Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Hi
    Have been checking online but can't find an answer to this, when moving from an Irish child passport to an adult passport do I need to enclose a birth certificate? Am leaning towards no but not 100% sure.
    Thanks

It seems you must apply for a PSC card before your first application for an adult passport. I don't think you need a birth cert if you are moving from a child to an adult passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

wilser wrote: »
    Hi
    Have been checking online but can't find an answer to this, when moving from an Irish child passport to an adult passport do I need to enclose a birth certificate? Am leaning towards no but not 100% sure.
    Thanks

I'm wasn't sure either but when I did it last year, I enclosed it & it was returned with the new passport so if you have one handy put it in, won't hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

It seems you must apply for a PSC card before your first application for an adult passport. I don't think you need a birth cert if you are moving from a child to an adult passport.

Thanks for the quick reply, didn't realise you needed a PSC card first, it is for my niece so will check if she has one.
    She doesn't have a birth cert handy and I also don't think she needs it but the form isn't really clear on it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tipperary Iron

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Well seeing as the Dept of Foreign Affairs issues the passports, I would go with their advice
    He mentioned taking my CHILD to the Garda station with me, so I am not sure he understood my question properly. I replied to his email asking for clarification, but still not heard back. I probably have to send a new query. Wouldn't you think the website would tell me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

He mentioned taking my CHILD to the Garda station with me, so I am not sure he understood my question properly. I replied to his email asking for clarification, but still not heard back. I probably have to send a new query. Wouldn't you think the website would tell me?
    if you are the parent and the other person is your child, then its your child.

Even when youre 99 and they are 70 or whatever, its still your child.
    It doesnt mean that they are A child when they are over 18, but they are still your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tipperary Iron

Even when youre 99 and they are 70 or whatever, its still your child.

I guess you are right, thank you!

Malee wrote: »
    Here is a link to the current turnaround times. Think this is updated every week.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

They say:
    The Passport Express service by An Post aims to have the passport back to the applicant within 15 working days (three weeks) of posting the application, provided that the form and documentation are in order.
    And
    The Passport Service aims to process applications within 15 working days of receipt.

Are these things contradictory or are there two different services? I used Passport Express on a Monday thinking I'd have it three Mondays after that. But the tracker says it'll have it for me on the Tuesday as they seem to start the clock from the day the application reaches them.

Also, I see a lot of people on Twitter complaining that the tracker doesn't move. Mine actually has just moved from 'received' to 'processing'. Anyone experience of the timeframe once you get to the processing stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Somebody on twitter today tweeting the passport office about his passport card not being accepted at Frankfurt. He was a journalist from RTE. Hopefully this will get sorted. Though I am not travelling to Frankfurt I plan on travelling on my passport card in a few weeks to Dubrovnik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

See below
    Tony O'Donoghue‏Verified account @Corktod Feb 25
    More
    Dear @GermanyDiplo Very disappointed that my new Irish passport card not accepted while transiting in Frankfurt Thurs Can @dfatirl explain?
    Irish Passport
    ‏Verified account @PassportIRL

Follow
    More
    @Corktod Hi Tony, was it not accepted by the e-gates or by a border official? @dfatirl
    Tony O'Donoghue‏Verified account @Corktod 8h8 hours ago
    More
    @PassportIRL @dfatirl first e-gates, then border official who said it wasn't a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

My appointment went shockingly straightforward. He told me yeah pick it up Friday! Hopefully as simple as it seemed

You only need a psc card if your first passport was issued after 2005 I think. Double check it. I just applied for my first adult passport and didn't need one :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

damianmcr wrote: »
    Somebody on twitter today tweeting the passport office about his passport card not being accepted at Frankfurt. He was a journalist from RTE. Hopefully this will get sorted. Though I am not travelling to Frankfurt I plan on travelling on my passport card in a few weeks to Dubrovnik.

Sounds like an overly zealous border guard. The vast majority of passport cards must have been accepted by other countries by now. Otherwise the complaints would be more widespread.

Surely to God they should all be familiar/trained up on accepting these passport cards by now. With regard to the pp card not being a passport..... on the back of the passport card it says it's a passport.

They say:

And

Are these things contradictory or are there two different services? I used Passport Express on a Monday thinking I'd have it three Mondays after that. But the tracker says it'll have it for me on the Tuesday as they seem to start the clock from the day the application reaches them.

Also, I see a lot of people on Twitter complaining that the tracker doesn't move. Mine actually has just moved from 'received' to 'processing'. Anyone experience of the timeframe once you get to the processing stage?

They are one and the same.

It's a target of 15 working days. Just because they "aim" to turnaround your application in 15 working days doesn't necessarily mean they will. They may issue it sooner or later than the target of 15 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I'm using passport express.

Must I pay the post office the €80.00 for my passport or can I just fill in my credit card details in section 1 and pay the post office the €9.50 for the service?

Are you saying you MUST pay the post office if you are using passport express?

Yeah what I done was I was after writing my bank details and bringing my card to the actual passport office, but he just scribbled them out and took my card to pay, passport express is meant to cost an extra 50 euro and instead of 140 he only charged me 95 so was pretty sound about it.

• Advertisement

Are you saying you MUST pay the post office if you are using passport express?

Yes. You must. The Post Office run the Passport Express service on behalf of the Passport Office (well, the public-facing element of it, anyway).

They'll charge you €89.50. €9.50 goes to the Post Office, and €80.00 goes to the Passport Office.

Thanks for the clarification.

Section 1 asks for a "Payment Method" and includes credit card options. What I took from that was that I could fill in my credit card details and let the passport office be paid that way and pay anpost their fee only.

There is no mention in the accompanying notes of section 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Section 1 is unclear when using passport express , I'd say the post office are tired of having to scribble it out.

Yeah it is a bit confusing actually.. there's no option for 'pay at counter' if you were going to the passport office..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Post offices only take debit cards not credit cards afaik. I renewed my passport last summer and had to pay the full amount on my debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PN87

Hi would anyone here in the know be aware if turnaround times for express renewals are significantly out?
    Read comments from FG TD Alan Farrell today that in reality turnaround times are 25-30 days at the moment due to huge demand.
    I used express myself and left 19 working days before travel but am a bit concerned due to the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've had a few friends renew in the past few weeks and they're pretty much on time if they're renewals. Delays for first time passports though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PN87

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've had a few friends renew in the past few weeks and they're pretty much on time if they're renewals. Delays for first time passports though.

Thanks athtrasna, might be worrying about nothing so was just surprised to see him saying it as turnaround times haven't changed on the DFA website, suppose all I can do is wait and hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

PN87 wrote: »
    Hi would anyone here in the know be aware if turnaround times for express renewals are significantly out?
    Read comments from FG TD Alan Farrell today that in reality turnaround times are 25-30 days at the moment due to huge demand.
    I used express myself and left 19 working days before travel but am a bit concerned due to the above.

The ONLY source for turnaround information is from the Passport Office not a TD trying to get his name in the papers.

Also the passport card is valid in the countries mentioned. If it is refused it is because of a customs agent as entry to any country is at the discretion of immigration authorities.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement