Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Are you traveling to UK if so you won't need a passport, just bring the birth cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Guys, quick question.. how quickly can a passport be issued to a new born baby?

Situation is, baby due to be born April 22nd. Travel planned for May 2nd. Let's say the baby is a week overdue, so born Sun 29th. On Mon 30th the birth can be registered and cert issued. If I drive to Cork the same day will they process the passport in 24 hours, so I can call to collect it on Tue 1st May, so we can fly on Wed 2nd?

I'm over compensating intentionally to prepare for the worst case senario.

No passport for 1st time applicants can't be speeded up they will take 10 working days and it can take a week for registration details to be sent from hospital to register for cert to be issued ( from 2 previous experiences ) You will also need a PPSN for the baby as per the form which can take 3 weeks.

If you go into passport with with proof of travel they can issue a new one the same day.

I wouldn't risk the passport express service just un case.

No they can't 3 working days is the fastest you can get it and as has been said if you've lost your passport you will need extra documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

No passport for 1st time applicants can't be speeded up they will take 10 working days and it can take a week for registration details to be sent from hospital to register for cert to be issued ( from 2 previous experiences ) You will also need a PPSN for the baby as per the form which can take 3 weeks.

Damn. So, you're saying it's a week until I can register the birth and receive the birth cert, but in any case it's three weeks until a PPSN issues and this is needed for the passport application form, processing of which will take 2 weeks. So that's 5 weeks total for delivery of passport, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I picked up an ML10 form today from the local Garda station

How much of a fee is there at the Garda Station for doing this, i was in a rush and never asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I picked up an ML10 form today from the local Garda station

How much of a fee is there at the Garda Station for doing this, i was in a rush and never asked.

No fee.

Good news, I just got a reply to an email I sent to the passport office in Cork. Here's the exchange..
    Hello, my wife is due to give birth on 22/04/12. We need to travel to Singapore on 02/05/2012. What is the possibility of receiving a passport for our new baby in time, please? Kind regards, Kotek Besar.
    Hello Kotek Besar, You would have to call to the office with a completed application form and the travel itinerary and we should have the passport back in the office for the 1st May. We need at least three working days to produce a passport, so you have time.
    Regards <name>
    Good morning <name>,

Thank you for your reply.

I've heard that a PPS number for the baby is required for the passport application, and these can take up to three weeks (from birth) to be issued. In your experience, is this correct? If so, can a passport be issued for a baby without the baby's PPS number?

Kind regards,
    Kotek Besar.
    It is not a requirement yet, we can produce a passport without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Hi all, hope this question can be answered quick enough and I apologise if similar has likely been asked.

My situation:
    Holiday to U.S.A on 17th April for about 3 weeks. Passport expiring Mid-June.
    I believe it will most likely be accepted despite expiring within 6 months, correct?

Also if I wanted to renew the passport before I go (in case I stay for longer over there) what would be the best/quickest method of renewal -
    Postal Express 10 w/days (would be cutting it too close date-wise I think)?
    Does submitting at the passport office actually take longer?
    Can I submit it as a urgent case despite it not being for work/death reasons? I realise this has an added cost.

Cheers all.

For travel to the US, an Irish passport is valid until the date of it's expiry.

According to the Cork passport office, a passport can be issued in 3 working days with travel itinerary provided. Not sure how much extra this costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Hi all, hope this question can be answered quick enough and I apologise if similar has likely been asked.

My situation:
    Holiday to U.S.A on 17th April for about 3 weeks. Passport expiring Mid-June.
    I believe it will most likely be accepted despite expiring within 6 months, correct?

Also if I wanted to renew the passport before I go (in case I stay for longer over there) what would be the best/quickest method of renewal

if you're going on holiday to the US, you won't be allowed in without a return ticket if you passport is up in June. So know when you're returning.

If you apply at the counter in Cork, and ask for the 3 day turnaround, it'll cost you €150 (€95 for counter application, €55 for urgency fee). Done through Passport express it'll cost €86 (€80 application fee, €6 passport express fee).

You could argue that you didn't realise your PP was out of date and they'll probably accomodate you at the counter. No harm in ringing to confirm though

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just to point out, if you are travelling in less than ten days the ppo will only issue either the day before you travel, or in some situations, not always, the day before you apply for the ESTA. Proof of travel is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

Hi, I want to make my passport in 15 days .Can it be possible.Please guide me.

Anky2930 wrote: »
    Hi, I want to make my passport in 15 days .Can it be possible.Please guide me.

Get the form, fill it out. Get your photos and form stamped by garda. Go to you local Post Office and apply through passport express. Normally they say it takes 10 days, but with easter (they'll be closed good friday and easter monday), it might take a little longer. You'll be given a reference number in the post office and you can check online,

Good luck

Dodge wrote: »
    Get the form, fill it out. Get your photos and form stamped by garda. Go to you local Post Office and apply through passport express. Normally they say it takes 10 days, but with easter (they'll be closed good friday and easter monday), it might take a little longer. You'll be given a reference number in the post office and you can check online,

Good luck

10 working days.

10 working days.

Yeah, fair play, very important distinction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Folks

If I were to apply for a password this tuesday morning in Molesworth street, what is the lilihood that they be able to accomodate me before close of business on Thursday with the 3 day turnaround fee? just discovered passport is out of date and flying out early on Friday (EU country).

Ill find out on tuesday morning no doubt but a heads up would be great as it will affect another traveller.

Thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Folks

If I were to apply for a password this tuesday morning in Molesworth street, what is the lilihood that they be able to accomodate me before close of business on Thursday with the 3 day turnaround fee? just discovered passport is out of date and flying out early on Friday (EU country).

Ill find out on tuesday morning no doubt but a heads up would be great as it will affect another traveller.

Thanks for any advice.

It may be possible, i'm not 100% sure though, tbh theyre the only ones who can tell you, for the life of me, I can't remember whether a tuesday 3 day is thursday or friday, sorry I can't be of more help, best of luck though.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    It may be possible, i'm not 100% sure though, tbh theyre the only ones who can tell you, for the life of me, I can't remember whether a tuesday 3 day is thursday or friday, sorry I can't be of more help, best of luck though.

Thanks for the reply. From reading the thread I believe the 3 day turnaround gurantee is connected with the passports now being made in Balbriggan.

Does the 3 day turnaround apply to Cork office. i.e worst case scenario, im told tommorrow that it cant be dont before friday morning: if i turned up at Cork office, can they accommodate within the day?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Getting my passport renewed for June this year. Whats the best way of getting thsi done without fuss? Call into them? It now says on the Passport website
    1. With effect from 9th January 2012 the Passport Service will only accept photocopies in respect of passports with six months or less validity on the date of application. Where a passport has 6 plus months validity this must be submitted with the application. The recommended method for submitting passport applications is via the Passport Express service or Royal Mail Northern Ireland Passport Express service, available through local post offices.
    So basically I just photocopy of my passport back page and send it with the form? the form states to send the passport. Am I better off calling in and getting it done at teh passport office?

Getting my passport renewed for June this year. Whats the best way of getting thsi done without fuss? Call into them?
    Calling into them is probably the most fuss (and it costs more too). passport express is (by some distance), the handiest, safest way of doing things

So basically I just photocopy of my passport back page and send it with the form? the form states to send the passport. Am I better off calling in and getting it done at teh passport office?
    Forms take a while to get outtr of circulation. Use the advice on the website.

And again, use Passport Express through the post office. Its the quickest, cheapest, easiest way of doing it

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Calling into them is probably the most fuss (and it costs more too). passport express is (by some distance), the handiest, safest way of doing things

Forms take a while to get outtr of circulation. Use the advice on the website.

And again, use Passport Express through the post office. Its the quickest, cheapest, easiest way of doing it
    I know Ive filled out the form correctly but I always worry that they send it back due to photos not good enough or something filled out wrong. At least in the Passport Office they can point thsi out. 8 weeks to the Euros, not sure if Im willing to risk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

No you need to send your original passport back to the Passport Office

netopia wrote: »
    No you need to send your original passport back to the Passport Office
    Thats not what it says on their website or at the actual office when I called!
    With effect from 9th January 2012 the Passport Service will only accept photocopies in respect of passports with six months or less validity on the date of application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But they still want the old passport returned when the new one is sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Thats not what it says on their website or at the actual office when I called!
    You do have to send them in your old passport. I had too. they snipped the corners and stamped cancelled all over it, and sent it back to me with my new one.

Just spoke wit th passport office.
    if you are travelling within 6 months of application/expiry then you only need to send photocopy

Hi Folks

Thanks for any advice.

just to update:

Passport collected this AM at Passport office.

Sequence was:

Applied for passport Tuesday am payed €95 + €55 emergency fee.
    Collection date given(thursday) with Tracker number on the receipt. Followed progress on tracker on Passport.ie : Status on Wednesday evening was "Ready for collection".
    Collected Tuesday morning.
    Within 48 hours.
    3 working days seems to mean you can collect it on 2nd day after applying.
    Apply monday-collect wednesday; apply tuesday-collect thursday etc. (May be different in busy times as 5 working days seems to be the guarantee.)

Great public service i must say.

Update here too!
    Just sent off my renewal and just had to send a photocopy of my passport as I was within 6 months of renewal. Lets see what happens!

(May be different in busy times as 5 working days seems to be the guarantee.)
    I think this is the important bit. The reality is that they'll do them as quick as possible and often quite wuicker than they allow for. Obviously they've had problems during peak times before but seem to be OK now.

Thanks for coming back and complimenting them. Too often threads like this just end up as full of complaints

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just spoke wit th passport office.
    if you are travelling within 6 months of application/expiry then you only need to send photocopy
    The original still must be sent back afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement