Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Hi all my friend is currently working in England and his passport is nearly out of date! He's home Friday night until Tuesday evening and won't be home again until the passport is nearly expired! Can he go down to cork and get it down there on the same day? Or even of he went down Friday/Monday would it be ready Tuesday! All advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

LostGirly wrote: »
    Hi all my friend is currently working in England and his passport is nearly out of date! He's home Friday night until Tuesday evening and won't be home again until the passport is nearly expired! Can he go down to cork and get it down there on the same day? Or even of he went down Friday/Monday would it be ready Tuesday! All advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 working days, if they live in the uk they should apply in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Dude240502

If you apply for a replacement Passport, even if it was the second Passport that you had lost, I spoke to a person in the Passport Office that told me that it is still possible the receive the replacement Passport before the ten days, that is at the discretion of the deciding Officer, that if he is convinced, that it is still possible, does anyone know of any type of situation other than a family death that'd be a reason for the replacement to be received before the ten days, they said that it can be done so it definitely is possible, is there anyone that ever worked in the Passport Office that ever heard of a reason other than a family death that'd be accepted as a reason, I'd appreciate any suggestions at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Dude240502 wrote: »
    If you apply for a replacement Passport, even if it was the second Passport that you had lost, I spoke to a person in the Passport Office that told me that it is still possible the receive the replacement Passport before the ten days, that is at the discretion of the deciding Officer, that if he is convinced, that it is still possible, does anyone know of any type of situation other than a family death that'd be a reason for the replacement to be received before the ten days, they said that it can be done so it definitely is possible, is there anyone that ever worked in the Passport Office that ever heard of a reason other than a family death that'd be accepted as a reason, I'd appreciate any suggestions at all?

Just responded to your pm there, best of luck

Even if it wasn't a death or an illness, is there any other type of situation that'd be considered a family emergency, did anyone ever have an experience of this?

• Advertisement

Even if it wasn't a death or an illness, is there any other type of situation that'd be considered a family emergency, did anyone ever have an experience of this?

Sometimes, they will do their best if its a wedding, its rare though. Two lost passports is very serious, especially if they are both in date. Its not a case of them punishing you, its just it requires extra checks, which is not always possible to do in 3 working days.

There's no offense intended here, but I get the impression you're looking for ideas to tell them a story to get your passport in a hurry. They will check in detail any story you tell them, and its in your best interest not to lie to them. If they find out you were just lying to them, they're not going to be as helpful.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    There's no offense intended here, but I get the impression you're looking for ideas to tell them a story to get your passport in a hurry. They will check in detail any story you tell them, and its in your best interest not to lie to them. If they find out you were just lying to them, they're not going to be as helpful.

If anyone does have any ideas, I'd be desperate to hear them?

3 working days, if they live in the uk they should apply in the uk.

Not living anywhere really at the moment! He works for ten or so days (6am - 10pm) and then he comes home for 2 or 3 days and he's gone again! Usually home at weekends! This is the first time in months he's home on a week day! Will it really take that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LostGirly wrote: »
    Not living anywhere really at the moment! He works for ten or so days (6am - 10pm) and then he comes home for 2 or 3 days and he's gone again! Usually home at weekends! This is the first time in months he's home on a week day! Will it really take that long?
    by the way, if they are flying with Aer Lingus (or anyone except Ryanair) then a driving licence will do as ID.
    And on the boat, Irish or British dont need ID at all.

Just saying it as the panic to get a new Passport might be all in vein if they only need it for travel to/ from the UK .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If you are looking for ideas of a tale to spin for the PO, please refrain from posting in this thread again.

This thread exists to assist posters who are in genuine need of help and/or advice with the passport process. You are merely someone careless who is willing to lie to put yourself ahead of those with a genuine need.

by the way, if they are flying with Aer Lingus (or anyone except Ryanair) then a driving licence will do as ID.

Just saying it as the panic to get a new Passport might be all in vein if they only need it for travel to/ from the UK .

Unfortunately it's Ryanair they're flying with so he needs it! Think hell just have to go pled his case on Monday and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HBA10

Anybody had any experience with Passport Express recently? They received my application on the 13th of June and little over a week later the status of my application hasn't changed from being registered. Is this usual?

The issue date is the 27th and I'm just wondering what my chances are of receiving my passport then? (considering my application has still got various steps to go through before its completed).

Thanks in advance

HBA10 wrote: »
    Anybody had any experience with Passport Express recently? They received my application on the 13th of June and little over a week later the status of my application hasn't changed from being registered. Is this usual?

The issue date is the 27th and I'm just wondering what my chances are of receiving my passport then? (considering my application has still got various steps to go through before its completed).

Thanks in advance

Don't worry too much, for most of the ten working days the application sits in the system waiting to be processed. A straightforward application can be processed quite quickly and the sent to be printed. It only takes 10 days because of the volume of applications. The quickest one I ever did, I received the application at 10am, it was printed and posted by 4pm. There doesn't seemto be a backlog at the moment, so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HBA10

Don't worry too much, for most of the ten working days the application sits in the system waiting to be processed. A straightforward application can be processed quite quickly and the sent to be printed. It only takes 10 days because of the volume of applications. The quickest one I ever did, I received the application at 10am, it was printed and posted by 4pm. There doesn't seemto be a backlog at the moment, so you should be fine.

Thanks alot for the reply :) Hopefully it's here on Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

My passport has expired!!

Can I book a flight to Spain without a valid passport number?

Sending away soon as, but if I have to wait till its back I'll never be able to afford the flight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You don't need a passport number to book a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

I thought since you had to fill in Advanced Passenger Information I might not be able to!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

What he said.
    You don't need a passport number to
    book a flight.

If you call them they can bypass that part for you. You will need it in time to do online checkin if that's what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

youngblood wrote: »
    I thought since you had to fill in Advanced Passenger Information I might not be able to!

Cheers!
    You can add your API details at any time on most airlines using the manage booking facility, they're not required as part of booking. With Ryanair, they get the details for the API by default as part of their online checkin process anyway.

Sometimes, they will do their best if its a wedding, its rare though. Two lost passports is very serious, especially if they are both in date. Its not a case of them punishing you, its just it requires extra checks, which is not always possible to do in 3 working days.

If you knew a TD personally, do you think there is anything they'd be able to do to expedite the application, it definitely used to be very easy for them to do, does anyone know if it still happens, I know it isn't as easy as it used to be, if you knew the TD personally, as a favour, do you think there is anything they could do?

If you knew a TD personally, do you think there is anything they'd be able to do to expedite the application, it definitely used to be very easy for them to do, does anyone know if it still happens, I know it isn't as easy as it used to be, if you knew the TD personally, as a favour, do you think there is anything they could do?

No, you lost your passport and unfortunately you will not get it expedited. For me, that is the end of it. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but thats the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Hey guys.

I'm planning to fly to Budapest on the 11th July and just today noticed that my passport has expired. :o

If I pop into the Post Office tomorrow morning and apply via Passport Express, will it get here in time? Or should I just drive to Cork tomorrow?

Also, what documents will the PO require?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yes they can expedite it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 popgun

Hi
    Just wondering, I've sent away for my new passport and I'm wondering when it comes back will it be in registered post that i will have to sign for or will it be just normal post?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

popgun wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering, I've sent away for my new passport and I'm wondering when it comes back will it be in registered post that i will have to sign for or will it be just normal post?

A signature is not required.
    There will be a sticker on the back of the envelope with two labels of the tracking number barcodes. The postman will take one of the labels and keep it in a book when he delivers the passport. You don't need to be at home when it is delivered. It can just be put into your letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 popgun

emanresu wrote: »
    A signature is not required.
    There will be a sticker on the back of the envelope with two labels of the tracking number barcodes. The postman will take one of the labels and keep it in a book when he delivers the passport. You don't need to be at home when it is delivered. It can just be put into your letterbox.

Thanks a million for your reply. That will save me a lot of hassle.

Yes they can expedite it.

Yes they can, but not usually when somebody has lost two passports.

• Advertisement

Yes they can, but not usually when somebody has lost two passports.

Do you think it'd even be worth a try?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement