Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

damofrano wrote: »
    :)Sorry to be a pain but is it the same for a child old passport good enough?

Not for a child's application. They need the original long form birth certificate every time as they can't check who the parents are to give consent without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Does normal application really take 4-8 weeks? Passport express seems to be what most people are using now, how much does it cost if I drop it into the passport office myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

€95 for standard applications and you will be made wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

netopia wrote: »
    Not for a child's application. They need the original long form birth certificate every time as they can't check who the parents are to give consent without it.

Its actually the guardians, just because your a parent it doesn't make you a guardian under irish law ( unmarried men have little or no rights to their children )

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

So im flying to Belgium for a week 2nd last week of May with Ryanair and my passport is out of date in July, am i ok to fly folks or am i best off getting new Passport organised? Cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

MonicaBing wrote: »
    So im flying to Belgium for a week 2nd last week of May with Ryanair and my passport is out of date in July, am i ok to fly folks or am i best off getting new Passport organised? Cheers:)

You are okay to fly as your passport is valid during the duration of your trip (if it was to expire during your trip then you would require a new passport).

Enjoy the trip !

Oh and in addition I do not know how much travelling you do but it can take a while to get a new passport so if I was you I'd apply for one as soon as you get back from Belgium !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

kingtut wrote: »
    You are okay to fly as your passport is valid during the duration of your trip (if it was to expire during your trip then you would require a new passport).

Enjoy the trip !

Oh and in addition I do not know how much travelling you do but it can take a while to get a new passport so if I was you I'd apply for one as soon as you get back from Belgium !!!

Yep i travel quite frequently so i'll definitely get a new one asap! Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 handyandy12

i applied for a new passport last monday (23rd), the status of the application says it was received on the 24th and has been registered. Date of issue is 8th May, does that mean that it will be posted out on the 8th?

You should have it by that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 handyandy12

You should have it by that date.

cheers, can breathe easy now, need it for June bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Folks, first passport for new born (2 days old) baby applied for in person today at the Cork passport office under 3 working day service. Non-refundable flight tickets to the far east booked a month ago, departing this Monday. Unfortunately the baby was born 11 days overdue, hence the incredibly tight timeframe.

Chap in the passport office stressed that the 3 working day service is not guaranteed and while he advised me to return this Friday to collect the passport, he warned that there's a good chance it might not be ready. Next working day is Tuesday next, by which time we'll have missed the flights.

The stress of not knowing is killing us. In peoples' experience, how likely is it that the passport will be ready for collection this Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Anyone know if I have to get a new passport to replace my child passport since I turned 18 for going away ???

xxpopopxx wrote: »
    Anyone know if I have to get a new passport to replace my child passport since I turned 18 for going away ???
    Of course you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Phew! Thank god, stress of getting a new one ! :) Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Do you really have to submit your old passport with an application? I thought you could keep it, I've so many stamps that I'd love to keep for memories :(

Edit: Sorry I just read through the thread, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Ponster wrote: »
    Question : Do I need a biometric passport for the states?

Answer :
    No. Your passport just needs to be machine-readable.

Exception:
    Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after 10/26/06 are required to be e-passports
    In case of Irish issued passports, they're e-passports since that date anyway.

Question :
    How do I know if I have an biometric or e-passport?

Answer :
    Most countries' e-passports carry a small SIM-card size rectangular symbol on the front cover that represents "chip-inside" (the symbol also looks a little like a photo-camera symbol)...
    EPassport_logo.svg
    irish_passport.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Hey guys, a couple of months back SWIM picked up their passport which was expired and thought that they should cut the corners off. Half way through the first corner they realised how hard it was to cut through and wondered how all of their friend's expired passports had really clean cuts off corners which brought SWIM to the realisation that YOU DONT DO THIS .

SWIM knows now that this is what the passport office does when it sends your expired passport back.

Anyway how does SWIM go about getting a new passport after illegally defacing the expired one? They could report it lost but this has to be done through the Guardai with witness protection forms and ultimately reported to Interpol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just explain the situation, send back in whatever pieces you had cut also. I couldn't see any problems with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Follow what Stinicker said above and you (well SWIM, whatever that means) will be fine.

I can never understand why people feel the need to destroy their own passports just because they are expired.

The passport office don't ask anyone to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

If you have the passport you must send it back when renewing it whatever state its in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Folks, first passport for new born (2 days old) baby applied for in person today at the Cork passport office under 3 working day service. Non-refundable flight tickets to the far east booked a month ago, departing this Monday. Unfortunately the baby was born 11 days overdue, hence the incredibly tight timeframe.

Chap in the passport office stressed that the 3 working day service is not guaranteed and while he advised me to return this Friday to collect the passport, he warned that there's a good chance it might not be ready. Next working day is Tuesday next, by which time we'll have missed the flights.

The stress of not knowing is killing us. In peoples' experience, how likely is it that the passport will be ready for collection this Friday?

Update:

Passport was ready for collection yesterday - a day early. Application submission to having the passport in my hand took under 48 hours. Absolutely fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

my OH has a really used-looking passport. I mean he's had it almost 10 years, he's used it as ID at pubs and subsequently it looks really worn and most of the gold writing on the front of it is faded, the corners are slightly tatty but the inside page with picture and the chip are still intact.
    We travelled to the US last year with it and it was fine thankfully. Would we have issues with it in Asia I wonder? We're going to Thailand in September. I heard they're particular about pristine currency notes, so I'm worried they may do the same with the passport...

the inside page with picture and the chip are still intact.
    You shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

My name is Gary Patrick on birth cert should I put both down as Forenames?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

gfgfgf14 wrote: »
    My name is Gary Patrick on birth cert should I put both down as Forenames?

Yes Fornames 1 & 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So, I'm heading to Twickenham next weekend and realised my passport isn't where I thought it was. Going to try the express passport route. Does anyone have any experience with these? I understand that you can show up in person and get an express passport for a fee reasonably quickly.

Does anyone know what you have to bring in? Is it the same as a normal passport application ie:
    a completed and suitably witnessed passport application form and four photographs, (two of which must have the application form number written on the reverse and be signed by an approved witness);
    The Passport Service reserves the right to contact witnesses as required. Passport applicants should therefore note that where it is not possible make contact with those witnessing applications then it is likely that the application will be rejected.
    the long form birth certificate of the applicant and a civil marriage certificate, if appropriate, and evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship ,where applicable;
    additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
    documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
    evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So, I'm heading to Twickenham next weekend and realised my passport isn't where I thought it was. Going to try the express passport route. Does anyone have any experience with these? I understand that you can show up in person and get an express passport for a fee reasonably quickly.

Does anyone know what you have to bring in? Is it the same as a normal passport application ie:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782

For lost/first time alright.

Extra stuff needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marronn05

Hey guys

I was thinking of taking a last minute budget travel holiday with my mother in law and my two kids. There are some great deals especially before the peak rates begin. My youngest (currently 10.5 weeks) has no passport. I read that if you go up to the passport office in Dublin and can give proof of immediate travel, then you could get a passport processed that day. Is this still possible? I'd hate to book and pay for the holiday only to be told that it's not in fact a possibility! Thank you all in advance for any responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

i applied for a new passport last monday (23rd), the status of the application says it was received on the 24th and has been registered. Date of issue is 8th May, does that mean that it will be posted out on the 8th?

Was that standard application? I've lost my passport (first time) so will have to replace it. I'm going to Twickenham Saturday morning with Aer Lingus, so should be fine with a driving license (according to their policy).

However, I also travel to Portugal on the 5th June so will need a passport by then. If I send off for it tomorrow as a standard application, should I have it in time?

• Advertisement

No. You need to send it passport express.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement