Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it even necessary to provide passport number details when booking flights!?
    Normally no.

the country I'm flying to requires you have 6 months validity on the passport
    Which country would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Which country would that be?

Thailand
    Think I found a(fairly obvious!) way of checking. I just went through the whole booking process online right up until they wanted credit card details and they never asked me for my passport number so I'm assuming they don't need it as of yet, happy days!

Cheers for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

How long ago is it?
    I sent it last thurs and it says on website application is registered and that due date is march 8th. I'm flying on march 15th. Does that mean that application is valid and ill have it in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

miss.piggy wrote: »
    I applied for a passport by passport express. Is it always received within 10 working days? Am freaking out a little!! If it says on website that application is "registered" and it gives a delivery date does that mean there are no problems with the form and that it is a "valid" application?? Garda signed back of two photos but did not stamp them, I said it to him but he said signature is ok.
    Thanks!

The Garda was right about not stamping the photos,
    (but only one of the two photos needed to be signed).
    The photos do not have to be stamped now.

Note 9 of the explanatory notes says:
    "The Garda must sign the back of only one of your photographs and insert the form number displayed in Section 9 of the application form on that photograph. Please ensure that the Garda does not stamp the reverse of the photographs as this may interfere with scanning of the photographs by the Passport Office."

Section 9 of the actual form also says:
    "DO NOT STAMP REVERSE OF PHOTOS"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

emanresu wrote: »
    miss.piggy wrote: »
    I applied for a passport by passport express. Is it always received within 10 working days? Am freaking out a little!! If it says on website that application is "registered" and it gives a delivery date does that mean there are no problems with the form and that it is a "valid" application?? Garda signed back of two photos but did not stamp them, I said it to him but he said signature is ok.
    Thanks!

The Garda was right about not stamping the photos,
    (but only one of the two photos needed to be signed).
    The photos do not have to be stamped now.

Note 9 of the explanatory notes says:
    "The Garda must sign the back of only one of your photographs and insert the form number displayed in Section 9 of the application form on that photograph. Please ensure that the Garda does not stamp the reverse of the photographs as this may interfere with scanning of the photographs by the Passport Office."

Section 9 of the actual form also says:
    "DO NOT STAMP REVERSE OF PHOTOS"

I wouldn't worry about it because theyre not very strict, but, that form is miles out of date. You need four photos, two should be stamped. If theyre not stamped they'll just double check with the Guards. I've never seen a form rejected for it (the stamp, four photos ARE necessary, to prevent problems such as unscannable photos or ink on them)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it because theyre not very strict, but, that form is miles out of date. You need four photos, two should be stamped. If theyre not stamped they'll just double check with the Guards. I've never seen a form rejected for it (the stamp, four photos ARE necessary, to prevent problems such as unscannable photos or ink on them)

Sorry about that. Yes, that form is years out of date. But in my defense, I got it from the Passport Office website.
    The application form on the website is version 08/06 and the explanatory notes is version 02/08.
    I didn't notice that yesterday. The more up to date information is given elsewhere on the website, but when I found the forms I assumed they were up to date and didn't check the rest of the website.

The version of 02/10 is the one available in my local Garda Station at the moment, and in that version, they were still asking for only 2 photos and saying that they did not need to be stamped.

The post office has the version of 06/11. To avoid any confusion caused by my post of yesterday, this is the correct information from that version:
    "The Garda should sign and stamp the back of two of the four photographs and insert the form number displayed under the Garda signature box in this section on both signed photographs."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sorry about that. Yes, that form is years out of date. But in my defense, I got it from the Passport Office website.

it also states on the website
    Copies of these application forms are shown for viewing purposes only.

and
    Applicants are reminded that the APS1 and APS2 forms are shown here for illustration purposes only. Please obtain application forms from one of the outlets mentioned above.

thats their bold and underline BTW

basically, the PDFs won't scan. I'd contact the passport immediately if I was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Dodge wrote: »

it also states on the website
    Copies of these application forms are shown for viewing purposes only.

and
    Applicants are reminded that the APS1 and APS2 forms are shown here for illustration purposes only. Please obtain application forms from one of the outlets mentioned above.

thats their bold and underline BTW

basically, the PDFs won't scan. I'd contact the passport immediately if I was you

What is the passport customer care number? I tried number for molesworth street on website but can't get through at all

Only numbers are here; http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=262
    Enquiries -Tel. 01 671 1633 or LoCall 1890 426 888

You could try calling the Department of Foreign Affairs main number but no idea if they can give you a different number http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=73691
    Tel: (01) 4780822
    LoCall: 1890 426 700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Can I just confirm - I only need to send in my old passport as a form of ID (as an Irish citizen etc) and I don't need to send in my birth certificate?

Also, am I missing something or is Passport express cheaper?
    Express = €80 + 8.50
    Normal = €95 + postage

... and apparently the fee will be increasing in April by €15 except for the the passport express.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

I know this must have been asked a good few times, but here it goes again..

I was hoping to travel to Italy next week, but I don't have a passport. I haven't the time to wait for express, and the emergency one isn't an option.
    I was reading online that;

'You must still show a valid ID card or passport when travelling to or from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. Though part of the EU, these countries do not belong to the passport-free Schengen area.'

I don't get it. It says a passport OR a ID card, then it says it isn't passport free?
    What's the deal? Thanks :)

Monotype wrote: »
    Can I just confirm - I only need to send in my old passport as a form of ID (as an Irish citizen etc) and I don't need to send in my birth certificate?

Also, am I missing something or is Passport express cheaper?
    Express = €80 + 8.50
    Normal = €95 + postage

... and apparently the fee will be increasing in April by €15 except for the the passport express.
    If you're renewing, send in old passport and NOT birth cert

Yep, passport express is cheaper

I know this must have been asked a good few times, but here it goes again..

I was hoping to travel to Italy next week, but I don't have a passport. I haven't the time to wait for express, and the emergency one isn't an option.
    I was reading online that;

'You must still show a valid ID card or passport when travelling to or from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. Though part of the EU, these countries do not belong to the passport-free Schengen area.'

I don't get it. It says a passport OR a ID card, then it says it isn't passport free?
    Ireland does not issue an ID card so you need a passport.

Ireland doesn't issue a national ID card

Ireland isn't part of the Schengen area

Assuming you're Irish, you'll require a passport to travel to/from Italy. No ifs, ands or buts. Irish people require passports to travel to Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

But,what if..I call them,and..

Well this sucks, thanks for the help.

But,what if..I call them,and..

Yeah, didn't mean to be an arse about it but loads of people here (and elsewhere) try and argue their case when its crystal clear

Dodge wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't issue a national ID card

Ireland isn't part of the Schengen area

Assuming you're Irish, you'll require a passport to travel to/from Italy. No ifs, ands or buts. Irish people require passports to travel to Italy
    Unless you are Irish and have an ID card issued by another EU state. Which I happen to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

Hi, my sister gave me her documents to post via passport express tomorrow. She has her laser card information filled in but do I need her actually card to pay at the post office tomorrow or will it be charged at the passport office just using the payment info she filled in?

You pay at the post office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

I'm thinking of travelling to the UK soon. Do I need a passport for travelling to there? I have one atm, but it will probably be expired by the time I wish to return.

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    I'm thinking of travelling to the UK soon. Do I need a passport for travelling to there? I have one atm, but it will probably be expired by the time I wish to return.

Only with Ryanair, every other airline will accept other forms of photo ID, check the airlines Terms & Conditions before you book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Argh, travelling with work on Monday to Istanbul, just discovered that you need a visa on arriving at Istanbul which requires three months remaining on your passport. Im going to miss it by a few days as my passport expires end of May.

I have got all the documentation ready and willing to head into office tomorrow am. But just reading this, is there any point? Is there any possibility of getting it same day? I have a letter from my employer, is this of any use?

Maybe try the Turkish embassy first. See if they'll bend their regulations for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Argh, travelling with work on Monday to Istanbul, just discovered that you need a visa on arriving at Istanbul which requires three months remaining on your passport. Im going to miss it by a few days as my passport expires end of May.

I have got all the documentation ready and willing to head into office tomorrow am. But just reading this, is there any point? Is there any possibility of getting it same day? I have a letter from my employer, is this of any use?

Do as Dodge says.

It's a 3 day service in the PPO, apply tomorrow and it will be ready on Tuesday. Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks guys. So just walk in to the embassy in the morning? Appointment needed?

They should be able to issue you a visa thus getting around the airport issuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Hi,
    I am applying for a ten year passport for the first time as an adult, I previously held a childs one which ran out a few months ago. As a first time adult applicant do I need to send off a heap of documents or just the old passport? Thanks :)

Hi,
    I am applying for a ten year passport for the first time as an adult, I previously held a childs one which ran out a few months ago. As a first time adult applicant do I need to send off a heap of documents or just the old passport? Thanks :)

Just photos and the old passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Krippppyyyy

chris_c wrote: »
    should i worrie my tracking has been sayin Application No. Received on 14/02/2012 and has been registered?? just people on here saying that they got theirs back in a few days. should say i used the express service
    Sent mine off 4 weeks ago this Monday coming. Received and registered from 9th feb until today. Changed to being checked. Issue date was today(22nd). Submitted online query today and was told I should have it on Friday or early next week. Fingers crossed.
    Sorry for delay, got mine last Wednesday (29th). Asked me to resend photo ID as guy in post office in Belfast photocopied my electoral card instead of sending original. Nonetheless, it took approx 4 and 1/2 weeks all in from filling in form to receiving in post. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement