Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I'm flying out to munich tomorrow and just realised that my boarding pass doesn't include my middle name, whereas my passport does. Is this likely to cause problems?

Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Slugs wrote: »
    I'm flying out to munich tomorrow and just realised that my boarding pass doesn't include my middle name, whereas my passport does. Is this likely to cause problems?

Thanks in advance :D

No.

I always use my first and last name, never my middle name, which is on my passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 artvandalay

Hi,

I am traveling to Spain on Tuesday and applied for a passport for my son on Monday of last week by Passport Express - so the 10 working days would be up the day before we travel.

I just checked the status of the passport online and it states that the passport is printed and the issue date is Monday. Does this mean that it will be posted in Monday - which would bring it outside the 10 day turnaround? And of course is no good to me.

If I ring the passport office in the morning - can I ask for them to hold it and I will travel to the office and pick it up?

Any help is greatly appreciated - getting worried here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 artvandalay

Okay - just looking through old posts there and i see that the turnaround time starts on the day it is received in the passport office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Okay - just looking through old posts there and i see that the turnaround time starts on the day it is received in the passport office.

Ring customer care and arrange to collect it from molesworth street, should be no problem, just call asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mmcn90 wrote: »
    The best thing you can do about the 6 month rule/myth is always go on to dfa.ie and check the travel advice list for the country you will be travelling to, it will tell you all you need to know about visas and passports for the country you intend to visit.

I would actually advise against this. The DFA website, just like the UK's FCO website, is frequently wrong.

Example, until very recently both websites were telling Irish / British citizens respectively that their passports needed to be valid for at least 6 months in order to enter Bulgaria.

As has been said, the only authority to advise on entry requirements for a particular country, is the country itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Example, until very recently both websites were telling Irish / British citizens respectively that their passports needed to be valid for at least 6 months in order to enter Bulgaria.
    LOL! As a resident of Bulgaria I can confirm that the above statement from the DFA/FOC is complete bullocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Apologies if asked before.

I have a 3mth old baby, and we currently reside outside Ireland.

Before I go to the trouble of submitting an application for a passport is there any way to validate photos before they are witnessed and submitted?

Main reason being it's tricky to get the 3mth old posing nicely .. whilst the photo's we have look within guidelines I'd prefer to be safe then sorry.

TIA

Apologies if asked before.

I have a 3mth old baby, and we currently reside outside Ireland.

Before I go to the trouble of submitting an application for a passport is there any way to validate photos before they are witnessed and submitted?

Main reason being it's tricky to get the 3mth old posing nicely .. whilst the photo's we have look within guidelines I'd prefer to be safe then sorry.

TIA

In the PPO in Ireland with a three month old, once you can see all of the head and it's not too far away you would usually be fine, however i've heard some horror stories about local embassy staff (germany...ahem) being over strict on this, I'd say its rare though. TBH just try your best and follow the guidelines as much as possible. I know thats easier said than done with a three month old though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Hi all
    If I apply by post for a new passport do I have to send off my current one? So for a period I will have none?
    If I am booking flights what happens if I put my current passport number in and then by the time I am flying it has expired or I have the new passport (I presume it will have a different number?). Does the old one automatically expire when the new one is issued? I assume they keep the old one?
    It's just that I have to book a few trips over the coming months and my passport is shortly due to expire.
    Would greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Hi all
    If I apply by post for a new passport do I have to send off my current one? So for a period I will have none?
    If I am booking flights what happens if I put my current passport number in and then by the time I am flying it has expired or I have the new passport (I presume it will have a different number?). Does the old one automatically expire when the new one is issued? I assume they keep the old one?
    It's just that I have to book a few trips over the coming months and my passport is shortly due to expire.
    Would greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks

Apply by Passport Express, you need to include your previous passport but will only be without it for about 10 working days. You shouldn't need your Passport number to book flights, only to check in online. It will be a different number, also the previous passport will be cancelled when submitted to the passport office, it should be returned to you though (not that its of any use).

Thanks, but I definitely do need my passport number to book the flights!
    Also - how reliable is the 10 working days? Will I definitely have it back by then?

Thanks, but I definitely do need my passport number to book the flights!
    Also - how reliable is the 10 working days? Will I definitely have it back by then?

At the moment, more than likely it will be less than ten days, it's only usually peak times like summer that it would take longer.

Thanks
    But what should I do about the passport number if I need to book flights now and I will have the new passport on the flight date?

Thanks
    But what should I do about the passport number if I need to book flights now and I will have the new passport on the flight date?

Where are you booking flights to that you need the passport number when booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ragin_spice

HELP!!
    Applied at the counter last Monday (5th), status on the tracker changed to registered on 6th and then being checked on 7th. It's now the 13th and it's still being checked. I am flying on Friday morning so I need my passport by then! Date for collection on the piece of paper I was given at the counter is 15th, but my passport still needs to go through approved, printed and ready for collection stages on the tracker. WHY is it taking so long :(

Do you think I should wait til 15th and call up to the office for collection (like I was told to do the date I went into the office), even if the status doesn't change online?

FREAKING OUT! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Mine cleared all those stages in 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ragin_spice

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Mine cleared all those stages in 1 day.

That makes me VERY happy. I just keep thinking about the amount of money I will lose if I don't get it.

And what makes me even more angry is that I don't think I even needed to get a new one now! My old passport was out of date in May and I was stupidly told that it needs to be valid for 6 months after travel date (which I don't think is true).

I hope to god that I get my passport on 15th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Hey,

Does anyone know how long a passport has to be valid for with Ryanair?

I have to go to the U.K within the next three weeks and my passport is out of date in May.

Am I OK to travel in March or would I need a new passport? Or does it need to be valid for three months?

I have looked on the Ryanair website and can't find anything at all.

Would appreciate any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

HELP!!
    Applied at the counter last Monday (5th), status on the tracker changed to registered on 6th and then being checked on 7th. It's now the 13th and it's still being checked. I am flying on Friday morning so I need my passport by then! Date for collection on the piece of paper I was given at the counter is 15th, but my passport still needs to go through approved, printed and ready for collection stages on the tracker. WHY is it taking so long :(

Do you think I should wait til 15th and call up to the office for collection (like I was told to do the date I went into the office), even if the status doesn't change online?

FREAKING OUT! Thanks!

If you were given a collection date of the 15th, then your passport will be ready on that day. Don't watch the online tracker like a hawk, there is no point. It is meaningless. It won't update until the day your passport is printed. You did the smart thing going to the public counter so chill out!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Hey,

Does anyone know how long a passport has to be valid for with Ryanair?

I have to go to the U.K within the next three weeks and my passport is out of date in May.

Am I OK to travel in March or would I need a new passport? Or does it need to be valid for three months?

I have looked on the Ryanair website and can't find anything at all.

Would appreciate any help.

Seeing as an Irish passport holder can legally enter the UK from Ireland without a passport (ferry etc.) I would be very surprised if Ryanair expect you to have spare months on your perfectly valid passport. However, only Ryanair can confirm so I'd ring them. If you can't get through, I wouldn't panic over it.

Ok, just found this on their site:

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION

It is each passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that he or she has valid travel documentation which meets the requirements of Ryanair, immigration and other authorities at every destination. Please also note that

A valid travel document is required by all passengers travelling on Ryanair flights (including infants)

A passport for travel outside the EEA (European Economic Area) must be valid for period of intended stay

Looks like you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

livinsane wrote: »
    Seeing as an Irish passport holder can legally enter the UK from Ireland without a passport (ferry etc.) I would be very surprised if Ryanair expect you to have spare months on your perfectly valid passport. However, only Ryanair can confirm so I'd ring them. If you can't get through, I wouldn't panic over it.

Ok, just found this on their site:

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION

It is each passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that he or she has valid travel documentation which meets the requirements of Ryanair, immigration and other authorities at every destination. Please also note that

A valid travel document is required by all passengers travelling on Ryanair flights (including infants)

A passport for travel outside the EEA (European Economic Area) must be valid for period of intended stay

Looks like you should be fine.
    Thank you so much.

I might give them a call just to confirm anyway. Don't want any surprises after booking flights.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

Don't bother ringing them, your passport is valid until the day of expiry all throughout the EU.

Don't bother ringing them, your passport is valid until the day of expiry all throughout the EU.

Quite right, and Ryanair will accept it.

But that's not a formula to be relied upon with Ryanair. For example, legally British and Irish citizens can move among the CTA without the need to carry a passport. Ryanair are the only airline that don't respect this.

Quite right, and Ryanair will accept it.

But that's not a formula to be relied upon with Ryanair. For example, legally British and Irish citizens can move among the CTA without the need to carry a passport. Ryanair are the only airline that don't respect this.

For the specific question that was asked it is the formula to be relied upon. If I was answering a different question then maybe i'd have included what you stated.

For the specific question that was asked it is the formula to be relied upon.

What, the formula that the law says it's allowed so Ryanair must allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ryanair state that you must have a valid passport.

How long its valid after your journey ends is completely irrelevent

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭joebre

Was printing a boarding card for 2 friends travelling with Aer Lingus.
    Noticed that the last name of one was Morne rather than Moran !
    Should they ring Customer Service and ask for name to be changed and hope no fee will be charged?
    Is it too big a risk to be stopped at airport and have to pay €100 rack leg for name change ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this

My sister (shes 17) has never had a passport before and will need to travel from England to Ireland for a funeral very soon. This means she cant apply for an express passport and so will not have one for a potential flight over here. Any ideas of what she can do?

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement