore any signs of being over full. Enjoy your weekend away :)

Thanks a mill!! Ill be feeding him before i go and hopefully express both sides the sat evenin after our activities! If I feel full the Sunday morning ill express if not ill wait til I get home.

Cant wait! This is my first time leaving jack and havent left emily in over a year!!! Or my husband. Ill miss them like mad. But looking forward to me time and girl time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Bagheera wrote: »

Been there, really thought this was my life for the next 9 months, no bath, no adult time, nothing just lie on my side with baby attached!

If it is at all possible , think of it as your baby conditioning you so at 6 month you can whip out your boobs and feed him a 8oz 2 boob feed in 20 mins. (8oz based on what you might pump if you pumped, no idea what actually goes in!)

He is putting in an advance order for double the volume that he is feeding at the moment and the way he is going to do that is to be glued to your boobs until the lactating chemicals kick in and start making double the milk.

If you can at all, take to your bed, lie on your side, let him feed and sleep beside you, bring a library of books or mags and have a bed in for 3 days, that may be enough to get you over the hump!

Best of luck.

Advertisement