Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The original still must be sent back afterwards.

If your passport expires in the next 6 months yes. But if you have more than 6 months photocopies will do for the whole process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

AGC wrote: »
    If your passport expires in the next 6 months yes. But if you have more than 6 months photocopies will do for the whole process
    Its the other way around, photocopies required if they expire within 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Just spoke wit th passport office.
    if you are travelling within 6 months of application/expiry then you only need to send photocopy
    still needs to be sent back at a later date, so it's cancelled properly. they will be looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

If its within 6 months of expiry a photocopy will be accepted. You won't be asked to supply the original once you get your new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 recentlybigl

Hi guys. Im travelling to spain in about a month and my passport is damaged. Its got a crack running along the top of the page with my details on it and also around the outline of my head. I'm wondering whether to risk it or just fork out the 80 quid to get a new one. Does it come down to the discretion of the man/woman on the desk or is there issues with scanning the passport etc. If anyone has any past experiences in this area your help would be much appreciated. Sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Are passports valid up to their expiry date when traveling within the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Are passports valid up to their expiry date when traveling within the EU?

They are indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How close to the expiry date of a passport is it OK to get in and out of Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83929

"All EU citizens have the right to enter and live in the territory of another member state of the EU for up to three months. A valid passport with no minimum validity is required."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How close to the expiry date of a passport is it OK to get in and out of Spain?
    right up to the day it expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

How reliable and safe is the Passport Express postal and processing service?
    I have a non-irish birth cert that would be difficult to replace and dread the thought of them losing it. I've heard stories of people having important documents being lost within the bureaucratic civil system...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Gatica wrote: »
    How reliable and safe is the Passport Express postal and processing service?
    I have a non-irish birth cert that would be difficult to replace and dread the thought of them losing it. I've heard stories of people having important documents being lost within the bureaucratic civil system...

When we sent off for my son's passport in 2008, when the passport office returned to us my wife's own passport (which was sent to them as a supporting document for my son's passport application), her passport was received damaged. The envelope they'd put it in looked like it had been at the bottom of the post bag which had been dragged along the floor. The result being that the corner of my wife's passport was damaged - it looked burned or rubbed away.

I wrote to the passport office to inform them of this and they replied basically saying "tough" - they sent it in good condition and if An Post's mishandling caused damage then I should complain to them. Not quite sure that's correct actually, and we weren't very impressed by their blase attitude and lack of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

That's what I'm worried about.

If you apply in person at the office in Dublin, is it possible to keep my documents or do they still take them off you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I got my Irish passport 2 months ago and everything was fine. Got the passport and all my original documents back in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyone ever lost two or more passports?

Unfortunately, due to my own carelessness, I have lost my second one and the dfa website says I will likely have limited passport access from now on.

Just wondering what this means, perhaps I would have to pay 80e (or the passport fee) each time I want to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Gatica wrote: »
    That's what I'm worried about.

If you apply in person at the office in Dublin, is it possible to keep my documents or do they still take them off you?

They will take them but you will always get them back.

When we sent off for my son's passport in 2008, when the passport office returned to us my wife's own passport (which was sent to them as a supporting document for my son's passport application), her passport was received damaged. The envelope they'd put it in looked like it had been at the bottom of the post bag which had been dragged along the floor. The result being that the corner of my wife's passport was damaged - it looked burned or rubbed away.

I wrote to the passport office to inform them of this and they replied basically saying "tough" - they sent it in good condition and if An Post's mishandling caused damage then I should complain to them. Not quite sure that's correct actually, and we weren't very impressed by their blase attitude and lack of responsibility.

I work in An Post (counters, not mail handling) and have never heard of any problems with passport being lost or damaged and only once have I heard of a delay (other than general delay in the Passport Office due to industrial action) and that was due to the sender mis-spelling his own address. The damage described above is the first time I've heard of one being damaged and could occur as you suggested but I'm not sure about the "burned" appearance. Mail bags shouldn't be heavy enough to do that, and normally shouldn't be dragged anyway. Generally they should be handled better that this but you will always get people who can't be bothered whether in An Post or the Passport Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

noodler wrote: »
    Anyone ever lost two or more passports?

Unfortunately, due to my own carelessness, I have lost my second one and the dfa website says I will likely have limited passport access from now on.

Just wondering what this means, perhaps I would have to pay 80e (or the passport fee) each time I want to travel.

I think, though I'm not sure, that they will only give you either a 1 year or 3 year passport, if you don't lose that then I think you get a 10 year passport the next time.

I know Ive filled out the form correctly but I always worry that they send it back due to photos not good enough or something filled out wrong. At least in the Passport Office they can point thsi out. 8 weeks to the Euros, not sure if Im willing to risk it!

If you send it by Passport Express and they have to return it for some omission or error (photos etc.) once you return the items to them they will process it immediately. As long as you return it quickly it shouldn't add much to the ten working day guaranteed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mossie wrote: »
    I work in An Post (counters, not mail handling) and have never heard of any problems with passport being lost or damaged and only once have I heard of a delay (other than general delay in the Passport Office due to industrial action) and that was due to the sender mis-spelling his own address. The damage described above is the first time I've heard of one being damaged and could occur as you suggested but I'm not sure about the "burned" appearance. Mail bags shouldn't be heavy enough to do that, and normally shouldn't be dragged anyway. Generally they should be handled better that this but you will always get people who can't be bothered whether in An Post or the Passport Office.

The "burned" appearance was only descriptive, it wasn't actually burned, more worn away. I don't know what caused the passport / envelope containing the passport to be delivered to me like that, but, as I said, it *looked* like the type of damage that could be the result of the envelope being at the bottom of a heavy postbag that was dragged across the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mcclaffs

Hi folks
    I was hoping someone could tell me how long does it take to finish the processing of a passport application after new passport photos have been sent. I get a letter this morning sayin the photos were to "glarey" so I got new ones and sent them to Dublin. They should arrive tomorrow. Trouble is I am flying on the 04 may. Not counting todat thats 8 working days. I originally used passport express (10 days) but its obviously gone over that now. Anyway has anyone ever had this happen? Any idea if i'll make the flight?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Did you look 2 posts above you? You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 damofrano

Just wondering myself and my daughters(she is 11) passports have expired since Jan:( and I was wondering do we have to both get the long version of our passports copied and send to the passport office or since its a renewal will old passport suffice? Also with the passport photos do we have to get a garda to sign them in any station or where we reside. Sorry if the questions sound stupid but its so long since I had my last passport I cannot remember what we had to do, thanks in advance:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

As far as I remember, you must send the entire old passport to them (it will be returned), you must def fill in a form and get new photos (they are very fussy about the photos now, so get them taken carefully)...not sure about whether you need to go to the Gardai again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

damofrano wrote: »
    Just wondering myself and my daughters(she is 11) passports have expired since Jan:( and I was wondering do we have to both get the long version of our passports copied and send to the passport office or since its a renewal will old passport suffice? Also with the passport photos do we have to get a garda to sign them in any station or where we reside. Sorry if the questions sound stupid but its so long since I had my last passport I cannot remember what we had to do, thanks in advance:D:D

My wife done the express service with an post and I wasnt there but I know she didnt have a copy of it and just used the old passport. If you get the application from the post office it will tell you on there what to do.

I can confirm that you do need to get the photo's signed by the garda as we have just applied for our 3 year olds new passport and we had to do this. you will also have to bring id of your own to support signing the application for your daughter.

We went into the Post Office and they dont take Visa even though the majority of people now have visa debit as there laser card, an post need to get with the times.

No wonder they didnt get the gig of collecting the household charge, they dont have the facility to take VISA/Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcclaffs

Did you look 2 posts above you? You should be fine.
    Thanks, Iposted and then read through the forum, its one of the bigger ones. Hopefull I will get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Passport turnaround 8 days! Got mine today and all I sent them was the form and a photocopy (Only if within 6 months of expiry) No menton of wanting the old one in return!

Sorry Folks it was the long version of my birth cert I was wondering about do I need a copy of it for my passport or do I need a copy of my birth cert at all when applying or will old pasport sufice, sorry for the confusion and thanks for any replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Old passport is good enough.

• Advertisement

:)Sorry to be a pain but is it the same for a child old passport good enough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement