Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hi! My younger cousin had a holiday booked to go abroad next Thursday and it turns out her passport is expired. She is doing the leaving cert right now so I was wondering is it OK for another person to go to the office and put in her application? Also, can the passports be collected from the office or do you have to wait for them to be posted?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hi,

Its no problem having someone else going into the office to make the application, just remember to bring proof of travel. The passport must be collected. Is she over 18? If she is, she must sign the back of the receipt saying she is happy for X to collect her passport if she can't collect it herself. If she isn't, her parents must collect it, or do as above with the receipt. It will take 10 working days, or be issued for the day before travel, whichever is less (minimum 3 working days).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

Thanks a million!

Thanks a million!

no problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'm worried about my passport. I send in the application a couple of weeks today and I've been tracking it online. Today was meant to be the date of issue but the status only changed to being checked yesterday. I'm travelling on the 25th so I need it soon. If something is wrong with it and it comes back, is it the passport office that I go to to get an emergency passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

I have to go in and pick up my passport from the dublin office on friday as i am flying out on monday. What time should i que at to get it early enough. What documents should i bring id address etc? I rang today and it is due to be sent out on friday but the man changed it to collection. Should i be alri for monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

in toronto at the moment but thinking of going to the states soon enough and will probably go home for a while in September.

But my passport is cracked the whole way along the top, i have it held together with tape. do you think they would be a problem at border control? the details on my passport like number, picture etc are all clear and correct, just very worried about the crack....

Im shaking up my passport tomoro from the office cause im flying on monday. What do i need to bring to collect it

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm worried about my passport. I send in the application a couple of weeks today and I've been tracking it online. Today was meant to be the date of issue but the status only changed to being checked yesterday. I'm travelling on the 25th so I need it soon. If something is wrong with it and it comes back, is it the passport office that I go to to get an emergency passport?

If something is wrong with it, go into the passport office with any additional documents required, I wouldn't worry too much about it though, you should be fine.

timex711 wrote: »
    I have to go in and pick up my passport from the dublin office on friday as i am flying out on monday. What time should i que at to get it early enough. What documents should i bring id address etc? I rang today and it is due to be sent out on friday but the man changed it to collection. Should i be alri for monday?

You should be fine with that.
    Im shaking up my passport tomoro from the office cause im flying on monday. What do i need to bring to collect it

When collecting passports, if you're collecting for yourself just bring your receipt. If you dont have it dont worry, your picture will be on the passport ;)

If you're collecting for someone else, bring the receipt, with a note on it from them saying they authorise you to collect it, and bring your own photo id.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    in toronto at the moment but thinking of going to the states soon enough and will probably go home for a while in September.

But my passport is cracked the whole way along the top, i have it held together with tape. do you think they would be a problem at border control? the details on my passport like number, picture etc are all clear and correct, just very worried about the crack....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if your passport is held together by selotape, even if info is intact you're opening yourself up to problems. Contact your nearest consulate or embassy to organise replacing your passport asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My passport will expire in September but I'll probably have emigrated by then to Netherlands so will I be able to travel back to Ireland with an out of date passport ?

charlemont wrote: »
    My passport will expire in September but I'll probably have emigrated by then to Netherlands so will I be able to travel back to Ireland with an out of date passport ?

Unfortunately not, you can't travel on an expired passport, I'd try and get it sorted before you leave, passport waiting times are much longer when done through an embassy than doing it by passport express here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, you can't travel on an expired passport, I'd try and get it sorted before you leave, passport waiting times are much longer when done through an embassy than doing it by passport express here.

Thanks for your prompt reply. :)

charlemont wrote: »
    Thanks for your prompt reply. :)

No problem at all, insomnia has gotten the better of me :)

You should be fine with that.

When collecting passports, if you're collecting for yourself just bring your receipt. If you dont have it dont worry, your picture will be on the passport ;)

If you're collecting for someone else, bring the receipt, with a note on it from them saying they authorise you to collect it, and bring your own photo id.

just a update. I checked the online status for it, and it said its been sent by post on thursday. Now i asked for collection and im getting worried that its being posted. Ill ring them in the morning. But what i wanna no is if it has been sent by post can i ring the post office and ask can i personally collect it at whatever depot its at instead of havin it delivered to my house. At least i no its printed and its in the country somewhere. I need it by monday morning

just a update. I checked the online status for it, and it said its been sent by post on thursday. Now i asked for collection and im getting worried that its being posted. Ill ring them in the morning. But what i wanna no is if it has been sent by post can i ring the post office and ask can i personally collect it at whatever depot its at instead of havin it delivered to my house. At least i no its printed and its in the country somewhere. I need it by monday morning

TBH I'm not sure on this one, I'd ring the Passport Office in the morning if I were you, it gives them time to sort something out for you if necessary. In my experience that tracking system can be woefully inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jennie75

hi , i have a passport issue.... first off , my first application for a passport that I organised and signed etc (1/2/12) was returned because the garda that signed the form no longer worked in ireland, returned by Passport office (27/5/12) so i had to get new form , new pics etc all signed and sent in again - this was done on the 5th June , I did passport express , and the girl in the PO told me that it could take about 15 days before id get new passport. On ringing the passport office and finally getting through , they said 10...Cant understand why it took them 4 months to send it back to me either!!
    I have checked the website www.dfa.ie a few times and today it says it has been registered on 5/6/12 and is being checked and Issue date is today 18/6/12.

Im travelling to portugal on 10th July , and am worried that I wont have it on time , now when i ring passport office i get no reply and I cant go into them as they already have my old passport , probably destroyed at this point...
    What can I do ?? Worried i wont have it on time to travel .....Can anyone help me!!!!

Don't worry, you should have it in plenty of time. I'd imagine they will post it this evening or tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Quick question for all recent passport express users. Status just changed to printed at 7pm. Do you think it will be posted tomorrow or what are your experiences with passport express delivery times when printed status appeared?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Should be posted the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Hi guys, can you help me with this passport expiration query ?

I'm travelling to Spain on the 11th July this year, and returning on the 18th - My Irish passport expires on the 23rd of July.

Will this be an issue? Do Spain require a minimum period of 3 months ? Or will I be ok ?

Thanks

<!>Update</!>

I called the Spanish embassy +353-1-2691640 and there's no minimum validity required - for Irish passports at least, hope this helps somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

beerbaron wrote: »
    Hi guys, can you help me with this passport expiration query ?

I'm travelling to Spain on the 11th July this year, and returning on the 18th - My Irish passport expires on the 23rd of July.

Will this be an issue? Do Spain require a minimum period of 3 months ? Or will I be ok ?

Thanks

No problem. You're entitled* to enter the territory of another EU member state if in possession of a valid EU passport. No other restrictions can be imposed.

*unless you pose a threat to public security, policy or health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sue136

Hi, i could kick myself for leaving it this late but i have just sent off my passport renewal this morning with passport express and im due to travel on Sunday 8th July, will i get it back on time, and advice to quicken it?

sue136 wrote: »
    Hi, i could kick myself for leaving it this late but i have just sent off my passport renewal this morning with passport express and im due to travel on Sunday 8th July, will i get it back on time, and advice to quicken it?

You should get it back in time, if its getting close to your date of travel and you still haven't received it, then contact them. I'd say you'll be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sue136

Thanks for quick reply, this 2 week wait is gonna kill me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Hey,

I'm sure this was answered before but I applied for a renewel on passport express over 13 days ago, I don't have my tracking number. How easy is it to get in touch with them and will I have any hassle if I have my old passport number or something for them to check the status of it for me?

Beau wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm sure this was answered before but I applied for a renewel on passport express over 13 days ago, I don't have my tracking number. How easy is it to get in touch with them and will I have any hassle if I have my old passport number or something for them to check the status of it for me?

Its easy enough for them to check when its passport express. Its 10 WORKING days for passport express plus about 2 days with an post, I'd imagine you will receive it in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Its easy enough for them to check when its passport express. Its 10 WORKING days for passport express plus about 2 days with an post, I'd imagine you will receive it in the next couple of days.

Ok, thanks. If I don't get it today I will have to pop in to the office, do you know from what time they are open?

Beau wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. If I don't get it today I will have to pop in to the office, do you know from what time they are open?

9.30 to 4.30, you could save yourself a trip and try ringing customer services. If its engaged, try them a few times, the phone system can only accept a certain amount of calls at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Even if you ask to collect it the passport still has to be dispatched on the system. Its taken then to a different area to be brought in to milesworth st. All passport express application has to be dispatched the same way, thats the way the system has been set up.

If in future anyone sees this online just ring up and there will be a comment on your application saying its been sent for collection to Molesworth st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement