Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can, the passport thing isn't a requirement it's just the airline look for it, ring your airline and see what they say or get the boat http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm

Completely inaccurate information.

You absolute, 100% need a passport or passport card to go to France as an Irish citizen - plane, boat, swim there yourself, its irrelevant. We are not in Schengen, we only have passport free travel to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

That's correct, you cannot enter France (or any EU country other than the UK) as an Irish or British citizen without a passport.

You've still got absolute freedom of movement as an Irish or UK citizen around the EU but you must have your passport.

Even for Schegen Passport Free countries, those rules typically still require your national ID card (something neither Ireland or Britain have) to be produced on demand at any time and they're increasingly checking at borders or near them.

You can also be asked for ID at random (rarely happens in France) but in high security scenarios it's become more common. For example you could have your bags randomly searched eg at a major railway station.

Do not even think about entering France by ferry without a passport, especially in their current state of emergency.

You'd be potentially be arrested for being without documentation until your identity could be proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mec27 wrote: »
    What do people make of my proposal about obtaining my new passport number and expiry date? I'd probably need it by Monday which isn't going to happy but even if I got it by wednesday I should receive the card by the latest the following friday.

You need your passport info to apply for the card and need to have a valid passport, you have neither at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Go to the passport office in Dublin or Cork *with your tickets or boarding passes* and explain you need it urgently.

They can sometimes speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,564 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ring the passport office and explain that you need it urgently - they can usually prioritise cases like yours.

As above though you must have a passport travelling to France. Ireland is not part of Schengen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 elthon

athtrasna wrote: »
    Yes, you just said it was your first time but now I understand it's your first renewal.

Passport express doesn't exist any more tbh, it's a postal service for passports and the main way of applying. Ignore the delivery date on the form, check the turnaround time on the website and keep trying to get them on the phone.

good news its on its 14th working day turn around passport time, and it updated yesterday to stage 3, i can only pray it get it before the 2nd for travelling to the usa , and they replied to me via twitter, and have given them my app number, so hopefully some action will be taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

elthon wrote: »
    good news its on its 14th working day turn around passport time, and it updated yesterday to stage 3, i can only pray it get it before the 2nd for travelling to the usa , and they replied to me via twitter, and have given them my app number, so hopefully some action will be taken

If it's gone to stage three yesterday, chances are it'll be at stage 6 by the end of today, and with you Monday or Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5 elthon

If it's gone to stage three yesterday, chances are it'll be at stage 6 by the end of today, and with you Monday or Tuesday

yay , thank you so much, for all the help guys, they just called me and told me it'll be here by tuesday , absolutely relieved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Passport website says -

"You need to include these documents when you’re making your passport application. Please note if your child’s passport was issued on or after January 1st 2005 you do not need to submit the birth certificate, unless you are submitting a sole guardian affidavit/court order or your child’s birth has been re-registered since their most recent passport was issued."

Yet back of the app form under checklist says "your most recent Irish passport, if applicable (if under 18 enclose your birth certificate also)

Which one is correct ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Reckon it will speed it up? Its not such a big deal, worst comes to worse I'm in France for the last 16 and beyond(and hopefully Ireland are there) but I'm meant to be going for the summer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

L1011 wrote: »
    Completely inaccurate information.

You absolute, 100% need a passport or passport card to go to France as an Irish citizen - plane, boat, swim there yourself, its irrelevant. We are not in Schengen, we only have passport free travel to the UK.

It doesn't read like that, haven't been on the ferry to France are you sure your asked to produce a passport?

It says: You must still show a valid ID card or passport when travelling to or from Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom.

It says ID or Passport.

It doesn't read like that, haven't been on the ferry to France are you sure your asked to produce a passport?

It says: You must still show a valid ID card or passport when travelling to or from Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom.

It says ID or Passport.

ID = National ID card that other countries produce.

Coming from Ireland into any Schengen country you must have a passport or passport card or national ID card as applicable.

Nothing else will suffice.

Mec27 wrote: »
    Reckon it will speed it up? Its not such a big deal, worst comes to worse I'm in France for the last 16 and beyond(and hopefully Ireland are there) but I'm meant to be going for the summer anyway.

Just ring them and explain your situation ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it the first passport you ever lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I had the worst **** up when i was applying for my first stand alone passport 2 years ago. I was 18 at the time.

I filled out the form, had it stamped and all the relevant documents were sent off. 3 weeks later they send it back, saying i need my parents to sign it as i was under 18... they had be f**ing birth cert.

Sent it back, they then said i was over 18 and my parents shouldnt of signed it. Eventually got my passport 3 weeks later.

I applied for as i needed ID for my secondary school grad night. I didn't have it time, so i went out on the tuesday, no id, didn't get in, went home, woke up, passport arrived :(

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

You can get a passport in an emergency here - https://www.passportappointments.ie

I followed this procedure a few months ago and got my passport in advance of travel at short notice.

How much extra is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Ring passport office and arrange to call in to collect passport - you'll have to join a queue but it'll speed things up considerably. Shouldn't be too long - passed it on Mount Street this morning at 8am and around a dozen people waiting. From the look of them, would guess most were similarly unprepared Euro 2016 travellers.

Adult – €55
    Under 18s – €30

Bottom of this page - https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/passport-fees/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

So you haven't got your actual passport - but if you had it would be in date, right?
    If you had a copy of your passport anywhere (I always keep a copy in my email in case I lose mine when I'm away) then surely you'd have all the details to apply online or via the app for the new passport card?

If he has already applied for the passport they can take it out of the queue and process it faster. You can even collect it from the office so you are not relying on the post.

Brilliant, thanks everyone, so I just tweeted them.

lxflyer wrote: »
    ID = National ID card that other countries produce.

Coming from Ireland into any Schengen country you must have a passport or passport card or national ID card as applicable.

Nothing else will suffice.

Do we have National ID cards? Would be handy to have an alternative to passports for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Do we have National ID cards? Would be handy to have an alternative to passports for Europe.

No we don't.
    Not likely to either - it would be a political hot potato.

SarahS2013 wrote: »

That's not an ID card - it's a passport card, to get one of which you must already have a passport.

Many countries in Europe issue a national ID card which doubles up as personal services card etc. In some countries they're compulsory, but that would raise all sorts of issues with civil liberties groups here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DLonestar

vicwatson wrote: »
    Passport website says -

"You need to include these documents when you re making your passport application. Please note if your child s passport was issued on or after January 1st 2005 you do not need to submit the birth certificate, unless you are submitting a sole guardian affidavit/court order or your child s birth has been re-registered since their most recent passport was issued."

Yet back of the app form under checklist says "your most recent Irish passport, if applicable (if under 18 enclose your birth certificate also)

Which one is correct ?
    Not having the from to hand its difficult to say, but my interpretation of the quote from the form is that a birth cert would be required for a 16-18 year old that may previously have had a childrens passport, but now requires a 10 year adult license. (hence your and not your childs passport is referenced)

The quote on from the website would appear to be relevant to a Parent applying for a childs passport (i.e. under 16 years old). If there is an existing childs passport issued after 2005, no birth cert is required.

I assume birth certs on applications before 2005 are being kept on file. A 16 year old who may have had a childs passport previously may have had this prior to 2005 and hence the requirement for birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DLonestar

vicwatson wrote: »
    Passport website says -

"You need to include these documents when you re making your passport application. Please note if your child s passport was issued on or after January 1st 2005 you do not need to submit the birth certificate, unless you are submitting a sole guardian affidavit/court order or your child s birth has been re-registered since their most recent passport was issued."

Which one is correct ?
    Not having the from to hand its difficult to say, but my interpretation of the quote from the form is that a birth cert would be required for a 16-18 year old that may previously have had a childrens passport, but now requires a 10 year adult license. (hence "your" and not "your childs" passport is referenced)

The quote on from the website would appear to be relevant to a Parent applying for a childs passport (i.e. under 16 years old). If there is an existing childs passport issued after 2005, no birth cert is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So if you are applying for the renewal of a childs passport that was issued after January 1st 2005 then you don't have to send their birth cert right??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement