Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

But you say that an emergency passport for a child is €55..?

Actually I hadn't noticed that, I took the price list straight from passport.ie, where it also says emergency passports will be issued to adults only, however to the best of my memory, that price list is from April 2011, the rule relating to children's emergency passports came in after that, must've never been updated.
    Out of Office Hours Duty Officer Emergency Service

Please note that during out of normal office hours the Duty Officer can only issue a temporary passport to adults only, provided the applicant has shown a previous passport

Passports can not be issued to first time applicants and children or those who are reporting their passport lost or stolen, save in exceptional circumstances e.g. emergency medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Hi there,hope this is the right place to post.

I have been offered a position in The US (quite unexpectedly). In order to accept I need to provide copies of my passport (which needs o be in date for 3 years) spray they can begin processing my VISA.

The only issue is that my passport expires at the beginning of September. Given that I travel within the Eurozone as part of my work at least once per week, I was waiting for my three weeks holiday in July renew my passport. However now I need one by Wednesday at the latest.

Can anyone tell me whether or not it would be possible to Get a passport renewed in one day ie when the passport office reopens on Monday?

I need to let my potential employers know the full story so would appreciate any responses. I obviously have details of offer and VISA requirement documentation on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Monday is a bank holiday, so it will be Tuesday before they're open again.

Emergency passports are usually for things like family emergencies:
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

However, as your passport expires within 6 months, you can hang onto your current passport, and just send them a photocopy (I just did this a few weeks ago).

That way you can still travel on your current passport while waiting for the new one to arrive. Passport Express (at the post office) is the cheapest and fastest way to renew. It takes 10 days + postage time either side, so if you get your photos organised and signed at a garda station over the weekend, get into the post office Tuesday, you'll have your new passport around June 20th.

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to have a new passport by Wednesday. You can send your new employer the details from the passport site.
    The timeline for processing passports with proof of immediate travel while not guaranteed is 3 working days other than where travel is necessitated by the death or illness of a family member. An additional fee may apply.
    From that, even if you have proof of immediate travel, if you get into the passport office first thing Tuesday morning, I wouldn't bank on having your new one before Thursday evening/Friday morning.

Is the Wednesday deadline the date you next need to fly, or the date the company wants to start processing the Visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not a chance given you have a current passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

Im in a spot of bother here overseas and without my passport now. Have got onto the relevant embassy and they need to contact Dublin to see if they can issue an emergency travel document. Anyone know what the procedure for that is? How soon can I get that if they approve it, thanks

• Advertisement

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

in Costa Rica, no embassy there, not sure if the British Embassy here is authorised to issue one

The British embassy can issue documents to Irish citizens where there is no embassy.
    The nearest Irish embassy is in Mexico City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DanMcC

I recently lost my passport and have filled out the application for an express passport and had it stamped and the photos by the gardai. I was going to send it away today however I just found out that my parents have booked me a flight over to the Ireland vs Italy game on the 18th for my birthday. The express would not be through on time though, is there any way I can get a passport in time to travel?? I'v heard about the emergency ones but with my passport being lost would I be entitled to one?

DanMcC wrote: »
    I recently lost my passport and have filled out the application for an express passport and had it stamped and the photos by the gardai. I was going to send it away today however I just found out that my parents have booked me a flight over to the Ireland vs Italy game on the 18th for my birthday. The express would not be through on time though, is there any way I can get a passport in time to travel?? I'v heard about the emergency ones but with my passport being lost would I be entitled to one?

The main question is, have you lost one before, if so, is it still in date. If you have two current lost passports, no you will not get one on time. If you only have one, go to the passport office in Dublin or Cork with the filled out application, photos, proof of travel, photo id and two forms of proof of address, you should get it on time then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Do I need a passport to fly to Manchester with Flybe or will my driving license suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Driving License - just make sure the plane doesn't skid off the runway first.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

Hi,

Just to clarify I have checked passport section before posting and to my understanding I was unable to get an answer.

I have 1 month left on my passport and am in the process of renewing it and it explains on the documents accompanying the form that you return your current passport with the renewal application.

But on the website it states:

With effect from 9th January 2012 the Passport Service will only accept photocopies in respect of passports with six months or less validity on the date of application. Where a passport has 6 plus months validity this must be submitted with the application.

So to my understanding by this I do not send my passport as only a photocopy is required.

Can anyone should any light on this as what is the correct option to adhere to.

Many thanks in advance.

Dermondo wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to clarify I have checked passport section before posting and to my understanding I was unable to get an answer.

I have 1 month left on my passport and am in the process of renewing it and it explains on the documents accompanying the form that you return your current passport with the renewal application.

But on the website it states:

With effect from 9th January 2012 the Passport Service will only accept photocopies in respect of passports with six months or less validity on the date of application. Where a passport has 6 plus months validity this must be submitted with the application.

So to my understanding by this I do not send my passport as only a photocopy is required.

Can anyone should any light on this as what is the correct option to adhere to.

Many thanks in advance.

You're best off sending it in with your application, unless you need to travel urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I sent off my passport app using passport express. It has gone through all the various stages on the tracking system and yesterday it said passport printed. However today the status is blank. It has issue date down as 07/06 which was showing on the system from the start when app was submitted. But no status is showing now.

Due to collect passport from passport office tomorrow as they advised last week, but should I be concerned that there is no status showing now, or have ppl seen this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lafemmedargent

Hi there. I wonder if someone could bestow me with some advice tonight. just acquired tickets for all Irish group games in the euros unexpectantly. Problem is that my passport expired well over a year ago and is subsequently lost. The first Irish group game is on Sunday. Probably unreasonable to expect an acquisition of a passport by then. I understand if proof of immediate travel is submitted it should take between 3-5 days. I plan to travel to Dublin tomorrow with relavent forms etc etc.. including ssigned witness lost section. It states 3-5 days. Not working days. is this correct or am i being overly hopeful? If i booked flights tonight to submit along with passport application what would be the earliest date you think i could get to Poland and have the passport in time? Thanks

Hi there. I wonder if someone could bestow me with some advice tonight. just acquired tickets for all Irish group games in the euros unexpectantly. Problem is that my passport expired well over a year ago and is subsequently lost. The first Irish group game is on Sunday. Probably unreasonable to expect an acquisition of a passport by then. I understand if proof of immediate travel is submitted it should take between 3-5 days. I plan to travel to Dublin tomorrow with relavent forms etc etc.. including ssigned witness lost section. It states 3-5 days. Not working days. is this correct or am i being overly hopeful? If i booked flights tonight to submit along with passport application what would be the earliest date you think i could get to Poland and have the passport in time? Thanks

It's 3 working days minimum unfortunately. You must bring along proof of travel. If you go in tomorrow, you will be issued your passport for the day before you travel (still 3 working days minimum)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lafemmedargent

mmcn90 wrote: »
    It's 3 working days minimum unfortunately. You must bring along proof of travel. If you go in tomorrow, you will be issued your passport for the day before you travel (still 3 working days minimum)

Would this be Tuesday or Wednesday you think? Also would I be collecting it from the office or delivery? Many thanks.

Would this be Tuesday or Wednesday you think? Also would I be collecting it from the office or delivery? Many thanks.

Hey, I reckon it would be wednesday and collection from the office. Enjoy the euro's, I'm well jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Samanthawho

I had to send my passport away with my daughters passport, as it is her first one. I forgot i had a trip to Liverpool booked with Ryanair. Is sent it 4 weeks ago, it is still not on the system and i am suppose to be going next Friday. Ryanair will not take driving licenses...what if i go to the garda station on Thursday and declare it lost? Would Ryanair take this? I asked the girl from the office if i could get anything temporary and she said no..

• Advertisement

I had to send my passport away with my daughters passport, as it is her first one. I forgot i had a trip to Liverpool booked with Ryanair. Is sent it 4 weeks ago, it is still not on the system and i am suppose to be going next Friday. Ryanair will not take driving licenses...what if i go to the garda station on Thursday and declare it lost? Would Ryanair take this? I asked the girl from the office if i could get anything temporary and she said no..

I take it you sent it by standard post, never a good idea. Did you keep hold of the reference number?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Hey, anyone got a passport issed in the last coupla weeks or who in passport office able to help me out? I sent passport app (with old passport) last Tuesday, received at passport office on wednesday and the tracker says (to date) that it's received and registered with an issue dae of 19/06/2011. How often are the targets being metnow?!? I'd imagine there's been alot of emergency passport within the last week with ppl travelling to Poland and that's prob still continuing?!?! If there are no problems with what I've submitted, should my passport actually issue on the 19th?! I'm flying out to Spain (hoping to) early on Thursday (21st) morn so will need passport on Wednesday, 20th....*eeek* Silly me leaving things to the last minute. I've also submitted proof of flight with application in case that makes a difference!? When should I see things changing on the tracker that would indicate the process is going smoothly!? It's "received and registered" for over 2 working days now, is that normal, and on time?!

PS - any similiar stories or advice very welcome :) Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ihopethisfi

Hi ,
    in a worrying situation at the moment. booked the flights for poland with a mate on about the 20th of may. I'm only after realising that my passport is lost as i always have it in the same place and it just disappeared . NO_WHERE in the house! Now the big problem is that this is my 2nd passport to lose. i lost my 1st in 2011 and the last emergency one i got was in sep 11 and i had it got in a day and i thought it would be the same for this one. im after ringing the passport office today and theyre telling me i might not have it in 3 days if i go to dublin monday becauseits my 2nd one to lose. Does anyone know what chances i have of getting it for wed if i go up monday if i bring my euro tickets as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

They can usually get you a new passport in 3-5 days as an emergency but after losing a previous one it might not be as easy as that.

There's now a load of extra documentation needed with the applicaion form when you have a lost passport and they may also call you for an interview.

Check out www.passport.ie All the information you need should be there.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ihopethisfi

do you think if i go up with the ITA IRE tickets as well and tell them i have everything booked and i need it for wed they will be lenieant and give me one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

do you think if i go up with the ITA IRE tickets as well and tell them i have everything booked and i need it for wed they will be lenieant and give me one?

Possibly it depends, however they take a dim view of people who keep "losing" their passports. If you know your local garda and are on good terms with him it maybe no harm to explain it to him incase you need someone to vouch for you. Passports are important and need to be minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Stinicker wrote: »
    Possibly it depends, however they take a dim view of people who keep "losing" their passports. If you know your local garda and are on good terms with him it maybe no harm to explain it to him incase you need someone to vouch for you. Passports are important and need to be minded.

That's a really good idea if you can manage it.

I'm not sure about leniency, as far as I know the 3-5 days is what it takes to actually make the passport. I think they usually only give them out quicker if it's an actual emergency like bereavement etc

Hi ,
    in a worrying situation at the moment. booked the flights for poland with a mate on about the 20th of may. I'm only after realising that my passport is lost as i always have it in the same place and it just disappeared . NO_WHERE in the house! Now the big problem is that this is my 2nd passport to lose. i lost my 1st in 2011 and the last emergency one i got was in sep 11 and i had it got in a day and i thought it would be the same for this one. im after ringing the passport office today and theyre telling me i might not have it in 3 days if i go to dublin monday becauseits my 2nd one to lose. Does anyone know what chances i have of getting it for wed if i go up monday if i bring my euro tickets as well?

Is the one you lost in 2011 still in date? If you have two lost passports still in date you haven't a hope of getting one in less than ten days. Also the one that you receive will be a two year passport. Sorry for the bad news, but those are the rules. If the one you lost in 2011 is expired you should be ok.

Stinicker wrote: »

Its not a question of the guard vouching for you, if you have two lost passports the application goes into a different box as extra checking is required. The amount of Irish people who lose their passports is ridiculous, when I worked there over 30,000 people lost their passports that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

Hi! My younger cousin had a holiday booked to go abroad next Thursday and it turns out her passport is expired. She is doing the leaving cert right now so I was wondering is it OK for another person to go to the office and put in her application? Also, can the passports be collected from the office or do you have to wait for them to be posted?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement