Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Before I say this I want to say that I definitely don't recommend this to any parent as I'm very aware if SIDS advice but my daughter cried and cried and cried for 14 weeks. It wasn't colic as my son had that but it was purple crying and she did have wind problems in the middle of the night. On top of that her startle reflex was so strong it kept waking her up when she was asleep in her back.

She was very happy to sleep on me for 12 weeks but around 13th week she didn't want to do that anymore and I was at a complete loss. My mam said to try her on her side but she kept rolling into her back. One morning by complete accident I roller her onto her tummy when she was in bed with me. She was out for the count so I decided to leave her and keep an eye on her. She slept for 3 hours straight that morning which was unheard of. Ever since she's slept on her tummy. At first I was petrified but my mam says that's how we all slept. However she literally couldn't and still can't sleep on her back.

She was always a strong baby and could lift her head at 12 weeks so I was somewhat reassured by that.

Unfortunately babies come with their own in built likes and dislikes and if they only like sleeping on their sides or backs then what can you do? Of course I always the phn she sleeps on her back just like I told her we did the whole purée thing when we started weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My guy is certainly even more content on his tummy but I'm too scared to let him sleep like that unsupervised. He loves a nap on his daddy's chest in the morning. Also loves his naked tummy time everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you all very much for the replies, its definitely encouraging. He is now back to one and half hour feed, thank. goodness half an hour feeds period is passed, I assume it was growth spurt. Is one and a half hour too frequent as well? He feeds one breast at a time at one feed. Even if I offer second, he won't take it, hence I alternate between feeds, is it normal? I am not sure if this will reduce supply. I have spoken to la leche league support, they were extremely helpful, I am also going to their next meet. Hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I also fed only from one side and never had problems . I think (as far as I remember) it was recommended cos she had short feeds. No problems with supply or anything. I bet you the 1 and hAlf hr feeds will start to turn into longer ones too. No harm to speak to phn or laleche counsellor or equivalent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a seriously painful boob... Seriously. No lumps or bumps but combined with a temp off to doc in morn for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

cyning wrote: »
    I have a seriously painful boob... Seriously. No lumps or bumps but combined with a temp off to doc in morn for me :(

Hope you got on ok at the doc!

Jack will be 5 months on the 19th and I've decide no formula until then at least as I have some milk in the freezer I can use for my breaks or nights off. I feel happy about this. I will re evaluate then.

Kept me awake for 4 hours last night! Exhausted! Hopin he settles soon. Have osteopath on Thursday so hopefull he will get help!

Injections in the mornin. He was off form for 10 days the last time! Poor little man.

Jack will be 5 months on the 19th and I've decide no formula until then at least as I have some milk in the freezer I can use for my breaks or nights off. I feel happy about this. I will re evaluate then.

Kept me awake for 4 hours last night! Exhausted! Hopin he settles soon. Have osteopath on Thursday so hopefull he will get help!

Injections in the mornin. He was off form for 10 days the last time! Poor little man.

Oh that's great Red Fraggle... It's tough going with them sometimes.

No idea what the problem with my boob is... No lumps bumps redness etc: it seems like she isn't clearing the boobs with her feeding so need to do laid back for every feed which is easier said than done with a 21month old! Kept her up in sling today so less puking she only needed 3 changes of clothes ;)

cyning it could be that you need to teach her how to latch on and feed properly now that the tie is snipped. Is there a ciudiu or LLL near you where you could go and have a chat with a counsellor?

Fair play red fraggle. Take everyday as it comes.

We're in the middle of sleep training. Last night was her second with no feeds after 7pm. She was very upset for 2 hours from 2.30am but we kept comforting her. It's tough in the short term but I can't cope with the lack of sleep for much longer. I can count on one hand how many full nights sleep I've had in 11 months.

• Advertisement

No idea what the problem with my boob is... No lumps bumps redness etc: it seems like she isn't clearing the boobs with her feeding so need to do laid back for every feed which is easier said than done with a 21month old! Kept her up in sling today so less puking she only needed 3 changes of clothes ;)

I remember having to change Jack 3 or 4 times in the early days! Now I might get 2 or 3 days out of the same clothes!! If i'm really lucky!!

I remember having to change Jack 3 or 4 times in the early days! Now I might get 2 or 3 days out of the same clothes!! If i'm really lucky!!

The nurse in my docs is a lactation consultant so she spent ages with me today... So we had best feed we've ever had :) were hoping that as she learns to use her tongue properly that will all improve.

That's great about the night weaning how strange... Fingers crossed it's even better again tonight. S is a much better sleeper than C ever was (still is!) so hoping that lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's tough in the short term but I can't cope with the lack of sleep for much longer. I can count on one hand how many full nights sleep I've had in 11 months.

Snap. Only I've lasted seven months. Last night I gave in at 4.30am and brought baby into the bed, fed off and on for two hours but I think it was comfort. Still a vast improvement as we're now getting a good few hours so we can have a night out the odd time.

S hasn't pooed since Wed. I know after 6 weeks that can be normal but not before that. I had so many problems with constipation with C when she was a baby (and breastfed!) I'm paranoid about poo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Perfectly normal, but maybe some gently tummy massages might help? Prepare for a mudslide though!

She's only 3 weeks and has had a tongue tie revised... I have an underactive thyroid and lower supply than last time too. I guess I know it can be normal but having been through it with my first baby it can also be a sign that there's something wrong. I'm doing all the usual and trying to get her to feed more often. Just worried :( probably unnecessarily

I've been pumping about 2-3 oz every day so my oh can give her a bottle on alternate nights at bedtime. Must have gone a bit overboard last night cos a woke up at 5 with boobs hard as rocks and sore as anything. Haven't had that since the early days. Had to get up sterilise and pump to relieve it. Baby and dad were still happily sleeping :-) night feeds without the baby are not something I'm gonna be making a habit of!

My baby is 9 weeks old now. Till now there were some or other appointments hence I was able to get his weight checked frequently. He has consistently gained fine. There are no more appointments other then vaccinations. First time mom hence can't stop worrying whether he has gained. Every time I pick him up I find him lighter even when he had gained lots :confused:
    Walk ins in local health centre have ceased due to shortage of staff, it will be appointment if I was VERY worried they said.
    So now my question is, how do you get babies weight done, or you don't at all?
    If I had in my hands, I would weight my every half week, I know I shouldn't :rolleyes:

Have you a local phn run breastfeeding group? I used always get C weighed there: not least because I wanted to write it in her baby book... But in all fairness I was paranoid she wasn't gaining weight. And she was: she was 7 15 born and 20 5 at 5months! It's just that you get more used to holding the weight.

• Advertisement

Thank you cyning. Well I have contacted le leche group but not sure I could get the weight get done there, I don't know they have scales there. I will have to ask about breastfeeding group to public health nurse then.

What about using a bathroom scales to get a rough idea? Just make sure you do it around the same time and wearing roughly the same clothes if you're holding the baby. Chances are he is putting on weight if he has up to now and it might be enough to give you peace of mind.

Thankfully both of mine thrived and noticeably put on weight consistently however my daughter was ... em... thriving so much that I used to weigh her on the bathroom scales every few weeks out of curiosity to see how much weight she'd put on.

Any scales will be reliable once you use it a few times and when they baby is undressed/dressed in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

I find the bathroom scales not great for weighing baby to be honest - I went through a phase of weighing my little one every week (first I would stand on the scales twice to get my weight then I would lift LO into my arms and weight both of us together calculating that the difference was LO's weight). However when I got her weighed properly by PHN she was a completely different weight - don't know if it was my bad calculations or not but I gave up weighing her after that :rolleyes: I think you can stress yourself out by weighing them too regularly. Our LO has had silent reflux recently. I mentioned to my GP that I thought she had lost weight because of it and asked if she would weight her - she said she wouldn't and would only weight her in a few weeks when her medicine started to work (she obviously knew I was stressing!) As long as baby is having lots of wet nappies and is alert and full of beans I really wouldn't worry (easier said than done I know :D:D:D)

Watch the baby and not the scales!

Soooky wrote: »
    I find the bathroom scales not great for weighing baby to be honest - I went through a phase of weighing my little one every week (first I would stand on the scales twice to get my weight then I would lift LO into my arms and weight both of us together calculating that the difference was LO's weight). However when I got her weighed properly by PHN she was a completely different weight - don't know if it was my bad calculations or not but I gave up weighing her after that :rolleyes: I think you can stress yourself out by weighing them too regularly. Our LO has had silent reflux recently. I mentioned to my GP that I thought she had lost weight because of it and asked if she would weight her - she said she wouldn't and would only weight her in a few weeks when her medicine started to work (she obviously knew I was stressing!) As long as baby is having lots of wet nappies and is alert and full of beans I really wouldn't worry (easier said than done I know :D:D:D)

I think I'd only use the bathroom scales as an indicator that it's increasing more so than as the definitive weight of the child. As you say, two scales can often give different weights. I agree though that wet nappies are the best indication and trusting your instincts. You will know if the baby's not getting enough.

Thank you all for the replies. Appreciate it very much. My bathroom scales give few grams + or - anyways. Hence if I have to use those, I will be waiting a few weeks coz every week it would be anyways few grams and stress me out more. I guess I will have to stick to wet nappies and content.

I can't stop asking questions, here's another one :D do you guys worry about supply if he feeds less frequently during night. I wake him up if he sleeps for too long and feed him. He feeds on one breast at a time. During the day it's fine as he feeds every one a half hour hence 3 hourly for each breast but longer in night may be 3 hour or a bit more. Would it reduce my supply? Last feed before he sleeps in night he seems hungry, May be not getting enough, that's the only time he takes both breasts. I am bothering you guys with too many questions :( apologies for it. But your experiences would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

kknitter wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies. Appreciate it very much. My bathroom scales give few grams + or - anyways. Hence if I have to use those, I will be waiting a few weeks coz every week it would be anyways few grams and stress me out more. I guess I will have to stick to wet nappies and content.

I can't stop asking questions, here's another one :D do you guys worry about supply if he feeds less frequently during night. I wake him up if he sleeps for too long and feed him. He feeds on one breast at a time. During the day it's fine as he feeds every one a half hour hence 3 hourly for each breast but longer in night may be 3 hour or a bit more. Would it reduce my supply? Last feed before he sleeps in night he seems hungry, May be not getting enough, that's the only time he takes both breasts. I am bothering you guys with too many questions :( apologies for it. But your experiences would help a lot.

Don't be apologising everyone has questions. Your supply will always adjust to meet your sons needs. If he's taking both breasts at bed time let him sleep. Once babies are healthy and happy there is no need to wake during the night. You'll find yourself fuller when he does wake, make sure you've breast pads on in case of leak.

Thank you very much Imullen, that's so very reassuring. Appreciate all your help.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry about a 9 week old sleeping longer at night. He's obviously getting enough during the day and your supply will just adapt to the change.

I used to sleep with my bra on with pads inside and with a towel beside me just in case I leaked from being overfill but that feeling only lasts a few days.

Advertisement