Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chris_c

Sorry for delay, got mine last Wednesday (29th). Asked me to resend photo ID as guy in post office in Belfast photocopied my electoral card instead of sending original. Nonetheless, it took approx 4 and 1/2 weeks all in from filling in form to receiving in post. Good luck.

Yea got mine at the end of the week it was printed a few days after the issue date on the tracking page of pasport.ie but its all good.

Just a quick question does the tracking work? mine went from being registered to posted from the 7.45 update to the 1.45 update it didnt stop on anyother of the stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They often go from Registered to Posted in 1 day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Krippppyyyy

chris_c wrote: »
    Sorry for delay, got mine last Wednesday (29th). Asked me to resend photo ID as guy in post office in Belfast photocopied my electoral card instead of sending original. Nonetheless, it took approx 4 and 1/2 weeks all in from filling in form to receiving in post. Good luck.

Yea got mine at the end of the week it was printed a few days after the issue date on the tracking page of pasport.ie but its all good.

Just a quick question does the tracking work? mine went from being registered to posted from the 7.45 update to the 1.45 update it didnt stop on anyother of the stages.
    The tacking seems to be a bit hit and miss. Best and most reliable info is to submit an online query. I got a response within 15 mins and the rep was very helpful. Emails sent back and forward 2-3 times daily. Really useful. Have sent off for the kids passports now. Confident that there will be no hick-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Hello guys/girls, I accidentally started a thread about a passport question without seeing this sticky, sorry :) I'm heading to Holland at the end of March, my passport expires in June, am I ok to use it ?, thanks

YES!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Krippppyyyy

Hello guys/girls, I accidentally started a thread about a passport question without seeing this sticky, sorry :) I'm heading to Holland at the end of March, my passport expires in June, am I ok to use it ?, thanks
    Should be fine, holland is in EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Dodge wrote: »
    Monotype wrote: »
    Can I just confirm - I only need to send in my old passport as a form of ID (as an Irish citizen etc) and I don't need to send in my birth certificate?

Also, am I missing something or is Passport express cheaper?
    Express = €80 + 8.50
    Normal = €95 + postage

... and apparently the fee will be increasing in April by €15 except for the the passport express.
    If you're renewing, send in old passport and NOT birth cert

Yep, passport express is cheaper

This is exactly what I was going to ask, I thought I was reading it wrong on the website. Is this new I always went in for passports because I thought it was cheaper over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

My passport is out of date but after a good search it's lost anyway. I need to go to the Gardai and get the new form signed . What ID do I need ? I don't have a driving license and my student ID's out of date by a year . Will the student ID do ? I have the proof of address / SW card/ birth cert .

I'll get the original documents back right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No Student ID isn't enough. You'll need your long form birth certificate. You'll get everything back though

Proof of address isn't neccesary

What's a long form birth cert ? I thought it was just a standard birth cert . There's a longer list of requirements if you've lost your original passport . One more question, can an application such as mine be sent by the express service or will I have to send it standard ? Also do pay the post office the 80 eyro there and then or should I put my credit card number down ?

• Advertisement

Hopefully the old ID and the list of documents will do ! I've no other way of proving who I am . Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Dodge wrote: »
    No Student ID isn't enough. You'll need your long form birth certificate. You'll get everything back though

Proof of address isn't neccesary

Proof of address is very necessary for lost passports, TWO forms of proof of address plus Valid ID. Ring the passport office customer care on 01 671 1633 or LoCall 1890 426 888 to check if your Student ID will suffice, they will inform you of current guidelines.

Edit: Also a long form Birth certificate contains your name and both your parents names, A short form is usually printed on a green sheet and is about A5 size.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What's a long form birth cert ? I thought it was just a standard birth cert . There's a longer list of requirements if you've lost your original passport . One more question, can an application such as mine be sent by the express service or will I have to send it standard ? Also do pay the post office the 80 eyro there and then or should I put my credit card number down ?

Do you live in Dublin or Cork? With a lost passport it can be a bit confusing, so going into the counter avoids unnecessary delays by having it sent back to you in the post. If you're sending it by post, send it express only, not by standard post. With express, you pay the €88.50 fee in the Post Office, so there is no need to fill in your Credit Card details on the form.

I've no other choice for identification . I'll never be driving over here . If you look on the website there is a lot of documents to provide including letters of address, payslips, bank statements , and the birth cert . Heading to the Gardai tomorrow to get the missing passport declaration signed . They'll advice me if there's anything more I can get .

Only have the long one thankfully ! I'm going to do the passport express as I won't get to travel to Dublin . It's such a nuisance not having a valid ID . Thanks for your help .

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I've no other choice for identification . I'll never be driving over here . If you look on the website there is a lot of documents to provide including letters of address, payslips, bank statements , and the birth cert . Heading to the Gardai tomorrow to get the missing passport declaration signed . They'll advice me if there's anything more I can get .

Only have the long one thankfully ! I'm going to do the passport express as I won't get to travel to Dublin . It's such a nuisance not having a valid ID . Thanks for your help .

One thing I'll advise you, Don't listen to the guards advice, they give out so much wrong information it's not even funny, in fairness to them, it's not their job. The passport office will more than likely ask you for further id, more than likely in the form of a Certificate of Identity. Ring the passport office and ask if they'll accept an ML10, its basically a form with your photo on it, stamped by the guards to say they are satisfied as to your identity. I don't know whether the PPO is accepting them though, but theres no harm in including it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Hi everyone,

I changed my surname by deed poll in August last year. I'm hoping to get a passport soon (my 1st) but I've read that you need to be using your new name for at least 2 yrs?
    But someone else said that you're legally allowed to use your mother's maiden name? (which is what I changed to)

Could anyone tell me what the story actually is?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

I applied for a passport on Tuesday, I need it by the 28th, (flying early on the 29th). They know it's urgent as I showed them my flight details, so they said I'll more than likely get it, but they can't guarantee it. So I'm kind of worried. I'm not even sure if they are giving me an emergency passport, I just assumed that would be the only thing they would give me in such a situation. They said call back on the 28th, but I just wish there was a way I could have some certainty.
    Is there anything else I can do to make sure I can travel, a friend just asked me if it's possible to get a Transport Certificate (something valid for a short travel).
    I'm thinking of ringing them tomorrow to check the status, but would that be pushing my luck, I don't want to be annoying them like :(

Relax. If they are aware of your flights you will have it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

Relax. If they are aware of your flights you will have it on time.

OK thanks, it's hard to relax though, I've seen people in other posts say they didn't get it on time even though they had more time than me (I think that was at a very bad time though). I feel as though there's a 90% chance I'll get it, but I can't help thinking of that damned 10%, I'm sure they only say can't guarantee to cover themselves though. I hope so anyway.

Edit... I gave the a call and they said it's approved and it will definitely be ready early next week, what a relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Hi everyone,

I changed my surname by deed poll in August last year. I'm hoping to get a passport soon (my 1st) but I've read that you need to be using your new name for at least 2 yrs?
    But someone else said that you're legally allowed to use your mother's maiden name? (which is what I changed to)

Could anyone tell me what the story actually is?

Thanks!

If it's your first passport, and your surname is not specified on your birth certificate, you can use your mother's maiden name.

However, if you are over 18, you need to support your application with proof of identity (photo ID and two proofs of name and address) so you will need to have some documents in the same name you are applying for the passport in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 johnc284

Hi I have lost my passport and i am currantly due to travel in 3 weeks 13 working days from Monday.

I know the procedures in reapplying to replace the passport the only thing im not sure on is can i use passport express? Or apply directly to the passport office and show my travel details and get it issued quicker?

Any help on this mattter would be much appriecated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If you go into passport with with proof of travel they can issue a new one the same day.

I wouldn't risk the passport express service just un case.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭fabvinny

can't get a passport on the day anymore. and procedures have changed when applying to replace a lost/stolen irish passport. need extra ID documents. www.dfa.ie gives guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 trundlebee

Hey guys, does anyone know do I HAVE to be at the passport office to give in the application and apply for one? I'm sick and I can't make it in and need the passport done. Or can my mom drop it in, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

trundlebee wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know do I HAVE to be at the passport office to give in the application and apply for one? I'm sick and I can't make it in and need the passport done. Or can my mom drop it in, thanks!

Someone can go to the Passport Office on your behalf. You must be present in the Garda Station for the witnessing of your form though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I'm flying to Spain on Sunday, and I just noticed that passports take account of your middle name. I'm slightly worried that your ticket should show your middle name, I never put my middle name in any of the boxes when I was buying my ticket. Am I alright or do I need to ring up?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I'm flying to Spain on Sunday, and I just noticed that passports take account of your middle name. I'm slightly worried that your ticket should show your middle name, I never put my middle name in any of the boxes when I was buying my ticket. Am I alright or do I need to ring up?
    You should be fine, I've traveled all over europe and USA and i've always booked my tickets with just my first and last name leaving out the middle and there was never any issues whatsoever. Stop worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Guys, quick question.. how quickly can a passport be issued to a new born baby?

Situation is, baby due to be born April 22nd. Travel planned for May 2nd. Let's say the baby is a week overdue, so born Sun 29th. On Mon 30th the birth can be registered and cert issued. If I drive to Cork the same day will they process the passport in 24 hours, so I can call to collect it on Tue 1st May, so we can fly on Wed 2nd?

I'm over compensating intentionally to prepare for the worst case senario.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Guys, quick question.. how quickly can a passport be issued to a new born baby?

Situation is, baby due to be born April 22nd. Travel planned for May 2nd. Let's say the baby is a week overdue, so born Sun 29th. On Mon 30th the birth can be registered and cert issued. If I drive to Cork the same day will they process the passport in 24 hours, so I can call to collect it on Tue 1st May, so we can fly on Wed 2nd?

I'm over compensating intentionally to prepare for the worst case senario.

I'm not sure about the passport - but you need to check the airline - some won't allow infants under 7days to travel (ryanair) but others like Aer lingus will but require doctors letter for under 2wks old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the passport - but you need to check the airline - some won't allow infants under 7days to travel (ryanair) but others like Aer lingus will but require doctors letter for under 2wks old.

Thanks. It's Aer Lingus. I've checked their website and they're fine with it:
    Aer Lingus do not have a restriction on a minimum age that the infant should be, however they do recommend that you clear with your doctor that it is okay to travel up to the age of 2 weeks.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/travellingwithchildren/#d.en.4557

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement